49ers GDT

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Which will have more?

49ers starters missing the game to injury
65%
49ers rushing touchdowns
35%

Total votes: 17

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Yoop wrote:
06 Nov 2020 12:00
TheGreenMan wrote:
06 Nov 2020 11:03
Good win, but I would be lying if I said I'm excited over it. Whole thing just felt wrong.

Bring on the Jags.
Really Green???? I saw so many positives last night, a OL that had to adjust, and did so without a hitch, very impressive, heck Jenkins went from LG to LT then closed out the contest at C, what a great draft pick, and they blocked so well Aaron Jones was just gashing them so bad they had to load the box to stop him, as a result Rodgers made them pay over the top.

and the defense was pretty good both stopping the run and covering, sure the niners where missing some players, but we t5ook advantage as we where hoping we would, maybe I'am more easily excited :clap:
I was definitely happy with the win, and certainly saw a lot of positives. I just keep thinking that we did it against a depleted team, likely the most depleted team I've ever seen. And that kind of dampers everything for me, unfortunately.
go pak go wrote:
06 Nov 2020 12:01
TheGreenMan wrote:
06 Nov 2020 11:03
Good win, but I would be lying if I said I'm excited over it. Whole thing just felt wrong.

Bring on the Jags.
You know I think about this more and more.

Did anyone make excuses when the Falcons trounced us for the 2016 NFC Championship game because we all got the flu? I mean cripes we had defensive linemen needing play LG we were so thin.
On here, yes.

And that team got trounced, not only just because the flu. Wasn't that the year opposing players from other teams were blatantly telling us "they know what's coming on D" … and we did nothing about it. We were down players, and got our asses kicked, yeah, butI suspect it only felt good to Atlanta because they were going to the Super Bowl. That game was won before it started, just as this one.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Also, who's buttholes were clinching every time Jones was carrying the ball in the 4th, up by 3 scores?
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Cdragon wrote:
06 Nov 2020 07:51
Other than a win which is all that matters we didn't learn much. The OL is verstile with Jenkins playing LG, LT, and C last night. Runyan is good. We didn't get anybody but the big guys any real time. Getting Malik and Jace more involved would have been great but it didn't happen. MVS errrgh. Hopefully it is not another magic trick where his hands will dissapear at the worst possible moment.

The D did their standard passive beginning until we had a big enough lead that we let the guys attack a crippled O. That's not going to do it in the big games. That's not going to work against the colts.

Next week is another taking care of business game. We've got some extra days to get Bak, and Jaire back. We can run the table and take the bye week. But the defense is going to have to step up.
I don't understand why Pettine won't let our guys set the tempo and be the aggressors at the get go. :?

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
06 Nov 2020 08:02
lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Nov 2020 04:09
German_Panzer wrote:
06 Nov 2020 03:56
Who cares if we beat these shorthanded 49ers. We need quality wins to start believing. Right now I'd think no way this team wins 3 in a row against contenders in the Playoffs. But it's a start and at least better than struggling against those 49ers. It's still a long season....
You can only play who is in front of you. When you play a bad team you stomp them. What the 49ers fielded was a bad team and the Packers did just that.
Plus it was actually a good win. We secured our spot as division leaders and that lead could increase by a game before next week. Also the niners will get guys back and they could be a decent team. With talk of the playoff field expanding to 8 they could have a chance to be that 8 seed and make us play a healthier version of them again, well after last night those odds went down a lot.

Hopefully our injuries aren’t too serious. Good time for a mini bye and then get another win against Jax. Confidence builders.
I seriously doubt Jimmy G is coming back seeing they put him on IR and without a decent QB I don't see them getting that 8th seed.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Labrev wrote:
06 Nov 2020 11:53
Pugger wrote:
06 Nov 2020 03:38
go pak go wrote:
05 Nov 2020 22:31
Our offensive line was awesome tonight.
Yes but I noticed we had some issues running when we had to shuffle our personnel around later in the game.
We were running our 4th- and 6th-string RB late in the game. :oops:
Yes, you are right. I think I saw backups on the OL late too.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Might be his best one. :lol:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pugger wrote:
06 Nov 2020 13:03
Cdragon wrote:
Other than a win which is all that matters we didn't learn much. The OL is verstile with Jenkins playing LG, LT, and C last night. Runyan is good. We didn't get anybody but the big guys any real time. Getting Malik and Jace more involved would have been great but it didn't happen. MVS errrgh. Hopefully it is not another magic trick where his hands will dissapear at the worst possible moment.

The D did their standard passive beginning until we had a big enough lead that we let the guys attack a crippled O. That's not going to do it in the big games. That's not going to work against the colts.

Next week is another taking care of business game. We've got some extra days to get Bak, and Jaire back. We can run the table and take the bye week. But the defense is going to have to step up.
I don't understand why Pettine won't let our guys set the tempo and be the aggressors at the get go. :?
I think their strategy might be play it safe don't give up the big play and let the O get ahead, get aggressive to maximize the lead and then go conservative and hold on. Which is fine if you are playing a bad O. Locks you into a track race if you go against somebody good.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Cdragon wrote:
06 Nov 2020 18:37
Pugger wrote:
06 Nov 2020 13:03
Cdragon wrote:

I think their strategy might be play it safe don't give up the big play and let the O get ahead, get aggressive to maximize the lead and then go conservative and hold on. Which is fine if you are playing a bad O. Locks you into a track race if you go against somebody good.
I def think a lot of the things that annoy us about the Defense is an intentional strategy that Pettine is choosing to deploy. Sometimes he’s right and as frustrating as it looks, it works. But sometimes I think we are right to beg him to get more aggressive.

I think back to the Carolina game last year when all game Kyle Allen was able to nickel and dime us down the field. I’d yell, “Come on why are we giving him so much respect?!?”

But then Kyle would get in the red zone when the field would shrink and almost Everytime they would have to settle for 3. At the end of the game they marched down the field too, and at the end we made the play to stop them. The strategy was frustrating, but it did work.

For some reason Pettine is just terrified of giving up the big play, which is even more mind boggling when you consider the resources we have in the secondary when the crew is healthy. They should be expected to not give up the big play, as well as ñot be so protected sometimes in my opinion.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Drj820 wrote:
06 Nov 2020 21:02
For some reason Pettine is just terrified of giving up the big play, ...
Wasn't that Dom's crush too? IMO this translates into: my guys are just not good enough, so I do what I can to at least prevent easy TD's. But Pettine had 2 drafts as DC, right? This just doesn't look too good, I just hope that at some point Pettine escapes thru aggressiveness (Blitzkrieg!) and not like Dom's wait-and-see approach that got us slaughtered in the late 2010's.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

German_Panzer wrote:
07 Nov 2020 00:20
Drj820 wrote:
Wasn't that Dom's crush too? IMO this translates into: my guys are just not good enough, so I do what I can to at least prevent easy TD's. But Pettine had 2 drafts as DC, right? This just doesn't look too good, I just hope that at some point Pettine escapes thru aggressiveness (Blitzkrieg!) and not like Dom's wait-and-see approach that got us slaughtered in the late 2010's.
This is why I get so frustrated with the defense..........Capers' defense, Pettine's defense, Sanders' defense, Bates' defense, Donatell's defense, Slowik's defense, Thomas' defense, Rhodes' defense, Bullough's defense, Modzelewski's defense, Meyer's defense, Hanner's defense...... and you're s'posed to be a helluva defense!! GRAB GRAB GRAB!!! :swear:

The 1996 Packers defense under Fritz Shurmur gave up only 19 TDs in the regular season. Now that was a defense. White, Dotson, Brown, Jones, Koonce, Williams, Simmons, Evans, Newsome, Butler and Robinson. :aok:

2010 was good enough because we had some stars on defense -- Charles Woodson, AJ Hawk, BJ Raji, Ryan Pickett, Clay Matthews and Nick Collins. :aok:

The 1970s and 1980s defenses were nothing special .......... a few stars that I can recall and that's it: Willie Buchanon, John Anderson, Fred Carr, Mark Lee, Ken Ellis. :bkw:

Why does this have to be this hard? :idn:

GO PACK GO !! :munch:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
06 Nov 2020 07:18
German_Panzer wrote:
06 Nov 2020 03:56
Who cares if we beat these shorthanded 49ers. We need quality wins to start believing. Right now I'd think no way this team wins 3 in a row against contenders in the Playoffs. But it's a start and at least better than struggling against those 49ers. It's still a long season....
At this point I could care less about "believing".

We have 8 games to right that ship. We needed at the minimum entering Q2 to leave it at 6-2. We did that.

Q3 of the season sets us up to look good. We have two harder games and two games with teams of losing records. Take these days. Get healthy. Get our team back on the field and start building some momentum.

We have 8 games to get it going.

Our defense still at the heart stinks. They play passive. They play timid. They can't tackle. And the only way they get pressures is by beating a bad backup LT.

What I am excited about this team is we have the pieces. Our second line of players is actually good. We saw a lot play making from Montravious, Dean Lowry, Tyler Lancaster. Once again the guy who was invisible was Kenny Clark.

Get this defense back with Kirksey and Martin. Let them get some games under them. Get Zadarius Smith going and get his energy to bring up Clark and Preston. We already have the guys below them stepping up. Get these stars playing well and this is a good defense.

Our offense on the other hand, our stars are playing great. Rodgers and Adams or Rodgers and Jones are playing awesome. Get all of them healthy. Get them to learn how to play together and this unit is great. And keep getting confidence MVS. It is clear he is ahead of Q at this point.

I LOVED the 2nd MVS touchdown. Still probably my favorite play from last night.
ehhhhh, Devonte made one of the best catches we'll see all season, MVS caught balls that should have been caught, big difference, still it was great to see, however not exactly high light reel material.

I think last nights game was a confidence builder for everyone, even though SF had a talent drain with a bunch of starters out, doesn't matter, we still played very well, and we where missing players ourselves.
The difficulty of the catch is not what you should be happy with. It was the fact MVS was able to read the coverage (inside leverage), see AR scrambling, and make an adjustment that was both appropriate and exactly what AR expected. The fact is was easy is absolutely what should make you happy!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

German_Panzer wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Fortunately it doesn't have to translate into that. All one needs to do is look at the 49ers play on Thursday. They were missing A LOT and they still played aggressive in run D and rushing the passer while playing mostly man. It didn't work great as they were missing so many pieces, but with out preferred starters in there next week there is zero reason we shouldn't play more aggressive and no reason it shouldn't work.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
07 Nov 2020 06:31

The difficulty of the catch is not what you should be happy with. It was the fact MVS was able to read the coverage (inside leverage), see AR scrambling, and make an adjustment that was both appropriate and exactly what AR expected. The fact is was easy is absolutely what should make you happy!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Our inside linebacker group is so weird.

The first part of the season we were in love with Krys Barnes and almost "loathed" Christian Kirksey coming back.

Then Krys Barnes had some rougher performances and we cooled on it. Then Barnes and Martin play great vs Houston and Summer plays terrible and we think we at least know our top ILBs.

Honestly, Ty Summers played great in that 2nd half vs San Fran. Summers played far better than Barnes did.

And I am rewatching that last minute of play...I still hate that flag on the Samford Samuals sack. The quarterback drops his head. That is not a personal foul. It was a good tackle. There is no other way Samuals could have made that tackle.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
07 Nov 2020 07:08
APB wrote:

I'am always thrilled to see a player make a tough catch, who wouldn't be? and learning to read leverage is taught in pee wee bal, what you guys should be excited to see is that Rodgers hasn't given up on Scantling and went back to him after another drop from a perfectly thrown football.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
07 Nov 2020 07:57
go pak go wrote:
APB wrote:

what you guys should be excited to see is that Rodgers hasn't given up on Scantling and went back to him after another drop from a perfectly thrown football.
I was absolutely excited about that too. I was excited about Rodgers going to Scantling on both plays. I was excited that Scantling said he wanted the ball on the sideline and Rodgers gave it to him. I am excited both worked out.

