Packers releasing Aaron Jones

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

boo

A
No votes
B
No votes
C
36%
D
29%
F
36%

Total votes: 14

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

BF004 wrote:
12 Mar 2024 07:40

:puke:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Acrobat wrote:
12 Mar 2024 10:59
Unpopular opinion alert, but I don't care about the little details of the contract. Josh Jacobs is a better RB than Jones. And I say that as a huge fan of Aaron Jones.
I hope so, but worried that will not be the case.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Jones' contract before cut:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Sure sounds like Schneidman's source thinks we keep Jones if the offer was better

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Mar 2024 12:26
Sure sounds like Schneidman's source thinks we keep Jones if the offer was better

If that offer is real, we basically cut him without cutting him when we offered that slop
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Jones is definitely high-risk with his age and tread, but I do believe worth the risk at $7M.

Maybe last year's injuries really spooked them, and/or they really wanted Jacobs but not to pay for both. :idn:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I would have done the $8 million guaranteed for Jones and draft a RB compared to $15 million for Jacobs.

I guess we will see who is right in 10 months. I just feel like Jones is better at making something out of nothing compared to Jacobs. I like slashers. Jacobs is quicker than Dillon but not as dynamic as Jones from what I have been seeing.

Plus Jones was the heart and soul of the team.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

go pak go wrote:
12 Mar 2024 12:51
I would have done the $8 million guaranteed for Jones and draft a RB compared to $15 million for Jacobs.

I guess we will see who is right in 10 months. I just feel like Jones is better at making something out of nothing compared to Jacobs. I like slashers. Jacobs is quicker than Dillon but not as dynamic as Jones from what I have been seeing.

Why is everyone assuming $8 million (from the Packers) for Jones seals the deal?

From everything I’ve seen, the logical assumption is the Packers offered lower then $12 million, Jones/agent decided against that, Packers quickly moved on and perhaps overpaid Jacobs, Jones seems salty and quickly signs a deal with the Vikings for $7 million with the Vikings.

His agent has a track record riddled with greed. I think too many people are too emotionally invested with Jones & can’t see all the sides. /shrug

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

go pak go wrote:

I was lucky enough to have Jacobs on my fantasy team in 2022 and he definitely made a lot of plays out of nothing. He's a different runner compared to Jones. Very good at wiggling through tight spots (giggidy) and breaking tackles, but also has breakaway speed. He really is the complete package if he has any sort of O-line actually blocking for him.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:

I honestly would have extended Jones adding 2 more seasons and drafted his replacement, relegating him to 3rd down back if/when the wheels fell off. BUT I can see the desire to get younger and don't hate the signing of Jacobs.

As for right or wrong, that should be more than a 10 month determination seeing as that seems to be most of the reasoning behind the change here.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The other aspect not talked about, is whatever we paid Jones in 2024, had we kept him, would be in addition to $5.7 million from signing bonus and 2 restructures and THEN we would have had a $6.638 million cap hit in 2025 due to void years. That's partly the reason I wanted a 2 year extension.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Jones had a higher YPC then Jacobs, did better on less touches, and is a lower mileage back, and basically are the same size.

people are using the Raider team to say Jacobs is better then he's shown, he had one great season, same as Jones but needed a 140 more touches to do it

Jacobs will have to prove this was a good deal next season, as it stands now we got hosed.

In reality I think Jones told Guty to stick his offer, and signed with the Vikes out of spite, probably coulf have gotten another mil or 2 from Dallas.

I have very little faith that Jacobs will stay healthy, and still want one of the best RB's in this draft class.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Yeah, it's my understanding that Aaron Jones is better than Jacobs, but I could be wrong on that because I have not watched a ton of Jacobs, as I have Jones.

I too want a top RB in the draft.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
12 Mar 2024 13:24
Jones had a higher YPC then Jacobs, did better on less touches, and is a lower mileage back, and basically are the same size.
Jones is not a lower mileage 'back, he had 400 more carries in college than Jacobs and about 100 more touches via pass in both college and pros, and he is pushing 30 whereas Jacobs just turned 26.

