General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Apr 2020 13:23
Yikes, I follow Peter Bukowski on Twitter and am realizing he doesn't know a lot about the game of Football.
He has his areas where he is pretty dialed in. And others, not so much.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
02 Apr 2020 13:27
Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Apr 2020 13:23
Yikes, I follow Peter Bukowski on Twitter and am realizing he doesn't know a lot about the game of Football.
He has his areas where he is pretty dialed in. And others, not so much.
Definitely not an Xs and Os guy.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

In former Packers news, Damarious Randall signs a 1-year deal with the Raiders, after their agreement with Eli Apple fell through for unknown reasons.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
06 Apr 2020 21:32
Quarters in today’s FA.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Apr 2020 06:30
Quarters in today’s FA.
That's FB and K money.

Read More. Post Less.

Oldschool
Reactions:

Post by Oldschool »

BF004 wrote:
06 Apr 2020 21:32
Good Lord. 27 years. Obviously a phenomenal moment in Packer history. The beginning of a quarter century of great things.

Fixed it.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

image.png
image.png (398.53 KiB) Viewed 709 times
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Yoop wrote:
01 Apr 2020 09:31
Scott4Pack wrote:
01 Apr 2020 09:06
Yoop wrote:
31 Mar 2020 09:21

asked to do to much????? to me he was asked to do to little, I could train a german shepard to stand pat in the center of the hashes and attack anyone that went past the los with a ball in there hand :rotf: well maybe I couldn't train one with my advancing years and declining patience but maybe you could :lol:

Haha said it best after he left, which was something to the affect he was asked to play like a robot, I think once you start stripping away at a players instincts thats the result you end up with, it's a form of tentivness that just naturally sets in, imho thats what we seen with a few players, and Martinez was one of em.

lots of teams lack a quality ILB2 and use a hybrid safety instead, it's either that or watch as QB's pick your under belly apart.
I don't mean to chip away at your point, but do you really think that HaHa is being totally honest about his appraisal of Pettine? I don't. HaHa is a likable guy and all. But he has shown ZERO for instincts in his career. So, he didn't get the opportunities that he wanted. And we're going to think that he's fairly assessing the situation?

I don't think so. Sorry.
:-)
who knows, I think the last two years with Dix it could have some truth to it, our situation at CB was so bad a single high safety can't gamble, when both boundry positions are weak he has to sit in center field and wait to see which receiver has the upper hand, so I expect that is what he meant.

go back if you can and watch Dix his first two seasons, he was flying around and always in the picture, either making a tackle or there at the end of the play, and it was the same with Martinez his first two seasons.

I think a lot of players sorta quit on Capers, or not so much Capers, but over all decline of ability and talent which makes it hard to play your best, it was just more obvious with Dix.
HaHa was very much a more willing body early. There's no doubt about that. But he did start to play off, as in loaf, the last year or two. That's why there's a bad taste in the mouth about him now. He could've been a Packer legend.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I was updating my spreadsheet of Packers OLine measurables.

I gotta say, woof, we really lowered the athletic bar when we signed Rick Wagner; Turner a little bit (though not as bad as Lane Taylor, so an athletic upgrade).

When looking at Billy Turner, Cole Madison, Rick Wagner, and even Elgton Jenkins to an extent, I'm thinking Gutey has deviated more from the old athletic standards than we may have noticed initially. Seems like it had been pretty effective at getting good OLine value, so a little disappointed to see that.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://www.packers.com/news/five-thing ... conference
Gutekunst looked to bring in tried-and-true veterans with ample NFL experience to replenish the Packers' roster following the departure of seven unrestricted free agents this offseason.

The Packers checked three significant boxes in signing linebacker Christian Kirksey, tackle Rick Wagner and receiver Devin Funchess, moves that helped offset the loss of veterans Blake Martinez, Bryan Bulaga and Geronimo Allison.

Kirksey, Wagner and Funchess have started 182 of the 237 career regular-season games they've played, which could be valuable with uncertainty surrounding NFL offseason programs due to the current COVID-19 pandemic.

It's entirely possible the Packers still could use any of their 10 selections in this weekend's NFL Draft to further address those three positions, but the acquisitions give Gutekunst and his front office flexibility depending on how their board falls.

"I really like the experience factor with all those guys," Gutekunst said. "They've played a lot of football, they've started a lot of games. They've been in the fire and that makes you feel pretty good. At the same time…we'll be pretty aggressive in trying to improve our football team throughout."

Since Wagner and Kirksey were released by their previous teams before the start of the league year, both were allowed to visit Green Bay and take physicals before nationwide stay-at-home orders took effect last month.

For that same reason, neither veteran counts towards next year's net-loss compensatory formula. OverTheCap.com currently projects Green Bay will receive a fourth-, fifth- and sixth-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft for losing Martinez, Bulaga and linebacker Kyler Fackrell, respectively.

At the same time, Gutekunst said the Packers are still arranging the rest of Funchess' physical. The 25-year-old receiver missed only three games during his first four NFL seasons before a broken collarbone suffered in Indianapolis' opener last season landed him on injured reserve.

Per league rules, NFL clubs must either wait until stay-at-home orders have been lifted to conduct on-site physicals or find a mutually agreed upon physician in a player's home city or a nearby location to handle it.

"There's still a portion of it that he'll have to kind of get through, once hopefully this clears up or we're able find another way to do it," Gutekunst said.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

The Packers claim a couple of ex-Dolphins.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
21 Apr 2020 15:52
The Packers claim a couple of ex-Dolphins.

Anyone heard of these guys? Can't imagine "not good enough for the Dolphins" equates to a lot more than camp bodies, but if the DT can help against the run, welcome to the team! haha

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packers claimed two players on waivers from Miami today: defensive tackle Gerald Willis and edge rusher Jamal Davis. Both players went undrafted in 2019 and spent a brief period on NFL practice squads before ending up on the Dolphins’ active roster late in the season.

Davis profiles as a lean but athletic pass-rusher with good movement skills. A defensive end at the University of Akron, he posted 5.5 sacks, 16 tackles for loss, and an interception as a senior. At the 2019 Combine, Davis performed well, posting a 4.60-second 40-yard dash, a seven-second-flat 3-cone drill, and jumps of 39 inches (vertical) and 122 inches (broad). All of those numbers were above the 80th percentile for edge rushers (per Mockdraftable) and gave him an overall RAS of 9.47. After bouncing around to three AFC South teams from May through December, Miami signed him off the Titans’ practice squad and he played in three games late in the season, seeing only a handful of snaps as a deep backup.

Willis, who is the younger brother of Washington safety Landon Collins, started his college career at Florida but was dismissed from the team early on. He moved on to Miami, where he played out the remainder of his college career, though he took the 2017 season off to “refocus himself.” However, a strong senior season in 2018 saw him earn second-team All-America honors from Sports Illustrated with 18 tackles for loss — most among FBS defensive tackles — and four sacks.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2020 ... per-report

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Apr 2020 15:55
Anyone heard of these guys?
From the old site:
NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
NCF wrote:Going back to the EDGE guys, how come no one is talking about my man Jamal Davis from Akron?
Who?

Make your case, maybe we'll talk about him :)
I had him in my mock. Just an athletic EDGE guy that seems to have experience playing forwards and backwards which is always valuable.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jamal-dav ... 91c534340d

https://gozips.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1558

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Gerald Willis sounds like an interesting piece. The other sounds just like a guy.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
21 Apr 2020 16:04
Gerald Willis sounds like an interesting piece. The other sounds just like a guy.
Was thinking the exact opposite. :lol:

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Oh sweet, thanks. I'm relatively certain I liked Willis now that I read that. I bet I had him in a couple mocks, myself.

Cool to have an athletic developmental EDGE body to compete with that UDFA from Baylor who spent the year on IR to fill out the depth chart.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.