Rams @ Packers - NFCD Playoff GDT - 1/16 - 3:35 PM CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
17 Jan 2021 09:13
I agree with NCF. Gotta have some situational field awareness. Don’t throw a shovel pass to our 55 year old kicker. Just general football intelligence. Cant make a bad play worse.

Punting was fine, but that is not okay.
I mean it's pretty obvious JK Scott is NOT a football player.

He is 6 foot 4 and looks like 160 pounds. You can see how uncomfortable he is if he has to do anything other than kick a ball.

But when we drafted him...I didn't care about that. It's cool to have a kicker like Mason Crosby be a football player who can tackle and make football plays in emergencies. But it's not a deal breaker for me. He punted well. He panicked on the PAT.

Hopefully they can get Mason better this week.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Mazrimiv
Reactions:

Post by Mazrimiv »

go pak go wrote:
17 Jan 2021 09:20

He is 6 foot 4 and looks like 160 pounds. You can see how uncomfortable he is if he has to do anything other than kick a ball.

But when we drafted him...I didn't care about that. It's cool to have a kicker like Mason Crosby be a football player who can tackle and make football plays in emergencies. But it's not a deal breaker for me. He punted well. He panicked on the PAT.

Given the fact that JK has seemed totally unprepared for literally anything off script, I honestly wonder how much coaching has gone into covering these situations on ST

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Fantastic recap:

Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
17 Jan 2021 09:03
I specifically meant yesterday... not the whole season. Also, just knock it off with the Rodgers stuff. All of a sudden I am some Rodgers-hating villain? News to me.
I never said you where, here lets make that more clear, NCF, I NEVER SAID YOU HATED RODGERS, never really said anyone here does.

what ruins it for me, is when the first comments post game is how Rodgers was less then perfect, every freaking game those are amongst the first things that GPG mentions, it takes all the fun out of it for me, it's my fault for not blocking him out, not moving on to someone elses opinions rather then responding to his trashing this HOF QB.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Mazrimiv wrote:
17 Jan 2021 09:39
go pak go wrote:
17 Jan 2021 09:20

Given the fact that JK has seemed totally unprepared for literally anything off script, I honestly wonder how much coaching has gone into covering these situations on ST
Let's remember whose ST unit we're talking about.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Herman does a great job explaining the advantages of using a prevent type scheme, we may give up a bunch of yards, but not the yrds that matter, really hard for teams to string together enough first downs using small ball only without a mistake, ya got to get a few big plays, and we don't give up many of those.

not to take anything away from all the star players on this defense ( King is a whipping boy that is still better then some CB's we've had prior) but imo Barnes has really made a difference, he is instinctively better then anyone we've had for a while and reacts quickly and decisively to the snap of the ball.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
17 Jan 2021 10:08
NCF wrote:
17 Jan 2021 09:03
I specifically meant yesterday... not the whole season. Also, just knock it off with the Rodgers stuff. All of a sudden I am some Rodgers-hating villain? News to me.
what ruins it for me, is when the first comments post game is how Rodgers was less then perfect, every freaking game those are amongst the first things that GPG mentions, it takes all the fun out of it for me, it's my fault for not blocking him out, not moving on to someone elses opinions rather then responding to his trashing this HOF QB.
I did that a lot last year and 2018. I also did it a lot in 2015 and 2016 (until December) because it was deserved.

I have not done it that much this year because he played far too well. I was disappointed with Rodgers's performance vs Tampa, MN and Jacksonville and those were all deserved.

For other games, I will point out plays he does really well at and plays he does not do well at as I do for every other player on the team.

There are however fans such as you or BudFox who have complete bias and almost cult-like obsession over Rodgers that it's always got be twisted to it's not his fault even when it is. There is also an environment of not giving credit to the rest of them team when they deserve it which they absolutely did yesterday. My posts were FAR more about "wow. Look at this team winning a playoff game when Rodgers wasn't great rather than saying Rodgers played a bad game. I simply did not say he played a bad game because he didn't. He got 3 TDs and nearly 300 total yards. That is not a bad game.

And do I hold Rodgers to a high standard? You bet I do. He is the in the discussion for being the best quarterback to ever play the game. A player like that should be held to a higher standard than a 5th round pick who is a 3rd WR.

But this is a great TEAM. This is a great team that Gute and MLF have put together in record time all the while having to listen for 2 years of how stupid our GM is with his draft picks in 2019 and 2020 only because it wasn't at the positions fans thought it should have been at. And yet it hasn't mattered one bit. The team is honestly rivaling the best Packers squad next to the 96 team post Lombardi years and it was built in a way that fans/media didn't think it should have been built. And I honestly think that is painful for some because it is admitting that we were wrong.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
17 Jan 2021 10:25
Herman does a great job explaining the advantages of using a prevent type scheme, we may give up a bunch of yards, but not the yrds that matter, really hard for teams to string together enough first downs using small ball only without a mistake, ya got to get a few big plays, and we don't give up many of those.

not to take anything away from all the star players on this defense ( King is a whipping boy that is still better then some CB's we've had prior) but imo Barnes has really made a difference, he is instinctively better then anyone we've had for a while and reacts quickly and decisively to the snap of the ball.
Yeah I agree. Though I am disappointed in our defense before the half ended. The Rams "paper cut" on that drive too yet they scored in under 2 minutes. I think that is what is most frustrating is we have been very poor before the half. it's like we try and use the clock and not allow big plays, yet at the same time still allow opposing offenses to score in 45 seconds or less.

And I agree on Barnes. Honestly I think Zaven Collins my draft crush because I want us to have TWO dynamic and awesoome ILBs to make our defense a top end D for the final years of Rodgers's career.

I mean my draft crushes the following years:

2015: Erik Kendricks
2016: Myles Jack, Jaylon Smith and Kenny Clark
2017: TJ Watt
2018: Tremain Edmunds
2019: Devin Bush/Devin White and Brian Burns
2020: Patrick Queen and Kenneth Murray

I think my draft crushes are following a pattern. ;)
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly, this feels like a misunderstanding that's just dragged on for too long.

When people after THIS GAME commented right away about Rodgers' poor throws or mistakes, it is not to complain about the game or say that he played badly. If I came on and saw what I interpreted as complaints, I too would get (and have gotten) riled up, as Yoop seems to be right now.

But [mention]Yoop[/mention], let's reframe this a little and think of it how I interpret it: which is to say that people mentioned Rodgers' flaws and mistakes today and last night as a point of celebration. It was the realization that we don't need Rodgers to play flawless, god-like Rodgers ball to beat a playoff team. His supporting cast is now good enough that he has some margin for error in his game. We don't rise and fall with every Rodgers decision quite as much as we used to.

And so a day where Rodgers misfires on what would have been a TD or two--and a day when the receivers fail to make some tough or contested catches.... we can recover. We're talking about the "what could have been" plays not to highlight that we didn't make them, but to highlight that we didn't need them. And what a fun, happy, exciting revelation that is for the quality of this team!

So let's not throw all of everyone's past biases and expectations in each others' faces right now. We're probably the best team in the league and we got to see that on full display yesterday! Rejoice and be glad!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
17 Jan 2021 08:36
Man rewatching the game.

Kevin King was bad yesterday.

Our defense is elite when Kevin King has a good day. I pitty the team who ends up paying him.

But in the meantime, he is another player we just need two games from. Be the Tennessee Titans game Kevin King and this defense will make heads turn these next two games.
I sure as heck hope it isn't us who ends up paying him. :-|

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
Man rewatching the game.

Our defense is elite when Kevin King has a good day. I pitty the team who ends up paying him.

But in the meantime, he is another player we just need two games from. Be the Tennessee Titans game Kevin King and this defense will make heads turn these next two games.
I agree that King had a rough day yesterday, but he wasn't my main issue with the passing D.

It looked like we were playing some cover-2 looks where the middle of the defense had Barnes dropping into it with Amos and Savage behind him, and when they ran a receiver starting from the opposite side of the field from Barnes into the shallow/intermediate middle, in front of the safeties but too far to the opposite side of the field from Barnes for him to make it over, they had us allll day. It felt like 80% of Goff's yardage came up the shallow to intermediate seam.

Are you seeing that rewatching? Or did I just over-emphasize a couple bad plays that stuck out in my mind?

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

This is pretty cool, saw a couple of really strong rushes from him last night

"Rashan Gary was the highest graded defensive player for the #Packers against the Rams.
Gary tallied (7) total pressures, tying a single game high for his career."
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Jan 2021 11:16
go pak go wrote:
Man rewatching the game.

I agree that King had a rough day yesterday, but he wasn't my main issue with the passing D.

It looked like we were playing some cover-2 looks where the middle of the defense had Barnes dropping into it with Amos and Savage behind him, and when they ran a receiver starting from the opposite side of the field from Barnes into the shallow/intermediate middle, in front of the safeties but too far to the opposite side of the field from Barnes for him to make it over, they had us allll day. It felt like 80% of Goff's yardage came up the shallow to intermediate seam.

Are you seeing that rewatching? Or did I just over-emphasize a couple bad plays that stuck out in my mind?
It's both. You are absolutely correct that it was how Goff got his yards. Pretty much always the mid right of the field on those slants. You are also correct that it was only a couple bad plays that put this in your mind which makes sense right? I mean we held them to 150 yards passing so it's only going to be a few plays.

What really frustrates me with Kevin King is he chooses when to give effort. The 2 point conversion is a great example. If King just goes ahead and attacks on the play...that play is dead in its tracks. He once again also missed some tackles on Ackers and required Sullivan to clean it up.

From a coverage standpoint, I think Sullivan actually had the worse day, though again it's just such a limited amount of plays. But yes. The soft zone they played in the first half was really frustrating.
Yoop wrote:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I want to go back to a point I tried making a few pages ago. For one of the few times in his career, MVS was effective in the offense without having connected with Rodgers and a deep play. Long reception of 12 yards, yet 3 of his 4 receptions went for 1st downs. On a day when the other team was well equipped to make it difficult on Adams, I feel like MVS really stepped up into an unfamiliar role and helped this offense keep the ball moving.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
17 Jan 2021 11:29
I want to go back to a point I tried making a few pages ago. For one of the few times in his career, MVS was effective in the offense without having connected with Rodgers and a deep play. Long reception of 12 yards, yet 3 of his 4 receptions went for 1st downs. On a day when the other team was well equipped to make it difficult on Adams, I feel like MVS really stepped up into an unfamiliar role and helped this offense keep the ball moving.
This is a guy who genuinely could wash out of the league within 3 years... OR something clicks and he's an elite complementary WR. Still completely undetermined in my eyes.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I admit I'am defensive when it comes to Rodgers, this goes back years with GPG and other here blaming Rodgers back in years past when he didn't have surrounding talent, and his WR's had declined, and it almost never ends, Rodgers gets the blame when this offense sputters.

I was beside myself with joy last night with the way the WHOLE team played, yet I come to the forum and already Rodgers game is being picked apart as is the case each and every week, unless of course he plays flawlessly and people can't even invent something to bitch about, mind boggling.

I'am thrilled that the team can over come a mistake or less then stellar play from Rodgers, or receivers dropping passes and still win, however when someone insinuates the team won in spite of Rodgers, or that this team carried Rodgers, well that will never sit well with me.

just think in a couple years we'll have to find some other QB to carry to victory, I mean that literally.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
Yeah I said that yesterday too. It was really surprsing how effective our WR2 and WR3 (even WR4) were in the limited passing opportunities on key 3rd downs.

Lazard had a hell of a day too. But my goodness everybody. That MVS 3rd and 3 conversion still gives me chills. That was one of the under the radar best plays of the season.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Jan 2021 11:31
NCF wrote:
This is a guy who genuinely could wash out of the league within 3 years... OR something clicks and he's an elite complementary WR. Still completely undetermined in my eyes.
I know. That's what I meant that it will be really interesting to see what we do with him after next year. Does he get a 2nd contract with us?

Thing is I love his attitude so much. I love his passion so much. But the game definitely is too fast for him. He absolutely does not deserve a large contract. I would be happy to pay him $5 million per year on another 2 year deal. I think he is exactly what you want in a #3.
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

More on the defense from pff

"The Packers were charged with just two missed tackles by PFF; one by Darnell Savage and another by Za’Darius Smith. The two misses were the Packers’ fewest in a game all season. Tackling has been an adventure for Mike Pettine’s defense in 2020, but the group rallied to the ball and made stops in the open field against the Rams on Saturday.

10 different defenders had a final tackling grade of 70.0 or more. Linebacker Krys Barnes and cornerbacks Kevin King and Chandon Sullivan combined to make 26 tackles without a miss.
Overall, Saturday’s win was the Packers’ highest team tackling grade of the season (79.7)"

that's fantastic news on the tackling side, great time for them to be peaking
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
17 Jan 2021 11:39
I know. That's what I meant that it will be really interesting to see what we do with him after next year. Does he get a 2nd contract with us?

Thing is I love his attitude so much. I love his passion so much. But the game definitely is too fast for him. He absolutely does not deserve a large contract. I would be happy to pay him $5 million per year on another 2 year deal. I think he is exactly what you want in a #3.
Honestly, both MVS and Lazard are incredibly difficult determinations and decisions. GREAT attitudes. Great team play. Shaky-at-best hands. Replaceable attributes (MVS has elite speed but enough guys have elite speed that alone, that is replaceable; his height has almost never played an impact in his game because he isn't great at contested catch situations)

Like, on one hand, we know we can win with these guys. On the other hand, I could pick Jalen Tolbert and Jonathan Adams from small schools in the 5th and 6th rounds in this year's draft and they could probably completely replace the production of these guys if they leave in 2022.

Not to mention if we instead had, say, Terrance Marshall replacing Lazard or Dyami Brown replacing MVS, or other such names.

It's tough when the "lunch pail" guys at WR are both too expensive and replaceable to be kept around when their team-first attitude and willingness to do the dirty work makes them fan favorites and valuable team members. The mid-level veteran is the most disadvantaged by the football finance and cap economy. Responsible team building REALLY limits the mid-level contracts you can afford. You pay big money to big stars and rookie-contract money to as many as possible.