Post-Game: 49ers 24 Packers 21

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I really am reminded of our 2009 loss at Arizona, where lots of people have come away pretty impressed at our team and knowing they need to watch out for us in the near future.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Labrev wrote:
22 Jan 2024 16:39
I really am reminded of our 2009 loss at Arizona, where lots of people have come away pretty impressed at our team and knowing they need to watch out for us in the near future.
Probably true. This is my first post since sat night. My 1 day of sorrow is over now. I still feel we missed a great opportunity to play next week to go the SB.
Maybe the biggest thing is, this loss will burn Jordan Love. As a competitor, he will come back better than ever and thats something to look forward to. That and just Packer football again.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
22 Jan 2024 16:28
go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 08:23
APB wrote:
22 Jan 2024 07:48

Our reality?? I wasn’t anywhere near nervous.

Were you and some others? Apparently, but I wouldn’t categorize the fan base as traumatized or especially fearful of blowing games any more than any other fan base. Playoffs are tough. We win as many as we lose. We’ve won more SBs this century than most.
I know every team loses more than wins.

But I do believe the Packers have the most heartbreaking losses over any other team. Especially the last 20 years.
I can think of one that was as heart-breaking as this one, when we lost in Seattle after we didn't recover an onside kick.
Only one?

1998, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2020, 2021, 2023
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 17:21
Scott4Pack wrote:
go pak go wrote:

But I do believe the Packers have the most heartbreaking losses over any other team. Especially the last 20 years.
I can think of one that was as heart-breaking as this one, when we lost in Seattle after we didn't recover an onside kick.
Only one?

I think what makes any loss worse in the playoffs is knowing you actually were good enough and then falling short because of a couple of plays that ordinarily you could make or not make. Superbowl loss to Denver and the championship loss to Seattle are probably the worst. The super bowl loss just because it was the SB and that really good defense couldn't stop Terrell Davis. The seattle game a complete debacle.

Honestly we need to be happy we are not Viking fans. They have had it bad and quite a bit of misery. :lol: :banana:

We should have beat them guys(niners)

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Madcity_matt wrote:
22 Jan 2024 14:08
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
22 Jan 2024 12:43
Now that the elation of 4 wins in a row plus the unexplainable 4th quarter breakdown / loss to the 49ers on Saturday ............. regardless of how great Jordan Love has looked since the Panthers game BLAH BLAH BLAH.

The harsh reality is LaCoach is still guilty of not properly grooming Jordan Love in advance of this past season. Plus ...... LaCoach's play calling in the heat of the moments against the 49ers (not just the last minute) continue to irk the irkable :argue: LaCoach is a clutch threat. Don't trust him to call the right plays in the heats of the moments in playoff games.

In summary.......there is still time to clean house. IT IS TIME !!! Fire the entire coaching staff including LaCoach .............. and start over with a clean slate. LaCoach is responsible for everything that happened starting with the first preseason game with Cincinnati on August 11th to the last playoff game with the 49ers on January 20th. LaCoach is also responsible for everything that happened when Aaron Rodgers was the Packers QB.

Clean Clean Clean Clean Clean ............. and if you don't understand that, then you can clean some more.

GO PACK GO!
why go this far and leave Gutey. Probably dissolve the executive board, bulldoze lambeau field...mabey just nuke GB off the map entirely while you're at it?
Everything is on the table EXCEPT messing with Lambeau Field. It's hallowed ground and I have 2 seats at the table. NO WAY. :rotf:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jan 2024 17:21
Scott4Pack wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Only one?

Those were all hard. But most of them we were beat and the other team was better. Or at least we didn't CLEARLY outplay them only to be foiled by the most bizarre turn of events.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Back from getting my sister married. Luckily that one didn't fail at last second...

Managed to somehow get a stream working on my phone, and lay on a bed at 3:15AM in my Packers T-shirt (that I wore under the white shirt for the wedding) watching it unfold. Holy &%$@ what an epic game, and damn the football gods for ruining this Cinderella story.

Just like in marriage, there will be faults, but just like in a wedding speech, I choose to push them aside for now.

I'm so proud of these 2023 Packers. They gave me a season to remember, and a new, great hope for the future.

