General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
28 Oct 2020 12:25
So he would cost us like $5 million if we traded for him and he is a FA after the season.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
28 Oct 2020 13:18
So he would cost us like $5 million if we traded for him and he is a FA after the season.
Yep, between $5-6M.

Read More. Post Less.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

go pak go wrote:
I think the MVS leap isn't happening soon enough and EQ is still trying to get in sync with Rodgers- hence the interest in Fuller.
Texans need picks, I'm guessing a 4th would be enough based on his contract expiring

You could also extend his deal and get him for 2021 too. Given the potential COVID drop in cap, 2021 isn't a great year to be a FA.
IT. IS. TIME

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

BSA wrote:
28 Oct 2020 14:11
go pak go wrote:
I think the MVS leap isn't happening soon enough and EQ is still trying to get in sync with Rodgers- hence the interest in Fuller.
Texans need picks, I'm guessing a 4th would be enough based on his contract expiring

You could also extend his deal and get him for 2021 too. Given the potential COVID drop in cap, 2021 isn't a great year to be a FA.
Yeah, if it's true the Pack is looking to make a deal for someone like Fuller, it's has to be for something long term.
And while it's expected the cap is going down next year, I'm going out on a limb here and say it's not going to be as drastic as predicted.
Too many big market teams have little or no room to make moves next year.
The powers that be, don't want they're hands tied when it comes to they're toys. No doubt it's going to take a hit, but some teams are in such a bind that cutting $20 or so million from the cap will cripple them for years.
Someone here mentioned the Rams are projected to be $18 million over for next year. Do you really think that after all the time and money getting a team back to LA, building a new stadium that costs 3 or 4 BILLION that the league is going to chop them off at the ankles.

And lets not forget the Cowboys/Jerry Jones. TV and all of the media/NFL have so much invested in the saga that is the Dallas Cowboys, to cut they're spending would be a crime in they're opinion.

Or lets take a team like the Chiefs. They are on such a tight line when it comes to the cap, any big cut kills them.
The league want's Patrick Holmes on the big stage as much as possible. They want him to play with the fast receivers to make the splash plays and get on sports center to show off the new face of the NFL.

Some kind of compromise is going to be worked out so the drawdown of the cap won't be harsh.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

So really good news on the injury front.

Aaron Jones may be another week but hopefully he is a go for SF. I wouldn't mind holding him out to ensure that happens.

Kevin King though....he did re-aggravate his injury after practicing last week and thus he could be out a while. The fact he isn't back yet makes me think he is at risk for missing our next two games.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Times like these I wish the old forum was still up so I could read my Will Fuller notes.

He was my favorite WR in the 16 class, a class that I did not care for at all.

Given this would be a straight MVS upgrade and then some, I wonder if Houston would be interested on a flyer on MVS.

I mean he can still stretch it deep and was good enough he supposedly drew primary attention from Saints. Very high end ceiling yet, still a year and a half of cheap control.

I would be very excited, I think Fuller is a very underrated WR.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

I'm kinda tired of baseless rumor's from goofs who work for sports networks trying to get clicks for they're websites.
Remember last year it was Corey Davis because LaFleur coached him in Tennessee.
Now it's Fuller because of his connection from Notre Dame.
Maybe we'll go all the way down to the Pop Warner league by the end of the week.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Dallas media talking about us trading for Amari Cooper. Idk why. Seems like the media sure wants us to trade for a WR though.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Christo wrote:
28 Oct 2020 17:17
I'm kinda tired of baseless rumor's from goofs who work for sports networks trying to get clicks for they're websites.
Maybe we'll go all the way down to the Pop Warner league by the end of the week.
The only thing past connections adds is first-hand knowledge of the character, smarts and work ethic of the player - and that can certainly have an effect when you consider adding a guy mid-season. Play on the field you can analyze based on tape.

The Cowboys just cut Dontari Poe, and Jerry blasted him for being 30 pounds overweight and not doing anything about it. Now, a coach who has coached Poe before may have a better idea whether Poe is unmotivated due to bad character or bad circumstances (Dallas isn't really the most supportive team for a kneeling player). If the coach already has good rapport with the player, maybe he can get that guy motivated and playing well on the cheap.

But I do agree the media often chases ghosts when looking for these past connections.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

texas wrote:
29 Oct 2020 05:01
Dallas media talking about us trading for Amari Cooper. Idk why. Seems like the media sure wants us to trade for a WR though.
Colin Cowturd was raving about that move today. Sounds just like a hypothetical they all think makes sense.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Oct 2020 06:22
texas wrote:
29 Oct 2020 05:01
Colin Cowturd was raving about that move today. Sounds just like a hypothetical they all think makes sense.
$5 million for the rest of 2020.

$20 million per year for 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024.

Oh yeah. That makes a ton of sense for us.
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Lazard will be back in a week or 3, if not this week. There is absolutely no reason to trade for a WR who is not better than Lazard. Remember, a big part of Lazard's job is to block for both the running game and other receivers. Bringing in a WR who can't or won't block because he is a marginally better receiver is still a net minus. The Packers should be playing a 2-TE offense most of the time and do not need 3 starting WR's.

But Watt is clearaly better than any Dlineman we have not named Clark. He is a major upgrade over Lowry, Lancaster, Adams or Keke. Assuming that the Packers can't afford 2 trades, they should take Watt over anyone else every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Make it happen, Gute.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
28 Oct 2020 15:09

Aaron Jones may be another week but hopefully he is a go for SF. I wouldn't mind holding him out to ensure that happens.

Kevin King though....he did re-aggravate his injury after practicing last week and thus he could be out a while. The fact he isn't back yet makes me think he is at risk for missing our next two games.
Is it just me or does King appear to be rather fragile? I should look up how many games he has missed since we drafted him...

Just looked. He has missed 37 games in 3 and half seasons.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheSkeptic wrote:
29 Oct 2020 07:17
Lazard will be back in a week or 3, if not this week. There is absolutely no reason to trade for a WR who is not better than Lazard. Remember, a big part of Lazard's job is to block for both the running game and other receivers. Bringing in a WR who can't or won't block because he is a marginally better receiver is still a net minus. The Packers should be playing a 2-TE offense most of the time and do not need 3 starting WR's.

But Watt is clearaly better than any Dlineman we have not named Clark. He is a major upgrade over Lowry, Lancaster, Adams or Keke. Assuming that the Packers can't afford 2 trades, they should take Watt over anyone else every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Make it happen, Gute.
Watt may be better than anyone outside of Clark but does it make financial sense to make a move like this? :idn:

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Pugger wrote:
29 Oct 2020 09:08
go pak go wrote:

Is it just me or does King appear to be rather fragile? I should look up how many games he has missed since we drafted him...

That has been his biggest fault. No doubt when he's healthy and at full speed, he's a solid CB. Whoever signs him next season is getting a big question mark.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Pugger wrote:
Is it just me or does King appear to be rather fragile?
You are somewhat late to this conclusion. :P
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

salmar80 wrote:
29 Oct 2020 05:29
Christo wrote:
28 Oct 2020 17:17
The only thing past connections adds is first-hand knowledge of the character, smarts and work ethic of the player - and that can certainly have an effect when you consider adding a guy mid-season. Play on the field you can analyze based on tape.

The Cowboys just cut Dontari Poe, and Jerry blasted him for being 30 pounds overweight and not doing anything about it. Now, a coach who has coached Poe before may have a better idea whether Poe is unmotivated due to bad character or bad circumstances (Dallas isn't really the most supportive team for a kneeling player). If the coach already has good rapport with the player, maybe he can get that guy motivated and playing well on the cheap.

But I do agree the media often chases ghosts when looking for these past connections.
I agree with that somewhat, but Poe is a bum. High first round draft pick and no team has wanted to keep him. His biggest asset is run stuffing, and the Cowboys give up chunks of yardage to everybody they play.
Offers no pass rush and from all accounts, really doesn't seem to care. I'll pass.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Andy basically has the same thoughts I do.

Go all in for 2020 because our roster is better this year then it will be in 2021. Use 2021 as a soft reboot year and then go all in once more for 2022 and 2023. I had no idea we would actually get a comp pick for Will Fuller if we traded for him. I didn't know he could be in that formula. If he is, then that makes the trade make even more sense because we are netting for sure a 4th round comp pick if not 3rd for Will Fuller in 2022.

Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Yeah the more and more this season has gone along, the more and more I don't want to pay him. I would do a 2 year type deal at $8 million per. But he will get way more then that and his value just isn't there. He is never available.
Yoop wrote: