'23 Playoff Picture

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where do we get

Win the Division
3%
Wild Card
43%
Miss the Playoffs
23%
What is a blitzer
30%

Total votes: 30

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

While I agree that getting this team in the playoffs would be a huge success and get the players some seasoning, I disagree that failure to make the playoffs constitutes failure. This team was left for dead less than a month ago, and some were fire everyone mode, now it's playoffs or bust?

My old sage Vic called it his "December friend" and by that he meant that being in the hunt for the playoffs in December was the hope. Regardless of what happens in the next 6 games, this team has already done what many thought they couldn't- be in the playoff conversation down the stretch. This experience alone will serve this young team very well IMO. I certainly don't expect that we will suddenly play mistake free football, but keep improving, and keep competing. If they can keep stacking successes then an unexpected playoff berth is there for the taking. It's something that couldn't be obtained last year BEFORE we started the rebuild. It would be quite the cherry on top of the season if they make it this year.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
29 Nov 2023 10:43
While I agree that getting this team in the playoffs would be a huge success and get the players some seasoning, I disagree that failure to make the playoffs constitutes failure. This team was left for dead less than a month ago, and some were fire everyone mode, now it's playoffs or bust?

My old sage Vic called it his "December friend" and by that he meant that being in the hunt for the playoffs in December was the hope. Regardless of what happens in the next 6 games, this team has already done what many thought they couldn't- be in the playoff conversation down the stretch. This experience alone will serve this young team very well IMO. I certainly don't expect that we will suddenly play mistake free football, but keep improving, and keep competing. If they can keep stacking successes then an unexpected playoff berth is there for the taking. It's something that couldn't be obtained last year BEFORE we started the rebuild. It would be quite the cherry on top of the season if they make it this year.
I think I was as optimistic as anyone here concerning this season, felt if Love played up to his previous exposure with real games he'd do well, what happened, pass rush flustered him early do to free rushers and basically poor OL play, couple that with health and inexperience WR's screwing up, and it made it much harder for Love to develop chemistry with them, add to that our best RB hurt, these issues imo are the fault of a slow offensive start, which now we look to be over coming.

I was expecting/hoping for double digit win season, and while thats still possible, just finishing with a winning record will leave this team and me inspired for next year.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Given Dallas or Philly will be the 5 seed.

Packers most likely looking at 6 or 7 seed.

7 would be @2 seed, SF, Dallas or Philly.

6 seed most likely looking like Detroit or SF.

I guess Detroit, Dallas, Philly, SF, the order in which I’d want to play them.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

BF004 wrote:
29 Nov 2023 11:38

I'd agree with that order, but all will be tough opponents. Would love to have the chance to play at any of them!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

If we can get a Jan 6, 1996 performance out of the defense we should be able to beat anyone.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 Nov 2023 20:01
If we can get a Jan 6, 1996 performance out of the defense we should be able to beat anyone.
I will raise your January 6, 1996 to January 22, 2022.

That was the best defensive performance I have seen the Packers do in the playoffs. Chicago's NFC Championship would have been #1 had Caleb Haney not come in for Todd Collins.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Detroit 74 WC game. Fritz Schumur

Barry Sanders shut down. -1 yd on 13 carries. 3 receptions for 4 yds.
Krieg sacked 4 times.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Cdragon wrote:
30 Nov 2023 07:53
Detroit 74 WC game. Fritz Schumur

Barry Sanders shut down. -1 yd on 13 carries. 3 receptions for 4 yds.
Krieg sacked 4 times.
One of my favorite playoff games. Holding Sanders to -1 was crazy.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
29 Nov 2023 21:31
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
29 Nov 2023 20:01
I will raise your January 6, 1996 to January 22, 2022.

That was the best defensive performance I have seen the Packers do in the playoffs. Chicago's NFC Championship would have been #1 had Caleb Haney not come in for Todd Collins.
The Niners came in to Candlestick / 3-COM as the defending Super Bowl Champion with a Hall of Fame QB that ran for his life while throwing 65 passes, whereas Da Bears came in to Soldier Field as North Division winner with no-name Haney at QB. Oh, and Jimmy G ain't no Stevey Y! :woohoo:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

As much as I enjoy a Dallas loss, I’m happy they were able to pull out the victory.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Oh my god it’s happening.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Madcity_matt wrote:
29 Nov 2023 11:48
BF004 wrote:
29 Nov 2023 11:38

I'd agree with that order, but all will be tough opponents. Would love to have the chance to play at any of them!
I don't care who we would play. It is opportunity to get the kids reps. That's what they really need at this point. Getting used to the bump in excitement and pressure in the playoffs is a bonus. This is the launching pad for next year's run.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
01 Dec 2023 04:19
Oh my god it’s happening.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
30 Nov 2023 22:54
As much as I enjoy a Dallas loss, I’m happy they were able to pull out the victory.
If the goal is playoffs, Dallas coming back to win was a good thing for Packers.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Cdragon wrote:
01 Dec 2023 05:49

I don't care who we would play. It is opportunity to get the kids reps. That's what they really need at this point. Getting used to the bump in excitement and pressure in the playoffs is a bonus. This is the launching pad for next year's run.
Reps is important. The "launching pad" argument doesn't hold water. Every year is different and one year does not carry over to the next. All winning in 2017 at the end did is get a worse draft position, 2018 was the same as it would have been (and it was bad).

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

wallyuwl wrote:
01 Dec 2023 13:24
Cdragon wrote:

Reps is important. The "launching pad" argument doesn't hold water. Every year is different and one year does not carry over to the next. All winning in 2017 at the end did is get a worse draft position, 2018 was the same as it would have been (and it was bad).
Okay, the momentum from 2017 didn't carry over to 2018. It happens. It's also just one example. There are tons of examples that show opposite.

I disagree wholly that each year is independent of it's preceding year and any lessons learned have no impact.

Speaking to this particular team, I am not convinced these kids learning to win at this level this year won't have a positive impact on the still young roster next year (and going forward), a few positions in the draft order be damned.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
01 Dec 2023 15:22
wallyuwl wrote:
Cdragon wrote:

Okay, the momentum from 2017 didn't carry over to 2018. It happens. It's also just one example. There are tons of examples that show opposite.

I disagree wholly that each year is independent of it's preceding year and any lessons learned have no impact.

Speaking to this particular team, I am not convinced these kids learning to win at this level this year won't have a positive impact on the still young roster next year (and going forward), a few positions in the draft order be damned.
2006 to 2007
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Dec 2023 15:30
APB wrote:
01 Dec 2023 15:22
wallyuwl wrote:

2006 to 2007
Great example. :aok: