2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Andy Reid was the Assistant Head Coach for us, for 2 years before going to Philly.

image.png
image.png (9.36 KiB) Viewed 643 times
I would also like to see a little more branching out from him before giving him a DC job.

Would anyone be talking about him for DC if he didn't play in Green Bay?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

wallyuwl wrote:
19 Dec 2023 12:01
APB wrote:
19 Dec 2023 11:56

When I say "soon in his coaching career" I'm not referencing a calendar. I mean he's never coordinated at any level. He's been a position coach and, specifically, it's the position he played. He's never ventured from that comfort zone. He hasn't even worked as defensive pass game coordinator.

Again, love Al Harris but he's not ready to be an NFL level DC. Get some time as pass game coordinator or go back to the college level and coordinate a defense, then we can talk.
I donno. He might know more than meets the eye. Andy Reid was never a coordinator before getting the HC job in Philly, and look how that turned out. Jumping two rung on the coaching ladder isn't unheard of. I know nothing about if he is ready or not, just saying he shouldn't be discounted for the job based on his current/prior job titles.
Maybe. Likely not.

My money says there'd be some serious growing pains. And the last thing I want happen to Al Harris is him being thrust into a role he's not prepared to handle and the fickle fan base that currently adores him ends up turning on him because he's not successful.

Give me Evero if he's available. Marquand Manual is another. Eberflus if he's canned. Saleh too.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Dec 2023 12:07
Spoiler
You already knew the answer yet you clicked anyway. For that, you deserve this:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
19 Dec 2023 12:11
Pckfn23 wrote:
19 Dec 2023 12:07
Spoiler
You already knew the answer yet you clicked anyway. For that, you deserve this:

I'm always up for a
Spoiler
good RR!
Mod edit: you won't foil me!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

APB wrote:
19 Dec 2023 12:08
wallyuwl wrote:
19 Dec 2023 12:01
APB wrote:
19 Dec 2023 11:56

When I say "soon in his coaching career" I'm not referencing a calendar. I mean he's never coordinated at any level. He's been a position coach and, specifically, it's the position he played. He's never ventured from that comfort zone. He hasn't even worked as defensive pass game coordinator.

Again, love Al Harris but he's not ready to be an NFL level DC. Get some time as pass game coordinator or go back to the college level and coordinate a defense, then we can talk.
I donno. He might know more than meets the eye. Andy Reid was never a coordinator before getting the HC job in Philly, and look how that turned out. Jumping two rung on the coaching ladder isn't unheard of. I know nothing about if he is ready or not, just saying he shouldn't be discounted for the job based on his current/prior job titles.
Maybe. Likely not.

My money says there'd be some serious growing pains. And the last thing I want happen to Al Harris is him being thrust into a role he's not prepared to handle and the fickle fan base that currently adores him ends up turning on him because he's not successful.

Give me Evero if he's available. Marquand Manual is another. Eberflus if he's canned. Saleh too.
Al was aggressive and I like that. Be aggressive and if you give up a 60 yard TD but follow it up with an interception on the next series then you are far better off than getting dinked and dunked and run over for 10 play 60 yard drives resulting in a TD and a FG. Plus, your D is not gassed in the 4th quarter.

The other thing is that anyone is going to look good after Barry. I don't see the fans demanding perfection the first year. This offense should be good enough to get the Packers to the playoffs in 2024/25 while the DC learns the ropes during the regular season..

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

MLF is gonna keep screwing around with retaining Joe Barry until he loses the entire locker room. Then it'll be he along with Barry being asked to leave.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Douglas called for accountability and pointed a finger at Lafleur, most including me though he was referring to the poor play of the offense, specially after his response when he left of thanking the team (Guty) for bringing him here, where he said he's learned a lot ( he and Alex where said to be tight as brothers), now I think it had to do with Lafleur deciding to keep Barry this season, and that got him sent to Buffalo, Alex response was, I wont keep quiet any more, and he's rarely played ever since.

Savage is on IR, so basically the only guys playing in the secondary, are newbies and don't dare complain about anything.

I'd say some players gave up on Barry and any accountability from Lafleur months ago.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
08 Dec 2023 15:00
LombardiTime wrote:
08 Dec 2023 10:52
Still mad that the refs did not give the ball to the Pack on Pickett's lateral that Rashan Gary recovered in Pittsburgh. I think we win if that happens.

That said, after seeing the Steelers get dominated, at home, by the lowly, 2 win Cardinals and Patriots (it was 21-3 NE at one point) within the past 4 days, I remain amazed that Joe Barry went into that game not wanting to get beat by Pitt's awful passing attack and seemed OK letting the Steelers run for 200+ yards.

10, 20, 10, 16, 10, 18, and 23 are Pittsburgh's point totals the past 7 weeks. We lost 23-19 to the Steelers.

