General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Nice breakdown from smart guys on Twitter.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

This is why I am not worried about next year.

I mean every team then will have to do this. So really all you are doing is just putting a ton of good 2nd contract year players who signed deals in 2019/2018 on unemployment.

It also means any player drafted in 2017 is absolutely screwed for the exception of those players who signed a contract since January.

It's not good for the league and it's not good for the players. They aren't just going to drop the cap that much and force teams to mass purge their roster.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
07 Oct 2020 14:57
Preston Smith would make sense as a trade candidate honestly. He has played poorly the first 4 games but he had great film to show in 2019.

He is a great financial contract for whoever trades for him because we are eating the cap on it so we could get pretty good compensation for Preston Smith. Especially if he plays well these last 12 games.

Honestly our pass rusher move could really work out as long as they all play well. Hopefully they bring more production after the bye.
I cant see a team in the league that would be willing to trade for that contract. We would probably have to give up a pick to get someone to take that. Hes turning 28 next month. Theres no upside and hes not a premium player. Teams would rather take a 6th round pass rusher who could be good on a rookie deal than a proven player probably about to regress physically.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Oct 2020 17:21
go pak go wrote:
07 Oct 2020 14:57
Preston Smith would make sense as a trade candidate honestly. He has played poorly the first 4 games but he had great film to show in 2019.

He is a great financial contract for whoever trades for him because we are eating the cap on it so we could get pretty good compensation for Preston Smith. Especially if he plays well these last 12 games.

Honestly our pass rusher move could really work out as long as they all play well. Hopefully they bring more production after the bye.
I cant see a team in the league that would be willing to trade for that contract. We would probably have to give up a pick to get someone to take that. Hes turning 28 next month. Theres no upside and hes not a premium player. Teams would rather take a 6th round pass rusher who could be good on a rookie deal than a proven player probably about to regress physically.
It's $12 million and $12.5 million for 2020 and 2021. Last year he was easily a top 10 pass rusher. If he produces these last 12 games with Clark back in the game that is a steal.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
07 Oct 2020 17:27
Last year he was easily a top 10 pass rusher.
I don't have pressure numbers, but on the sack side - he was just 1/2 sack below TJ Watt and above Frank Clark and Nick Bosa.
That's good company

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player ... son_id=17
IT. IS. TIME

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

I have to take issue with the idea of cutting or releasing players only into the third year of they're contract. Other players around the league see that kind of treatment and begin to look at a place like Green Bay as an organization that won't live up to an agreement. Pretty soon nobody will want to come here.
To say Smith and Amos are easily replaceable is crazy talk. Like others have said, pretty much every other team in the league are going to be in the same boat. Time to get creative and work on extensions/restructuring. If teams like Kansas City can do it, so can the Packers.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Christo wrote:
08 Oct 2020 11:00
I have to take issue with the idea of cutting or releasing players only into the third year of they're contract. Other players around the league see that kind of treatment and begin to look at a place like Green Bay as an organization that won't live up to an agreement. Pretty soon nobody will want to come here.
To say Smith and Amos are easily replaceable is crazy talk. Like others have said, pretty much every other team in the league are going to be in the same boat. Time to get creative and work on extensions/restructuring. If teams like Kansas City can do it, so can the Packers.

I completely agree with you on almost all fronts. Amos May ñot be outplaying his contract, but is doing what we brought him in to do, stabilize a position that was a mess for us.

I also agree that we can get creative and do what plenty of other teams do.

I would just say that if we move on from Preston Smith in year 3, I don’t think it would be because we just want to screw him over for cap purposes. I don’t think he is currently living up to his contract..and that’s why we could justifiably move on.

Finally, I will say in Prestons defense that he gets less chances to rush the passer bc we put him in coverage a fair amount...and he does a decent job at it.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Oct 2020 11:54
Christo wrote:
08 Oct 2020 11:00

I completely agree with you on almost all fronts. Amos May ñot be outplaying his contract, but is doing what we brought him in to do, stabilize a position that was a mess for us.

I also agree that we can get creative and do what plenty of other teams do.

I would just say that if we move on from Preston Smith in year 3, I don’t think it would be because we just want to screw him over for cap purposes. I don’t think he is currently living up to his contract..and that’s why we could justifiably move on.

