How you became a fan

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 13:40
I was born.
Yeah. But there had to be a time when you knew that you had to love the Pack (and at the same time say, "da Bears suck").
8-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Growing up in Wisconsin, no one I knew cheered for anyone other than the Packers. I was also the youngest of eight and so I faced a lot of sibling pressure to cheer for the Packers. But, it was easy being a fan of the best team in football. The sixties was a great time to be a Packer fan!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I grew up in Marshfield, home of Mark Tauscher! Born in 62. I became a fan during the last Starr years. I really didn't recall the Super Bowl glories before then and many of the heroes were gone. Nitschke was still there, Gale Gillingham, and a few others. I only remember watching some games with my dad and grandpa.

I remember more during the gloom years when the Hadl trade happened. Worst trade ever (possible exception when Herschel Walker was traded). I remember Scott Hunter maybe becoming the heir to Bart Starr; after all he played at Alabama, just like Starr! Jerry Tagge and other inept QBs. There weren't many good teams but there were always good players.

I got to meet Fred Carr in Marshfield the one time. You might remember my Carr playing card logo on the old forum. Chester Marcol was always a favorite too. (I never could figure how a geek-like guy could kick a ball.)

I left home and went into the military in 1982. Didn't watch much pro football and the Pack was really bad during those years anyhow. But then, I watched the game where Majik burned da Bears! I was a living and breathing Pack fan again from them on.

Since then, I've been only to three games. One was really bad, in Philly. The other two (one in Denver and the other in GB over da Bears with injured Aaron two years ago) were both magical, for different reasons. You just can't replace memories like those.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

CheeseHusker
Reactions:

Post by CheeseHusker »

I lived in Nebraska as a kid and was really more of a college football guy than a pro football guy. I did watch the NFL though. I kinda defaulted to Dallas and Houston because I had grandparents in Texas who bought us a lot of Cowboys and Oilers gear. These were the days of Earl Campbell and Tony Dorsett. My brother had some of those Sears long sleeved jerseys that I'd get as hand me downs. But I also liked a few different teams - mostly the Jets, Eagles, and the Packers too because I liked green.

I moved to Wisconsin in the mid-80s and slowly warmed to the Packers over everyone else, even though they were not a good team for a very long time. Yes, I suppose I really hopped on the wagon with Favre, but there was always a latent fanhood there. At the same time Dallas went from Tom Landry to Jimmy Johnson and kinda became the Miami Hurricanes of the NFL, so I pretty much tuned them out from that point.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
27 Mar 2020 04:49
Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Mar 2020 13:40
I was born.
Yeah. But there had to be a time when you knew that you had to love the Pack (and at the same time say, "da Bears suck").
8-)
True. The first Packers' teams I remember are the Majkowski and Infante Packers. I was still a kid living in Monroe, WI and the Bears always sucked. It wasn't until I moved up to River Falls for college that I realized how much the Vikings suck. I really started to get into football when Holmgren and Favre arrived. Before then it was Packers and being a fair weather fan of the BIlls, 49ers, Raiders, etc... Since then I can't actively cheer for any other team.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

HeavyD
Reactions:

Post by HeavyD »

My parents and family have always been Packer fans, my first memory of the team were the Lombardi Super Bowl years. Expectations were always high, but as the team started to get worse, around 1968, I distinctly remember a watching games and hearing a string of F bombs from Uncle Robert on a weekly basis. My dad never told Uncle Robert to watch his language. Under any other circumstance, cursing in our home was forbidden, but for some reason Uncle Robert was allowed to curse the Packers for four quarters straight. I can't believe my dad never said anything. I'll never forget it.

In mid 60s - getting any sort of highlight of a Packer game was a rarity. I remember the first year of Monday Night Football, 1970. I was a 7th grader, half time was must watch TV because the broadcast included highlights of every game. I was in heaven. My social studies teacher would bet with me and friend every week, for a nickel. He always took the underdog. Mr Blount. Good guy, wonder what happened to him.

Oldschool
Reactions:

Post by Oldschool »

Been rooting for the packers all my life. My old man was a season ticket holder for Milwaukee games since ‘57. We moved around a lot when I was a kid but we always followed the Pack. As much as you could in those days anyway! Around about ‘70 we moved to Chicago and while I was still living at home my Dad and I would religiously make the trip to Milwaukee to catch the games. Some of my fondest memories. Years later we made a trip to Lambeau together and sat in his “new” seats. 2002 I think, against the Lions. Irreplaceable. “We saw a winner!” I try to get back to a game at least once a year. Gotta get my walleye and Leinenkugle fix doncha know.

