General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Nov 2020 17:24
Wait.

Our defense is top 10?

Yards/game, 9th in the NFL; right between the Ravens and the Bears.

I didn't see that comin'
Yup. I said that in the Jacksonville thread. The Bears gave up more yards vs MN so we passed them.

Some interesting tidbits. See below. Our defense isn't as bad as we may think it is.
go pak go wrote:
16 Nov 2020 14:20
Here is the Packers high level stats on defense after yesterday:

Yards Allowed: 10th. 335 yards per game
Passing Yards Allowed: 13th. 225 yards per game
Rushing Yards Allowed: 12th. 111 yards per game
Points Allowed: 15th. 24.9 points per game.

Note on the points. We are 14 total points away so far from being 9th in points allowed per game. So it is very packed from 9th to 15th.
It also important to note that the defense has been victim to 24 garbage points in the 4th quarter vs MN, 14 points essentially scored by the TB Defense, 14 points due to screw ups by backups in garbage time vs the 49ers and 10 points scored by ST's/Jags defense.

Still. A point is a point. I think at this point it is safe to say our defense is right at a 10th to 15th place defense in the league.

I think we can be much better than that. I think we have the talent to be a 5th to 10th place defense if we play more sound and top 5 defense if we get the Smith and Gary explosion like we would like.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Keep in mind, based on our schedule, it is not out of this world to expect the Packers defense go to 5th to 7th or say in the NFL by the end of the season in yards and 5h to 10th in the NFL for points allowed.

Our high powered offenses on our schedule are largely out of the way. What surprised me by all of this is we never had a game where we held a team to under 16 points. So we haven't had a game yet that really pulled down our average.

Jacksonville though from a yards standpoint did pull down our average.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Through Week 10, the Packers have four players graded as the best at their respective positions by PFF: Quarterback Aaron Rodgers (1st of 37), receiver Davante Adams (1st of 125), center Corey Linsley (1st of 39) and cornerback Jaire Alexander (1st of 120).
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pff-4-pack ... 30365.html

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-2020-m ... l-pro-team
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lmao

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's brilliant...

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

some voting hijinx I can thoroughly get behind!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I mean, fan votes are only 1/3 of the equation, so it won't work, but hey, why not.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Nov 2020 10:07
I mean, fan votes are only 1/3 of the equation, so it won't work, but hey, why not.
I can just picture you walking into a kindergarten and telling all the kids
Spoiler
there is no such thing as Santa

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
18 Nov 2020 10:12
YoHoChecko wrote:
Spoiler
Maybe it's a family trait. My sister did that first to me, then to my younger cousins in subsequent years :idn:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Nov 2020 10:22
NCF wrote:
18 Nov 2020 10:12
YoHoChecko wrote:
Spoiler
Maybe it's a family trait. My sister did that first to me, then to my younger cousins in subsequent years :idn:
It would have been great if your parents held back all her presents and she just got a stocking full of coal. And when she recanted the presents magically appeared later in the day.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Cdragon wrote:
18 Nov 2020 13:51
YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Nov 2020 10:22
It would have been great if your parents held back all her presents and she just got a stocking full of coal. And when she recanted the presents magically appeared later in the day.
Oh, my sister left no room for debate; she told me that she helped fill the stockings the prior night and told me what I'd find in them as proof. Cutthroat

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

'member when people didn't want Robby Anderson? Ya... About that...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Good news for our injury front.

Simon Stepaniak practiced for the first time today since coming off his ACL injury. He is on the PUP so he has three weeks to practice before the Packers have to make a decision. I think it would be stupid to try and clear him through waivers so we will likely either need to activate him or IR him.
According to the NFL’s rules around the NFI list, which functions effectively identically to the Physically Unable to Perform list, Stepaniak’s first participation in practice starts a three-week decision window for the team. By the end of that 21-day period, the Packers must either activate Stepaniak to the 53-man roster, waive him, or shut him down for the remainder of the season.
I wish we could just practice squad him.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Nov 2020 15:20
I am not sure what this meaning or referring to.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
18 Nov 2020 20:42
Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Nov 2020 15:20
I am not sure what this meaning or referring to.
5th best receiver in terms of yards so far this season.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Packers transplants episode was very interesting this week.

A segment blasted the packers org for not doing anything to involve fans virtually or connect the fans with the players unless it was required by a sponsor.

Also ripped Gutey for not only drafting a punter, but drafting a punter that can’t punt in the cold.

They also discussed why we always run on 2nd and 10...which brings me to a larger point about the way the packers play football. Basically Nagler asked Coach this week why an insane percentage of the time we run the ball on 2nd and 10. Coach basically said if the D is in a conservative look, they should be able to run the ball and so they try to run the ball.

1) this is a good answer, it makes sense...take a look at what the d is giving us and then run a play off of that.

2) wonder if that’s why we hardly run the ball on first and 10 (feels that way to me, haven’t looked at the numbers). Maybe the D is set up to stop the run on 1st down more.

3) I take issue with doing what the defense gives us EVERY play. I like the philosophy on say 3rd down, but at some point I want the team to say “we are running the ball on first down, and I dare you defense to try to stop us before we get 5 yards.” We shouldn’t be playing on the opponents terms so much. It would seem when we go up to the line and the OL waits to hear whether it is going to be a run or pass, they then only have a short time to get in big bully run blocking mode. I’d rather the team start blowing smoke out of their ears in the huddle knowing as they approach the line that they are about to block a defender through the back of the end zone.

Idk just seems we play defense that way too. All based on a look we get, and not based on “We are gonna do what we want to do, and we are going to kick your a** doing it!”

——

Finally, not mentioned on transplants...Kamal Martin deleted his Twitter over the weekend after a hilarious mistake he made involving tweeting out a link to videos kids aren’t legally allowed to watch.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Was interested to see how often we run on 2nd and 10. 40 times we have been in a 2nd and 10 this season. We passed 24 times. We ran it 16 times.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Green Bay is 22nd in yards/punt in games outdoors with temps 40 or below, since 2018.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Nov 2020 21:40
Green Bay is 22nd in yards/punt in games outdoors with temps 40 or below, since 2018.
I don't know the methodology they use to arrive at those numbers, but sometimes its a function of the offense moving the ball and the punter is going for placement vs distance. Crappy offenses punt from their own 20, better offenses punt from midfield.
You'd like to be at least average outdoors
IT. IS. TIME