LaFleur's 2024 To-do list

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

LaFleur's 2024 To-do list

Post by Scott4Pack »

Matt is a list guy, for sure. Every good HC is. What does he need to do to make the 2024 Packers better than the 2023 Packers.

1. Communicate the need to every player and coach to improve in the off season. (This was easy because he has already started this.)

2. Turn Jordan Love from the guy who threw that last INT against SF into the guy who finishes that drive against SF with POINTS.

3. Fire Joe Barry. His value (or lack thereof) was proven in two ways. First, he went into "prevent" on that last drive against SF, enabling them to score a TD, and second when he did finally keep offenses guessing, the D performed well. Joe refuses to do that nearly often enough. Nuf sed about dat.

4. Figure a way to get enough touches for ALL of our skill players. That wasn't an issue in 2023 because they are all young and hungry (except for Jones, but he's humble anyhow). But in 2024, egos will start to step up and more guys will want more touches. How to manage that... I suppose, for now, this is a good problem to have.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

To me his #1 priority is to gain more consistency in the redzone. Two years in a row now this team has been pretty bad in the redzone IMO. Last year they didn’t have the passing weapons I felt. This year they couldn’t run the ball.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Jan 2024 21:16
To me his #1 priority is to gain more consistency in the redzone. Two years in a row now this team has been pretty bad in the redzone IMO. Last year they didn’t have the passing weapons I felt. This year they couldn’t run the ball.
Red zone may have been middling but goal to go, we typically dominated. Like insane dominated. I think 20 of 21… until San Francisco.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Resign

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

How many years has it been now since the Packers had a training staff that knew how to prevent hamstring problems? MLF needs to hire someone specifically for this, as apparently other teams do not have this problem. I can't remember when I saw a player from another team grabbing their hamstring as Jones and Watson did this season.

It would be easy to fire Barry. Finding a replacement will not be so easy. And make no mistake about a replacement DC, he could be worse. All you have to do is to look at the highly rated Cowboys DC and Al Harris and what Love and MLF did to them to see how much worse.

Apparently Bakh wants to play again. It should not be a difficult decision to tell him no, but it probably will be difficult to make that decision. Selling that decision to the team could be very difficult should he return. 39 million dollars is money that should go to the future, not to a washed up OT.

I don't know if the HC submits an evaluation of every player on the team or PS or IR to the GM prior to the draft. But he should, with input from the DC and position coaches. Starting with the FA's as the decision on who to resign should be soon. Decide on Dillon and JRJ and Savage. None are great players but all of them are depth and would be good backups.

The Packers now know what they have in Love and Reed and Kraft and Musgrave and Wicks and Melton. The playbook needs to be adjusted to now that MLF knows what they are capable of.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
23 Jan 2024 22:05
Resign
After the work MLF did this year, this is a ridiculous thing to say. You really need to let it go!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

williewasgreat wrote:
24 Jan 2024 04:12
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Resign
After the work MLF did this year, this is a ridiculous thing to say. You really need to let it go!
:aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
24 Jan 2024 06:24
williewasgreat wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Resign
We need to dump the DC, not the HC, stay focused :beer2: :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
24 Jan 2024 06:24
williewasgreat wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Resign
He meant re-sign.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

5. Hire a DC :)

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

lupedafiasco wrote:
It seems like an offseason to think about what to do with our two no longer rookie matchup problem TE's that can both play should make this a solvable problem.

:beer2:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Waldo wrote:
24 Jan 2024 08:44
lupedafiasco wrote:
It seems like an offseason to think about what to do with our two no longer rookie matchup problem TE's that can both play should make this a solvable problem.

I think that will definitely help. I just really think they need to get better at running the ball and that starts with the line. Obviously Jones missed a ton of time too which hurt us. That could just be the answer there but with how the RBs struggled and the grades from PFF the run blocking was really bad up front. That needs to improve.

Then from there play action to TEs in the redzone would dominate.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Waldo wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Still need that Juszczek guy. I can't believe it can be that difficult of a thing to find, but a capable lead blocker, ball carrier, and pass catcher. I would live in 22 personnel in the redzone and you could do anything from bully-ball in the run game to splitting out 5-wide with that group.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
24 Jan 2024 08:51
Waldo wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Still need that Juszczek guy. I can't believe it can be that difficult of a thing to find, but a capable lead blocker, ball carrier, and pass catcher. I would live in 22 personnel in the redzone and you could do anything from bully-ball in the run game to splitting out 5-wide with that group.
I think Kraft can do all that and you play Musgrave as the TE in those formations.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Jan 2024 08:54
NCF wrote:
Waldo wrote:

I think Kraft can do all that and you play Musgrave as the TE in those formations.
Was gunna say the same. Maybe not the line-up in the backfield lead blocker quality that Juszczek will bring you, but I'd argue a guy like Kraft is actually more valuable. Or at least perhaps he can be.

IMO most impressive things from both Kraft and Musgrave this year was their blocking, more impressive than their receiving I thought they both be bigger weapons.

Jones's 4 straight 100+ yard games backs that up. Those guys (Kraft in particular) were balling end of the year in the run game.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
24 Jan 2024 09:01
lupedafiasco wrote:
NCF wrote:

Was gunna say the same. Maybe not the line-up in the backfield lead blocker quality that Juszczek will bring you, but I'd argue a guy like Kraft is actually more valuable. Or at least perhaps he can be.

IMO most impressive things from both Kraft and Musgrave this year was their blocking, more impressive than their receiving I thought they both be bigger weapons.

Jones's 4 straight 100+ yard games backs that up. Those guys (Kraft in particular) were balling end of the year in the run game.
If you think Kraft is that guy, then you need another TE that is more versatile/dangerous than a Ben Sims. My point is inside the 10, I really only want one WR on the field.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

We were 19 for 20 in goal to go situations with Jordan loving completing 11 of 18 for 11 TDs. EVERY completed pass was a TD. We had the best TD% in those situations with 19 TDs and 1 FG.

In the red zone Love threw 3 INTs, most in the league, and completed only 53.76% of passes. He had the 2nd most red zone passing TDs with 24. As a team we were 53.33% in red zone TDs, 17th in the league. Up from 2022's 51.85%
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
24 Jan 2024 09:07
BF004 wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

If you think Kraft is that guy, then you need another TE that is more versatile/dangerous than a Ben Sims. My point is inside the 10, I really only want one WR on the field.
so in other words you want to tell the defense, where gonna run, just try and stop us, :rotf: we gonna butt kick you :rotf:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
BF004 wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Ehh. I’d be ok with that but I would just play Watson close to in-line. He’s a pretty good blocker and has the size to make the redzone just a little bigger and obviously the speed helps.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
24 Jan 2024 09:27
NCF wrote:
BF004 wrote:

so in other words you want to tell the defense, where gonna run, just try and stop us, :rotf: we gonna butt kick you :rotf:
That's just it. I don't want the threat of the run, I want to excel at the run... and the pass. I want to be able to score both ways, at will, and in so many different ways using the same personnel grouping. Is that so much to ask for? :lol:

Read More. Post Less.