Green Bay Packers @ Minnesota Vikings GDT - 9/13 - 12:00 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

go pak go wrote:
10 Sep 2020 08:39
The last time I was this jacked and excited about our roster was 2014. We just have the pieces.
Lol, same brother. I'm sure y'all have discussed this earlier, but this is the first time that I've felt (before the season started at least) that our defense has a chance to be a dominant force in a long time. If Gary is what camp reports are saying he is, I don't really know how you block our pass rush. Add in a year three jump from Jaire to becoming a true shut down corner and adequacy at our LB spot with Kirksey and Kamal (fingers crossed)and we are loaded on D.

And I'm so excited for Ervin. He's gonna be our little Deebo. And MVS looks like he's taking the jump to finally give us the deep threat we need. Plus Rodgers told us that he's figured out how to be 2010 Rodgers again.

Sorry, not trying to turn this into the hype train, but I'm just so pumped baby!
Last edited by kyle.mccarroll on 10 Sep 2020 08:51, edited 3 times in total.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Yeah I'm pretty stoked about this season.

The roster is stacked.

We have a top 3 WR1, LT, and RB, and that Rodgers guy. That people are worried primarily about other pass catchers on offense says quite a bit about how good they are.

The pieces are there for an all time great pass rush.

I'm less worried about SF. GB did not have a yearlong glaring inability to stop the run, it was mostly isolated to the playoff game, something about the way they attacked us. Unless our DC is completely incompetent, that game wouldn't happen now.

Our secondary is primed to take a big step forward as they march toward their primes.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yup, yup. I was pretty indifferent about this season but 'camp got me excited in a hurry!
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Waldo wrote:
10 Sep 2020 08:47
Our secondary is primed to take a big step forward as they march toward their primes.
agreed - and adding a vet coach like Jerry Gray is really helpful to those young guys in making the mental leap.
They all rave about his knowledge and his ability to teach from that knowledge as a former DB
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I also think the most underrated player going from camp to the regular season by media and the fans is Jamaal Williams.

Rodgers constantly goes out of his way to pump up Williams. He did the same for Jones last year.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

PFT Picks Em
Packers (+2.5) at Vikings

MDS’s take: These look like the top two teams in the NFC North, and the Vikings look to me like they should have a slight edge as the division favorites this season.

MDS’s pick: Vikings 24, Packers 17.

Florio’s take: Danielle Hunter isn’t playing, but the Vikings have the firepower on both sides of the ball to hold serve at home* against a team that chose to take a step back in the offseason in the hopes of eventually taking a couple of steps forward.

Florio’s pick: Vikings 27, Packers 20.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

go pak go wrote:
10 Sep 2020 08:16
BF004 wrote:
10 Sep 2020 07:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Sep 2020 22:25

LET'S GO!
“Dude, our D Line is legit” :lol:
My favorite part about that whole clip.
Yeah, that really makes it. Prophetic I hope.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

BF004 wrote:
10 Sep 2020 11:39
PFT Picks Em

MDS’s take: These look like the top two teams in the NFC North, and the Vikings look to me like they should have a slight edge as the division favorites this season.

Florio’s take: Danielle Hunter isn’t playing, but the Vikings have the firepower on both sides of the ball to hold serve at home* against a team that chose to take a step back in the offseason in the hopes of eventually taking a couple of steps forward.

A step back? WTF? :messedup: Florio's been doing too much of this: :toke:

At least when PFT picks the Vikes I can feel more confident that they'll lose :lol:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
10 Sep 2020 13:21
BF004 wrote:
10 Sep 2020 11:39
PFT Picks Em

A step back? WTF? :messedup: Florio's been doing too much of this: :toke:

At least when PFT picks the Vikes I can feel more confident that they'll lose :lol:
Yeah, I would really like to hear his justification of how we took a step back. We are literally returning nearly everyone. The Vikings are actually the team that took a step back from last year.

Are people just spouting this stuff because it is in their heads that we didn't take a big step forward because most did not like our draft?
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

R-E-L-A-X, Florio is a vikings fan which tells us 2 things.

1) he's not very bright
2) he needs to believe in the delusion- because after Zimmer got swept by a rookie HC - the reality is just too painful to accept.

Crush, Kill, Destroy !
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I mean its a lazy analysis, we let Blake and Bulaga both go, replaced them with Kirksey and Wagner, both got significantly less contracts on the open market. We chose not to add any instant impact in the draft. When you stop thinking about it there, sure, we don't look better and a lot of people thought we overachieved.

However on D, I mean Kenny is blue chip guy up front who has owned Minnesota last year, along with Preston, Z and Gary, those 4 have the ability to be historically good 4 man rush.

King and Jaire both finally coming into their prime, Savage a year under his belt, and Amos now a year on the D, awesome return of chemistry on the backend and we legit have one of the best secondaries in the league, if not the best.

So we got the elite pass rush, we have the elite secondary, just absolutely time to put up or shut up here on D and dominate.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Packfntk wrote:
10 Sep 2020 14:20
Are people just spouting this stuff because it is in their heads that we didn't take a big step forward because most did not like our draft?
yes.

I love the draft and it's maybe my favorite football event of the year, which I know is weird considering there are, ya know, 256 + playoffs actual football games.

