2024 Dynasty League

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Aug 2024 21:41
If he is so terrible, why would he be unlikely to be available?

Your understating and misstating knows no bounds.
Bruh I have Stetson Bennett on my roster. Stetson "4INT preseason debut after taking a year off for burnout" Bennett

We have 37-man rosters. We all want a round of waivers after the draft; that's not even a debate. You think every QB2 won't be snatched up? In a league with up to 30 weekly starting QBs?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2024 21:34
Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Aug 2024 20:49
There isn't a "right" answer, but your arguments to prop up your opinion are wrong. To say there is no advantage to FCFS for those who get the notification first is WRONG. To say that it really doesn't matter because it is only a player like WR3 is WRONG.
I didn't say there are no advantages, I said it is not ALWAYS an advantage and that there are tradeoffs.
Incorrect
I in no way believe it tilts the balance toward anyone.
I don't think there is much to be gained or gamed from having a FCFS system
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I stated explicitly that acting with speed comes with a tradeoff of waiting for good information. I also pointed out that the pool of players available in this league are almost always going to be bottom-of-the-roster guys and rarely pan out.
Then you also should point out that the addition would come at the cost of the 36th player on a so the tradeoff for speed is well work it since that 36th player rarely pans out anyway.
We have 37-player offseason rosters! 37! We probably have like 350 rostered skill position players right now and I bet there are only like 500 skill position players in the actual NFL. We've got 60% of the available league rostered! Your viewpoint is that FCFS for 3 weeks of an offseason when no games are being played is some massive disadvantage because you might miss the 371st best fantasy player.... ok.
Again straight understatement.
If Brissett, Mariota, and Wentz (the only QB2s I see on the list of available players that I can tell) don't get grabbed in the first round of waivers, then that's on each of us if we miss them later. Almost every QB1 and QB2 is rostered right now. And other than QB, the idea that there's one clear beneficiary that everyone would instantly recognize and grab in the event of injury just doesn't hold up.
This is a QB heavy league! Getting a starting QB no matter who it is, is Huge! It matters and that you can get a notification and click a button faster shouldn't be a determining factor. And it absolutely holds up that there are clear beneficiaries. Carson Wentz is the CLEAR beneficiary if Patrick Mahomes goes down.
So I don't care what other leagues have done or why.
Because it flies in the face of what you claim is not an advantage, but obviously is.
Of course from time to time someone will get a notification and grab the potential replacement before you. But that potential replacement will probably stink.
That is nonsense conjecture.
Why else would he not be on a 37 man roster already?
Why isn't Carson Wentz?
Figuring out who to grab and when is part of the game. Guessing who might benefit from a potential injury is part of the fun. Trying to grab a sleeper from camp before others hear about him is rewarding. It's a game, man! It's full of randomness and full of strategy and full of arbitrary choices. Let life happen. You can't control every situation and scenario. Let things rip. Let people move fast and break things. This isn't going to break society, let alone a little $20 fantasy league.
Who can click first is not strategy.

And you want to game a $20 league because you have the ability to be on your phone 24/7.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2024 21:57
Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Aug 2024 21:41
If he is so terrible, why would he be unlikely to be available?

Your understating and misstating knows no bounds.
Bruh I have Stetson Bennett on my roster. Stetson "4INT preseason debut after taking a year off for burnout" Bennett

We have 37-man rosters. We all want a round of waivers after the draft; that's not even a debate. You think every QB2 won't be snatched up? In a league with up to 30 weekly starting QBs?
Josh Dobbs and Clayton Tune were both claimed on Sept. 6th. Clot McCoy who was cut by the Cardinals on August 28th has not been claimed since 2022.

So no, they aren't all snatched up.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly, if you don't put in a claim for Carson Wentz when these waivers open up, we should implement FCFS immediately. You would deserve it at that point, given how valuable you assert that he is.

But seriously, the QB2s will probably all be grabbed in the first round of waivers. Remember that NO ONE has denied that after the draft there should be a round of waivers. Not a single person has argued against that. That hasn't happened yet. Carson Wentz played only once last year, in week 18 after our season was done and rosters are locked. Given your assessment of his value, you should have spent a 4th on him in the draft. But other than the draft, we haven't had the opportunity to roster him yet this year. That's why he's not on a roster.

Your whole argument revolves around 3 QB2s sitting available. Three guys. Three guys that will probably be claimed. And after this discussion, if they are not claimed, then you don't have any credibility complaining if someone beats you to him.

As for the quotes you grabbed of mine, each of them had explanations. My assertions are not inconsistent, in full. My point is that the type of fantasy player who makes a bunch of pickups due to pressing a button and being on their phone 24/7 is just as likely, on balance (that's a word you quoted) to drop someone useful as they are to claim someone useful. The odds are long for all players down at the 36th and 37th spots on these rosters. The decisions will involve chance, randomness, luck, circumstance. Some work out, some don't. On balance, I think being the first to grab players doesn't guarantee you anything. Individually, in the very specific case of a QB2 being available, yeah, of course that helps. But also if a QB2 is available and wasn't claimed, you had your shot.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Aug 2024 22:11
Josh Dobbs and Clayton Tune were both claimed on Sept. 6th. Clot McCoy who was cut by the Cardinals on August 28th has not been claimed since 2022.

Honestly I love this line of attack! You're killing it!

Your argument is that having unfair access to Carson Wentz, Josh Dobbs, Clayton Tune, and Colt McCoy are season-changing imbalances! Yes. Keep talking. I'm gonna stop responding and let you cook. You're better at making my point than I am.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

CLAYTON TUNE!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2024 22:31
Honestly, if you don't put in a claim for Carson Wentz when these waivers open up, we should implement FCFS immediately. You would deserve it at that point, given how valuable you assert that he is.
Red herrings are fun! He would be VERY valuable if Mahomes got hurt.
But seriously, the QB2s will probably all be grabbed in the first round of waivers.
Now it is probably all, not every??
Remember that NO ONE has denied that after the draft there should be a round of waivers. Not a single person has argued against that. That hasn't happened yet.
I haven't claimed anything to the contrary. It has not happened yet because we do not yet know how to proceed after that.
Carson Wentz played only once last year, in week 18 after our season was done and rosters are locked. Given your assessment of his value, you should have spent a 4th on him in the draft.
I didn't claim he help any value at this time. You are again misconstruing what I said.
But other than the draft, we haven't had the opportunity to roster him yet this year. That's why he's not on a roster.
I thought he was too terrible to be of use as the Chiefs would likely trade for or pick up a replacement? He can't be so terrible he holds little value as a pickup if Mahomes is hurt and yet be so valuable that he would definitely have been picked up had we run waivers.
Your whole argument revolves around 3 QB2s sitting available. Three guys. Three guys that will probably be claimed. And after this discussion, if they are not claimed, then you don't have any credibility complaining if someone beats you to him.
LOL no, not at all, they are simply examples. Nice Red Herring again through!

As for the quotes you grabbed of mine, each of them had explanations. My assertions are not inconsistent, in full.
They aren't inconsistent, they simply change.
My point is that the type of fantasy player who makes a bunch of pickups due to pressing a button and being on their phone 24/7 is just as likely, on balance (that's a word you quoted) to drop someone useful as they are to claim someone useful. The odds are long for all players down at the 36th and 37th spots on these rosters. The decisions will involve chance, randomness, luck, circumstance. Some work out, some don't.
Yet you say the bottom of our 37 man rosters rarely succeed? There are PLENTY of examples of useful players that were added to rosters because the starter ahead of them was injured. Jake Browning (another example, along with Siemian, who was not snatched up) is 1 that readily comes to my mind. Guys like him aren't meant to be long term success stories, but their play is useful to short term success. The additions I know you know I am talking about are very likely to be thrust into a starting roll or greatly increase roll. These types of additions are not comparable to roster 36 and 37 guys.
On balance, I think being the first to grab players doesn't guarantee you anything. Individually, in the very specific case of a QB2 being available, yeah, of course that helps.
Nothing guarantees anyone anything so saying so is pointless. However, these injury replacements have a much better chance to do something than the guys are the very bottom of our rosters.
But also if a QB2 is available and wasn't claimed, you had your shot.
That's nonsensical to this argument...
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 21 Aug 2024 23:11, edited 2 times in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Aug 2024 22:33
Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Aug 2024 22:11

Honestly I love this line of attack! You're killing it!

Your argument is that having unfair access to Carson Wentz, Josh Dobbs, Clayton Tune, and Colt McCoy are season-changing imbalances! Yes. Keep talking. I'm gonna stop responding and let you cook. You're better at making my point than I am.
That was NOT my argument AT ALL!

That you are willfully misrepresenting what I said and what I was replying to is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. It is the very reason you left out your own quote before my reply on Tune and Dobbs, to misrepresent what I was replying to.

You SPECIFICALLY SAID, "You think every QB2 won't be snatched up?." I gave you an example of QB2s that were not snatched up.

mnkcarp
Reactions:

Post by mnkcarp »

Wait, now... who's this hypothetical person who doesn't have time to be on the computer all the time?

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

mnkcarp wrote:
21 Aug 2024 23:11
Wait, now... who's this hypothetical person who doesn't have time to be on the computer all the time?
I don't know but this is rather exhausting.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

:munch:

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

So did we decide on September 1st as cutdown day? Do I remember that?

When are we opening waivers? Monday? It feels like that was floated but then 23 and I argued for 2 pages and drowned it out, so i'm not sure if we stuck to it. Sorry 'bout that

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I think its usually cut down by Sunday, monday buffer day for commissioner to cut players for inept owners. Normal waiver period that goes Tuesday and Wednesday, process, thursday am, game thursday.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

29 or 27 for roster size?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Aug 2024 11:42
Rosters remain at 29. One short of a nice round 30, much to @Packfntk's shagrin :lol:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Aug 2024 14:05
Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Aug 2024 11:42
Rosters remain at 29. One short of a nice round 30, much to @Packfntk's shagrin :lol:
Perfect. Thanks.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Silly to do 29 and not 30 but if that’s the hill you are going to die on good for you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
29 Aug 2024 17:33
I think its usually cut down by Sunday, monday buffer day for commissioner to cut players for inept owners. Normal waiver period that goes Tuesday and Wednesday, process, thursday am, game thursday.
Looks like we need final cutdown to 29 active players from @BF004 and @Madcity_matt today before we start up waivers in TWO DAYS
:banana:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 Sep 2024 09:44
BF004 wrote:
29 Aug 2024 17:33
Looks like we need final cutdown to 29 active players from @BF004 and @Madcity_matt today before we start up waivers in TWO DAYS
:banana:
done

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

@Madcity_matt

There always has to be one...

Read More. Post Less.