Finally, I will say in Prestons defense that he gets less chances to rush the passer bc we put him in coverage a fair amount...and he does a decent job at it.
Another thing being forgotten is the play of Rashan Gary. I have to be honest, I was not a big fan of his selection. But with him playing like he has, the pressure from Preston has been taken up by Gary.
Not sure if Smith is living up to his deal or not, buy the coaches are asking him to do more coverage than last year.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Preston Smith:

Snaps - 223
Hurries - 2
QB Hits - 0
Sacks - 0.5
Total Combined - 3

Combined Pressure every 74 snaps

Total combined Tackles - 8

Combined Tackle every 28 snaps

Rashan Gary:

Snaps - 83
Hurries - 1
QB Hits - 2
Sacks - 1.5
Total Combined - 5

Combined Pressure every 16 snaps

Total combined Tackles - 7

Combined Tackle every 12 snaps

*In addition, Gary helped force the turnover (INTs) vs Minnesota and Detroit.
Yoop wrote:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I think Preston can still change this idea of him being the disposable guy. His last season was very, very good. Statwise his this season hasn't been good, but no one has complained about him missing setting the edge on running plays. He needs to provide pressure to stick, but he still has a chance of doing that.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

salmar80 wrote:
08 Oct 2020 14:24
I think Preston can still change this idea of him being the disposable guy. His last season was very, very good. Statwise his this season hasn't been good, but no one has complained about him missing setting the edge on running plays. He needs to provide pressure to stick, but he still has a chance of doing that.
Financially is just doesn’t make sense to keep him. We save 8mil this upcoming season and eat 8mil which is unfortunate but we save a massive 16.5 mil in 2022 by cutting him after this offseason.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Oct 2020 14:53
salmar80 wrote:
08 Oct 2020 14:24
Financially is just doesn’t make sense to keep him. We save 8mil this upcoming season and eat 8mil which is unfortunate but we save a massive 16.5 mil in 2022 by cutting him after this offseason.
It does make sense if produces even 75% to the level these last 12 games as he did a year ago.

2020 has not been good to Preston Smith. He has been invisible so he does look expensive. But 2019 was very friendly to Preston Smith. He was easily a top 10 pass rusher and he had more impact as a pass rusher on key 3rd and 4th downs than anyone I have ever watched in a Packers uniform.

Gary will likely surpass him because Gary could potentially be that awesome generational-type talent. But it is far too early to say cut Smith to save $8 million. $8 million is very cheap if he is still an effective edge rusher. And for as much as fans b*tch about lack of depth, we certainly seem to love to get rid of players for 50 cents on the dollar whenever we see a glimmer of depth.

The cap will work itself out. The NFL and and NFLPA both have a very heavy interest to not just purge 15% to 20% of a roster. That makes no sense. Something else will get agreed to.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL and NFLPA even agree to a 10% blanket compensation/cap reduction on all players in 2021 to take care of a reduced cap. Honestly that is the easiest, fairest and wisest path forward.
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

a couple of cut ups on my man Raven Greene from Ben Fennell
He really makes the defense better

IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I love how the Arrow says, LOOK AT RAVEN GREENE!!!!

And all I see is Krys Barnes doing a Desmond Bishop imitation and blowing through the Line and RB to get a pressure on the QB and walk into the Raven Greene sack.

Krys Barnes is really, really good folks.
Yoop wrote:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I doubt Amos is going anywhere.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

go pak go wrote:
08 Oct 2020 13:19
Preston Smith:

Snaps - 223
Hurries - 2
QB Hits - 0
Sacks - 0.5
Total Combined - 3

Combined Pressure every 74 snaps

Total combined Tackles - 8

Combined Tackle every 28 snaps

Rashan Gary:

Snaps - 83
Hurries - 1
QB Hits - 2
Sacks - 1.5
Total Combined - 5

Combined Pressure every 16 snaps

Total combined Tackles - 7

Combined Tackle every 12 snaps

*In addition, Gary helped force the turnover (INTs) vs Minnesota and Detroit.
You need to factor in coverage snaps for which Preston had 38 through 3 games, can’t find a source for the 4 th or Gary’s coverage snaps.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Preston would be a hard cut based off last year, but if his production remains the same over the next 12 games + playoffs, then I don’t think it’s a hard decision.

I am not expecting his play to remain irrelevant, but if it does, it would be foolish to keep him at the expense of maybe letting someone walk like King or Linsley with that 8 million.

But lot of football left.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

And speaking of Tonyan, with Mike Evans catching a TD, Tonyan no longer in a league lead for TD catches.