Green Bay Packers @ Minnesota Vikings GDT - 9/13 - 12:00 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Victory vid!!

Read More. Post Less.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
14 Sep 2020 08:19
I just can't underscore enough how excited I am though about this season and about this team. And it was because of one guy yesterday.

Aaron Rodgers.

I can't state enough how excited I am watching Aaron Rodgers yesterday. I don't think we have seen this from Rodgers since 2011/2010. He was in rhythm. He stayed in the pocket. He took what the defense gave him and dumped the ball to halfbacks when nothing was there.

YOU GUYS.

And what was even better is he was also still Aaron Rodgers we know and love. He still did the hardcount. He still had those plays where he escaped for a broken play and he made them. Like all of them.

Our offense is so much better when Rodgers is say 5 for 7 on broken plays rather than what we have seen the last many years of say 8 for 19 or so.

We honestly should have put 50....really 60 points on MN.

We all heard all August that Rodgers was back and nothing yesterday showed anything to the contrary.
This. I said it when we drafted Love- I hoped and somewhat expected that he would never see the field for us. Not like never as in this season but never as in like ever (except of course as a backup or gadget player).

I do sort of believe that MLF saw the same thing I saw- that this team's problem was the diva attitude from 12 and that he figured that he'd spend a 1st round pick on a QB if it came to it, not necessarily as a replacement but as a kick in the ass. I mean, yeah of course having a cheap Jordan Love is better than a mid-tier QB like Rodgers at $30m, but the pick was made as a no-lose situation: either Rodgers shapes up or we save a lot of $$$. And I would rather Rodgers just be what he once was again. I would gladly throw away a R1 pick if it meant we got 2011 Rodgers back.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

BF004 wrote:
14 Sep 2020 13:51
Sounds about right

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

go pak go wrote:
14 Sep 2020 06:43
BF004 wrote:
13 Sep 2020 23:10
Minnesota’s worst game for TOP in franchise history.
And yet they put up 34.

Honestly this defense astounds me. So Jeckyl and Hyde.

Defense allows 7 points all game (only from opening drive) and then 27 points between the 4th quarter and 14 seconds left to go in the half.

And it wouldn't really bother me if we didn't see this exact same thing last year.
Idk I get the feeling we might be Hyde and Hyde. If we either stay the same as last year or get worse I say fire Pettine after the season. Games like this and the NFCCG give me heavy Dom vibes. No need to go through that again.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

texas wrote:
14 Sep 2020 21:21
go pak go wrote:
14 Sep 2020 08:19
I just can't underscore enough how excited I am though about this season and about this team. And it was because of one guy yesterday.

Aaron Rodgers.

I can't state enough how excited I am watching Aaron Rodgers yesterday. I don't think we have seen this from Rodgers since 2011/2010. He was in rhythm. He stayed in the pocket. He took what the defense gave him and dumped the ball to halfbacks when nothing was there.

YOU GUYS.

And what was even better is he was also still Aaron Rodgers we know and love. He still did the hardcount. He still had those plays where he escaped for a broken play and he made them. Like all of them.

Our offense is so much better when Rodgers is say 5 for 7 on broken plays rather than what we have seen the last many years of say 8 for 19 or so.

We honestly should have put 50....really 60 points on MN.

We all heard all August that Rodgers was back and nothing yesterday showed anything to the contrary.
This. I said it when we drafted Love- I hoped and somewhat expected that he would never see the field for us. Not like never as in this season but never as in like ever (except of course as a backup or gadget player).

I do sort of believe that MLF saw the same thing I saw- that this team's problem was the diva attitude from 12 and that he figured that he'd spend a 1st round pick on a QB if it came to it, not necessarily as a replacement but as a kick in the ass. I mean, yeah of course having a cheap Jordan Love is better than a mid-tier QB like Rodgers at $30m, but the pick was made as a no-lose situation: either Rodgers shapes up or we save a lot of $$$. And I would rather Rodgers just be what he once was again. I would gladly throw away a R1 pick if it meant we got 2011 Rodgers back.
I never got the impression MLF had an issue with 12. From a distance they seemed to get along well. Last year AR struggled at times because he was learning a new offense for the first time in his career. IMO the reason Gute took Love is they felt he was the best player still on the board (and all the WR's with a first round grade) were gone.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I will go on the record and state I don't believe we traded up for Love to "send Aaron a message".

Because if we did, I want the front office fired just like I wanted Aaron cut if he was playing poorly to send the message to fire Mike.

They drafted Love because they think Love can be a really solid player with 3 years of development.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Everyone does remember Kirk didn’t have 100 yards passing till the 4th quarter, right?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
15 Sep 2020 06:47
Everyone does remember Kirk didn’t have 100 yards passing till the 4th quarter, right?
Yup.

This game would have been a lot more fun if the final was 43 to 13 like I thought it was heading.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
15 Sep 2020 06:48
BF004 wrote:
Yup.

This game would have been a lot more fun if the final was 43 to 13 like I thought it was heading.
Game 1. Our pass rush didn't come through in the 4th. The same pass rush was phenomenal last year with the same guys and now we have Gary doing well. I am not worried.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
15 Sep 2020 06:48
BF004 wrote:
Yup.

that was the score I predicted :banana: I had a feeling Rodgers would come out hot, and that a lot of practice would be spent on developing the timing with his receivers, appears I was right, he had a 154 QBR throwing to Adams, MVS, and Lazard

If Love was drafted to light a fire under Rodgers, I suppose it's accurate to assume we drafted Gary last year to light a fire under the Smith boys, this could start a new trend around the league, teams will now use there first round picks to jump start players there teams feel need some sparking :rotf:

for whatever reason fans wont even comment that Rodgers has been asking for what we just saw for over 3 seasons, rather it's always some facet of Rodgers not doing what he's suppose to be doing, or he's over the hill, and we drafted his replacement.

and it wasn't so much THAT RODGERS got McCarthy fired, it's that Rodgers couldn't/wouldn't bail him out, when we saw him pass up open receivers or not dump off to check downs, well obviously some of that was Rodgers not seeing them, but I contend some of it was Rodgers sticking no matter what to the called play, either way, McCarthy got McCarthy fired, and Rodgers frustration level declined, finally he new this stale offensive schemes would change, last years play was better then years prior, and so far this year it looks even better, and Love has had very little to do with any of it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

fans wont even comment that Rodgers has been asking for what we just saw for over 3 seasons
Because he wasn't...
it wasn't so much THAT RODGERS got McCarthy fired
This was LITERALLY said many times over the previous year.
finally he new this stale offensive schemes would change, last years play was better then years prior, and so far this year it looks even better
Yes, offensive scheme does have SOME to do with it. Receivers improving, does have some to do with it. Rodgers improving has some to do with it. Rodgers' play did not improve from 2018 to 2019, it was pretty much the same. The receivers are the same as last year, however, improved. The best possible answer for improved play is Rodgers himself.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Positives:
Rodgers mechanics- When he could his mechanics were on point. The last few seasons he would flick the wrist without stepping in even if he didnt have to. He still did some of it but for the most part his mechanics were consistent.
Check downs and reverse pitches- The check downs were great. We have a deep RB group. Get them in space one on one and I trust them against any LB not named Wagner. The reverse pitches I really liked. That will set a lot up in the future but I dont think they should be using Lazard in that role. Ervin blew by defenders around the edge.
Pass pro- The protection was great. The catch 22 would be they didnt play a strong pass rush either. The Vikings defense without Hunter in garbage. Still Wagner was impressive. Everyone else was very good. Runyan is going to get his shot. Lets hope we have our guards set for years to come.

Negatives-
The entire defense- Nothing was good on defense besides specific plays. Alexanders safety was bad ass. So was his INT before half. Him getting burnt by Theilen deep wasnt. Or getting beat early by Thielen for big gains. The pass rush I felt was kind of weak as well considering the talent discrepancy. The run defense started poorly and theyre lucky the offense pulled away. They were very poor most of the day. What happened before the half was inexcusable. The big run is what it is. That pass down the middle was inexcusable to set up the FG.
Darnell Suckage- I was high on Savage and its still early but at this point hes trending towards bust status. He played well enough for a rookie but the same struggles are present. Poor or reluctant tackling. Tons of speed but coverage mistakes. He needs to be better in year 2 and its early but unfortunately it was much of the same from him.
Redzone offense- I thought the redzone gameplan was booboo. Run the damn ball. With all they were missing up front we should have looked to impose our will but there was some funky decisions made. Of course it could have gone the other way and worked out but IMO just play to your strength and their weakness and pound them.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Sep 2020 08:54
What happened before the half was inexcusable.
This irked me, too. Just failure after failure led to easy points that shouldn't have been.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
15 Sep 2020 09:03
lupedafiasco wrote:
This irked me, too. Just failure after failure led to easy points that shouldn't have been.
Like I said the run is what it is. Play the pass there. If they rip one just dont allow them into field goal range. But the pass play was weird. The underneath backer sat on the sticks. The time should have been an indication that they werent looking for a first down. Gotta carry that route down the field and make it a little harder. Cousin just launched it over top and then the compound mistake of the penalty to follow. Its still early with a lack of preseason I do expect coverage breakdowns.

At no point during this game did I see any semblance of an improved defense. This defense desperately needs Clark healthy and the media hype of Kamal Martin to be a reality or they will be in trouble.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Sep 2020 08:41
fans wont even comment that Rodgers has been asking for what we just saw for over 3 seasons
Because he wasn't...
it wasn't so much THAT RODGERS got McCarthy fired
This was LITERALLY said many times over the previous year.
finally he new this stale offensive schemes would change, last years play was better then years prior, and so far this year it looks even better
Yes, offensive scheme does have SOME to do with it. Receivers improving, does have some to do with it. Rodgers improving has some to do with it. Rodgers' play did not improve from 2018 to 2019, it was pretty much the same. The receivers are the same as last year, however, improved. The best possible answer for improved play is Rodgers himself.
Rodgers 3 or 4 years ago said we needed change, specially that we needed to run more, there are articles that support this that I wont go look up for you.

NO, the best answer for improved play is everyone having more experience in MLF's offense

I said he got McCarthy fired because it appeared that way, never said it as a fact, and when you look at the way he passed up open check down receivers it gave the impression he was sticking to the called play NO MATTER WHAT happened, specially so in the first 3 quarters

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Rodgers 3 or 4 years ago said we needed change, specially that we needed to run more, there are articles that support this that I wont go look up for you.
You won't look them up because this does not exist.
NO, the best answer for improved play is everyone having more experience in MLF's offense
That's a good answer, but we changed the scheme and Rodgers didn't improve. We have the same receivers as last year and Rodgers improved.
when you look at the way he passed up open check down receivers it gave the impression he was sticking to the called play NO MATTER WHAT happened
Hmm, this makes little sense, checkdowns are not part of the called play?

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

...using NFL’s Next Gen Stats, they recorded only seven total dropbacks of 44 where Rodgers saw pressure. Some of it had to do with a quick trigger from Rodgers, who got rid of the ball on an average of 2.3 seconds — because pressure typically arrives at around 2.5 seconds in a typical dropback, this mitigated the vikings pass-rush.
IT. IS. TIME

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

via The Athletic:

"Mike Zimmer shook Matt LaFleur’s hand near the middle of the field, a brief interaction between the longest-tenured coach in the NFC North and the young hotshot fresh off an appearance in the conference championship game a year ago. Zimmer then turned and stared down the 70 yards that separated him from the tunnel that would take him back to an office where he’d be left to sort out all that went wrong Sunday.

He looked shellshocked as he walked, his pace close to a crawl. He typically jogs off the field, but he had just watched the Packers do what no team had done to his team in this stadium. Green Bay, the nemesis to the east that was supposed to regress this season with an aging quarterback fading so fast that the Packers drafted another quarterback in the first round, had just come into U.S. Bank Stadium and hung 43 points on the Vikings. No team had scored that much on a Zimmer-led defense since his 2012 Bengals gave up 44 in the opener against the eventual champion Baltimore Ravens.

Zimmer had spent the month preceding this game boasting frequently about his prowess, fresh off agreeing to a lucrative contract extension with the Vikings. It didn’t matter to him that the team had lost six defensive starters or was playing three corners with little experience or that the interior defense offered ample reason for concern. If he was coaching, his mantra went, it didn’t matter who was playing.

“I’ve never had a bad defense,” he told multiple people multiple times. And he stressed that he didn’t plan to start having one now.

But as he walked off the field after a 43-34 loss, the reality of what he faces was unavoidable."
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BSA wrote:
15 Sep 2020 10:02
...using NFL’s Next Gen Stats, they recorded only seven total dropbacks of 44 where Rodgers saw pressure. Some of it had to do with a quick trigger from Rodgers, who got rid of the ball on an average of 2.3 seconds — because pressure typically arrives at around 2.5 seconds in a typical dropback, this mitigated the vikings pass-rush.
Hopefully we can keep that average down. I want to say it was upwards of 3 the last handful of years.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Sep 2020 09:22
NCF wrote:
15 Sep 2020 09:03
lupedafiasco wrote:
Like I said the run is what it is. Play the pass there. If they rip one just dont allow them into field goal range. But the pass play was weird. The underneath backer sat on the sticks. The time should have been an indication that they werent looking for a first down. Gotta carry that route down the field and make it a little harder. Cousin just launched it over top and then the compound mistake of the penalty to follow. Its still early with a lack of preseason I do expect coverage breakdowns.

At no point during this game did I see any semblance of an improved defense. This defense desperately needs Clark healthy and the media hype of Kamal Martin to be a reality or they will be in trouble.
When you play prevent. For the love of god you better "prevent" big plays.

I didn't see us play prevent. I just saw us get our a$$ kicked with 14 second in a half and an entire 4th quarter.

I also don't buy, "well the game was out of reach". Because we eneded up relying on our offense to be its super consistent self to score points and take time off that 4th quarter.

If the 2019 Packers offense was playing that 4th quarter....I don't know if we escape that game.

And you want to talk about our run defense....did MN like run it on every 2 pt conversion? Did we have an answer for them at all?
Yoop wrote: