Safety

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Feb 2024 12:21
Can’t get anyone better my ass. King was out of the league the following year!

The other thing I think is wrong is that Barry miscast Savage. The Packees are the one that miscast Savage. They thought he could be that single high safety. They thought they got Earl Thomas. Even in college Savage was best from the robber and star position.
OK, hardly the fault of Savage that he was drafted to be what he had never been, if thats the case, all I know is we moved up 11 slots or so to draft him, and he was the hottest safety in the league the last 7 or 8 games of 2020 in a quarters scheme, not as physical as we all like in a safety, but sure as heck better then anyone else on this roster, Ford ehhhhhhh, but he's even less physical.

King out of the league? didn't know that, but again is that Kings fault? scheme fault? or was it because he could barely pass a physical.

you make a good point, how often do we pick players ill suited to the task we demand they perform, football just isn't as generic as it was years ago when safety had to fill a lber spot, or good lord forbid a boundary CB position.

I remember a game in 2019, forget the TE's name, and I think he was matched up on King, and had burned King big time on several passes, Pettine rolled Savage down manning that TE and that was the last of that TE for the day, why we didn't move Savage to star/nickel and draft a cover 1 safety 2 years ago will always be a mystery to me, maybe they didn't feel he was physical enough as you claim, don't know, but it seemed like a sensible option to me, or maybe, in Barry's scheme secondary just isn't important enough, hell we didn't even attempt to draft a replacement for Amos.

others are right, it'll take more then just replacing the DC to right this defense, drafting players that fit his schemes is also important.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Feb 2024 12:56
Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2024 12:53
the point is you claim he gave up open field tackles, which is a half truth at best, it assumes that it was last line of defense, which it wasn't.
No, that is not what that assumes. Open field tackles are not always last line of defense. An open field tackle can be behind the line of scrimmage.
well then there should be other defenders there to make sure the runner doesn't advance, your more intent to blame Savage and over look the rest of the lousy play, Savage is no different then other DB's we have who don't tackle well, could say a result of the passive attitude from the coaches on down

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Yoop wrote:
06 Feb 2024 13:35
Savage is no different then other DB's we have who don't tackle well,

IF the Packers are modeling their defense after the 49ers, then we should see Q Walker, McDuffie and draft pick LB getting the lions' share of tackles - instead of relying so much on the Safeties. Front four should keep the LBs cleaner

Packers rankings in tackles for 2023 ( injuries had an impact here)

Walker
Nixon
Owens
McDuffie
Campbell
Ford
Savage

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... /2023.htm

Gute commented on the value of the slot CB in his recent presser: "Safety and slot CB have become interchangeable in these defenses" so you'd expect that slot spot to make a lot of tackles

How should the tackle rankings look if the defense is playing as designed ?

WIL
MLB
Slot CB
SLB
SS
FS
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
06 Feb 2024 14:02

How should the tackle rankings look if the defense is playing as designed ?

WIL
MLB
Slot CB
SLB
SS
FS
Should be:
Mike
Sam
Wil
SS/Slot
CB/FS

In the Barnett 4-3 days everything was funneled back into the Mike. That's more of a "passive" style. I would assume that we would be more attacking with our LBs as a whole so we will get more tackles out of SAM and Wil, but the Mike will still be supremely important.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Should be MLB, whichever LB you keep on the field in nickel, SS, nickel CB, FS, base LB not on the field in nickel.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

What I’d like:

Sign FA Xavier McKinney (probably too expensive but less money than Winfield jr.)

Draft Cooper Dejean in the first rd.

McKinney is a great open field tackler and a very good pass defender.

Dejean is versatile. He could play slot CB, CB, or even Safety.

Those 2 would greatly enhance the back end of the Packers D and they’re both young.

Then draft another safety on day 3.
Love is the answer…

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Safeties actually aren't paid crazy money. In the same vein that top TEs are a relative bargain compared to top WRs, S is a pretty affordable position to buy in free agency; CB is the position where you really have to break the bank.

I'm not worried about price tag with McKinney or the other top FA safety targets. If they have the right skill-set to be productive in our system, then we should go for it. Dunno if single-high is his thing, or if he would man the other safety spot, but if he can do either at a high level, I'm in.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I want McKinney badly in the FA market. Sportscaster has his market value at 10.4M. I am working a mock that has him coming here for 12M so I think that’s about right. OTC however has him at 13.5M so likely he falls somewhere in the middle.

I think you get McKinney in here as your versatile do it all safety and go between whoever comes out ahead between Kinchens and Nubin. Nubin I think has a similar skill set as McKinney but is the overall better player in my opinion. Kinchens probably is the better scheme fit. Not a fan of Dejean myself so far but I’m trying to find the allure.

Another one to watch out for is Jordan Fuller who played under Hafley at OSU. OTC values him at 6.5M.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

What ever happened to Tarvarius Moore ? Packers signed the former 3rd rounder from SF to be a part of the Safety crew in 2023- and then he got injured in preseason. Good player, fast dude. But he never signed with anybody else the rest of the 2023 season- even though he should have been healthy enough to play. Just kind of strange that neither the Packers nor the 9ers grabbed him despite a string of injuries at the position

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/transact ... e-to-start

IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
07 Feb 2024 14:16
What ever happened to Tarvarius Moore ? Packers signed the former 3rd rounder from SF to be a part of the Safety crew in 2023- and then he got injured in preseason. Good player, fast dude. But he never signed with anybody else the rest of the 2023 season- even though he should have been healthy enough to play. Just kind of strange that neither the Packers nor the 9ers grabbed him despite a string of injuries at the position

Because nobody thought he was that good.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

go pak go wrote:
07 Feb 2024 14:22
BSA wrote:
07 Feb 2024 14:16

Because nobody thought he was that good.
Exactly. Sometimes the most obvious answer IS the actual answer.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Alohi Gilman is worth a look in FA. The coach from LAC probably knows him well.

Here’s an article on him

https://theathletic.com/5050315/2023/11 ... breakdown/