Aaron Jones - prepping to get paid

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Sep 2020 08:50
go pak go wrote:
22 Sep 2020 08:36
So I have a feeling Jones will have a lot more "lower" deal than guys like Kamara etc. Jones just seems to have a good head on his shoulders and not go for the headline attention numbers.

What ultimately matters is you actually stay on the team to earn your paycheck.

Bakh is more important, to me--but also more expensive. King is important, but only if he's signing a less-than-premium deal. I don't think we can afford two premium CB deals and I want to keep Jaire next year. I'm not taking a bold stand toward paying Jones... but looking at the other deals, I think it's far more achievable than I did before looking at the details.
Do you think Bakh's extention would cost more than what he is currently costing our cap?

And Kevin King is a complte unknown. I have no idea what his market is at. I really do think he will outplay his cost this year and be on a different team in 2021.

Unfortunately. Because I really, really like Kevin King.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
22 Sep 2020 08:56
I also think, with Jamaal Williams coming up, as well, the WORST thing we could do is let Jones walk and pay ANYTHING to Williams. You don't pay a guy like that without any special traits, but then again, going into next season with just Dillon also seems irresponsible in an "all-in" mentality type of season with Rodgers as long as he is around.
I mean, if we sign Williams to some sort of $4M a year deal, get a 3rd round comp in 2022 pick for Jones and use a 3rd round pick in 2021 on the most explosive remaining RB, then we have a nice mix of a guy like Williams who can do it all well but not exceptionally, a thunder option in Dillon and a lightning option in the draft pick (of which there are some nice options), I wouldn't call it the WORST thing in the world, but it certainly would lean a lot on a rookie for explosion and probably means we need to retain Ervin again, as well, who will be cheap but not free.

Williams and Ervin at a combined $5 M versus Jones at $8 or 9 million seems like an obvious choice (the latter, Jones). But if we decide we can't keep Jones, then I wouldn't mind having the former be the scenario that plays out.

But generally, I agree with you. I'd rather a Day Three draft pick than a $4M backup RB

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
22 Sep 2020 08:58
Do you think Bakh's extention would cost more than what he is currently costing our cap?

And Kevin King is a complte unknown. I have no idea what his market is at. I really do think he will outplay his cost this year and be on a different team in 2021.

Unfortunately. Because I really, really like Kevin King.
Yes, I do think that about Bakh.

I also don't generally care much about the "cost more than his current cost" when it comes to free agents. That's not really how it works, because we have a ton of other contracts that are increasing/accelerating. If Bakh signs a deal where his cap value in 2021 is the exact same as it is in 2020, it still hits our cap that hard because currently, he's at 0 in 2022 and Rodgers, Clark, and the Smiths are seeing their contracts pop.

But an $18M/year extension for Bakh could still have lower early cap numbers and build in a way that works out just fine. Honestly I think Bakh could get essentially Clark's exact deal and I'd be fine with it.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

BF004 wrote:
22 Sep 2020 08:22
force our hands to move on from Rodgers sooner than later.
Ask Aaron - in a respectful manner - to take a pay cut to hold together more pieces and I think he'll do it. We can still play #12 for 3 seasons and then look what Love does offer, just as it went with Rodgers and Favre between 2006-2009.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Looking at the numbers on that chart, mccafreys deal looked like the only stupid deal to me. May not be stupid for the panthers bc he is there everything, but I wouldn’t want to get near those numbers for Jones.

Good idea though about the Tag for Jones. Tag makes a lot of sense for a player like him if you just want to gurantee he is here for the Rodgers era.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

German_Panzer wrote:
22 Sep 2020 09:07
BF004 wrote:
22 Sep 2020 08:22
force our hands to move on from Rodgers sooner than later.
Ask Aaron - in a respectful manner - to take a pay cut to hold together more pieces and I think he'll do it. We can still play #12 for 3 seasons and then look what Love does offer, just as it went with Rodgers and Favre between 2006-2009.
In what world do you think Rodgers would take a pay cut when we just clearly sent him a message he’s on his way out?
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I think he would gladly convert base salary into signing bonus, but yeah, he isn't going to take less money.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
22 Sep 2020 10:04
I think he would gladly convert base salary into signing bonus, but yeah, he isn't going to take less money.
:lol:

I mean we already did that last offseason by $11 million. I Don't think we can do much more.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
22 Sep 2020 10:06
BF004 wrote:
22 Sep 2020 10:04
:lol:

I mean we already did that last offseason by $11 million. I Don't think we can do much more.
Yeah, I don't wanna mess with Rodgers' contract. We're LOCKED IN for this year and next year, for cap purposes. I think the flexibility beyond that.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Interesting video. Shows some great stuff on Jones but also does a great job of how MLF designs plays to make offense easy.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Trade Preston. Honestly, signing him with Za'Darius was overkill. I wonder if we can also offload Billy Turner...
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
22 Sep 2020 11:20
Trade Preston. Honestly, signing him with Za'Darius was overkill. I wonder if we can also offload Billy Turner...
I agree Preston will probably not be a packer next year...i dont know who would want turner at his contract rate. I mean im pretty sure we bid against ourselves when we overpaid. Amos said himself with his deal that he came to GB without thinking twice about it because our offer was much higher than others he fielded.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Sep 2020 12:22
I agree Preston will probably not be a packer next year...i dont know who would want turner at his contract rate. I mean im pretty sure we bid against ourselves when we overpaid. Amos said himself with his deal that he came to GB without thinking twice about it because our offer was much higher than others he fielded.
I doubt we're in a hurry to shed decent players. There's a lot of season left and I think we'll need both of those guys to really step up throughout the year

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Oh, I wouldn't get rid of either of them now, 'just spitballing some options to make cap room (later)...
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Sep 2020 12:33
Drj820 wrote:
22 Sep 2020 12:22
I doubt we're in a hurry to shed decent players. There's a lot of season left and I think we'll need both of those guys to really step up throughout the year
for sure i was hypothesizing about cap space and moves going into 2021

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I guess what I meant was if we get big contributions from those two guys down the stretch, which we'll need, I don't think we'll be looking to offload them while still in the Rodgers window.

I think the far more likely approach is to stretch cap space into 22 and 23 and 24 through restructures, banking on an expanding cap and a future without Rodgers' QB number to bridge the gap into a different era, rather than cut viable players. Gutey does have a bigger tolerance for dead money than TT did, but I lean toward avoiding it at almost all costs. It's so rare that the replacement player's salary + the dead money you're carrying to replace them are worth the play on the field. You have to have a true liability, like Graham, at a high price to eat dead money in my book.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

If we had invested edge and had some legit potential there, I could possibly see moving on from Preston. But you really do need that quality 3rd option; even if Gary does fully surpass him this year.

I wouldn’t be opposed to taking another edge in round 1 next year and ride with 4 good options Then maybe can move from Preston his 4th year unless he ups his play some.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
22 Sep 2020 13:11
If we had invested edge and had some legit potential there, I could possibly see moving on from Preston. But you really do need that quality 3rd option; even if Gary does fully surpass him this year.

I wouldn’t be opposed to taking another edge in round 1 next year and ride with 4 good options Then maybe can move from Preston his 4th year unless he ups his play some.
Wow, sick burn on Jonathan Garvin 8-)

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Sep 2020 13:02
Gutey does have a bigger tolerance for dead money than TT did, but I lean toward avoiding it at almost all costs.
yeah, the Packers have done really well over the years on dead space-
and even with Gute having a bigger tolerance, GB still comes in at 29th in the league for 2020 dead cap
That will change next year, but the fiscal responsibility has been a foundation for sustained success in Titletown

Packers have about $4.6 M in Dead Space, the two teams we just demolished have more than $21M each

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/
IT. IS. TIME

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

lupedafiasco wrote:
22 Sep 2020 09:40
In what world do you think Rodgers would take a pay cut when we just clearly sent him a message he’s on his way out?
Rodgers knows the business. He was on the other end of it when he got drafted in 2005 and it was Favre who "got the message". He knows GB had to think about its future. Rodgers also knows that he won't win a lot more with his heavy contract that not only prevents GB from gettin or securing key players but also will make GB think earlier about departing ways with him. So I'd deal with him like this: I'd offer Rodgers 3 more seasons (including this season already) as an unconditional starter plus another 3 seasons if he's still within top 10, dumping Love then; his part would be to disclaim 2/3 of his income. If Rodgers doesn't care too much about money, but more about his legacy, he might find such an offer interesting, otherwise business as usual.