General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

TheSkeptic wrote:
29 Oct 2020 07:17
Lazard will be back in a week or 3, if not this week. There is absolutely no reason to trade for a WR who is not better than Lazard. Remember, a big part of Lazard's job is to block for both the running game and other receivers. Bringing in a WR who can't or won't block because he is a marginally better receiver is still a net minus. The Packers should be playing a 2-TE offense most of the time and do not need 3 starting WR's.

But Watt is clearaly better than any Dlineman we have not named Clark. He is a major upgrade over Lowry, Lancaster, Adams or Keke. Assuming that the Packers can't afford 2 trades, they should take Watt over anyone else every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Make it happen, Gute.
I'm all in on a move like this, Watt or similar. Defense is and continues to be the weak link of this team. If we can shore up the D-line and/or get help at ILB I think we become a legit SB contender.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Christo wrote:
29 Oct 2020 09:35
salmar80 wrote:
29 Oct 2020 05:29
Christo wrote:
28 Oct 2020 17:17
I'm kinda tired of baseless rumor's from goofs who work for sports networks trying to get clicks for they're websites.
Remember last year it was Corey Davis because LaFleur coached him in Tennessee.
Now it's Fuller because of his connection from Notre Dame.
Maybe we'll go all the way down to the Pop Warner league by the end of the week.
The only thing past connections adds is first-hand knowledge of the character, smarts and work ethic of the player - and that can certainly have an effect when you consider adding a guy mid-season. Play on the field you can analyze based on tape.

The Cowboys just cut Dontari Poe, and Jerry blasted him for being 30 pounds overweight and not doing anything about it. Now, a coach who has coached Poe before may have a better idea whether Poe is unmotivated due to bad character or bad circumstances (Dallas isn't really the most supportive team for a kneeling player). If the coach already has good rapport with the player, maybe he can get that guy motivated and playing well on the cheap.

But I do agree the media often chases ghosts when looking for these past connections.
I agree with that somewhat, but Poe is a bum. High first round draft pick and no team has wanted to keep him. His biggest asset is run stuffing, and the Cowboys give up chunks of yardage to everybody they play.
Offers no pass rush and from all accounts, really doesn't seem to care. I'll pass.
It was reported that Poe was never right after his last injury. He's apparently going to take the next month to heal up and get back in shape. Take that for what you will. But may speak to his performance so far this year.
RIP JustJeff

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

paco wrote:
29 Oct 2020 11:35
Christo wrote:
29 Oct 2020 09:35
salmar80 wrote:
29 Oct 2020 05:29

The only thing past connections adds is first-hand knowledge of the character, smarts and work ethic of the player - and that can certainly have an effect when you consider adding a guy mid-season. Play on the field you can analyze based on tape.

The Cowboys just cut Dontari Poe, and Jerry blasted him for being 30 pounds overweight and not doing anything about it. Now, a coach who has coached Poe before may have a better idea whether Poe is unmotivated due to bad character or bad circumstances (Dallas isn't really the most supportive team for a kneeling player). If the coach already has good rapport with the player, maybe he can get that guy motivated and playing well on the cheap.

But I do agree the media often chases ghosts when looking for these past connections.
I agree with that somewhat, but Poe is a bum. High first round draft pick and no team has wanted to keep him. His biggest asset is run stuffing, and the Cowboys give up chunks of yardage to everybody they play.
Offers no pass rush and from all accounts, really doesn't seem to care. I'll pass.
It was reported that Poe was never right after his last injury. He's apparently going to take the next month to heal up and get back in shape. Take that for what you will. But may speak to his performance so far this year.
Even if he's healthy and in shape, I'll pass. The Chiefs let him walk, the Falcons and Panthers let him walk and the Cowboy's couldn't cut him fast enough. Everyone on the Packers roster at the Dline position is better than him.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

The trade deadline brings so much excitement, but one should really look to MM for how we probably should be treating it.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I know secondary did generally fine without King against the Texans, but I still wouldn’t mind Tramon joining us for the stretch run :)
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
29 Oct 2020 12:22
The trade deadline brings so much excitement, but one should really look to MM for how we probably should be treating it.

Sadly that isn't funny. One small upgrade for some TE depth, we could have been in a Super Bowl.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Jerry Jones basically called Dontari Poe a fat sack of &%$@ on Poe's way out the door. No thanks. Called him 30 pounds overweight and refused to do anything about it. He's Lacy plus a bad attitude on top of it.

