Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Maybe 12 should fire his agent for not getting him a fully guaranteed deal like Kork Kousins got.

The only way Rodgers should be concerned about being under contract and taken care of so many years into the future is if he is worried his injury history or having a dramatic fall off due to age. If he thinks about those things, I understand why he wants a long deal that keeps him parked in one place for a long time while the team has to pay him.

Outside of that, at his age..why not go the Brady route? sign 1 to 2 year deals for several years. It allows pressure to be applied from both sides..The Packers can say no thanks to Rodgers if he sucks (like the Pats could with Brady), but also if Rodgers is confident he can play into his 40s then the deal puts the pressure back on the Packers (they have to show him year after year that they are trying to win rings or he can just go a team that is trying, anywhere he wants to go. Free to leave)

12 should just do 2 year fully guaranteed deals from here on out and go to teams that are ready to win. He can then just leave whenever his feelings get hurt.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 May 2021 08:53
paco wrote:
25 May 2021 08:50
This isn't a fight for Rodgers or any 1 player and their management. If players want change, they and the NFLPA have to get their heads out of their butts and play hardball with the NFL. They might have to give up playing for a year to do it. But they screwed themselves for another decade with that last CBA.
to be fair to Rodgers, he hated that deal, then quit as player rep after it was approved. So yeah, he really is trying to change the way contracts work, most likely.
no doubt about it, any rational person can see that giving a person a contract, then replacing that person and trading him for a reward to recoup contract money is wrong, but that is what the NFL has become now.

Rodgers hated that last contract just as a bunch of other vets have.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
25 May 2021 08:55
paco wrote:
NCF wrote:
25 May 2021 08:45

You keep beating this drum. I say, so what? This is how NFL contracts work. Rodgers could have negotiated a fully guaranteed contract. Rodgers could have negotiated a no trade clause. He didn't. He knew damn well when we signed that there were no guarantees (financial and otherwise) on the back end of the deal. There is no room to play dumb here. Every NFL player knows this is a possibility.
This isn't a fight for Rodgers or any 1 player and their management. If players want change, they and the NFLPA have to get their heads out of their butts and play hardball with the NFL. They might have to give up playing for a year to do it. But they screwed themselves for another decade with that last CBA.
I don't get this at all. What would the NFLPA be fighting for here? You can trade players in the NBA or MLB too.

It's not that Rodgers isn't going to get paid for the length of his contract here. It just depends what jersey he is wearing and who is signing the checks.

Both teams and players have in common they want to keep ability to be traded. Teams probably moreso, but certainly players want that potential out as well.
It's the bigger issues. If they want changes to how contracts look, practices, games, trades, what color their jockstraps are allowed to be, it doesn't matter. They need to negotiate it at that level. Because 1 guy, no matter who it is, isn't going to make much traction on real change throughout the league.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
25 May 2021 09:02
YoHoChecko wrote:
paco wrote:
to be fair to Rodgers, he hated that deal, then quit as player rep after it was approved. So yeah, he really is trying to change the way contracts work, most likely.
no doubt about it, any rational person can see that giving a person a contract, then replacing that person and trading him for a reward to recoup contract money is wrong, but that is what the NFL has become now.

And it is forever going to be a problem for players. The vets want something different than the younger players. The top players want special treatment. Retired players want something different. You have 3 or 4 distinct groups of players who all want something different. Owners want 1 thing. Makes it easy for them to keep winning the fight.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
go pak go wrote:
25 May 2021 08:55
paco wrote:

I don't get this at all. What would the NFLPA be fighting for here? You can trade players in the NBA or MLB too.

It's not that Rodgers isn't going to get paid for the length of his contract here. It just depends what jersey he is wearing and who is signing the checks.

Both teams and players have in common they want to keep ability to be traded. Teams probably moreso, but certainly players want that potential out as well.
It's the bigger issues. If they want changes to how contracts look, practices, games, trades, what color their jockstraps are allowed to be, it doesn't matter. They need to negotiate it at that level. Because 1 guy, no matter who it is, isn't going to make much traction on real change throughout the league.
Yup. And if they want to go that route, they certainly can. But it comes at a TREMENDOUS cost. One, the Union will need to have a lot of cash saved up from dues to pay players to sit out. That's a lot of needed assets. Two, the union and league will need to calculate what a potential lost season could do for the league. Look at baseball. It was America's game and it never recovered to be America's top sport after it boycotted a season.

The NFL and players are already coming into an era where Covid might just be changing things. I have been surprised how cheap tickets have been for the 2021 season. Also, viewership is down for literally every other sport league right now. If this continues, a thing like a boycott could be the snap that ends a very good thing for both teams and players.

Personally I think it is really good for the players and the league that they have a 10 year agreement in place.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers may be trying to use his position to change the way players are treated...but it would be insane for this to be a fit that has to do with the 10 year deal that was signed. The peasants of the league far out number the vets, the league catered to the peasants and got a deal passed...Rodgers should have ruled his association with a firmer hand if hes mad about the deal.

I think Brandt is right. Rodgers knows whats happened to countless players before him is about to happen to him and hes saying "no way" and demanding it happen on his terms.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 May 2021 09:00
Acrobat wrote:
25 May 2021 08:57
Here's a question to ponder:

Would you want the unquestioned leader of your team to be roaming your locker room all season knowing that he resents the front office? Is that potential poison in the locker room?
The Bulls won a championship doing that.
I suppose. The Bulls also had Michael Jordan who was clutch in the playoffs.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
25 May 2021 09:04
Yoop wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

And it is forever going to be a problem for players. The vets want something different than the younger players. The top players want special treatment. Retired players want something different. You have 3 or 4 distinct groups of players who all want something different. Owners want 1 thing. Makes it easy for them to keep winning the fight.
well I think all players/people want security, young players, just like young workers automatically get it because they are at or near the height of there productive years, older vets/ workers are considered a possible liability because there production could degres dramatically at almost a moments notice.

heres what I think about this, and Andy Brandt did nail it, Rodgers doesn't want to play on a yearly basis, obviously like all older players/workers not even he can depend on his ability going forward, his trade value is best right now, after this season he'll have a years less value, and so on, so in essense he'd rather leave now, unlike Brady it may take his new team a year or even two (if ever) to be a SB contender, so the longer this takes to happen the less chance he has, he seems convinced that Guty just wants him to be a Packer for just this season, he has zero trust in Guty.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Acrobat wrote:
25 May 2021 09:16
lupedafiasco wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
25 May 2021 08:57
Here's a question to ponder:

Would you want the unquestioned leader of your team to be roaming your locker room all season knowing that he resents the front office? Is that potential poison in the locker room?
Only if you think Rodgers isn’t clutch in the playoffs.

I guess throwing essentially back to back Hail Marys to Jeff Janis doesn’t count only for Randall to $%@# it up. I guess getting us in FG range to tie the game against the Seahawks only for Tramon to get beat deep does count. I guess rolling left and landing a pass to Cook to send a decimated team to the NFCC isn’t clutch.

You people want to bring up Rodgers inability to score on 3rd down in the red zone but on 1st down Rodgers throws to a wide open Allen Lazard for an easy TD and he ducked his head.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
25 May 2021 09:22
paco wrote:
Yoop wrote:

well I think all players/people want security, young players, just like young workers automatically get it because they are at or near the height of there productive years, older vets/ workers are considered a possible liability because there production could degres dramatically at almost a moments notice.

heres what I think about this, and Andy Brandt did nail it, Rodgers doesn't want to play on a yearly basis, obviously like all older players/workers not even he can depend on his ability going forward, his trade value is best right now, after this season he'll have a years less value, and so on, so in essense he'd rather leave now, unlike Brady it may take his new team a year or even two (if ever) to be a SB contender, so the longer this takes to happen the less chance he has, he seems convinced that Guty just wants him to be a Packer for just this season, he has zero trust in Guty.
I think Rodgers is punishing Gutey right now for wanting him out after next season. I think Gutey 100% planned on moving on from 12 after this season and Rodgers knows that.

Then Rodgers won MVP and Gutey shifted to a "wait and see" approach. As in, "if Rodgers wins MVP again..well we will keep him, if he declines or Love looks ready, we will still trade him"

To me, this whole thing is about Rodgers seizing the leverage he just gained after an MVP season and saying..."no more wait and see, choose now. Choose right now."

He even mentioned that a bit last night when he said his MVP threw a wrench in their plans.

Rodgers has too much clout and is too good to be put in a "prove it every year position". He is just still way too good to be asked to do that. Gutey brought this on the team when it didnt have to be brought on the team. Rodgers hates Gutey now, cant blame him.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Let's stop talking about the contract as if it's different on other teams or even other leagues. There is literally nothing that has been written into any professional sports contract that absolutely guarantees a player will play through the end of that contract. As far as I know there has never been a no cut and no trade clause put into a contract. Fully guaranteed contracts do not guarantee a player will play to the end of said contract. Let's live in sports reality here, not some mythical world where all players play through the end of their contracts and play up to them.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Rodgers has too much clout and is too good to be put in a "prove it every year position". He is just still way too good to be asked to do that.
If he's too good then it won't matter. There is no way he won't play through the end of the contract.

Unfortunately the big issue stems all the way back to the extension then coupling it with the Love pick. Not a good combination.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 May 2021 09:27
Acrobat wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

I guess throwing essentially back to back Hail Marys to Jeff Janis doesn’t count only for Randall to $%@# it up. I guess getting us in FG range to tie the game against the Seahawks only for Tramon to get beat deep does count. I guess rolling left and landing a pass to Cook to send a decimated team to the NFCC isn’t clutch.

You people want to bring up Rodgers inability to score on 3rd down in the red zone but on 1st down Rodgers throws to a wide open Allen Lazard for an easy TD and he ducked his head.
I'm as big of a Rodgers fan as anyone when it comes to his skills and raw talent. And I understand the circumstances that you pointed out. But in the end, Michael Jordan made the difference, Tom Brady made the difference. Rodgers hasn't even though he's made some amazing plays.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Acrobat wrote:
25 May 2021 09:41
lupedafiasco wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

I'm as big of a Rodgers fan as anyone when it comes to his skills and raw talent. And I understand the circumstances that you pointed out. But in the end, Michael Jordan made the difference, Tom Brady made the difference. Rodgers hasn't even though he's made some amazing plays.
Michael with his HOF coach and Scotty and Rodman and 5 men on the court at once, and Brady with his HOF coach and perfect special teams and top ten defenses.

I agree Rodgers has leadership issues, but not everything is a good comparison

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
25 May 2021 09:29
Yoop wrote:
25 May 2021 09:22
paco wrote:

I think Rodgers is punishing Gutey right now for wanting him out after next season. I think Gutey 100% planned on moving on from 12 after this season and Rodgers knows that.

Then Rodgers won MVP and Gutey shifted to a "wait and see" approach. As in, "if Rodgers wins MVP again..well we will keep him, if he declines or Love looks ready, we will still trade him"

To me, this whole thing is about Rodgers seizing the leverage he just gained after an MVP season and saying..."no more wait and see, choose now. Choose right now."

He even mentioned that a bit last night when he said his MVP threw a wrench in their plans.

Rodgers has too much clout and is too good to be put in a "prove it every year position". He is just still way too good to be asked to do that. Gutey brought this on the team when it didnt have to be brought on the team. Rodgers hates Gutey now, cant blame him.
yep, Rodgers wants the security to be able to play for the same team for the next few years, and obviously that was not in Guty's plans, still isn't or we wouldn't be discussing this today, the FO seems to be as stubborn as Rodgers.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
25 May 2021 09:29

I think this is largely what is going on, too. AR wants a commitment or a trade, not year by year. Has he earned that? I donno, maybe. Drafting Love was a mistake regardless, though, and the effect it has had on AR and the team dynamics has been pretty bad.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
25 May 2021 09:47
yep, Rodgers wants the security to be able to play for the same team for the next few years
How does he get this security?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
25 May 2021 09:43
Acrobat wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Michael with his HOF coach and Scotty and Rodman and 5 men on the court at once, and Brady with his HOF coach and perfect special teams and top ten defenses.

It's been Rodgers, then everyone else since 014, how anyone can compare Brady's situation with NE or the Bucs even with our supporting cast with Rodgers isn't dealing with truthful observation, our defense has been patch word bad for most of 10 years, and Rodgers impact players on offense have just now improved the last 2 years, Rodgers has carried this team for most of this decade.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:

Agreed. But it goes back to my original question. Do you want Rodgers in that locker room when he's openly saying in interviews that there is a "People/Culture" issue in the organization? Do you trust that if Rodgers comes back that he will be able to put that aside and still be a positive leader for the locker room. If yes, then I'm all about him coming back in 2021, but I have my concerns.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Acrobat wrote:
25 May 2021 09:54
Drj820 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Agreed. But it goes back to my original question. Do you want Rodgers in that locker room when he's openly saying in interviews that there is a "People/Culture" issue in the organization? Do you trust that if Rodgers comes back that he will be able to put that aside and still be a positive leader for the locker room. If yes, then I'm all about him coming back in 2021, but I have my concerns.
I think, if he comes back, that is him saying it's either fixed or that he can put it aside. His goal isn't to poison the locker room. If anything, he's unifying it more. Players tend to stick together on stuff like this.
RIP JustJeff