The Giants have scored 0, 12, 3, 16, 9, 14, 10, 6, 17, and 10 in games so far this season. They average 12.3 ppg and only the Jets are wore.

Planning for NY to rely upon Barkley in the running game and holding them to 17 or fewer points should be the expectation Monday night.
I am kind of on the hunch that our defense isn't getting much better.

But our offense went from 4 three and outs in the first half to scoring like 3 times in the first half taking near 20 minutes of TOP.

D just still gives up these 5-7 minute scoring drives seemingly all the time, but just helps a ton more when they get less series and our offense is clicking.
My post from after the Chiefs game. Gunna take a lot more for Mr Barry to fool me. #FJB

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
19 Dec 2023 16:49
Douglas called for accountability and pointed a finger at Lafleur, most including me though he was referring to the poor play of the offense, specially after his response when he left of thanking the team (Guty) for bringing him here, where he said he's learned a lot ( he and Alex where said to be tight as brothers), now I think it had to do with Lafleur deciding to keep Barry this season, and that got him sent to Buffalo, Alex response was, I wont keep quiet any more, and he's rarely played ever since.

Savage is on IR, so basically the only guys playing in the secondary, are newbies and don't dare complain about anything.

I'd say some players gave up on Barry and any accountability from Lafleur months ago.
What exactly did Rasul say?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Getting back to potential DC candidates, one name I hadn't considered but, now that I hear it, am intrigued is Dave Aranda.

wizard 87
Reactions:

Post by wizard 87 »

Yoop wrote:

No, he's ticked off because he was wearing the green dot in the second half after they took it away from Quay who was mucking it up... a different guy same results. The "communication " issues are very much those two because it's their job to relay the sideline calls to the players.

No matter what whining about it on social media shows a lack of leadership and maturity. My complaint in terms of ML and Gute is his butt should have hit the locker room door this afternoon for it. Set the damn standard, They all played like garbage, the head coach called them and his staff out for being garbage( That's his job) if that gets you all hot and bothered then .....see ya!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

wizard 87 wrote:
19 Dec 2023 18:39
Yoop wrote:

No, he's ticked off because he was wearing the green dot in the second half after they took it away from Quay who was mucking it up... a different guy same results. The "communication " issues are very much those two because it's their job to relay the sideline calls to the players.

No matter what whining about it on social media shows a lack of leadership and maturity. My complaint in terms of ML and Gute is his butt should have hit the locker room door this afternoon for it. Set the damn standard, They all played like garbage, the head coach called them and his staff out for being garbage( That's his job) if that gets you all hot and bothered then .....see ya!
I would normally be sympathetic to that....

.... but not with this D-Coord.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I'm not normally one to side with players airing laundry. Keep it in house, take care of it in the office or practice field etc. BUT, this team lost out on a Super Bowl appearance because they didn't drop Drayton mid season and now again this team just blew a real shot at the playoffs these past 2 weeks turning offensive offenses into chain moving scoring machines and still the same &%$@ persists from 2 years ago.

It says something about the staff if there is nobody they could call up and run this ship the next couple weeks. It says something about the HC that won't just cut the cord. IMO the loyalty has long been proven and now it just looks like ineptitude by keeping him. Players are noticing.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If we blame everything about the defense on the DC we can let the guy who hired him off the hook, and we can let the guy who has selected all the players off the hook too. It’s easiest.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

musclestang wrote:
19 Dec 2023 19:18
I'm not normally one to side with players airing laundry. Keep it in house, take care of it in the office or practice field etc. BUT, this team lost out on a Super Bowl appearance because they didn't drop Drayton mid season and now again this team just blew a real shot at the playoffs these past 2 weeks turning offensive offenses into chain moving scoring machines and still the same &%$@ persists from 2 years ago.

It says something about the staff if there is nobody they could call up and run this ship the next couple weeks. It says something about the HC that won't just cut the cord. IMO the loyalty has long been proven and now it just looks like ineptitude by keeping him. Players are noticing.
Hey......I've been spewing the "inept" word for weeks now. It's very obvious that the train left the track in September when it was clear that McCoach failed to get Jordan Love adequately coached up despite years of prior opportunity. We thought the train found the track after the Chiefs game, but that was just blind wishful thinking.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

If Barry was openly disobeying the direction Lafleur has instructed him to take the defense…he would be fired

Lafleur has either given Barry NO leadership or direction on the defense (because Lafleur is a HC that only knows one phase of the game)

Or Barry is calling a style that Lafleur wants him to run.

This is why Lafleur hasn’t canned the guy. If Barry was defiant, he’d be gone.