Amari Cooper sucks. Don't want him. Will Fuller I could buy.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

texas wrote:
29 Oct 2020 18:01
Jerry Jones basically called Dontari Poe a fat sack of &%$@ on Poe's way out the door. No thanks. Called him 30 pounds overweight and refused to do anything about it. He's Lacy plus a bad attitude on top of it.

Amari Cooper sucks. Don't want him. Will Fuller I could buy.
The more I think about Fuller, the less I want him. Nothing wrong with him, just don't feel he'll be that big of an addition.
Maybe Malik Taylor is better than people give him credit for.
Barring injuries', the offence can hold it's own. The defense can do the job, question is, will they?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I think Will Fuller is one of the more underrated WRs in the league. He is a significant upgrade over MVS on nearly every front.

And then also no, Amari Cooper doesn’t suck, top 5 route runner in the league. But simply can’t take on that contract and give the draft capital required to get him.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Im sure healthy Wil Fuller would improve our WR corps plenty, but his trade value must reflect his inability to stay healthy.

Missed 5 games last year, 9 in 2018 and 6 in 2017.

He’s looking like the Kirksey of WRs, with more upside.

To the Texans I think he feels like our Kevin King. Makes the team a lot better when he is out there, but out there less than you would like.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

BF004 wrote:
29 Oct 2020 20:47
I think Will Fuller is one of the more underrated WRs in the league. He is a significant upgrade over MVS on nearly every front.

And then also no, Amari Cooper doesn’t suck, top 5 route runner in the league. But simply can’t take on that contract and give the draft capital required to get him.
Nah man he's straight garbage. Well, he's actually just totally average and pedestrian. But for his draft status, he is garbage. He's like the 3rd best WR on the Cowboys.

I think we should try to get Julio. Falcons are tanking, they've got their heir apparent, and they seem like they might blow that team up.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

I agree Fuller is an upgrade over MVS, Seth Roberts might be an upgrade over him
But like it's been said, he's always injured. But I doubt Houston will trade him for anything less than a second.
That's just way to high of a price.
The Packers have too many contracts coming due over the next 2 years to burn high draft picks on a rental.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

No way the Packers host a playoff game in an empty stadium.

Read More. Post Less.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lulu wrote:
29 Oct 2020 11:34
TheSkeptic wrote:
29 Oct 2020 07:17
Lazard will be back in a week or 3, if not this week. There is absolutely no reason to trade for a WR who is not better than Lazard. Remember, a big part of Lazard's job is to block for both the running game and other receivers. Bringing in a WR who can't or won't block because he is a marginally better receiver is still a net minus. The Packers should be playing a 2-TE offense most of the time and do not need 3 starting WR's.

But Watt is clearaly better than any Dlineman we have not named Clark. He is a major upgrade over Lowry, Lancaster, Adams or Keke. Assuming that the Packers can't afford 2 trades, they should take Watt over anyone else every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Make it happen, Gute.
I'm all in on a move like this, Watt or similar. Defense is and continues to be the weak link of this team. If we can shore up the D-line and/or get help at ILB I think we become a legit SB contender.
While I agree with your overall conclusion, I'm thinking more and more that the players on the roster are not the issue.

I was all aboard bringing Pettine in a few years ago with his success he had elsewhere. That optimism has since waned and I'm beginning to think that it is he who is the problem on defense, not the players. When I see CBs playing 8 yds off on 3rd and 2 and continued dime packages against run formations, it leads me to believe he either has waaay too much confidence in the ability of his dime defenders or he just isn't keeping up with the offensive packages.

That, or he's an idiot. I prefer to think he's not an idiot.

The defensive roster has talent. I am leaning more and more toward the idea we just aren't getting enough out of that talent.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Steps in the right direction. I would still love to attend at least one December game. :)

Wisconsin trending up, but that is pretty much all driven by Milwaukee and Madison, although I know they will attend games as well, but GB has been trending down pretty hard finally.
image.png
image.png (54.04 KiB) Viewed 896 times

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

paco wrote:
30 Oct 2020 11:30
I am sorry to hear this! Herb Adderley was so much fun to watch play. He was not only a great cover CB, he also was a very hard hitter. He especially liked to take runner's heads off, which was quite legal back then. Too many of the players from those great 60's Packer teams are passing. RIP Herb!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Sounds about right... Get the Lizard back in there!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Oct 2020 14:13
Get the Lizard back in there!
I just counted 53 on the roster, so they'll have to make room for him on Sat. if they wanna pull him off IR
Burgess seems a likley candidate for PS

https://www.packers.com/team/players-roster/
IT. IS. TIME