Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

As much fun as that is, remember that his home record is a 69.9 in a loss to Detroit and a 72.1 in a loss to the Vikes. Yes, earlier in the season and whatever else, but just a fact.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

facts are drawn conclusions that often don't include the reasons for those conclusions, such as poor route running or dropped passes, lack of ability to sustain the run which cause tougher blocking assignments.

also the learning curve for Love to read pass rush and defensive alignments pre snap, hindering adjusting his blockers, also took Lafleur about 6 games to use a two back set to pick up blitz and stunts, there are valid reasons Love struggled at times this year, and plenty out of his control.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
03 Jan 2024 14:03
facts are drawn conclusions that often don't include the reasons for those conclusions, such as poor route running or dropped passes, lack of ability to sustain the run which cause tougher blocking assignments.

also the learning curve for Love to read pass rush and defensive alignments pre snap, hindering adjusting his blockers, also took Lafleur about 6 games to use a two back set to pick up blitz and stunts, there are valid reasons Love struggled at times this year, and plenty out of his control.
Absolutely. There are ALSO, meaning in addition, valid reasons why Love was the reason Love struggled at times this year.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Jan 2024 14:05
Yoop wrote:

Absolutely. There are ALSO, meaning in addition, valid reasons why Love was the reason Love struggled at times this year.
Love would be doing what he's doing now earlier with vet receivers, better blocking assignments, and a healthy Jones

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
03 Jan 2024 14:15
Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Love would be doing what he's doing now earlier with vet receivers, better blocking assignments, and a healthy Jones
Love needed time to mature into the starting roll. Regardless of anything outside of his play, Love was not playing as well earlier in the season as he is now. All those other improvements also helped his play become better, but he was also A reason why he wasn't playing as well. He has improved himself these last 3 months. He also has more room to improve. Should he make that next jump in the offseason, and I believe he will, he will be a top QB in the league for many years.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 03 Jan 2024 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
02 Jan 2024 21:34
I could see Wicks eventually becoming that guy; he's got a lot of Adams to his game. Watson too maybe, the sky is the limit for him, but he needs to refine his game a lot and stay healthy. Or even Musgrave, a TE with that kind of athleticism can in effect be a #1 receiver.
Three options! WooHoo!

Also... I like Wicks a lot, but the confirmation bias of Packers fans going from having a draft crush on a guy to continually mentioning him as possibly emerging as our best WR despite being clearly outplayed by Jayden Reed and seeing the impact of having Watson on/off the field still always makes me chuckle.

I mean, certainly it could turn out to be true. And I do like the flashes. But the consistent drum beat from all over Packerland that "maybe Wicks is our best WR" is, at this point, still laughable.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Jan 2024 15:02
I mean, certainly it could turn out to be true. And I do like the flashes. But the consistent drum beat from all over Packerland that "maybe Wicks is our best WR" is, at this point, still laughable.
I think it's WAY more future-based than what you are giving credit for. He has a lot of natural ability that makes you wonder if his ceiling is a little bit higher than some of these guys. Not that it isn't with the others, as well, but will they hit it? It will really be interesting to see what the pecking order looks like next year... not to mention we could surprise people in The Draft and add to that group.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Not that you were referring to me as one of said fans, but I wouldn't say Wicks was a draft crush of mine. I didn't look into him. He just reminds me a lot of 'Tae. I mean he is a Tay himself!! :mrgreen:

Reed is out-playing him, but I am skeptical if a 5'10 slot receiver can ever be "the guy" at WR for an offense. I have never seen that. In fact, I have seen the opposite; Cobb was at his best when defenses were worried about someone else, namely Jordy. In 2015, we lacked guys who could take attention away from Cobb struggled to be productive. It doesn't work like fantasy football thinks (>Jordy took targets away, Cobb will have a big year!!).

You could say Justin Jefferson is primarily a slot and the best WR in the league, and that Adams too was at one point while taking most reps out of the slot, but I see them as guys that can line up anywhere, not pure slot WRs.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I am unaware of any justifiable blame toward Jordan Love this season. I put the blame squarely on LaCoach for not preparing Jordan Love properly.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Labrev wrote:
02 Jan 2024 21:34
I could see Wicks eventually becoming that guy; he's got a lot of Adams to his game. Watson too maybe, the sky is the limit for him, but he needs to refine his game a lot and stay healthy. Or even Musgrave, a TE with that kind of athleticism can in effect be a #1 receiver.
Three options! WooHoo!

Also... I like Wicks a lot, but the confirmation bias of Packers fans going from having a draft crush on a guy to continually mentioning him as possibly emerging as our best WR despite being clearly outplayed by Jayden Reed and seeing the impact of having Watson on/off the field still always makes me chuckle.

the cool thing to say is Wicks will be a #1. Let us have our moment and give ourselves the opportunity to see in 2025, "I called it"

And if Wicks stays behind Reed and Watson?...I will never bring up that I said he has the feet of Adams. :lol:

But I will say. Doubs has an uncanny rapport with Love. Especially on 3rd down. That dude is always moving the chains.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
03 Jan 2024 15:22
YoHoChecko wrote:
I think it's WAY more future-based than what you are giving credit for. He has a lot of natural ability that makes you wonder if his ceiling is a little bit higher than some of these guys. Not that it isn't with the others, as well, but will they hit it? It will really be interesting to see what the pecking order looks like next year... not to mention we could surprise people in The Draft and add to that group.
It's just SO ubiquitous. It's even in packer-adjacent media circles--people who ID'd him as a likely Packers target and then casually follow the team this year--I think Trevor Sikkema from PFF and a guy from the Ringer made the comments to. Beat guys like Paul Bretl who LOVED Wicks pre-draft and then during camp wrote an article explaining why Wicks may be better than Reed. How interesting, journo-scout: the guy you loved that was picked in the 5th might be better than the guy you didn't like that was picked in the 2nd? Groundbreaking analysis without a shred of confirmation bias.

And here, too.

Like I said, sure--could be. But right now he is the 4th best WR on the team, most likely. He's a flashy 5th round rookie who has future promise.

And Labrev said he's never seen a 5'10 WR be The Guy but Steve Smith has something to say about that. But also Reed isn't that small... Reed is 5'10 and 7/8", which in rounding terms is clearly 5'11". Not to nitpick, but that vastly opens up the comparisons.

And like you said NCF, if we're talking about ceiling, Wicks might have a very high one. But SO DO THE OTHERS and the open question as to which, if any, will reach those ceilings has not been resolved; which was my whole point.

We have several guys who could emerge to be workhorse #1WR volume/production guys. That's all I wanted to say. Lots of options. It's just funny that anytime anyone talks about that, people immediately jump to the 5th round rookie with more fumbles than TDs instead of the 2nd-round rookie with the Packers' rookie reception record or the 2nd-year WR who had 10 TDs as a rookie before getting all sortsa banged up this year.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

The thing I'm getting from all those guys, Kraft, Reed, Wicks, Doubs, Heath even is a whole lotta "want to". They want that ball, they want to snatch it out of the air, they want to make you miss, run you over, move the chains, get the score, whatever. just give them a chance and it's all effort after that. I just see it whenever they get opportunities lately in how they catch, how they make breaks, how they run after. You can see the desire, and all have more than enough physically.

Not that the other guys were terrible prospects or don't care at all, but that extra bit of desire seemed always missing in guys like St. Brown, Toure, etc. They had measurables, but that's not enough in this league.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Geronimo Allison was also a fun "want it" guy.

Until it wasn't fun any more.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

go pak go wrote:
03 Jan 2024 16:15

and Jarett Boykin

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

musclestang wrote:
03 Jan 2024 16:13
The thing I'm getting from all those guys, Kraft, Reed, Wicks, Doubs, Heath even is a whole lotta "want to". They want that ball, they want to snatch it out of the air, they want to make you miss, run you over, move the chains, get the score, whatever. just give them a chance and it's all effort after that. I just see it whenever they get opportunities lately in how they catch, how they make breaks, how they run after. You can see the desire, and all have more than enough physically.

Not that the other guys were terrible prospects or don't care at all, but that extra bit of desire seemed always missing in guys like St. Brown, Toure, etc. They had measurables, but that's not enough in this league.
I agree and while part of that has to be innate, I also think you can develop a culture of "want to" in a room and I thought (despite being a HUGE fan) that Christian Watson was going to need to be in a culture of want-to in order to take the steps he needs to take. When he plays with the "my ball mentality," he's unstoppable. When he thinks too much, he striggles with drops and concentration (let's leave the health out of it).

I thinl going back to the topic which I helped derail, Jordan Love (and some of the innate mentalities of the guys we drafted) are creating that culture. This is where I think Reed and Heath really shine, and Kraft and Wicks are right there with them, as you said.

But the young team coming up together and forming chemistry, to me, is making that mentality more contagious and less innate, and that's the kind of thing that needs to carry forward in order to see if anyone from this group (or multiple) emerge as alpha dogs.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

musclestang wrote:
03 Jan 2024 16:19
go pak go wrote:

and Jarett Boykin
And Lazard.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

When the Green Bay Packers chose to give quarterback Jordan Love a one-year extension, rather than picking up his fifth-year option last offseason, part of the deal was that much of Love’s potential 2024 compensation would be tied to incentives. With just one week left in the regular season, let’s take a look at what’s at stake for Love in the final game of the season.

As of now, Love is in a safe range to add $2 million in escalators to his $6 million cash flow next season. The following incentives are either on pace to be hit, by a decent margin, or have already been clinched:

65 percent of offensive snaps — $500,000 (clinched)
Top 16 in passing touchdowns — $500,000 (ranks 3rd)
Top 10 in passing touchdowns — $500,000 (ranks 3rd)
Top 16 in passing yards — $500,000 (ranks 10th)
On top of the $2 million there, though, there’s another $2.5 million available to be earned with individual performance escalators, depending on how good Love’s numbers are against the Chicago Bears in Week 18. Below are the escalators that Love is within striking range of:

Top 16 passer rating - $500,000 (11th)
Top 10 passing yards - $500,000 (10th)
Top 10 passer rating - $500,000 (10th)
Top 16 completion percentage - $500,000 (21st)
Top 10 completion percentage - $500,000 (21st)
Love would need a pretty incredible performance to hit those completion percentage marks, but it’s not impossible for him to earn those. Beyond just the individual performance escalators, Love will earn an extra $500,000 in 2024 salary if the Packers make the playoffs. As a reminder, Green Bay is win-and-in against the Bears, meaning that Love’s escalators can jump from $2 million to $6 million with a dominant win versus Chicago. For a guy who has made a career total of $19.9 million in the NFL, an extra $4 million seems like it would be plenty of motivation to have a strong end to the regular season.

If the Packers do advance to the playoffs, there are even more options for Love to make some extra money next year. Green Bay will pay out an extra $500,000 for a playoff win or winning the NFC. A Super Bowl win would come with an extra $1 million pay bump.
From Acmepackingcompany

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I guess we all have different ideas of “fun”
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

lupedafiasco wrote:
03 Jan 2024 20:54
musclestang wrote:
go pak go wrote:

and Jarett Boykin
And Lazard.
And Martin.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Trudge wrote:
04 Jan 2024 02:47
lupedafiasco wrote:
03 Jan 2024 20:54
musclestang wrote:

and Jarett Boykin
And Lazard.
And Martin.
I'm honestly not sure what the point of this is anymore...?

Every player listed here had a role and contributed greatly to team success at one point or another. Were they world beater All-Pro caliber? Hell no, but they were high effort, perform above their perceived talent type players that their teammates and fans could occasionally rally around. You want these type players on your roster.

Sure, these guys all turned out to be replaceable JAGS in the end but, guess what, a couple of the current wunderkind players on the current roster will also end up being JAGS because, well, it happens. It's fun to cheer them on while they shine, though.