But it is NOT the primary tool to improve a team from one year to the next, but longer-term. It's become SUCH a big event, though, that people view the offseason through that lens more and more.

The Packers had, quite literally and quantitatively, the least popular/lowest-graded draft class in the league--maybe in the league in quite some time. The drafting of Love has convinced everyone that the team is giving up on the end of the Aaron Rodgers era and simply preparing for the next phase of the franchise. EVERYTHING I've seen about the team this offseason is painted by that, even the quant guys who show good reasons for regression from the 13-3 record can't write their columns without mentioning "perhaps this wouldn't be so bad had they not chosen a backup QB, a backup RB, and a FB in the first three rounds" somewhere in the piece.

Conversely, the Vikings had like 14 draft picks and the early gets into "need" positions like WR and CB got everyone feeling like THIS is a team that aggressively filled their holes and therefore must have improved. So their personnel losses are minimized. But they filled those holes... with rookies. And especially this year, that is a super risky move that likely results in a short-term downgrade.

For some reason, the entire sports media has lost their minds a bit about what makes a football team good, better, or improving. Continuity is huge, in any year not just this year. Player development is huge. People have lost their minds about what it means to "help your QB." Assembling a team that can play well in all phases is a great way to help your QB, to stop forcing him to make something out of nothing. But putting together a strong running game and beefing up the defense are being spun as insults to Rodgers. I'm all about the passing game being more important than the running game; and all about finding a better #2 WR than Lazard, MVS, and EQSB even though I like them just fine as players to have rostered. But the backlash has jumped the shark.

If people step back from the draft buzz and Love-reactive narratives, and actually evaluate the players, the position match-ups, the talent, the recent results... the Packers are a better team than the Vikings. They were last year, and they're in very solid position to be again this year. There is no objective argument against that. But everyone has spent 8 months in narratives with zero football news to counteract the football speculation, and so no one has re-grounded their season outlooks through the lens of actual football, instead of through the lens of offseason narrative. It happens every year, but this year the circumstances seem to have exacerbated it.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

They are replacing what 5 starters with rookies? Yeah so they drafted 14 guys. 2/3 of these guys will probably not pan out. So much better than our veteran team! Florio lay off the pipe, moron!

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Freewheelingutey wrote:
10 Sep 2020 17:52
They are replacing what 5 starters with rookies? Yeah so they drafted 14 guys. 2/3 of these guys will probably not pan out. So much better than our veteran team! Florio lay off the pipe, moron!
Ah no. They are not starting 5 rookies.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Oh yeah, Justin Jefferson couldn’t beat out Olabisi 🤣

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Raptorman wrote:
10 Sep 2020 18:16
Freewheelingutey wrote:
10 Sep 2020 17:52
Ah no. They are not starting 5 rookies.
Yeah, just a rookie slot receiver and a rookie slot corner, I'd think.

That's the thing, they are not actually starting many of the rookies they drafted. Which is why their big, good draft haul doesn't make them much better this year.

The thing is, the guys starting ahead of those rookies are downgrades.
  • I admit Holton Hill's upside is better than the play they got from Rhodes and probably Waynes last year, but he's definitely inexperienced and probably still raw, as he was coming out. Mike Hughes was on the team last year and wasn't that good as CB3 and now he's CB1ish. I don't think anyone on the team can cover Davante, and Hill vs. Lazard or MVS is the kind of battle where each side gets their wins.
  • Who the heck are these DTs they're starting now that Floyd is gone? Like they're not good.
  • Olabisi is probably a worse #2 than even our #2, and even combined with Jefferson, doesn't replace Diggs' production from the jump
  • Their OLine.... I don't even know what to say. Those guards? Come on. And Reif certainly hasn't gotten any better, though I'd bet their RT certainly has as a young guy still on the upswing.
Like, all offseason people have been like: who is the Packers' #2 receiver? But who is the Vikings? Who did they Packers get at DT2 to help against the run? Same weakness for the Vikings. Which two veteran NFL starters on the Packers' roster will take over a starting OT position? I certainly wouldn't trade the Packers' OTs for the Vikings', would you?

When you have 2 or 3 glaring needs, everyone points at them line a shining star. But when they're just littered throughout a team, they blend in. People are overlooking the Vikings' roster weaknesses because they just blend in.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

We’re built perfectly to beat the Vikings. We have a strong pass rush and a good secondary to really &%$@ down their big play potential that has been hampered by the loss of Diggs.

Our offense has a good enough offensive line to beat up on their poor defensive line and their CBs just won’t be able to hang. My only concern is their safeties will limit big plays and force long drives which increases the chances of mistakes. Still I can’t imagine our run game doesn’t pop off.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:
10 Sep 2020 18:18
The question is this. Is that a reflection on Jefferson being bad and Johnson getting better or Jefferson just not being good? Time will tell.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Raptorman wrote:
11 Sep 2020 05:15
BF004 wrote:
The question is this. Is that a reflection on Jefferson being bad and Johnson getting better or Jefferson just not being good? Time will tell.
It’s the Vikings, so clearly whatever is worse.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
11 Sep 2020 07:00
Raptorman wrote:
11 Sep 2020 05:15
BF004 wrote:
It’s the Vikings, so clearly whatever is worse.
The Vikings always draft my "draft crush". It'd be nice if one them doesn't pan out for once these last 6 years.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.