Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

This is a game we can look at and say with a little confidence that Love is, at least, capable of performing decent at this level. Some really nice throws today. There were mistakes, sure, but he gave us some glimpses of what he can provide. If he can only become more consistent with his downfield throws, then we’ll be looking good.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The broadcast mentioned it yesterday, Love is trying to place the ball right now, which is something that wasn't happened earlier in the year. That's why we are getting a lot of short balls. It stems from a lack of confidence. That is one thing I want out of this team and Love, continue to improve and play with a level of confidence on offensive. Really need to get into a good rhythm and be able to trust everyone on the field.

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

short ball accuracy hopefully leads to deep ball accuracy, plus a confidence builder for Love

to me the short passing is a result of lack of a run game and the hope of getting the ball out prior to the pass rush forcing bad decisions and poor throws, I felt we had a better mix yesterday, and several very nice intermediate throws.

better pass pro was evident too, at least most of the game anyway, Love took 4 sacks, but over all I'am guessing less total pressures.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

His deep accuracy again looked just really bad. He will never be anything in this league if he cant connect down the field. To make matters worse he underthrows everything which is really going to start leading to a lot of INTs which we saw last week. If the Rams werent so bad I think we would have saw more this week too. Next week will be interesting to watch.

He underthrew Watson in the endzone that some people label a drop. To me that was more of a bad throw than a bad catch. The one Watson had to bail him out on down the field was another poorly underthrown ball.

His short to intermediate throws were really good all game I felt. Last week he was constantly off enough to make everything difficult for the receivers. We didnt see that this week which is a plus.

Pocket awareness is still very bad. He either bails to early or he just sits there like a statue. He needs to get better at extending plays and keeping things alive to get the ball to his receivers. I feel like he senses pressure really poorly. Its one of the few things Ive criticized of his game that I will say you cant develop without live reps. This definitely comes down to youth.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think the, "he senses pressure poorly" is a direct result of pressure success in prior games, the free rushers, the constant lack of anchor ability at times from several different oL positions, I think thats had a affect, and is taking toime for him to over come that, your right he has to , same with deep ball accuracy, hopefully the OL keeps doing better, Jones stays healthy, receivers continue to improve, stuff Love needs to help his composure.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The Musgrave throw.

I keep thinking it was a poor ball that should have been a touchdown but every time I see the "behind the QB look" I see a Ram and Wicks right behind in the EZ.

So maybe the Musgrave throw wasn't as bad after all? :idn:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Nov 2023 11:11
The one Watson had to bail him out on down the field was another poorly underthrown ball.
You mean the one at the 40 sec mark? Another poorly underthrown ball? :dunno:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
06 Nov 2023 14:07
lupedafiasco wrote:
The one Watson had to bail him out on down the field was another poorly underthrown ball.

Watson has to slow down, turn his entire body around and back pedal to make the play on the ball.

A good throw and Watson is running, watching it in stride and going for a TD, provided he catches it. He made a great throw. That wasnt a good one from Love.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Nov 2023 14:09
APB wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Watson has to slow down, turn his entire body around and back pedal to make the play on the ball.

A good throw and Watson is running, watching it in stride and going for a TD, provided he catches it. He made a great throw. That wasnt a good one from Love.
You're assuming Watson a) ran a correct/good route and b) made a good adjustment on the ball. Both of these assumptions go against arguments you yourself have made against Watson in the very recent past.

I haven't seen the All-22 but it appears Watson may have curled his route to the outside while Love threw the ball to lead him upfield. We'll likely never know if either is correct but I think saying definitively that "Love threw another poorly underthrown ball" is a bit premature.

Hell, Watson had to leap up into the air just to snag it. Not sure how you can even argue it's underthrown...?

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I’m noticing the young receivers holding on to the ball a little tighter. Wicks fumbled but locked on to the ball after that.

These young guys are learning.

Aaron Jones is fumbling too much. Unless it’s critical to get a 1st down or TD, I wish he would just go down after his second effort when he has numerous tacklers on him. He seems to fumble on his 3rd and 4th efforts when he has no chance of breaking free. Just go down and live for another play.
Love is the answer…

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

APB wrote:
06 Nov 2023 14:20
lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Nov 2023 14:09
APB wrote:

You're assuming Watson a) ran a correct/good route and b) made a good adjustment on the ball. Both of these assumptions go against arguments you yourself have made against Watson in the very recent past.

I haven't seen the All-22 but it appears Watson may have curled his route to the outside while Love threw the ball to lead him upfield. We'll likely never know if either is correct but I think saying definitively that "Love threw another poorly underthrown ball" is a bit premature.

Hell, Watson had to leap up into the air just to snag it. Not sure how you can even argue it's underthrown...?
The long pass to Watson needed to be thrown a second sooner. Watson was wide open for an uncontested reception.

But I am nitpicking. I thought Love played a great game with no bad decisions, 1 aggreguous underthrow, but a bunch of great throws as well.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

AmishMafia wrote:
06 Nov 2023 15:34
The long pass to Watson needed to be thrown a second sooner. Watson was wide open for an uncontested reception.
It was also a 5-step drop. Love hit his back foot, set, and tossed it. Not sure how you speed up the throw on that particular play design.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I had a pretty good view of that pass from the opposite end of the field. I actually looked at Watson shortly after the ball was snapped, saw him coming open deep and got super excited that Love saw it and threw his way. The ball went behind the part of the field where I was looking as the ideal target for that throw.

As I recall, there was open field in front of Watson all the way to the sideline, and I am pretty sure that wherever the Safety was (can't recall), he was not in a position to have made a play on the ball anywhere in that space where IMO the ball should have gone. I felt like Love needed to lead him more.

It's possible that he was trying to lead Watson up the field, given that Watson had to also jump to come down with it even after slowing, and maybe the route was not run properly by him (#9 is not known for being a master of this craft). But my gut instinct is to say the ball needed to be better.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Every long pass I can think of that Love has attempted to Watson in particular has been underthrown; there is not one instance of him overshooting #9 so far this year. Is there?

I'm sure Love realizes that Watson is fast and the ball needs to travel farther, but I think even with that in mind, Love just keeps underselling just how fast the guy is. :idn: Like, our receiving group is not slow, and yet the gap between Watson and the next fastest guy is more than a little.
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Love aims his passes. He doesnt trust his accuracy. He needs to get a look at where he wants to throw the ball and quickly trust his cooridnation from there. Accuracy is about instinct and hand eye coordination. Most pro athletes have the coordination to be accurate, they just interfere with that instinct when they overthink it and mentally manually try to "aim" the ball.

Its like putting in golf. When i overanalyze the putt for 5 minutes and try to go back and forth with precise precision, I get mechanical and screw it up. When I just get a good look and the target at naturally and fluidly just make the putt, coordination and instincts get it to where it needs to go.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The ball traveled 45+ yds through the air.

You guys are nit-picking a +/- 1 yard placement on a 45+ yd throw.

I'm beginning to think expectations may be a little skewed, likely due to the previous 15 years of QB play in GB.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
06 Nov 2023 16:16
Every long pass I can think of that Love has attempted to Watson in particular has been underthrown; there is not one instance of him overshooting #9 so far this year. Is there?

I'm sure Love realizes that Watson is fast and the ball needs to travel farther, but I think even with that in mind, Love just keeps underselling just how fast the guy is. :idn: Like, our receiving group is not slow, and yet the gap between Watson and the next fastest guy is more than a little.
:?:

Uhhhhh....the play in question??

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

APB wrote:
06 Nov 2023 16:22
Labrev wrote:

The throw was high, but not overthrown. It's high and behind. It needed to go further in front of him/longer.
—Magneto

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Labrev wrote:
06 Nov 2023 17:42
The throw was high, but not overthrown. It's high and behind. It needed to go further in front of him/longer.
The defender was further up the field than Watson. If the throw had been longer and/or higher, wouldn't that have given the defender a better chance? :dunno:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
06 Nov 2023 17:42
APB wrote:
06 Nov 2023 16:22
Labrev wrote:

But it refutes your first statement. It certainly wasn’t under thrown, was it?