My first real recollections of watching games were the when we were playing against the Bears and the great Gale Sayers and vs. Cleveland with Jim Brown. Myself, I was a big Jim Taylor fan. Lived in KC when we played in the first NFC/AFC Championship Game. I enjoyed going to school the next day. :lol:

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Growing up in Green Bay we always watched the Packers. I also played a lot of Madden football, but never totally understood the details or the "Why" of the game of football. I always played on defense as Kampman (so he was my first favorite player). I then decided to learn more about the game by reading the press gazette (packersnews.com) articles everyday. I then stumbled on Julies world and the rest is history.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
29 Mar 2020 08:37
Growing up in Green Bay we always watched the Packers. I also played a lot of Madden football, but never totally understood the details or the "Why" of the game of football. I always played on defense as Kampman (so he was my first favorite player). I then decided to learn more about the game by reading the press gazette (packersnews.com) articles everyday. I then stumbled on Julies world and the rest is history.
While Madden football was (and is) a poor simulation of the game, it sure was a great tool to learn about terminology and formations. In the era before plentiful internet videos, it was very educational see how cover-2 differed from man coverage, etc.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

My father took me to my first Packers game when I was grade school. He had season tickets at old City Stadium behind East High School and got tickets to Lambeau when that opened in 1957 when I was 3 years old. Even tho he is now in an assisted living facility in GB even at 97 he still watches games even if he can't remember them afterwards. ;)

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

Parents are Bills fans, I watched Packers Cowboys nfcc in 1995 and liked the color green more than blue /silver.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

:bears:

Read More. Post Less.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

I had that Tailgate Tunes cd. Awesome. :)
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

They really, really, really, really, really, really SUCK, Yes the BEARS STILLLLL SUCK! :lol:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Trudge wrote:
29 Mar 2020 23:02
Where has your old man been?

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Packfntk wrote:
30 Mar 2020 10:23
They really, really, really, really, really, really SUCK, Yes the BEARS STILLLLL SUCK! :lol:
while I hated to see the Bears win a SB, it broke up the dull drums of the 80's Packers for me, Chi town came alive in 85, lots of SB party's and hoopala, I suppose I became a bit traitor ish as I left my Packer attire at home when I went to one, actually most of those people new I was a Packer fan, I just didn't broad cast it by wearing my old Bart Starr jersey. :lol:

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

NCF wrote:
30 Mar 2020 10:37
Trudge wrote:
29 Mar 2020 23:02
Where has your old man been?
He's been sitting at home, not sure where he's been. Probably hitting up the Trump boards I'm assuming. I'll reach out to him.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Born in '58 and still located in Rochester, NY. Bills were AFL which wasn't the same as NFL in the early to mid 60's. Lots of Giants & Browns fans here but we're an Italian family so my Dad watched the Lombardi Packers and how could you not fall in love with them. My earliest memories are of the the three in a row teams. Neither of my sons followed suit but don't worry they're out of the will!!! Probably read Instant Replay 100+ times.

Freewheelingutey
Reactions:

Post by Freewheelingutey »

Well let's see. It was 1980 something. My family used to live across the street from the high school football field/ track. One day we saw a guy running the track and doing exercises. I think there were about 5 or 10 of us boys all ranging in age from about 5 to maybe 12. Some how we all got the courage up to run with him...the next time he was there. He was a really cool guy..great with kids..let us hold his feet while he did pushups. He talked openly about what it was like being a Green Bay Packers player!! He was none other than Johnny Gray!! Great guy!! Got his autograph.
Had to see who he was as a player. I watched him and became a fan of his and The Green Bay Packers. The cops used to give out Green Bay Packers football cards also.
He still lives in Depere Wis. I used to see him once in a while..but..never told him how I met him years ago. He knows my brother-in-law as he used to live on their street. His great uncle was also Arnie Herber.
Also his hot daughter used to bartend at this &%$@ hole bar I hung out at in the 90's. He would go there sometimes.
He would bring other guys with him once in a while. Rich Wingo I think. Got his autograph somehow. There was a kicker too. I'm sure it was not Chester Marcol. I can't think of who it was.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Growing up in Racine, WI, I was old enough to (vaguely) remember '96's excitement, but not old enough to have really appreciated what it meant. That was around the time I became conscious of the Packers and the names of the big stars, namely Brett Favre and Reggie White.

My dad used to watch the games pretty much every week since then. It took me until the last month of the 2000 season to take an interest in it. Up to that point, all I could make out was chaotic pushing and shoving. Other kids my age were getting into it, and had their own favorite teams/players.

I started to like the Bucs at first ( :thwap: ). They were real good and exciting to watch those years, particularly on defense. But then this was still Packer Land at the end of the day. Devotion to team rubs off.

And, oh yeah, that Brett Favre guy. How could you watch that man play and not pull for him?

It's been greatly satisfying to watch Rodgers carry the torch since Brett left. One incredible HOF talent to another.

I don't see myself watching football much longer, for a host of reasons, but want to see Rodgers play out the rest of his career. Hopefully, that entails a few more championships. :)
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto