Packers releasing Aaron Jones

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

boo

A
No votes
B
No votes
C
36%
D
29%
F
36%

Total votes: 14

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

A RB who can’t be relied in to carry the lord and being paid like it never made sense.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Love AJ, but he is 30…
Rb have a short shelf life.
Tough choices gotta be made.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Mar 2024 15:17
A RB who can’t be relied in to carry the lord and being paid like it never made sense.
I agree. Jones will be missed. Good dude who was super productive. I just wanted my cake and to eat it too. Wish we could have had AJ and JJ, although I realize that's not realistic.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

MY_TAKE wrote:
11 Mar 2024 15:25
I just wanted my cake and to eat it too. Wish we could have had AJ and JJ, although I realize that's not realistic.
I got to spend an extra half hour in the JJ & AJ Era, until I came and saw this awful thread. It was a beautiful fantasy.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

This guy was all heart. Size, strength, and speed will always be replaceable in this league. The kind of heart that Aaron Jones had is tough to replace.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Packers pretty much sucked when he wasn’t playing last season. I don’t like this move!

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

A for logic, F for heart.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Nice back-and-forth between these two forever Packer people.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah I think I just hate this. I think whatever his best offer was would have been worth keeping.

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

I think this may be as much to do regarding the way the Packers feel about Wilson.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

BF004 wrote:
11 Mar 2024 14:47
I wouldn’t be surprised if we still bring him back after he tests the market.
Is this on the table?

I feel like this won't be a 2016 (or whatever year that was) Randall Cobb situation

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

mnkcarp wrote:
11 Mar 2024 15:38
A for logic, F for heart.
I think it's a D- for logic, F for heart.

TBH he is still one of the top RBs in the league. And since he probably averaged what like 30% of snaps per season, he's likely to be better, longer, than most RBs.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I was just beginning to read the post that we got Jacobs and thinking how he was our Dillon-replacement. But, was I shocked to read the rest of the story. A real gut punch.

I have felt hurt about losing a few Packers. White. Collins, Favre. Woodson. Nelson. Maybe a few more. But this one just kicks me in the nuts.

I know Guty can totally justify this. And he deserves credit for making tough choices. But I wish we could just have one more season with AJ. OK, I mean two seasons. In reality, I think the Vikes are gonna bring him in for sure. We have no chance to bring him back.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

It seems the Packers used the money and cap space saved by releasing Aaron Jones to replace him with Josh Jacobs.

While Jacobs is three years younger both have received a similar amount of touches at the NFL level (Jones 1,577 - Jacobs 1,519). Jones has been significantly more productive on a per play basis though. Considering he was such an influential leader in the locker room (according to Gutekunst at the combine) I don't like that move at all.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Scott4Pack wrote:
11 Mar 2024 21:59
I was just beginning to read the post that we got Jacobs and thinking how he was our Dillon-replacement. But, was I shocked to read the rest of the story. A real gut punch.

I have felt hurt about losing a few Packers. White. Collins, Favre. Woodson. Nelson. Maybe a few more. But this one just kicks me in the nuts.

I know Guty can totally justify this. And he deserves credit for making tough choices. But I wish we could just have one more season with AJ. OK, I mean two seasons. In reality, I think the Vikes are gonna bring him in for sure. We have no chance to bring him back.
That was my initial impression as well. Thought it was an excellent move to get 2 really prodcutive backs that can both run and catch well. Dillon was decent, but very different from Jones. Jacobs is some different, but also very similar to Jones. Thought it was brilliant.

Shows you what I know. I was happy to sign Jacobs, I was not happy to let Jones go. Don't get me wrong, I have lots of enthusiasm for the new guys all over that offense and they really stepped up last year, but make no mistake. This team went as far as Jones took them. He was the one that made everyone better. He allowed the run game and then the pass game to flourish within the scheme. We got more first downs, continued more drives, scored more points and took pressure off our defense when he was on the field. he affected both sides of the ball.

It will be interesting to see how this team responds to losing a leader like that. I think they'll be ok, but nothing is a given.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Sucks for Jones. I was hoping he'd go to KC and compete for a ring.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Ouch. Probably not much more than we offered.
RIP JustJeff

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

:bkw:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just all around gross.