Green Bay Packers @ New Orleans Saints GDT - 9/27 - 7:20 CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who you got?

Packers put up 40+ again
35%
Brees can't throw 40+ anymore
32%
MVS with two catches of 40+ yards
11%
We hold Kamara to under 40+ yards
No votes
Rodgers is still our QB at 40+ years old
22%

Total votes: 37

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Sep 2020 19:50
I am still dumbfounded why we never changed the gameplan the entire game to stop Kamara. There were some good things in that game, defensively. Summers looked good. Burks finally looked like he might be able to play. Keke stepped up. Alexander was a man. It was just kind of like PTSD and watching Kamara kill us like the 49ers running game did, and we didn't adjust.
While I wouldn't make this argument vociferously, I could see an argument to be made that the scheme was working, but the tackles were costing us. So the answer was to miss fewer tackles, not to adjust the scheme.

Like I said, I'd try to recognize a weakness and address it, but I wouldn't shout you out of a room for bringing this point up.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Good point @YoHoChecko completely agree. People have left due to the exact scenario we just saw above, would love to see it nipped in the bud permanently.

me too, it's impossible to have a conversation when someone attacks practically every comment made, being called a liar obviously is intended to get a heated response.
go back and read a couple pages, I didn't start this, yet look at the attacks over a simple mis quote, which meant NOTHING, yet it affects everyone here, people quit posting, yet I get the blame, WOW

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Sep 2020 19:54
Pckfn23 wrote:
I am still dumbfounded why we never changed the gameplan the entire game to stop Kamara. There were some good things in that game, defensively. Summers looked good. Burks finally looked like he might be able to play. Keke stepped up. Alexander was a man. It was just kind of like PTSD and watching Kamara kill us like the 49ers running game did, and we didn't adjust.
While I wouldn't make this argument vociferously, I could see an argument to be made that the scheme was working, but the tackles were costing us. So the answer was to miss fewer tackles, not to adjust the scheme.

Like I said, I'd try to recognize a weakness and address it, but I wouldn't shout you out of a room for bringing this point up.
I get that the tackling killed us, but MAN help your guys out. Tackling Kamara one on one in the open field is tough for ANY defender. That one long TD swing pass was ridiculously bad tackling, however.

It's like putting Dante Hall in space with 1 defender to beat, then your defender loses, and throwing up your hands to say, "WELL! You should have tackled him..." Make it easier for your guys!
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 29 Sep 2020 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I was definitely calling for Savage, Amos, or even Jaire to pretty much just man up on Kamara the rest of the game. I even would have been fine doing that frequently at the expense of only rushing 3. Trust your dogs to get enough pressure or your 7 man coverage unit to cover their garbage WR's.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Sep 2020 21:43
I very much expect a public apology for this falsehood.
I'm genuinely sorry
Remember: There are no ordinary moments, don't waste another one on this stuff

The Green Bay Packers went on the road and beat the Saints in New Orleans, that's a rather monumental accomplishment both in terms of the past, but even more so in terms of the future. They mentioned it on the broadcast, but its a fair guess the Saints will be in the running for a playoff spot - and beating them helps by giving them a conference loss and simultaneously giving the Packers a conference win

Last year, the conference W/L record was the difference between the Packers winning the # 2 seed and the Saints getting the coveted bye.
That was a super HUGE win on Sunday.
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I would say it was too, absolutely! Games you need to win:

#1 - Win your division games - Lefleur has that one under control right now
#2 - Win conference games against quality opponents - For the most part, we know these, but there are times, early in the season, we don't. A team that looks weak early on and beating them doesn't look very quality, becomes a contender later in the season. On the flip side, what looks like a quality win early on, might turn into a run of the mill conference win if the team starts flopping. Saints could end up at 7-9 and this win was but a general conference win. It's early.
#3 - Win conference games
#4 - Win non-conference games

Great win. Superb win. On the road against a prior year's playoff team is usually tough. A win that goes a long way in getting us to 4-0...

I didn't consider it a must win before the game and don't consider it that now that we have won. It definitely helps for tie breaking purposes.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 29 Sep 2020 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

BSA wrote:
29 Sep 2020 21:56
The Green Bay Packers went on the road and beat the Saints in New Orleans, that's a rather monumental accomplishment both in terms of the past, but even more so in terms of the future.
Insert people and NO becomes a different place. As far as I concerned every game is on neutral ground. It makes no sense anymore to treat road wins more special. In fact we benefit from this because of Rodgers' count and gettin them offside. That's a lot more difficult on the road in a full stadium.

p.s. Of course it may count for the standings and seedings and all this. That's another issue but it really doesn't matter this season who gets #1 and who #6 as long as they play in empty stadiums.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

bobsacamano wrote:
28 Sep 2020 10:19
Rodgers also missed MVS on like 2-3 throws.
I saw Rodgers miss a receiver by a long way 3 times in the game, and all 3 were aimed for MVS. Which leads me to believe that MVS might have been in the wrong place. Or perhaps that he and Rodgers read the same defence and get entirely different answers.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Just four of Turner’s 43 career starts for three teams had come at RT. Matt LaFleur helped Turner with chip blocks on some passes that required extra time. Other than getting stuffed by Jordan on a first-series run, he pitched a shutout.
McGinn on Turner.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

dsr wrote:
30 Sep 2020 08:45
bobsacamano wrote:
I saw Rodgers miss a receiver by a long way 3 times in the game, and all 3 were aimed for MVS. Which leads me to believe that MVS might have been in the wrong place. Or perhaps that he and Rodgers read the same defence and get entirely different answers.
Yeah, said that to a buddy. Rodgers did not seem thrilled after each one of them too. Seemed like MVS was the only WR that Rodgers missed badly over and over.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
30 Sep 2020 09:11
dsr wrote:
bobsacamano wrote:
Yeah, said that to a buddy. Rodgers did not seem thrilled after each one of them too. Seemed like MVS was the only WR that Rodgers missed badly over and over.
Kind of been a theme too. Not sure what is going on there. On one hand I can see that Rodgers is just missing him as he continues to get snaps. On the other hand I can see him running poor routes and that is why Rodgers is missing him. As always, probably a combination of both.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Sep 2020 20:03
YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Sep 2020 19:54
Pckfn23 wrote:

I get that the tackling killed us, but MAN help your guys out. Tackling Kamara one on one in the open field is tough for ANY defender. That one long TD swing pass was ridiculously bad tackling, however.

It's like putting Dante Hall in space with 1 defender to beat, then your defender loses, and throwing up your hands to say, "WELL! You should have tackled him..." Make it easier for your guys!
I agree.

I find it a little funny how we gush over MLF and his scheme and designs and say now that the offense clearly was lacking schematic creativity and it was coaching etc. because the talent is literally the same for 3 years. So we are attributing a large variable to coaching, knowing the scheme and being more immersed in the MLF scheme. Obviously the players are playing better too due to comfortability.

But if we recognize the importance of coaching, scheme and making things easy on your players on the offense, we should also acknowledge that the defense can do the same things.

The 2020 defense is miles ahead in terms of talent compared to the 2018 defense.

And yet I felt like our 2018 defense was more effective, creative and overall more fun to watch than this unit. Particularly on the schematic side. I mean Pettine could design blitzes to make Fackrell a 10 sack guy. Pettine set up blitzes to get any rando honestly a shot at the QB. That just isn't happening right now.

It's still early. We have had 3 games and really a 5 drive stretch from Q4 wk 1 to Q1 wk 2 put a really bad taste in our mouth. Add that to 3 bonehead plays with NO's and this defense looks a ton different. Yet I feel that can also be said for a lot of defenses in the league.

Overall...it's just frustrating because we knew SF in the NFCCG would want to run the ball. We do nothing and give up an historic performance. Going into NO's, we knew they would rely on Kamara. Once again we do nothing really outside of putting our worst defender on him and he nearly beats us on his legs alone.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

When Lazard went deep Rodgers threw it maybe a yard longer a WR would prefer it be, and Lazard even tripped a hair...then recovered, tracked the ball, and made the catch...all I could think about was how after the slight trip or misstep, MVS would have never recovered. He would have fallen down violently and the pass would have been incomplete. That was a catch that required NFL WR level skills to execute, props to Lazard for getting it done.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Packfntk wrote:
dsr wrote:
bobsacamano wrote:
If anything can be called a mistake by the team/player, MVS was running too close to the sidelines on two of those passes.
Rodgers would have had to drop a perfect pass for MVS to catch. If he runs that same route 5 yards more inside the field, Rodgers can lead him to the sidelines.
Just my opinion.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Christo wrote:
30 Sep 2020 11:40
Packfntk wrote:
dsr wrote:

If anything can be called a mistake by the team/player, MVS was running too close to the sidelines on two of those passes.
Rodgers would have had to drop a perfect pass for MVS to catch. If he runs that same route 5 yards more inside the field, Rodgers can lead him to the sidelines.
Just my opinion.
That is a great point. Very limited places for ARod to place the ball where he was on a couple of them for sure.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Christo wrote:
Just my opinion.
Good call and that was one of the criticisms of MVS last year- he was too easily pushed off his routes. There was some talk that it was the result of his leg injury, but he's fully healed now. If its still happening then that's an opportunity for more coaching from Getsy/Vrable
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Look, MVS is not a #1 WR. When he was treated ike a #1 WR--with extra attention paid and coverage rolled his way for safety help and such, he couldn't produce. But he maintained the role of keeping Lazard in favorable situations, and the team was mature enough to take what was there and not try to force MVS' involvement much.

That's noteworthy moving forward, but it is going to be a rare occurrence that he is the top guy on the field.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

I must admit that I'm following football much more casually than I have in years past but wow was this an encouraging win. Obviously it has been said plenty of times already but I'd become so acclimated to us getting our ass kicked in New Orleans primetime games. Seems we handled them relatively easily this time around.

How much of that can be attributed to lack of a crowd? Quite a bit, probably.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
30 Sep 2020 12:20
Christo wrote:
Just my opinion.
Good call and that was one of the criticisms of MVS last year- he was too easily pushed off his routes. There was some talk that it was the result of his leg injury, but he's fully healed now. If its still happening then that's an opportunity for more coaching from Getsy/Vrable
So here is one of the plays broken down by Dusty. Gives me more appreciation for what Rodgers saw and also hard to blame MVS on this route as it was just a great defensive design.

This was the overthrow to MVS on 3rd down in the 2nd quarter. Video of the play is roughly Minute 2:00 to 5:00.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
03 Oct 2020 09:07
So here is one of the plays broken down by Dusty. Gives me more appreciation for what Rodgers saw and also hard to blame MVS on this route as it was just a great defensive design.
It's what Aaron Rodgers does better than absolutely anyone else. Don't take the bait. Very nice concept by the Saints. Will have to save that for a second-rate QB, though.

Read More. Post Less.