Scantling is definitely that "X" factor that can make this offense absolutely lethal. He is Will Fuller if he catches the freaking the ball.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
07 Nov 2020 08:20
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

what you guys should be excited to see is that Rodgers hasn't given up on Scantling and went back to him after another drop from a perfectly thrown football.
I was absolutely excited about that too. I was excited about Rodgers going to Scantling on both plays. I was excited that Scantling said he wanted the ball on the sideline and Rodgers gave it to him. I am excited both worked out.

Scantling is definitely that "X" factor that can make this offense absolutely lethal. He is Will Fuller if he catches the freaking the ball.
he played well after the drop, one of the beat writers I read a couple weeks back said one of his major issues is that DB's are able to disrupt his routes, and I think we see that at times, and obviously if/when that happens the timing of his routes are ruined, doesn't take much and Rodgers would be forced to look elsewhere, whatever he did well Thursday.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
07 Nov 2020 05:42
German_Panzer wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
This is why I get so frustrated with the defense..........Capers' defense, Pettine's defense, Sanders' defense, Bates' defense, Donatell's defense, Slowik's defense, Thomas' defense, Rhodes' defense, Bullough's defense, Modzelewski's defense, Meyer's defense, Hanner's defense...... and you're s'posed to be a helluva defense!! GRAB GRAB GRAB!!! :swear:

The 1996 Packers defense under Fritz Shurmur gave up only 19 TDs in the regular season. Now that was a defense. White, Dotson, Brown, Jones, Koonce, Williams, Simmons, Evans, Newsome, Butler and Robinson. :aok:

2010 was good enough because we had some stars on defense -- Charles Woodson, AJ Hawk, BJ Raji, Ryan Pickett, Clay Matthews and Nick Collins. :aok:

The 1970s and 1980s defenses were nothing special .......... a few stars that I can recall and that's it: Willie Buchanon, John Anderson, Fred Carr, Mark Lee, Ken Ellis. :bkw:

Why does this have to be this hard? :idn:

GO PACK GO !! :munch:
That defense we had in 1996 was one of the best in league history. In 2010 we had more playmakers than we have now. Would a new DC make a difference now? I suppose it can't hurt... :|

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
07 Nov 2020 08:47
go pak go wrote:
07 Nov 2020 08:20
Yoop wrote:

he played well after the drop, one of the beat writers I read a couple weeks back said one of his major issues is that DB's are able to disrupt his routes, and I think we see that at times, and obviously if/when that happens the timing of his routes are ruined, doesn't take much and Rodgers would be forced to look elsewhere, whatever he did well Thursday.
On that drop MVS committed the mortal sin of not looking the ball in. He was concentrating on moving up field. I remember some years ago Sterling Sharpe said you have to look the ball in every time. If you don't most of the time you don't catch it.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

2010 defense vs 2020 defense.

Dlinemen 1. BJ Raji < Kenny Clark.
Dlinemen 2. Cullen Jenkins > Dean Lowry/Montravious Adams/Kingsley Keke
Dlinemen 3. Ryan Pickett > Tyler Lancaster

ILB 1. Desmond Bishop > Then what we have seen so far. Position is still molding
ILB 2. AJ Hawk > Then what we have seen so far. Position is still molding

OLB 1. Clay Matthews = Zadarius Smith
OLB 2. Brad Jones/Erik Walden/Frank Zombo < Preston Smith/Rashan Gary

CB1. Tramon Williams < Jaire Alexander
CB2. Charles Woodson > Kevin King (remmber Shields was still developing at this time)
Nickle Corner. Sam Shield = Chandon Sullivan (though this isn't as far off as I thought earlier this year)

FS. Nick Collins > Darnell Savage
SS. Charlie Peprah < Adrian Amos

We are not that far off.

2010 Edge:
Cullen Jenkins
Ryan Pickett
Desmond Bishop
AJ Hawk
Charles Woodson
Nick Collins

2020 Edge:
Kenny Clark
Jaire Alexander
Preston Smith/Rashan Gary
Adrian Amos

Wash:
Pass Rusher #1
Nickle Corner

We just need Clark to play better. Seriously. I think Clark has been a massive disappointment this year and let our ILB mold into itself. If we do that, we should be able to stop the run better and hopefully our edge guys can feel more free to do their thing. This can be a top 10 defense.
Yoop wrote: