Rd 5: Dontayvion Wicks - WR

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
31 May 2023 14:34
Yoop wrote:
31 May 2023 14:05
anyone that thinks Toure is going to keep Wicks on the bench is dreaming
...I guess I'm dreaming.

:rotf:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
31 May 2023 16:09
BF004 wrote:
31 May 2023 15:34
Seems foolish to me to be adamant one way or the other. An incumbent 7th rounder vs a rookie 5th rounder. Bout as even as a matchup as you can get for a theoretical bout.

Both clearly have their faults. But Toure will come in ahead. He had to hold that 4th spot, not just from Wicks, but the rest and the TE’s. Wicks had a taller mountain to climb, imo. He has to either pretty much clearly pass Toure (given how this FO plays rookies) or have Toure flop and hold off the rest.

However this is a thread for Wicks, not carryover pet topics here. Love him from all reports on the person he is, attitude, passion, locker room, etc. Really hope he can put it together. He’ll be one of the guys I’ll be watching closest in camp.
I've never seen this forum so hyped up over a 7th round WR pick ever, and not just a 7th rounder, Toure is the last receiver drafted in that class, basically Toure is a UDFA if we don't draft him, and if our receiver situation last season was better stocked Toure wouldn't have even dressed on game days, why would I not think a 5th rounder will eventually take snaps from Toure, specially a guy like Wicks who most think is a clone of James Jones, and the coaches are already very excited about :idn:
What from my post could possibly lead you to respond with ‘I’ve never seen this forum so hyped up over a 7th round WR pick ever’?

Who is hyping up Toure? I honestly don’t think I’ve seen anyone. Be better Mike, doesn’t this get tiring, even for you?

Do you consider it hyping him to say ‘i don’t think it’s a given he is unseated by a 5th rounder for that coveted 4th string position? Guess we just have incredibly different ideas of what hype means.

However, what I did say in the post your quoted, is that this isn’t a thread for Wicks and not carryover let topics.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BF004 wrote:
31 May 2023 22:52
Who is hyping up Toure? I honestly don’t think I’ve seen anyone.
Literally just me and NCF saying we expect Toure will come into the year at WR3 over Reed in that thread you made, in part because we both think Toure looked like a guy who can play the position quite well for a late-round flier, but in equal part solely based on the observation that this coaching staff has a heavy seniority bias.

Early reports out of OTAs suggest we are wrong about that, which is fine; Reed is the more talented guy anyway and therefore better for the team. I do nonetheless think that we have a little something in Toure. That's my "hype" on him.

But, I guess mine and NCF's opinion speaks for the whole forum now. That's pretty cool! :beer2:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Toure had a decent rookie year. It’s obvious it’s his job until he loses it. Every year for every team there is a late round pick that was just so totally a steal and I’d like going to totally takeover the league week one brooo. This year that player is Wicks.

I choose to continue to reserve judgement until I see Wicks on the field against nfl competition, thanks.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
31 May 2023 23:46
Toure had a decent rookie year. It’s obvious it’s his job until he loses it. Every year for every team there is a late round pick that was just so totally a steal and I’d like going to totally takeover the league week one brooo. This year that player is Wicks.

I choose to continue to reserve judgement until I see Wicks on the field against nfl competition, thanks.
Who was Donald Driver? Just a nobody, just a 7th round pick. He wasn't as big as Toure or as fast.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
What from my post could possibly lead you to respond with ‘I’ve never seen this forum so hyped up over a 7th round WR pick ever’?
sorry for tagging your post, should have just made a new post, the hype comment comes from all the defense for Toure and the push back I've gotten believing a 5th rounder who has better scores will over take him and get more game snaps this season

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 Jun 2023 07:55
BF004 wrote:
sorry for tagging your post, should have just made a new post, the hype comment comes from all the defense for Toure and the push back I've gotten believing a 5th rounder who has better scores will over take him and get more game snaps this season
I don't remember a strong narrative pushing against your statement that Wicks will overtake the 4th position at some point during the season outside of simply pointing out "he is a 5th round rookie vs a 7th round 2nd year playerv - so it will be a close competition".

But I do remember you making a mountain out of a mole hill talking about how bad Toure was last year and using misinterpreted stats to push how bad Toure was and is.
Last edited by go pak go on 01 Jun 2023 09:53, edited 2 times in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 May 2023 14:19
Yoop wrote:
31 May 2023 14:05
anyone that thinks Toure is going to keep Wicks on the bench is dreaming :rotf:

he was a top 50 to 60 pick 2 years ago according to many scouts, last year he declined mostly I think because his team made drastic changes and he didn't fit in as well to the new schemes, Wicks is exactly the type of receiver a young QB can count on to be open when plays break down.
My concern with Wicks is how quickly he will pick up a new, complicated NFL offense. The new offense at UVA seemed to make everyone else's performance suffer, so maybe it's just bad coaching. But a LOT has been said and written about how he struggled making mid-route adjustments or reading defenses rather than just run a route as called. And we have experience on this team with a similarly-sized, productive major conference player in J'Mon Moore whose apparent struggles were in learning and mastering the new NFL playbook.

That is all speculative. I can't possibly know how that will turn out. But when you have the speed limitations and rumors of struggling to learn new or more complex offenses, I think he might be a slower development than many expect.
just going off draft profiles and very little watching either play, Toure to me is a slot/hybrid, and Wicks being a possession vertical edge type receiver.

you make a good point, if Wicks can't learn the playbook he'll struggle to get game snaps, but everything was in decline for him last season, lost confidence and concentration and focus which led to dropped passes, the year prior he broke Herman Moore's team receiving records, to me this kid will benefit from having a quality program and coaches get his technical skills back on track.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
01 Jun 2023 08:37
Yoop wrote:
01 Jun 2023 07:55
BF004 wrote:
I don't remember a strong narrative pushing against your statement that Wicks will overtake the 4th position at some point during the season outside of simply pointing out "he is a 5th round rookie vs a 7th round 2nd year player".

But I do remember you making a mountain of a mole hill about talking about how bad Toure was last year and using misinterpreted stats to push how bad Toure was and is.
I simply pointed out reasons why Toure should have seen more then 10 targeted throws, obviously he would be penciled as the #4 RIGHT NOW, who besides Watson, Doubs, are left from last seasons receivers? again my points had more to do with who's number four when the season starts or after a few games.

to me Touri has a lot of competition for the position he is most suited to play, we have Reed, and Doubs that seem more skilled to play the slot receiver, and we need boundary receivers like Wicks, my natural assumption is that Wicks will get more game snaps.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Jun 2023 04:18
Drj820 wrote:

Who was Donald Driver? Just a nobody, just a 7th round pick. He wasn't as big as Toure or as fast.
For sure I still have plenty of hope for toure. I just don’t get the wicks love fest at this point in the off-season
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Jun 2023 10:46
TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Jun 2023 04:18
Drj820 wrote:

For sure I still have plenty of hope for toure. I just don’t get the wicks love fest at this point in the off-season
Either Wicks or Toure could be the #4. We have very little data to use to make a choice at this point. But the preseason is not far off and odds are that 1 of these 2 will win this #4 priority. Keeping it after this season is another matter. Another issue is that Wicks is not a slot receiver while Toure probably can play WR#2 and slot.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
26 Jan 2024 18:06
Year Two Tae was a sophomore slump, a ton of drops, and ravage idiots insisting that it's time to cut him.

I hope Year Two Tae is not loading

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Jan 2024 18:51
Labrev wrote:
26 Jan 2024 18:06
Year Two Tae was a sophomore slump, a ton of drops, and ravage idiots insisting that it's time to cut him.

I hope Year Two Tae is not loading
If I recall correctly, that was because he was hurt. High ankle sprain

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Year two Adams was hurt, late to pitch points, had drop issues as a result, it broke his confidence, I remember people saying he was a bust.

Touri struggle as soon as he got game snaps, thats why he was only targeted 10 times as a rookie during a season with a shortage of quality receivers.

Wicks college videos showed that he had great feet, great first step, and excellent route running ability, thats why I said Touri would have strong competition, and he did, Touri will be lucky to make the cut this summer.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

A major problem for Davante year 2 was he bulked up too much according Tom Silverstein. I remember him saying Davante spent so much time in the weight room trying to get stronger he came into the season heavier than he’s ever played and it took away some of his explosiveness and then the ankle injury happened. All that combined with being thrust into WR1 was a perfect storm for him to falter.

I don’t foresee Wocks running into the same problems because we are deeper at pass catcher across the board. It won’t all be on him to take this giant leap.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Has anyone looked at the All-22 from the Niners game to see why Wicks was not used? Is he that bad against Zone coverage? Or was Love just not seeing him open? I only remember seeing a couple of targets his way.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

packman114 wrote:
27 Jan 2024 10:34
Has anyone looked at the All-22 from the Niners game to see why Wicks was not used? Is he that bad against Zone coverage? Or was Love just not seeing him open? I only remember seeing a couple of targets his way.
I thought part of it was a really bad game plan. Packers seemed to have an objective to attack with the TEs and that’s the 49ers strength.

The other part is we are just super deep at WR and opportunities are just going to be slim going forward.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Rank the roster gunna be real interesting next year for those 4 guys.

Wicks should ‘probably’ be 4th among those 4, however I think he’s the most likely to take that step to being that guy.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
27 Jan 2024 12:38
Rank the roster gunna be real interesting next year for those 4 guys.

Wicks should ‘probably’ be 4th among those 4, however I think he’s the most likely to take that step to being that guy.
I'm still voting Toure as leading that group...