Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Nov 2023 09:53
paco wrote:
13 Nov 2023 09:41
Drj820 wrote:
13 Nov 2023 09:36

giants gave jones a horrible contract, and got to see him for a few years before they made the bad decision. I think Murphy wanted to know at about half the season, but he def needs longer to evaluate. Too many bad things going on around Love to get a true read...and lucky for him..he doesnt have to know yet! Love is under contract next year, so murphy can feel free to do nothing until at least the offseason. The try out is still ongoing!
If you're Love, do you have any intention of playing on your current deal next season? I certainly wouldn't.
I dont think he has any choice unless his play becomes amazing and we continue to not give him a better deal.

At this point, i dont think he has much leverage.
I think he has plenty. If the Packers have no intention of drafting a replacement, are they going to threaten to get a vet or go with Clifford if Love holds out? Love, at minimum, should hold the Packers feet to the fire. Commit or let me go.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
13 Nov 2023 10:37
Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:

If you're Love, do you have any intention of playing on your current deal next season? I certainly wouldn't.
I dont think he has any choice unless his play becomes amazing and we continue to not give him a better deal.

I think he has plenty. If the Packers have no intention of drafting a replacement, are they going to threaten to get a vet or go with Clifford if Love holds out? Love, at minimum, should hold the Packers feet to the fire. Commit or let me go.
I think he would have done that this year with the 5th year option if he was going to go that route. Love is playing fine, but if he wanted to play hardball, we could easily get to 3-7 with someone else at QB
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:

They will definitely have an intention of drafting a replacement, armed with a Top-10 pick in a draft that's deep at QB, if he does THAT.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Labrev wrote:
13 Nov 2023 10:50
paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

They will definitely have an intention of drafting a replacement, armed with a Top-10 pick in a draft that's deep at QB, if he does THAT.
Then maybe its best for everyone. :idn: Regardless, I have a hard time seeing us going into next season with the QB situation we have today, or at least not the contract situation.
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yeah, I don't think Love has much leverage at all. If he was playing lights out then he would. But he is a bottom 5 preferred starter (non-injury replacement) in the league right now.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
paco wrote:

Not a single other team would be bidding for Love as they’re starting QB in FA. He would at the very best be a bridge QB in Teddy B territory. Young enough to possibly have potential and kick the tires on but in no way are you banking your franchise in him.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

paco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
13 Nov 2023 09:36
paco wrote:
13 Nov 2023 09:08
Legit question.
giants gave jones a horrible contract, and got to see him for a few years before they made the bad decision. I think Murphy wanted to know at about half the season, but he def needs longer to evaluate. Too many bad things going on around Love to get a true read...and lucky for him..he doesnt have to know yet! Love is under contract next year, so murphy can feel free to do nothing until at least the offseason. The try out is still ongoing!
I'm not aware of the possibilities, but what WOULD you do? I understand those players that outperformed their contract and that the team really, really want's back. But, with over half the season gone and no real indication that Love is going to be IT, does he have any leverage?

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Half Empty wrote:
13 Nov 2023 13:10
paco wrote:
I'm not aware of the possibilities, but what WOULD you do? I understand those players that outperformed their contract and that the team really, really want's back. But, with over half the season gone and no real indication that Love is going to be IT, does he have any leverage?
Assuming that Love does not improve dramatically, why would he want to go anywhere else? A new coach, a new system, all new WR's. This is a big gamble on failure for him. If he stays and makes steady improvement, he will get paid in GB and in the meantime he is the starter.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

At this point Love should be happy to he is pretty much guaranteed another chance to start at QB next year. He looks to be focused on putting out great tape, not his 2024 check. The check will easily come if his play gets hot.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

paco wrote:
Love hasn't come even close to playing well enough for him to think about holding out for a new contract next offseason. If that happens I expect the Packers to move on from him and take the $7 million of dead money counting against their cap in 2024.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It's designed to not give up explosive PASS plays, which they haven't, just getting gashed so hard in the run that even bad QBs can beat us. :aok:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
14 Nov 2023 14:00
It's designed to not give up explosive PASS plays, which they haven't, just getting gashed so hard in the run that even bad QBs can beat us. :aok:
They are middle of the road in giving up explosive pass plays though.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Nov 2023 14:04
Labrev wrote:
Tied for 8th by my count.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
14 Nov 2023 14:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
14 Nov 2023 14:04
Labrev wrote:
Tied for 8th by my count.
I was going by percentage, which was 14th, I believe.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Love would be foolish to hold out for a new contract at this point. If he were to demand a new contract and we were to give it, it would be a below market value contract. Not a chance he's getting 4 yr 160 at this point. If he continues to improve, I expect he has a new deal by week8/9 next season.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Love will get a nice contract from the Packers.
Love should get a nice contract from the Packers.
Love is possibly underperforming in some ways, or at least inconsistent (accuracy?). But he is steadily making more plays, even against good defenses.

We need to pay him. He won't get top tier pay. But he should get a nice check.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Sorry I don't post much when the Packers aren't good, but when the Packers aren't good, I want to spend less of my free time typing and thinking and talking about the Packers. I'm still wearing green and gold and rooting on Sundays.

But I did want to drop by with a thought or two, which is basically this:

The Packers' schedule and results have broken down to paint a really clear picture.

The team has played 9 games. Five of those games have been 1-score games.

The 1-score games have been against teams that are:
6-3
5-5
5-5
4-6
4-5

The 6-3 team has been outgained by every opponent, but knows how to win.

The Packers have won two games fairly convincingly, against teams who are
3-7
3-6

The Packers have also lost two games convincingly against teams who are
7-3
6-4

It's pretty clear that the Packers aren't good enough to beat good teams, are good enough to beat bad teams and belong squarely in the middle group, with all the mediocre teams hovering around .500, where each game has been competitive and most come down to the last few plays.

But the Packers are 1-4 in those 1-score games. Because they just don't know how to win.

Now, they could be too young. They could have poor leadership/coaching. They could have a QB who just can't get it done in the big moments. They could have some combination of the 3. And I guess that's probably what everyone is trying to figure out.

But it does seem clear to me that despite the W/L record showing we're more like the teams we beat resoundingly than the teams we lost to by a FG or two along the way, we're emerging as a team like that middle tier group.

And I say that only to say that while the WINS have gone decidedly worse than I expected, and I thought we'd be competing with Minnesota for that playoff slot.... the season is in large part going just how we anticipated. We're a mediocre team going through growing pains. For a minute, I had convinced myself that we're just a bad team.

But then the Raiders and Broncos kept winning and I re-evaluated.

So I guess my stance is "not ready to blow it up yet," but also "need to see some growth and development if we want to stay on this path and find any success."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Scott4Pack wrote:
14 Nov 2023 15:36
Love will get a nice contract from the Packers.
Love should get a nice contract from the Packers.
Love is possibly underperforming in some ways, or at least inconsistent (accuracy?). But he is steadily making more plays, even against good defenses.

We need to pay him. He won't get top tier pay. But he should get a nice check.
Love us a bottom 5 preferred started (in, not starting due to injury). He is the type of player you look to replace. Can he get better, say to be an average starter? Maybe, but he isn't there now.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

There are like 8 or 9 first rounders on the defense, if that didn’t equate to being in close games against mid teams then everyone should be fired yesterday