Also, 5'10/220 is definitely not "basically the same size" as 5'9/208 (soaking wet). Jacobs is appreciably bigger on paper, and is visibly more rocked-up than Jones.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
12 Mar 2024 13:50
Yoop wrote:
12 Mar 2024 13:24
Jones is not a lower mileage 'back, he had 400 more carries in college than Jacobs and about 100 more touches via pass in both college and pros, and he is pushing 30 whereas Jacobs just turned 26.

Also, 5'10/220 is definitely not "basically the same size" as 5'9/208 (soaking wet). Jacobs is appreciably bigger on paper, and is visibly more rocked-up than Jones.
Jones is 5'9.5 and may play over that combine weight, of 209, roughly the same size, Jones seems shiftier, with more top speed too, and in the pros has 168 less touches and 2 more years of play time then Jacobs.

we'll see which RB produces in 2024, both have plenty of incentive to do well, this just isn't how I would have done this, all I know is people are using what they think was a lousy Raider team to for why Jacobs didn't perform better last season, while acting as though our OL was so much better, when we where middle of the league run blocking.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
12 Mar 2024 14:47
Jones is 5'9.5 and may play over that combine weight, of 209, roughly the same size,
10-15 pounds difference is not roughly the same. If he did add weight, it would probably affect his speed, quickness, etc. So Jones's optimal weight (at which he does not lose an athletic edge) appears to be 206. Jacobs's can play at 220 and without it affecting his athletic gifts, namely good contact balance and shiftiness (not as shifty as Jones, but shiftier than most his size).
and in the pros has 168 less touches and 2 more years of play time then Jacobs.
And when you subtract 168 less carries in the pros from his 407 MORE carries in college, you still end up with more carries than Jacobs, +239 to be exact, not to mention roughly 100 more receptions in both college and NFL receptions.

So yes, Jones has more mileage than Jacobs, to the tune of ~339 more touches (run and pass).
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Just catching up but these negotiations and final result with Jones are gross.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think it is fair to say that reps at UTEP are not equivalent to reps in the NFL--which is often why college is left a little out of it.

I'm not saying you don't have ANY point about Jacobs having a very light college load and Jones having a heavier one. I'm just saying they're not all apples-to-apples here.

But yeah, Jones is 3 years older and has some wear. Jacobs is 3 years younger and has some wear. I think it's fair to say that their mileage is not a significant advantage of either guy. My issue has been that the age alone is being sold as a bigger advantage than I believe it to be because of some of those inequities. I think they are each almost equally likely to fall off and look less explosive by the end of the 2024and if you think that's silly for a RB going into his 6th year, look at the explosiveness drain from Zeke Elliot's career after year 4 and totally tail off after year 6.

Guys who are taking a lot of hits and breaking (more than eluding) a lot of tackles often wear down faster. But some of them are Derrick Henry or Jerome Bettis. You can't predict it. I'm not predicting it. But the risk is there for both of these players.

That's why I focus on the fact that to me, Jones has simply been the better more creative, more efficient, and more special back between the two. Jacobs is a guy who can do the job well and I hope that he continues to do it well. But I question the value with the financials involved.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

You guys can negotiate the financial details. Have at it.

I look at this.
Better player: arguably Jones.
How many games did each play in 2023: Jacobs
Who will be able to play longer: Jacobs

There are other factors, of course. But as far as our roster is concerned, this wasn't a bad move. And I say that while I still grieve the loss of Jones. He's one of my fave players (not merely Packer players) of all time.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Labrev wrote:
12 Mar 2024 08:19
Another guy who has played with Rodgers, and is not one of his besties, showing no interest in going to play with him.

He would rather play for a team with no QB! :|
Let's ignore there's no need for the Jets to spend several millions on a RB with Breece Hall on the roster.