Blame lacoach

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Dec 2023 21:43
If Barry was openly disobeying the direction Lafleur has instructed him to take the defense…he would be fired

Lafleur has either given Barry NO leadership or direction on the defense (because Lafleur is a HC that only knows one phase of the game)

Blame lacoach
I feel like we've gone over all of this. I think nearly everyone does? At least most. This is LaFleur preferred scheme of defense (maybe not direct play calling). Joe Barry was his hire and he still has kept him to the astonishment of every fan (other than lupe) for 3 years.

So yes, this is LaFleur's defense.

Yet, LaFleur is still a young developing coach and he is a lock to be back next year. All anyone can hope for this offseason is a new DC. So by default, we all want the DC gone and we want a new one and hope LaFleur can continue the progression with Love and find a better style of defense for the team.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
19 Dec 2023 22:37
Drj820 wrote:
19 Dec 2023 21:43

Blame lacoach
I feel like we've gone over all of this. I think nearly everyone does? At least most. This is LaFleur preferred scheme of defense (maybe not direct play calling). Joe Barry was his hire and he still has kept him to the astonishment of every fan (other than lupe) for 3 years.

So yes, this is LaFleur's defense.

Yet, LaFleur is still a young developing coach and he is a lock to be back next year. All anyone can hope for this offseason is a new DC. So by default, we all want the DC gone and we want a new one and hope LaFleur can continue the progression with Love and find a better style of defense for the team.

Lafleur is young in age. He is not young in experience. He’s top 10 longest tenured head coach in the league.

And I’m afraid you missed my point. I’m not talking off-season change, I’m talking mid year firing. But My point is that if Barry is calling the games in a way that pleases Lafleur, how could or why would Lafleur fire him? He’s doing what he’s been asked to do.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

and this passive, let things happen attitude is pervasive throughout this defense and team. It's as evident on the field as it is in the coaching decisions. I've never been one to have knee jerk reactions and be a fire this guy, fire that guy, cut him, get someone else here person. I have years of evidence on another board, I realize I haven't been here that long for you guys to know it yet, but saying we should be rid of Barry is not a current revelation.

It's the same stuff. Week after week year after year. The fact he noted a problem in the beginning of the year and there is still no attempt to fix it as this point in the year and we have Linebackers chasing excellent receivers is a joke. Once is a lot. 4 times a game is a pencil whipping clinic on an inept DC.

Opposing teams score or sometimes we get a turnover. We dominate 2 downs, but 3rd and whatever never matters because the other side can Beat Barry like a freaking drum all game long. They know exactly where the giants voids are going to be and 95% of the time we make it look so easy for them.

But I guess there is nothing we can do... best to just stick with it. I get the sentiment. Trust me, There is value to just putting your nose down and working. Figure it out. Stuff gets tuff, deal with it. Succeed despite the environment around you. I'm all for that, i wish the players would adopt that. Trust me, I'm sending every player that is quitting out of here along with Barry at season's end.

BUT, Barry has had opportunity after opportunity after opportunity to get this right and it's the same dang stuff. Sooner or later the parent tells the child it's enough.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

musclestang wrote:
20 Dec 2023 05:48
and this passive, let things happen attitude is pervasive throughout this defense and team. It's as evident on the field as it is in the coaching decisions. I've never been one to have knee jerk reactions and be a fire this guy, fire that guy, cut him, get someone else here person. I have years of evidence on another board, I realize I haven't been here that long for you guys to know it yet, but saying we should be rid of Barry is not a current revelation.

It's the same stuff. Week after week year after year. The fact he noted a problem in the beginning of the year and there is still no attempt to fix it as this point in the year and we have Linebackers chasing excellent receivers is a joke. Once is a lot. 4 times a game is a pencil whipping clinic on an inept DC.

Opposing teams score or sometimes we get a turnover. We dominate 2 downs, but 3rd and whatever never matters because the other side can Beat Barry like a freaking drum all game long. They know exactly where the giants voids are going to be and 95% of the time we make it look so easy for them.

But I guess there is nothing we can do... best to just stick with it. I get the sentiment. Trust me, There is value to just putting your nose down and working. Figure it out. Stuff gets tuff, deal with it. Succeed despite the environment around you. I'm all for that, i wish the players would adopt that. Trust me, I'm sending every player that is quitting out of here along with Barry at season's end.

BUT, Barry has had opportunity after opportunity after opportunity to get this right and it's the same dang stuff. Sooner or later the parent tells the child it's enough.
It's been just basic inept coaching overall the entire season, with a few glimpses of professional excellence thrown in there every once in awhile for the sake of HOPE. At least we got to see the WRs and TEs grow and emerge as forces to deal with in 2024.

Regardless of the ineptness, I'm going to Lambeau to sit through the Bears game (whenever the NFL finally schedules it) .......... see if I can find Bogey in Fan Assistance, hassle my Bear fan relatives that'll be there with me, etc. GO PACK GO! :clap: