2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Dec 2023 16:50
I'm just going to say that while I want Joe Barry fired and think he hasn't been good enough all season even during the win streak when he got some good overall game outcomes....

... last week was the right time, or after the season. And right now? On Christmas Eve, is not the time. I don't care that it's a business and that can be cruel. You don't give someone the press conference endorsement for the end-of-the-season and then fire him on Christmas/Christmas Eve a week later.
The fire him on Tuesday.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

IMO regardless of scheme or who your coordinator is, if you have 4 first round picks up front you should have QBs running for their lives every play. They should be moving the pocket and trying to scheme things offensively to handle your front 4.

We are not seeing that at all. I was pretty hung over for this one but I thought Young was looking pretty comfortable today, especially down the stretch.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

how about anyone that can do what McDonald is doing in Baltimore, there DL coach Weaver, really anyone thats coached there a few years?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Dec 2023 16:50
I'm just going to say that while I want Joe Barry fired and think he hasn't been good enough all season even during the win streak when he got some good overall game outcomes....

... last week was the right time, or after the season. And right now? On Christmas Eve, is not the time. I don't care that it's a business and that can be cruel. You don't give someone the press conference endorsement for the end-of-the-season and then fire him on Christmas/Christmas Eve a week later.
I suspect MLF won't make any coaching changes until after the season ends.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Lupe is actually right. Our front 7 even doesn’t scare anybody. They get their moments. But that’s all. Add Young to the list as another underwhelming QB who virtually won a great come from behind victory, looking like an MVP along the way. And Chark? Seriously? That kid has talent but he shouldn’t be beating you consistently downfield.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Our front 7 was good enough today.

Enegbare, Clark, Smith, Walker all had plays in the backfield.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

I agree that our players are not playing up to their capabilities. Too much standing around and watching rather than hustling to the ball or wherever they need to be. You certainly expect more from these higher draft picks. But, I'm also not sure how much of this is due to coaching. This passive defensive scheme seems to lead to passive defensive players with passive attitudes. I have always thought that defense (all of football actually) needs to be aggressive and the attitude must be one of aggression. Even our pass rush yesterday was poorly schemed. This defense screams for a whole new attitude being necessary.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Last INT by this defense was Nixon's in the 4th quarter of the Chiefs game. 3 straight games without one now. Before that it was Anthony Johnson against the Rams, another 3 games between games with an INT. Before that it was Rudy Ford against the Raiders, 2 interception-less games between. Since the bye in week 6 we have 2, TWO, interceptions in 10 games. Unreal.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Wish we played a brand of football that others didn’t wanna play
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Dec 2023 16:45

Watching the Ravens, they rally to the ball and just have good football players. I was high on Queen and super high on Madibuike. They stole Kyle Hamilton in the draft and got Roquan for peanuts.

They’re fast and physical. We are just fast.

One thing I’ve been thinking about is the 49ers I’ve churned out 3 straight DCs yet they continue to have good defenses. Players trump scheme every day of the week.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Dec 2023 16:45

We do on defense.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

I don't hate the idea of bend but don't break. This current iteration is bend on every play, and then break. I'd rather be super aggressive and occasionally get burned but also let the players make plays.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I actually like the bend don’t break scheme but you have to be a great tackling team and you really have to be able to rally to the ball to limit the YAC.

I’ve always been much more a fan of the way Spags and Flores run their defense where everything is at the line and you don’t know who’s coming or dropping. That’s really the new 3-4 where you confuse QBs on pressure angles.

Right now we don’t have the personnel for either. Safeties gotta be significantly better to play a more aggressive scheme than what we have IMO.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

With Jaire out 6 weeks, stokes out most of the year, and rasul shipped off, our options for defense are limited because our secondary is not good.

Not making an excuse for Barry, but part of the reason he calls games like he does is because he has to give the guys tons of cushion to not get beat over the top over and over

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Dec 2023 19:33
With Jaire out 6 weeks, stokes out most of the year, and rasul shipped off, our options for defense are limited because our secondary is not good.

Not making an excuse for Barry, but part of the reason he calls games like he does is because he has to give the guys tons of cushion to not get beat over the top over and over
But we are still getting beat over and over. I cringe every time it is 3rd and long. Most of the time we allow them to convert.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Pugger wrote:
26 Dec 2023 22:39
Drj820 wrote:
26 Dec 2023 19:33

But we are still getting beat over and over. I cringe every time it is 3rd and long. Most of the time we allow them to convert.
Embrace this painful ineptitude on defense for now and make money. :banana: :woohoo: I took Bryce Young (over yardage) last week in one of my parlay legs and he crushed it. What do you think I am doing this week? Over yardage for Mullens is like a free play this week even without Hock. :rotf:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I tell ya who ran a bend but don’t break scheme pretty well: Mike Pettine. His entire time here (minus that one terrible play) teams would slowly move down the field and many would all get mad…yet more times than not the opponents drives would end in FGs.

Mike Pettine was 1000x better than what we have now

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
26 Dec 2023 19:12
I actually like the bend don’t break scheme but you have to be a great tackling team and you really have to be able to rally to the ball to limit the YAC.

I’ve always been much more a fan of the way Spags and Flores run their defense where everything is at the line and you don’t know who’s coming or dropping. That’s really the new 3-4 where you confuse QBs on pressure angles.

Right now we don’t have the personnel for either. Safeties gotta be significantly better to play a more aggressive scheme than what we have IMO.
I agree. The Packers actually played a decent brand of it last year during the stretch run. Attacking forward and tackling as well as could be expected. Luckily, we need to completely remake the Safety room anyway, so might as well set that vision and draft with that philosophy in mind.

Read More. Post Less.