All Time Packers Offense

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
17 Apr 2020 07:25
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
16 Apr 2020 19:46
QB: Brett Favre
HB: Paul Hornung
FB: Jim Taylor
WR: Don Hutson
WR: Sterling Sharpe
WR: Jordy Nelson
TE: Keith Jackson
LT: Ken Reuttgers
LG: Gale Gillingham
C: Jim Ringo
RG: Jerry Kramer
RT: Forrest Gregg

It's impossible to pick anyone over Bart Starr at QB but I did based not necessarily on WINNING and propensity for not making mistakes, instead I based it simply on BRETT FAVRE. Had Brett not thrown that INT versus the Giants in the 2007 NFC Championship Game he'd be on everyone's list I think. Bart had 5 Hall of Famers on his offense, a Rookie of the Year and 2 additional All-Pros (Fuzzy and Ron Kramer).

As for left tackle.......sure Bakh is awesome today as was Bob Skoronski in the Lombardi era. Ken Reuttgers stood the test of time........somewhat unheralded but consistently did the job. He wore Forrest Gregg's number well.

For TE ....... as a Packer Keith Jackson made plays when plays needed to be made. As Ron Wolf said ..... he puts sizzle into the Packers offense.
I agree with ya Ringo in that Jackson was still a very good TE even though we got him at the end of his career, 10 TD receptions is some pretty good production.

imo though Paul Hornung was a better lead blocker then Jim Taylor, even though we tag Taylor as the FB and the Horn as the HB, in reality, it was the other way around, sorta like this era of simply teaching RB's to also be lead blockers in a 2 RB set, no FB, just two RB's, look at some of those off tackle runs, and thers the Horn leading the way for Taylor.
By the way I updated my list to only have 11 players. I removed Jordy and kept Sharpe and Hutson. I have Hornung in there for his versatility running routes, on the streets, etc. and performing the option pass. With Jimmy Taylor back there with Hornung blocking we have an awesome and versatile running attack particularly with the amazing offensive line. Jimmy Taylor could get down field and catch passes as well. Imagine faking Taylor up the gut then flipping the ball over to Hornung to throw downfield to a wide open Keith Jackson ............ Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :beer2:
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 19 Apr 2020 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

Oldschool
Reactions:

Post by Oldschool »

OK. I'm gonna step out of line a bit here and put in a few guys that probably none of us saw play. For sure the game has changed but my guess is the "old guys" would have been damn impressive to watch. And anybody who could play w/o all the protective gear and play both ways ought to be considered IMHO.

QB Brett Favre The iron man. Love me some Bart but Bert could play with a leather helmet. Tough decision given our historic QB "wealth".
RG Jerry Kramer Lombardi called him the best guard in football. Nuff said.
LG Mike Michalske He played in a different era, sure, but he could play defensive line, special teams and was on the field for every damn play.
C Jim Ringo Tough as nails [123 straight starts], played hurt, great blocker, quick. He was also a long snapper. Perrennial All-Pro.
RT Forrest Gregg Another rock. [187 consecutive starts.] Versatile. Could play both guard positions. One of the best linemen to ever play.
LT David Bakhtiari Dude is awesome. All the votes aren't in yet but....we need to keep him around Gute.
HB Paul Hornung Great runner, great blocker, could throw the ball and drink like a fish.
FB/HB Tony Canadeo 5.1 yard career average. Could play both ways, pass and return punts and kicks. One of the greatest Packers of all time.
WR/TE Don Hutson Fast, creative and changed the game. Lined up tight to the line in the Box offense so he could block and stretch the field.
WR James Lofton Averaged 50 catches and 1000 yards over his nine year Packer career. First NFL player to amass 14,000 receiving yards.
WR Sterling Sharpe Great hands. Willing to run middle routes. One of three WR in SB era to lead the league in receptions, TD's and yards.

Too bad we lost Sterling so early. Only six seasons. Think what he could have done if he had stayed healthy. Had to leave a bunch of great guys of the list. Blood, Bart, Taylor, Drive, Jordy and Ahman come to mind. What an awesome team to cheer for, huh?

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Packfntk wrote:
16 Apr 2020 13:49
Saw a tweet for NFL, figured I would bring it here. Any time, any era, all Green Bay Packers. What is your offense?
QB: Bart/Brett/Aaron
HB/FB: Paul Hornung/Jim Taylor
WR: Don Hutson
WR: Donald Driver
WR: Sterling Sharpe
TE: Marv Fleming
LT: Chad Clifton
LG: Fuzzy Thurston
C: Frank Winters
RG: Jerry Kramer
RT: Forrest Gregg
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff