Great Season! Greater next year!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Jan 2024 22:42
APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 21:50
lupedafiasco wrote:
21 Jan 2024 20:51
I want Xavier McKinney if the Giants let him walk. He’s young so I think they keep him but for me he’s the second best safety in this FA class. I’m not a fan of Chinns. I don’t think he’s been that great and he’s not a playmaker.
Anybody open to reuniting with Micah Hyde?
I’ve been thinking about this myself. He turns 34 next season. He’s coming off an injury year a season ago, missed some time this year too, and PFF hasn’t been a fan for 3 years.
Be interesting to see which of Savage, Ford and Owens we might wanna bring back. All 3 exceeded expectations this year. Was very low expectations, but for likely pennies on the dollar, any of them worth a resign and a pencilled in starter spot.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
22 Jan 2024 11:17
lupedafiasco wrote:
APB wrote:
21 Jan 2024 21:50

Anybody open to reuniting with Micah Hyde?
I’ve been thinking about this myself. He turns 34 next season. He’s coming off an injury year a season ago, missed some time this year too, and PFF hasn’t been a fan for 3 years.
Be interesting to see which of Savage, Ford and Owens we might wanna bring back. All 3 exceeded expectations this year. Was very low expectations, but for likely pennies on the dollar, any of them worth a resign and a pencilled in starter spot.
I think a bigger part is Barry's scheme protects safeties. You can get away with subpar safety play in his scheme because he keeps everything in front.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jan 2024 12:52

Slot CB
My buddy, who is usually pretty critical of players in general, says that Keisean Nixon is actually a top slot CB so it's not really a need. And come to think of it, I can't remember him getting burned much this season except for I think 1 or 2 bad games.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Has AJ Dillon played his last down as a Green Bay Packer?
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Jan 2024 13:35
Has AJ Dillon played his last down as a Green Bay Packer?
I would actually bring him back, pending what kind of deal he would agree to.

I thought at times he looked kind of good this year. Even in some of the early games I thought he looked better than Jones.

That would not stop me from treating RB as a top priority though. Ideally we get 2 more fast RBs.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

texas wrote:
22 Jan 2024 13:30
go pak go wrote:
21 Jan 2024 12:52

Slot CB
My buddy, who is usually pretty critical of players in general, says that Keisean Nixon is actually a top slot CB so it's not really a need. And come to think of it, I can't remember him getting burned much this season except for I think 1 or 2 bad games.
I think so to but couldn't confirm that, checked a few graders and he's not top 10 on any of them, had 6 PD's and 80 total tackles though, if the price is right we have to keep him, good returner and certainly at least a #2 slot corner.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 11:22
BF004 wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

I think a bigger part is Barry's scheme protects safeties. You can get away with subpar safety play in his scheme because he keeps everything in front.
It was one of the worst safety rooms in the NFL if not the worst. No reaosn to bring back anyone who was a part of that. All 3 have been in the league long enough to know there isnt a point in keeping them.

I agree with what you said schematically but with that they absolutely need to be able to come down and tackle. This group is pretty bad at that. I felt all season the center of this defense was really bad at passing off zones and tackling and that falls on the teams ILB and S positions. I'd blow those positions up and look to heavily revamp them.

As for Campbell with his cap number vs dead cap. I just feel like he was garbage before he came here. Played terrific one year and then never really got close to that. We save just $2.6M this season but the real kicker is in 2025 where we would recoup $12.5M. I think we have some wiggle room in FA this year but our true year to spend is in 2025 to put us over the top.

Even better yet front load Loves contract a bit to make it easier to sign/extend our slew of 2026 FAs.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Jan 2024 14:37
go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:

It was one of the worst safety rooms in the NFL if not the worst. No reaosn to bring back anyone who was a part of that. All 3 have been in the league long enough to know there isnt a point in keeping them.

I agree with what you said schematically but with that they absolutely need to be able to come down and tackle. This group is pretty bad at that. I felt all season the center of this defense was really bad at passing off zones and tackling and that falls on the teams ILB and S positions. I'd blow those positions up and look to heavily revamp them.

As for Campbell with his cap number vs dead cap. I just feel like he was garbage before he came here. Played terrific one year and then never really got close to that. We save just $2.6M this season but the real kicker is in 2025 where we would recoup $12.5M. I think we have some wiggle room in FA this year but our true year to spend is in 2025 to put us over the top.

Even better yet front load Loves contract a bit to make it easier to sign/extend our slew of 2026 FAs.
I pretty much agree with this. I'm not sure exactly how bad Ford is, but Savage is underwhelming and Owens is sort of bad. And Campbell took a big step down.

The thing about a hole at the ILB position is that you can fill that with a safety nowadays, so the lack of safety talent is sort of doubly bad in our case.

I think we all agree that we want Chinn. Who are some other names we could go after, either via the draft or FA (or a trade I suppose)?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I’m free agency I want Hyde for like $7M. I would break the bank a little for Xavier McKinney. I really don’t like Chinn at all. I think he’s super over rated. I wouldn’t mind Jordan Fuller. I think he’s just a solid safety. He would do the job if we keep Barry he would be fine.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 10:22
Dillon converting a 4th and 1.
He didn't need to. Just putting him in the backfield would have made the QB sneak work.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:

None are good, but none are liabilities. Given Anthony Johnson Jr would be the only safety on roster and you never know how the draft falls. I’d expect two of them back, unless we get after an FA.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
22 Jan 2024 15:49
lupedafiasco wrote:
go pak go wrote:

None are good, but none are liabilities. Given Anthony Johnson Jr would be the only safety on roster and you never know how the draft falls. I’d expect two of them back, unless we get after an FA.
unless a safety has stand and deliver play, stats are about all ya have to go by, PFR provided this

Ford played in 13 games had 3 PD's and 71 tackles
Savage 10 games 1 PD 51 tackles
Owens 17 games 3 pd's 84 tackles
Johnson 12 games 3 PD's 24 tackles.

right, nothing to say there a lock for next yrs roster, while safety would seem like a low priority position in Barry's prevent scheme, how can we know that, we havn't had one that actually makes a difference since Amos left, so I'd love to see what a good one could do. :mrgreen:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Jan 2024 09:51
The one thing that really concerns me moving forward is the team won’t make the tough decisions to set this team up for a SB. We saw at the end of the Rodgers era Gutenbumst continuously pushed money on bad players and kept them around instead of just moving on. Dean Lowry, Billy Turner, Kevin King, Merdcedes Lewis, etc. they were guys that should have been gone and replaced but we kept pushing money.

I hope we don’t do that moving forward. You’ve gotta move on from Bak and Campbells contracts. The dead cap will hurt but only for a year. It’s better to get out from under it now especially when there are capable players to take over for them already on the roster.
As you wrote that, we were still in the shadow of a 2023 Packer team organized by Guty that came within a play or two of beating the #1 "unbeatable" 49ers on their home turf. And then we would face the Lions in the NFCCG, a team we know that we can beat. That's how close Guty got this 2023 team to the Super Bowl.

Guty took a team with so much youth that everybody wrote them off and he put the pieces together to where, by all rights, they SHOULD be playing next week for the SB.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

A young team whose only real need is safety and swing OT and has 5 picks in the first 3 rounds sounds to me like Gute has done a good job.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

I live in Bills country and Hyde just doesn't have it anymore. Savage played better than him this year.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I think the only reason our D looked respectable against SF is because Purdy sucks throwing a wet ball. If that game was played in dry weather and our RZ offense was the same, then SF would have covered the spread. If MLF keeps Barry I can see us having another 2011 season where we will need to score 30+ points to win.

Then we will see which safeties fit the new DC's scheme .

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

lupedafiasco wrote:
go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:

I'd agree with most of this. None of these safeties are world beaters. I'd just as soon pick up 3 other safeties in the draft or off the scrap heap and see if one can turn out to be a gem.

Time to move on from Campbell. He was more of a liability this season than not.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Jan 2024 15:46
go pak go wrote:
He didn't need to. Just putting him in the backfield would have made the QB sneak work.
Jordan went too high. Get behind the beef and let them push.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Hell of a year. Like many, I was absolutely disgusted with this team mid-way through the year. Nothing was working on offense, defense or special teams. Remember losing to Carolina? Holy crap, that was embarrassing. I'm not sure what happened after that, but it sure started to click.

The one and only thing I wanted out of this season was to definitively know if Love was the guy or not. I would have been mildly ok if he turned out to be the next Zac Wilson. At least we'd know and could move on. We have our guy for the next decade, plus.

Some defensive upgrades in the middle (LB) and secondary (S/CB), 3-4 quality additions to the offensive line (need better back-ups and create competition), draft Aaron Jones' eventual replacement and get a real kicker and we're off to the races. We should have some cap space to make some reasonable moves as well, which we haven't been able to do in some time.

Oh, and a new DC.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

lulu wrote:
22 Jan 2024 17:08
TheSkeptic wrote:
22 Jan 2024 15:46
go pak go wrote:
Jordan went too high. Get behind the beef and let them push.
Ehh. I felt our line got no push and the 9ers were in the neutral zone giving them the advantage.