Thanksgiving Postgame: Packers 29 Lions 22

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Foosball wrote:
24 Nov 2023 12:16
Pugger wrote:
23 Nov 2023 18:24
German_Panzer wrote:
23 Nov 2023 15:28

And our kicker missed another extra point. It's starting to grab my attention. The last thing you want to worry about is a shaky kicker once you go for a SB (which could be as soon as in 24).

But that's not even a footnote today. An injury-riddled young team, in the midst of a tough season, comes to Detroit and shatters its wet dream (for now), essentially avenging what they did to us last season. Kudos! MLF still may look like a schoolboy to Campbell, but who cares as long as the results are coming.
I have worries about our kicker too. He has the leg (he came up 5 yards short on that 65 yard FG try at the end of the first half) but we can't have a guy miss x-tra points like this.
I never liked the draft pick. Just due to physics.

The taller the kicker or should I say the longer the leg exacerbates any variance of the kicking leg. It’s better to have a shorter kicker with shorter legs as long as they have the power to be an NFL kicker. Even a longer body will have the same effect.

If his body or the top of his leg near his hip is slightly off angle, it will be more exaggerated at the other end where his foot is compared to a shorter kicker.

Anders Carlson is friggin 6’5”. The likelihood of him being an accurate kicker is unlikely. It would require better focus, body and leg control than shorter kickers.

It’s just physics and geometry.
6'5"?? :shock: Holy cow.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

For those who stated they wanted to tank a couple weeks ago...this is what I meant when saying "it's better to win because your perception of roster holes gets smaller"

We now might have our guy at QB. We now might not have a deep need at WR or TE.

Our holes for that 2024 - 2027 window is a lot smaller.

LT, C/G, RB, S, ILB, Slot CB

That's a lot better than 3 OL, QB, WR, and the rest mentioned above. Winning as an ascending team is so important. We have a decent chance of being around 6-3 or 7-2 the 2nd half of the season. That is how you want to end seasons with a young and ascending team.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Foosball wrote:
Pugger wrote:
German_Panzer wrote:
23 Nov 2023 15:28

And our kicker missed another extra point. It's starting to grab my attention. The last thing you want to worry about is a shaky kicker once you go for a SB (which could be as soon as in 24).

But that's not even a footnote today. An injury-riddled young team, in the midst of a tough season, comes to Detroit and shatters its wet dream (for now), essentially avenging what they did to us last season. Kudos! MLF still may look like a schoolboy to Campbell, but who cares as long as the results are coming.
I have worries about our kicker too. He has the leg (he came up 5 yards short on that 65 yard FG try at the end of the first half) but we can't have a guy miss x-tra points like this.

The taller the kicker or should I say the longer the leg exacerbates any variance of the kicking leg. It’s better to have a shorter kicker with shorter legs as long as they have the power to be an NFL kicker. Even a longer body will have the same effect.

If his body or the top of his leg near his hip is slightly off angle, it will be more exaggerated at the other end where his foot is compared to a shorter kicker.

Anders Carlson is friggin 6’5”. The likelihood of him being an accurate kicker is unlikely. It would require better focus, body and leg control than shorter kickers.

I hear the science side of your argument but I don’t think physics has much to do with it, at least not as much as you assert. His Pro-Bowl kicking brother is also 6’5”. Harrison Butker is 6’4”. Aubrey is 6’3”. Boswell is 6’2”. Tucker is 6’1”.

Those are all kickers above 6’ who are among league leaders in FG accuracy.

I’d also argue a longer legged kicker is able to generate more torque in their leg swing thus generating longer distance.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

winning shuts down the tank talk, we looked like we where tanking when we traded Sully, we look like where tanking with some of these injury's, Alexander seems to play when he feels like it, his absence seems like a blessing though, in that Barry can't play his zones, and is forced to rely on pass rush to cover for the secondary youth.

Even Greg Olson said Barry is depending on the strongest aspect of his defense, and it's working, Olson had a strong Detroit bias, but he sure nailed that point

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

One of the more satisfying wins in recent memory. Just awesome, backs to the wall, team win.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
24 Nov 2023 13:28
Foosball wrote:
Pugger wrote:

I hear the science side of your argument but I don’t think physics has much to do with it, at least not as much as you assert. His Pro-Bowl kicking brother is also 6’5”. Harrison Butker is 6’4”. Aubrey is 6’3”. Boswell is 6’2”. Tucker is 6’1”.

Those are all kickers above 6’ who are among league leaders in FG accuracy.

I’d also argue a longer legged kicker is able to generate more torque in their leg swing thus generating longer distance.
Yep, jmo, I think both points are true, accuracy of toe to ball probably suffers consistency with a longer leg, while the longer leg generates more speed on contact of toe to ball, which delivers a longer ball flight, same with golf, I could really bang it with a 48" driver, while I could consistently keep the ball in the fairway though with a 45 incher, same thing :aok:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

This against supposedly the best O-Line in the league!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Holy sh*t Kenny & Karl :shock:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Foosball wrote:

I think there's a lot more to it than just physics and geometry. When you're on the edge of your range, and the extra few inches matters, then perhaps. But on things like extra points, when all NFL kickers are well within range and the best would expect to bang it through the middle, nowhere near the posts, any slight inaccuracy caused by the extra three or four inches would make no odds.

Justin Tucker has missed 6 extra points in his career. Carlson has missed 3 in 3 weeks. I don't say you're wrong about the extra height, though I think you're exaggerating it; I certainly wouldn't say you're wrong about the draft pick (1), but the reasons the draft pick may prove to be wasted are not primarily related to height.

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

[/quote] APB

[/quote]
If all other variables are ignored and….
If the same force is applied by a longer leg there is greater torque. You are absolutely correct the ball will go farther. Basic physics applied. :read:
GO PACK GO!!!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
24 Nov 2023 13:12
For those who stated they wanted to tank a couple weeks ago...this is what I meant when saying "it's better to win because your perception of roster holes gets smaller"

We now might have our guy at QB. We now might not have a deep need at WR or TE.

Our holes for that 2024 - 2027 window is a lot smaller.

LT, C/G, RB, S, ILB, Slot CB

That's a lot better than 3 OL, QB, WR, and the rest mentioned above. Winning as an ascending team is so important. We have a decent chance of being around 6-3 or 7-2 the 2nd half of the season. That is how you want to end seasons with a young and ascending team.
I never wanted us to tank but if things didn't improve getting a higher pick would be welcome.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

To me, I thought that Gutey was “tanking” the team with so many inexperienced players on offense. Not necessarily wanting the team to lose but ok if it happens in order to get higher draft picks.

It had nothing to do with LaFleur or the team. I always thought they were trying their hardest to win with what they had. Love certainly didn’t walk into the same situation that Rodgers had in his first year starting.

So my hats off to LaFleur and the team. And Jordan Love’s leadership and his ability to handle a pretty tough situation with class and an unshakeable confidence.
Love is the answer…

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Mike Wahle really praising the defense in yesterday's win.

Notable points:

1. Preston Smith was the MVP of the defense per (Wahle)
2. KC had a fantastic game
3. Isaiah McDuffie needs to play more. He said this dude brings the fire every week.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I think Preston Smith is better than he gets credit for by the armchair GM fans, but I also think Mike Whale goes a bit overboard in his love for him. He's playing good football, but defensive MVP is a bit excessive lol.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
24 Nov 2023 23:48
I think Preston Smith is better than he gets credit for by the armchair GM fans, but I also think Mike Whale goes a bit overboard in his love for him. He's playing good football, but defensive MVP is a bit excessive lol.
Yeah few inconsistencies I have seen from Wahle. I don't think McDuffie had a GREAT game and agree that Smith didn't put as much on tape as Gary did.

Anyways, it is 2023 which is a Preston peak year. I think it makes sense to move on after this season unless he takes a massive pay cut. It is time for JJ, LVN and Gary in 2024. Draft a Day 3 pass rusher as your #4 guy
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
24 Nov 2023 23:48
Okay re-watching the game. Preston Smith did get screwed from a box score standpoint.

The dude actually had two Forced Fumble Sacks and Fumble recoveries. Both were on 4th down so it didn't matter as much as they were called incomplete. But his stats for sure got taken away.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

We have entered the territory where we can start to say Love is ascending. He’s strung together 2 great games and in the past 4 games he has 3 positive games to one awful game.

These past two weeks he’s been dealing and playing consistent to move the chains. Granted against some pretty bad defenses but that’s what you need to do against though.

Now we can start talking about him being our guy for the future but he needs to continue. If he goes back into throwing 50% passing performances then we are back to where we were.
Cancelled by the forum elites.