Jordan Morgan, OL, Arizona 2024 1st Round Pick, #25

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Grade

A
28%
B
44%
C
20%
D
4%
F
4%

Total votes: 25

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

yoop is gonna hate it but I really think we are largely just going to groom/redshirt Morgan this year and he will be our backup swing-tackle.

I'm sure he will see the field a bit because he will be a top OL backup, and starting linemen get injured all the time, but I don't see him starting. The most open OL position is RG, which he has never played, would be both a new side and new position.

I don't see Morgan starting full-time until either (A) we let Myers walk and move Tom to C next season, making Morgan our long-term RT; or (B) we let Walker walk in two seasons and Morgan is our long-term LT; or (C) he eventually carves out a role at guard. I feel like his trajectory at G would be a lot like Daryn Colledge in that he would need to transform himself physically to fit the position, so he would probably need a season or two.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
28 Jun 2024 13:20
yoop is gonna hate it but I really think we are largely just going to groom/redshirt Morgan this year and he will be our backup swing-tackle.

I'm sure he will see the field a bit because he will be a top OL backup, and starting linemen get injured all the time, but I don't see him starting. The most open OL position is RG, which he has never played, would be both a new side and new position.

I don't see Morgan starting full-time until either (A) we let Myers walk and move Tom to C next season, making Morgan our long-term RT; or (B) we let Walker walk in two seasons and Morgan is our long-term LT; or (C) he eventually carves out a role at guard. I feel like his trajectory at G would be a lot like Daryn Colledge in that he would need to transform himself physically to fit the position, so he would probably need a season or two.
Morgan is the LT of the future, there is not one thing that Walker does that will be better then Morgan by the end of TC, nothing, not pass pro or run blocking, the main reason Walker may hold that position would be experience.

I think what might hold up the progress of Morgan some is the low wonderlic, slow to learn, we seen that with some of our other first round picks, ever heard of that kid Gary :lol: , high floor out of college can be deceiving, the slow learners take more time to hit there projected high ceiling, it happens, but Morgan will start somewhere this season, just to many positives.

I tend to think eventually it'll be

Morgan, Jenkins, Tom, Ryhan, Walker, we'll see.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Yoop wrote:
28 Jun 2024 14:02
Morgan is the LT of the future
That's a strong possibility, but MLF just commented that they're putting him at RG for now. So he's learning a new position on a new side of the line. Next year, he may get moved again, but for now it sounds like they want him to focus on RG

Full Speed Ahead

"The rookie first-round pick passed a big test at his new position in holding off defensive tackle Devonte Wyatt on consecutive reps during 1-on-1 pass-rush drills between the offensive and defensive lines.

Morgan was a four-year starter at left tackle for Arizona State but has been working extensively at guard since the beginning of training camp in an effort to find a starting five on the O-line.

"He's been predominantly inside," Head Coach Matt LaFleur said. "Certainly, in OTAs we put him a decent amount at tackle, but I think he's starting to feel more and more comfortable inside. But I think he's talented enough if need be, that if we have to kick him outside we can do that."

IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's very early but the quotes are confirming what the beat reporters are observing--Morgan is positionally pretty locked in for now at RG, where he is competing for a starting spot with Rhyan.

Worth noting, down in Tampa, Barton has been struggling with his snaps at C.

Do any of these developments, thinking about Barton v. Morgan, thinking about a G/T who doesn't seem to be getting a shot at T after some brief spring reps versus a C/G who doesn't seem to be that great at snapping the ball....

does any of this change how anyone feels about the pick or are we all reasonable people who understand you can't make any assessment this early on anything?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Jul 2024 09:10
does any of this change how anyone feels about the pick or are we all reasonable people who understand you can't make any assessment this early on anything?
Certainly, it is early. I hated the Morgan pick because I thought he was an OG-only. Post Draft we were convinced that wasn't the case, but here we are again. I liked Barton better because of the OC versatility and Myers struggles, but the comments surrounding Barton are interesting. The honest truth is there probably wasn't a perfect pick for us at our spot, so it was the best of what was available. If Morgan becomes a decent OG, it all works out, but I just didn't see this as our typical high upside Round 1 pick.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
31 Jul 2024 09:10
or are we all reasonable people
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I already wasnt a fan of the pick but it looks even worse if the plan is to make Morgan an OG.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Jul 2024 14:15
I already wasnt a fan of the pick but it looks even worse if the plan is to make Morgan an OG.
Morgan was touted as an OG convert even before the draft, so that being the plan is not a surprise. It doesn't make the pick any worse or better in that regard.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I have no issues with taking a guard at 25, was in favor of it. Wouldn’t look down on it.

