Who will be our #1 WR

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who will lead our team in receiving yards in 2024

Romeo Doubs
14%
Christian Watson
41%
Jayden Reed
32%
Dontayvion Wicks
14%

Total votes: 22

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Madcity_matt wrote:
06 Sep 2024 10:04
If Watson stays mostly healthy I think he's a 12+td 1000+ yard receiver. And if that is true and he isn't our number one then that's just fantastic!
Yeah if healthy I cant see how Watson isnt a double digit TD guy. Gotta think hes the main deep threat for the offense that will get behind. Hes also going to be a fade target in the redzone. Then theres just those plays where he will turn something upfield and beat the defense. Along with all that I think will come the yards but I doubt hes the main chain mover. I dont think hes the type to win early in a route and get the 3rd and short conversions.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Sep 2024 10:21
Madcity_matt wrote:
If Watson stays mostly healthy I think he's a 12+td 1000+ yard receiver. And if that is true and he isn't our number one then that's just fantastic!
Yeah if healthy I cant see how Watson isnt a double digit TD guy. Gotta think hes the main deep threat for the offense that will get behind. Hes also going to be a fade target in the redzone. Then theres just those plays where he will turn something upfield and beat the defense. Along with all that I think will come the yards but I doubt hes the main chain mover. I dont think hes the type to win early in a route and get the 3rd and short conversions.
I'd agree with that as well

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Madcity_matt wrote:
I saw someone make the comparison to 2011 Jordy where he was the big play guy in a loaded room and didn’t code as WR1 (Jennings) but still led the team in multiple categories

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Total yardage should not determine who the #1 WR is. There's so much more that goes into such a determination.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Still no conclusive answer. Interesting problem to have. Doubs probably has the best hands. Wicks gets open. Etc Etc.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
25 Sep 2024 19:56
Still no conclusive answer. Interesting problem to have. Doubs probably has the best hands. Wicks gets open. Etc Etc.
Watson deep threat that draws coverage. Reed is the Swiss army knife (Cobb but better).

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
A "problem"...?

Can you define this "problem" for us?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
25 Sep 2024 22:30
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
A "problem"...?

he did, he said it's interesting, I agree with that assumption, I'd think we all would, it also opens a door for discussion.

Doubs usually seems like a last resort receiver, or the first read on 3rd down

Watson for all his speed rarely seems wide open, good with contested catches, love that fight for the ball ability he shows.

Reed is our gadget player, and does just about everything very well

Wicks seems like a possession receiver, great route runner, strong.

all seem to block well, all are young and havn't reached there ceiling yet, a problem in remission

Musgrave may have more athletic ability then Kraft, but he looks slow this season, and looks like he's thinking to much.

I'd add more but need more coffee :)

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Considering we have only had our QB1 for one game, it's really hard to tell who will emerge, if they all don't. I think Reed is the most likely to blow up, followed by Watson. Need to get Wicks involved, but I think he'll get his looks when we have Love back.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

How will he know which football card to buy?

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
26 Sep 2024 07:51
How will he know which football card to buy?
It's like Packemon - Gotta catch 'em all!

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I don't see any "problem" with the WR corps whatsoever. They all bring certain talents and qualities that can be taken advantage of on any given play. They all have overlapping foundational talents, too, like blocking and low drop rates.

Having no clear cut, go to receiver is not a "problem" in my mind at all. It's scheme proof from an opponent perspective. Take away short area quickness Reed? Fine, we'll go to Wicks. Take away Doubs on 3rd down? Fine, we'll go Reed or Watson. Press at the line to disrupt the quick passing game? Fine, we'll hit Melton or Watson streaking up the sideline or down the seam. The matchup headaches these guys collectively present are endless.

This WR corps just offers so many options. The fact no one player is relied upon to carry the offense is an advantage, not a problem.

Now, @Yoop, if you wanna talk about individual attributes each brings to the table, that's something else entirely.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Acrobat wrote:
05 Sep 2024 13:09
I don't think the world is prepared for a healthy Christian Watson.

I think all 5 WR's will show some great things, but Watson will be thought of as dominant by the end of the year.
There's the rub. Can the poor guy stay healthy? *knock on wood*

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pugger wrote:
26 Sep 2024 11:44
Acrobat wrote:

I think all 5 WR's will show some great things, but Watson will be thought of as dominant by the end of the year.
I think Watson has been unfairly pigeonholed due to an unfortunate training regime that created an unbalanced muscular condition along with a former training staff that was basically clueless and had no business running a professional athlete level program.

Those things have all been rectified and Watson has been healthy since. I, personally, am no longer terribly concerned with Watson as a health risk or as injury prone.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
26 Sep 2024 06:38
APB wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
A "problem"...?

he did, he said it's interesting, I agree with that assumption, I'd think we all would, it also opens a door for discussion.

Watson for all his speed rarely seems wide open, good with contested catches, love that fight for the ball ability he shows.

all seem to block well, all are young and havn't reached there ceiling yet, a problem in remission

Musgrave may have more athletic ability then Kraft, but he looks slow this season, and looks like he's thinking to much.

:thwap:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
26 Sep 2024 13:42
Yoop wrote:
26 Sep 2024 06:38
APB wrote:

A "problem"...?

:thwap:
haha, I think it's a age thing, us oldies know, that saying it's a interesting problem to have means, it's good, were just not sure how good it is, or what part is the best, just yet, should we order more jo and discuss it further. :rotf:

plus it's 3 games after this thread started, so we've seen a little more now, I imagine this WR thread will be hit again and again as this season progresses.

I still think Reed will have the most touches, right now I think he's my fav, hell if I was a young man like Stick Jockey RE (APB) I'd probably buy a authentic :rotf:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
26 Sep 2024 13:36
Pugger wrote:
26 Sep 2024 11:44
Acrobat wrote:

I think Watson has been unfairly pigeonholed due to an unfortunate training regime that created an unbalanced muscular condition along with a former training staff that was basically clueless and had no business running a professional athlete level program.

Those things have all been rectified and Watson has been healthy since. I, personally, am no longer terribly concerned with Watson as a health risk or as injury prone.
Oh good. I hope you are right. :)

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
26 Sep 2024 09:55
I don't see any "problem" with the WR corps whatsoever. They all bring certain talents and qualities that can be taken advantage of on any given play. They all have overlapping foundational talents, too, like blocking and low drop rates.

Having no clear cut, go to receiver is not a "problem" in my mind at all. It's scheme proof from an opponent perspective. Take away short area quickness Reed? Fine, we'll go to Wicks. Take away Doubs on 3rd down? Fine, we'll go Reed or Watson. Press at the line to disrupt the quick passing game? Fine, we'll hit Melton or Watson streaking up the sideline or down the seam. The matchup headaches these guys collectively present are endless.

This WR corps just offers so many options. The fact no one player is relied upon to carry the offense is an advantage, not a problem.

Now, @Yoop, if you wanna talk about individual attributes each brings to the table, that's something else entirely.
In the context of the Packers offense, "interesting problem" should be self-explanatory....not require further discussion.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
26 Sep 2024 20:57
APB wrote:

In the context of the Packers offense, "interesting problem" should be self-explanatory....not require further discussion.
I suppose I may need to copy/paste some dictionary definitions with you, too… :roll:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

APB wrote:
26 Sep 2024 23:08
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
26 Sep 2024 20:57
APB wrote:

I suppose I may need to copy/paste some dictionary definitions with you, too… :roll:
I think everyone agrees that for success on the field, it doesn't matter who is labeled WR1, as long as they produce as a group. It's only an interesting question in the "if I had to buy one WR jersey, whose would I get" -sense, or for fun thought experiments like "what should our WRs' ratings be in Madden".

One thing I thought about is that all this sharing the load and production will get interesting when the WRs start getting to contract extension time... Luckily we won't have to worry about that just yet, partially because there's no superstar WR1 demanding early extension.