2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Not addressing it shows more weakness, indecisiveness and lack of balls. Not addressing it now will have longer lasting effects on this team vs. making a change in the offseason.

We fired a super bowl winning coach in season yet we keep trash that has done nothing out of "respect"? He couldn't get rid of Drayton when we could all see it and now won't get rid of Barry. One cost us a super bowl IMO and the other just cost us a shot at post season play. If MLF can't make the decision maybe he should be shown the door with them. It's not my preference, but do what's necessary, or just be a coordinator because that's all you are.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Source close to the situation saying Barry to be released. Take it for what it's worth.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 10:04
Source close to the situation saying Barry to be released. Take it for what it's worth.
Don't do this to me Pckfn ... you've been been on this train as long if not longer than I have.

You know, as do so many others, that this band aid needs to be ripped off TODAY.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

LombardiTime wrote:
18 Dec 2023 10:08
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 10:04
Don't do this to me Pckfn ... you've been been on this train as long if not longer than I have.

You know, as do so many others, that this band aid needs to be ripped off TODAY.
Just to clarify, not my sources, just rumblings in the media sphere.

I would like to see Barry let go this week, but won't break out the pitchforks and torches if it doesn't happen.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

if his contract is really up at the end of season, i would be fine with letting him stay unless there is a guy on staff right now that we think could improve the defense. Im not sure that guy is in the building.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 09:44
Think about this:

Eagles are leading their division and competing for the top seed and made a change at DC last week.

We were in playoff position and have now fallen out, and its "not the time to address the situation".
I was gonna point out that same thing.

It's time to "address the situation" when the situation becomes so untenable that it threatens everything you hope to accomplish as a team for the season.

I mean, there's rumblings the All-Pro CB is sitting out games because he's become outwardly disgruntled over...something. It doesn't take a football sleuth to figure that something likely has to do with the Packers defensive leadership.

So what're they gonna do? Wait until the relationship with one of their star players has deteriorated to the point of no return before they make the move that so obviously needs to be made anyway? They gonna lose Jaire out of "respect" for the coach who is failing the team and individual players?

How dumb is that??

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 10:13
if his contract is really up at the end of season, i would be fine with letting him stay unless there is a guy on staff right now that we think could improve the defense. Im not sure that guy is in the building.
No time like the present to find out.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

If the consensus is that Barry is gone after the season, what, after the last 2 defensive performances, would be the downside of letting Joe Barry go now?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

LombardiTime wrote:
18 Dec 2023 10:26
If the consensus is that Barry is gone after the season, what, after the last 2 defensive performances, would be the downside of letting Joe Barry go now?
I think the downside is that it may hurt our reputation with the next potential DC.

Lafleur hired the clown. Lafleur brought back the clown. Lafleur probably feels he needs to stand with him until the end of the year.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 10:28
LombardiTime wrote:
18 Dec 2023 10:26
I think the downside is that it may hurt our reputation with the next potential DC.

Lafleur hired the clown. Lafleur brought back the clown. Lafleur probably feels he needs to stand with him until the end of the year.
If anything, that reputation should be solidified with any potential hire in that he'll know he practically has to burn the stadium down before he'll get fired. I have absolutely no fear of the Packers reputation being sullied because they fired a coach mid-season who has demonstrated on multiple occasions over multiple years that he is historically bad.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We should be more concerned about our reputation over hiring Joe Barry at all, never mind taking him over Ejiro Evero.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Don't recall many here having set these as expectations going into the season:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Labrev wrote:
18 Dec 2023 10:34
We should be more concerned about our reputation over hiring Joe Barry at all, never mind taking him over Ejiro Evero.
More important to be in the buddy buddy club than to have the best resume.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Joe Barry

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
18 Dec 2023 10:37
Labrev wrote:
18 Dec 2023 10:34
More important to be in the buddy buddy club than to have the best resume.
Barry is friends with MLF. That is the most important thing. If coaches are not friends, it hurts the team. Barry should stay as long as MLF is HC.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Fangio D probably isn't the way to go anymore
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
18 Dec 2023 11:44

Fangio D probably isn't the way to go anymore
Is Robert Saleh and the Jets not a "Fangio Style" defense?

Or do we not want to include that in the tweet because it hurts the case?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.