We hoped for Rocky II, but got Rocky. :idn:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I've been able to deal with the playoff losses pretty well. The ones that were really tough to swallow though were:

Super Bowl 32
NFCCG loss against the Giants 2007
NFCCG loss against the Seahawks 2014

The others hurt, but even by 2020 loss against Tampa, I was so used to us losing in the playoffs that I got over it quickly and just assumed it would happen anyway. But man, those 3 I listed above hurt for days...

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

salmar80 wrote:
23 Jan 2024 05:26
At least we didn't get Rocky V

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Acrobat wrote:
23 Jan 2024 09:13
I've been able to deal with the playoff losses pretty well. The ones that were really tough to swallow though were:

Super Bowl 32
NFCCG loss against the Giants 2007
NFCCG loss against the Seahawks 2014

The others hurt, but even by 2020 loss against Tampa, I was so used to us losing in the playoffs that I got over it quickly and just assumed it would happen anyway. But man, those 3 I listed above hurt for days...
This is similar for me except that I was in basic training for the 2007 Giants loss and when the dining hall employee told me that the Packers had lost on a Brett Favre interception in overtime I literally did not believe it was true until I got a letter from my sister with the box score the next week. So not actually seeing it eliminated it from the gut punch, but my lack of belief shows just how much it would have shocked me.

I also would add the 1998 wild card against the 49ers--the T.O. game/Jerry fumbled game. That one is etched in my memory to remembering where I was, who I was with, specific comments I made. I was still in high school, and developing brains can imprint that stuff a bit more; that's like my playoff loss core memory. I never thought it would be knocked from the perch until the 2014 Seahawks game.

But yeah, Super Bowl 32, as well. And the closest any of the others have come to that is, as you also mentioned, was the 2020 Bucs loss. That sucked more from a "season that should have been" than from a specific "gut punch game" perspective.

Also all of these games actually take place the year after the year they are labeled by season and that's annoyingly confusing to recon with when you're like "no, the Giants game was in 2008; I know when that happened) but referring to it by season does make the most sense.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah. You always go by season year. Not playoff year.

We don't need any of that.

My worst losses in order:

1. 2014
2. 2020
3. 2003
4. 2007
5. 2021

I was too young to really be impacted by the late 90's losses. And honestly it's pretty tough to rank them after the 2014. That one just can't be topped. Frickin Julius Peppers/Morgan Burnett.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:
23 Jan 2024 14:56

1. 2014
2. 2020
3. 2003
4. 2007
5. 2021

I was too young to really be impacted by the late 90's losses. And honestly it's pretty tough to rank them after the 2014. That one just can't be topped. Frickin Julius Peppers/Morgan Burnett.
It's to the point where the reverse psychology actually helps me cope now. Nothing will ever suck as bad as that 2014 loss to Seattle. That's the one game where I was convinced that we had it won. And I'm still convinced to this day that we would have beaten the Patriots handily in the Super Bowl.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:

1. 2014
2. 2020
3. 2003
4. 2007
5. 2021

For me it's those and then another dropoff.

GD Peppers and Burnett is right...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:

1. 2014
2. 2020
3. 2003
4. 2007
5. 2021

2014 is one of the biggest folds in NFL history. I'm technically fine with Burnett sliding. Obviously scoring would have been the best choice but that team did everything they needed to do to win on the road against one of the toughest defenses ever assembled. And in the final moments to seal the game away one player decided he wanted to put his stamp on the season. Stupid ass Bumstick. Under no circumstances should onside kicks be successful when its obviously coming. One player did one of the dumbest things on the football field. That team wins a SB for sure.

By far and away though this is the 2nd toughest loss in my lifetime because I think this team seriously wins the Super Bowl with a win here. I felt like in 2009 we still didnt deserve to win with how the defense played in that game. 2007 was tough because it was Favres last game but I didnt feel like we could beat the Pats on our best day.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Burnett sliding was quite possibly the stupidest thing in NFL history. You have like 5 minutes left in the game. Score a damn TD. And if you don't score a TD...at least get into FG range.

The location of his sliding was just so beyond stupid. Even stupider than Bumstick. You have an open field ahead of you. KEEP GOING. You can't run out the clock with that much time left. At least make it so you can burn 3 downs on offense and give Crosby a shot to add another 3 points.