Guards are super valuable, top guards get pair more than CBs, no one would hesitate to take a CB in the top 10. Guard in the top 25 is completely fine

And the exciting thing about him is, maybe he can be a tackle! Wouldn’t want a rookie starting at tackle anyways this year.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
31 Jul 2024 15:11
And the exciting thing about him is, maybe he can be a tackle! Wouldn’t want a rookie starting at tackle anyways this year.
I think that is where I am not excited. If you want an OG, draft one. If you need an OT, take one of those. These tweener types can be super valuable, but in the 1st-round, it kind of seems like taking Datone Jones and then not knowing what to do with him. If Fautanu would have fell to us, I would have been fine with it. Pencil him in at RG for the next decade.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
31 Jul 2024 15:27
BF004 wrote:
I think that is where I am not excited. If you want an OG, draft one. If you need an OT, take one of those. These tweener types can be super valuable, but in the 1st-round, it kind of seems like taking Datone Jones and then not knowing what to do with him. If Fautanu would have fell to us, I would have been fine with it. Pencil him in at RG for the next decade.
I can get behind the tweener pick because honestly we don't know what we have in Rasheed Walker yet. As long as Morgan is a good player we are good. Just draft good players.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
BF004 wrote:
A LOT of successful GB guards were tackles in college.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

I think I'm with the majority here. If he can end up being a really good Guard, maybe even All Pro level, then this is a great 1st round pick no matter what he played in college.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
BF004 wrote:
I think as much shifting positions they do in college gives them some versatility, most of our G's where college tackles.

thing that stands out to the ability of Morgan to go in or out is the footwork imo, every clip I've seen shows the quick feet, square stance, thats why I figured tackle would be a good fit for him, sounds like he's done well at RG though, best 5 have to play, somewhere, on paper this OL looks the best we've had in a few years

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
31 Jul 2024 15:40
NCF wrote:
BF004 wrote:
I can get behind the tweener pick because honestly we don't know what we have in Rasheed Walker yet. As long as Morgan is a good player we are good. Just draft good players.
My thoughts exactly. It ends up being a project and with the way these rookie deals are set up vs veteran deal you want to get the most bang for your buck early in a players career.

As for former great Packer guards that were college OTs, they typically were taken later in the draft because it took them time to transition. TJ Lang and Josh Sitton went in the 4th.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Jul 2024 15:58
NCF wrote:
BF004 wrote:
I am well aware of that. I think the best ones there was a plan for and these guys were not taken high in The Draft. Josh Sitton was NEVER viewed as an NFL OT. TJ Lang, less of a plan, but low cost investment. Derek Sherrod was clearly an OT even though he got some reps at OG, as well, as a rookie. Bulaga is probably the best comparison to Morgan and that worked out well at OT. Morgan does not seem to be projecting the same way, at least early.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
31 Jul 2024 17:34
go pak go wrote:
31 Jul 2024 15:40
NCF wrote:

My thoughts exactly. It ends up being a project and with the way these rookie deals are set up vs veteran deal you want to get the most bang for your buck early in a players career.

As for former great Packer guards that were college OTs, they typically were taken later in the draft because it took them time to transition. TJ Lang and Josh Sitton went in the 4th.
I didn't want Morgan either at our first pick but I would have been happy with a DB or Edge Cooper with our first pick. But ultimately we got exactly what I wanted with in our 2nd round so I am pretty happy. So if Morgan ends up giving us successful snaps and slides into our top 5 OL...I'm fine with all of it. Can't get too nitpicky at that point.

Only thing that sucks is it sounds like Arnold is doing well in Detroit. I really, really wanted that guy
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I question putting him at RG. You're making a rookie learn a different position and different side of the OL. I'd rather have him focus on being the best swing-OT he can be, since we need a guy who can play T capably should Walker or Tom be unavailable.

I don't mind drafting a Guard in Round 1, but I don't think Morgan is a R1-caliber player there. The thing that made him a Day 1 guy was his movement skills in pass-pro at T.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Don’t even get how you can say that knowing GB’s history of taking the C\G\T tweeners, from College, Sitton, Lang, Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Tom. And now Morgan.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
31 Jul 2024 18:30
Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Jul 2024 15:58
NCF wrote:

I am well aware of that. I think the best ones there was a plan for and these guys were not taken high in The Draft. Josh Sitton was NEVER viewed as an NFL OT. TJ Lang, less of a plan, but low cost investment. Derek Sherrod was clearly an OT even though he got some reps at OG, as well, as a rookie. Bulaga is probably the best comparison to Morgan and that worked out well at OT. Morgan does not seem to be projecting the same way, at least early.
And I think if it wasn't for Tom he would get more of a shot at OT. Even then, I could see Morgan moving in at OT for an injury and never letting it go.

As for tweener talk, the only that would even be remotely considered a tweener about him is his arm length. That is important, don't get me wrong.