The Morgan slide is unforgiveable. It was so stupid.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I actually hated the fluke 2-point conversion more than the INT slide and the onside.

It was a microcosm of the game: Seattle goes with a dumb play (a pass, when you need two yards to get the points and you have Beast Mode in his prime at RB), Packers start out strong with Peppers getting good initial pressure, Wilson just throws up a prayer, ball hangs in the air and can easily be defended but Haha does not finish and the TE comes down with it. Fffffffuuuuuuuuuu-- :bkw:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
23 Jan 2024 16:37
I actually hated the fluke 2-point conversion more than the INT slide and the onside.

It was a microcosm of the game: Seattle goes with a dumb play (a pass, when you need two yards to get the points and you have Beast Mode in his prime at RB), Packers start out strong with Peppers getting good initial pressure, Wilson just throws up a prayer, ball hangs in the air and can easily be defended but Haha does not finish and the TE comes down with it. Fffffffuuuuuuuuuu-- :bkw:
Oh you feel Ha Ha Clinton Dix not moving when Russel Wilson throws across the field and brakes all QB rules isn't normal?

I hate that guy.
Yoop wrote:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

salmar80 wrote:
23 Jan 2024 05:26
Back from getting my sister married. Luckily that one didn't fail at last second...

Managed to somehow get a stream working on my phone, and lay on a bed at 3:15AM in my Packers T-shirt (that I wore under the white shirt for the wedding) watching it unfold. Holy &%$@ what an epic game, and damn the football gods for ruining this Cinderella story.

Just like in marriage, there will be faults, but just like in a wedding speech, I choose to push them aside for now.

I'm so proud of these 2023 Packers. They gave me a season to remember, and a new, great hope for the future.

Right.
BTW, I used that same Rocky analogy last week. So, I 100% agree with it!
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

If there is anything we learned definitively from this season, it is that MLF is the right guy for the job. Lots of questions about the future of our franchise heading into the year, but I think the most definitively-answered positive answer was that yes, MLF appears to be every bit the offensive genius we wanted when he was hired, his system is among the best in the league because guys are wide open every play, and yes he was being held back by Rodgers. Love also looks to be our 3rd future HOF QB in a row, but that one is still not decisively answered yet in my opinion.

As for toughest losses, it's obviously 2014 and then everything else. But man, we have seen so many tough losses when we deserved to win. We definitely have a losing aura about us, but the expectations are that Jordan Love will be able to plow through that losing aura and turn us into a winner again.

2007*

2007 was a special loss for me personally because I was in a rough spot healthwise, and I was in the hospital after having been in and out of hospitals for about 8 months, and a previous surgery had failed (or so we thought), and it felt like nothing in my life was going right - except for the Packers. And then they did what we always seem to do which is choke in a game we should have won. And I was so mad that I did laps around the hospital, must have walked 2 miles or so in anger. And then the next day they looked at my x-rays and actually sent me home and I have been better ever since, miraculously. I think my anger cured me, presumably because it increased blood flow to the damaged organs and the anger attacked the hospital pneumonia I had acquired at that time.

As for the others in the list, I generally felt the losses worse when I was younger. I guess I am sort of numb to being let down as I have grown older, sort of like what Lions fans must feel but in a different way. That's why 2021 was just like meh, same old Packers. I tend to be much angrier when we are screwed by officiating, so $%@# John Elway and those refs. And $%@# Jerry Rice and TO too.

I put this year's loss kind of high because idk why but it just seemed like more of a gut punch despite having zero expectations for this season. It really felt like we were unstoppable down the stretch and it really sucked to see the same movie playing again when I really thought it might be different. In 2020 and 2021, I had come to expect Rodgers to let me down, but I guess I had hope Love would be able to buck the trend, and I expect he eventually will of course, but I thought this year he could actually do it.

2003 felt like the team of destiny, but it was really the team of Mike Sherman. 4th and long sort of epitomizes what we became for the next 2 decades after that game. Could you imagine how we would be feeling right now had Desean Jackson not returned that punt for a TD in 2010 against NYG and we had missed the playoffs?

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Ouch, my feelings

Spoiler tag for large image:
Spoiler
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi