Round 3 (94) - Josiah Deguara, TE Cincinnati

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Y'all should step back from the draft a bit, at least stop LARPing scouts and GMing. Its really freeing. When you have literally zero sense of value (face it, once the draft is over value becomes exactly what the picks were, the value of anything is merely what someone is willing to pay for it), and have no idea who any of the players are, its really fun to take it as it comes.

I totally get what they are doing. There is a fundamental disconnect between what MLF and Gute have identified is The Problem™ and what fans have. What fans miss is the vision, what they feel like it should look like. Fans instead alway seek to get back to What Worked™. Coaches can get in that rut too eventaly, especiallly once they achieve that vision; the last 5 years MM was really stuck in that. MLF's understanding of what works offensively is not the 2011 Packers.

The vision includes a whole lot more running and play action than GB has been used to, and a whole lot less spread passing. Mac's offense could go with total scrubs at RB and virtually no production from backs. MLF wants to run you over and take advantage of the passing opportunities that creates. Is there really a need for heavy investment at the WR position when you already have a star? TE and RB meet the core vision moreso than WR.

Don't worry about value. It doesn't matter if they get the guys they want. Say what you will, but I think Gute and MLF are thrilled with each of their picks, they are clearly picking players they targeted.
Last edited by Waldo on 24 Apr 2020 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

APB wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:26
TheGreenMan wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:23
Well.....he has better knees than Graham.
...and half the catch radius. Even with JG’s bad knees.
Made up for hopefully with half the drops.

Fortunately they picked a QB day 1 that can put the ball into tight spaces, and doesn't need a moster catch radius on all his catchers to be effective

JohnnyUtah
Reactions:

Post by JohnnyUtah »

Waldo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:39
Y'all should step back from the draft a bit, at least stop LARPing scouts and GMing. Its really freeing. When you have literally zero sense of value (face it, once the draft is over value becomes exactly what the picks were, the value of anything is merely what someone is willing to pay for it), and have no idea who any of the players are, its really fun to take it as it comes.

I totally get what they are doing. There is a fundamental disconnect between what MLF and Gute have identified is The Problem™ and what fans have. What fans miss is the vision, what they feel like it should look like. Fans instead alway seek to get back to What Worked™. Coaches can get in that rut too eventaly, especiallly once they achieve that vision; the last 5 years MM was really stuck in that. MLF's under, standing of what works offensively is not the 2011 Packers.

The vision includes a whole lot more running and play action than GB has been used to, and a whole lot less spread passing. Mac's offense could go with total scrubs at RB and virtually no production from backs. MLF wants to run you over and take advantage of the passing opportunities that creates. Is there really a need for heavy investment at the WR position when you already have a star? TE and RB meet the core vision moreso than WR.

Don't worry about value. It doesn't matter if they get the guys they want. Say what you will, but I think Gute and MLF are thrilled with each of their picks, they are clearly picking players they targeted.
I like this take on things a lot. With Williams and Jones at the end of their contracts I think it makes a ton of sense for the to run them into the ground this year while sprinkling in Dillon to get him some reps. With a strong commitment to the running game, and with the pressure of an actually talented QB on the bench, I think Rodgers will be forced to actually play within our offensive scheme and get the ball out on time, and quit trying to scramble around playing hero-ball while ignoring the underneath throws this year.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

JohnnyUtah wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:44
Waldo wrote:

I totally get what they are doing. There is a fundamental disconnect between what MLF and Gute have identified is The Problem™ and what fans have. What fans miss is the vision, what they feel like it should look like. Fans instead alway seek to get back to What Worked™. Coaches can get in that rut too eventaly, especiallly once they achieve that vision; the last 5 years MM was really stuck in that. MLF's under, standing of what works offensively is not the 2011 Packers.

I like this take on things a lot. With Williams and Jones at the end of their contracts I think it makes a ton of sense for the to run them into the ground this year while sprinkling in Dillon to get him some reps. With a strong commitment to the running game, and with the pressure of an actually talented QB on the bench, I think Rodgers will be forced to actually play within our offensive scheme and get the ball out on time, and quit trying to scramble around playing hero-ball while ignoring the underneath throws this year.
Yes, emphasising the running game more along with shorter passes instead of going for the home run on every down might be a better scheme for a QB like Rodgers in the twilight of his career.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

He's on a conference call now and he seems like a real good kid, but he sort of has Troy Polumalu voice, it's cracking me up

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just FYI: Danny Vitale played 17 offfensive snaps for us last year (and 228 on STs)

Foster Moreau, a 4th round pick for the Raiders that reminds me of this guy, played 371 as a rookie for the Raiders (and 205 on STs) despite having Darren Waller as the #1 TE.

Kyle Juszczyk, the FB who does more than a traditional FB played 389 snaps for the 49ers last year, who run the same system as us and Kyle Juszczyk is the comparison for the role Deguara would play for us.

Gutey says he can play right away, and Josiah says he can play right away. He's a guy who could easily see 250-350 snaps; only 2 rookies last year had more than 300. Plus a core STer. So any thought that he won't contribute this year can be put to rest. He may only catch a handful of passes and won't put up snaps, but he'll be taking snaps away from Vitale and Lewis and opening up different options in our offense early on. That's plenty of contribution for a 3rd round pick--even if he's a guy I thought was a 5th rounder

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Waldo wrote:

I totally get what they are doing. There is a fundamental disconnect between what MLF and Gute have identified is The Problem™ and what fans have. What fans miss is the vision, what they feel like it should look like. Fans instead alway seek to get back to What Worked™. Coaches can get in that rut too eventaly, especiallly once they achieve that vision; the last 5 years MM was really stuck in that. MLF's understanding of what works offensively is not the 2011 Packers.

7 yards and a cloud of dust on every 1st down, baby!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Waldo wrote:
Eh, I did not follow the draft this year and do not really care for our Days 1 & 2 overall. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Waldo wrote:

This! ^^^^^

Maybe the best comment that you’ve made in this new forum.
:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:35
This stinks.

We drafted one of the 5 guys I wanted this weekend, and I'm not allowed to be happy because no one knows his name and we haven't picked a WR yet.
Guty Goal, replace soon to depart players like Jones and Rodgers shortly after, and Sternberger isn't who I thought he'd be, nothing he's done will help this team this year, we have everything he picked already here and far more ready to contribute, this is Guty putting his stamp on the future, one without Rodgers.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:58
JohnnyUtah wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:44
Waldo wrote:

Yes, emphasising the running game more along with shorter passes instead of going for the home run on every down might be a better scheme for a QB like Rodgers in the twilight of his career.

And this new offensive approach gives the Packers defense time to rest. Then it comes down to not turning the ball over and kicking the FG if needed. The Seattle-Packers playoff game was a great example I think. The game came down to a late fourth quarter possession game. And key first downs were made to keep the drives going. Came down to clutch shorter distance first down passes (Graham and Adams), not bombs to Richard Rodgers or Randall Cobb. Keeping the opponents offense off the field is the first nut to consistently crack. Forget the shoot out, greatest shown on turf approach. Packers fans love to see the running game control the contest. Goes back to the days of the Packers Sweep. Then Brockington, Middleton, Levens, Green, even Ryan Grant. Now Aaron Jones.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Waldo wrote:

Well, isn't this just a logical, rational post. How DARE you! ;)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I said the same thing till about 2011 and Rodgers destruction of any team that dared to defend him with one high safety, why would any football fan want to go back to 4 yrds and a cloud of dust football after watching Air Rodgers destroy a defense in 3 downs or even less, I'd rather watch a shoot out any day then the ol games of one or 2 scores for the entire game or a 10-7 score, only a purest enjoys watching a defensive struggle, and lets face it even they would rather watch a 5 score game, I mean I really get my rocks off watching two teams battling between the 20's and stopping each other from scoring, I dare say that anyone that disagree's with me is not being truthful.

it became a offensive game, because thats what fans want, high scoring and the live ball era has doubled the fanship for every team, small ball will deminish it, why? because it puts most fans to sleep, and if SF and KC again meet in this years SB, the outcome will be the same, the airway is dominate in this league and always will be, thank God for that.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

This is what we wanted. This is what we were excited for when we hired MLF. We wanted our running game to be involved (MM never used it). We wanted our TEs and FBs to be involved. (MM and Rodgers never used the middle of the field).

This is what we wanted. I didn't like it at first because I am conditioned of decades going the other way.

The more I think about it, the more I think we still might even re-sign Jones because that is the shift our offense is going. We pay 1 WR. We pay 1 RB. We have two TEs on rookie deals and invest the rest of the money in the Oline.

We will run down your throats. MLF said all the time last year "we need to make yardage on 1st down. We cannot put ourselves in position of 3rd and longer than 7 yards."

We were used to that before because Rodgers and our WRs could bail us out on 3rd and long. How many times did we see prior to 2017 we are sitting in 3rd and long and we would rely on a play break down and Nelson run back to Rodgers or a behind the shoulder throw to move the chains.

That ain't happening no more. And it's not necessarily because our philosophy has shifted, it's that literally our offense can't do it anymore. We saw all the time last year. We get into 3rd and long and it was a 75% chance we saw JK Scott come trotting out after that.

The more I thought about it too, Waldo is exactly right. This is molding the new generation of the Packers offense. I for one choose to be excited about it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:51
I may not agree with the position or player (again), but one thing I definitely don’t care about is where Dane Brugler had him ranked.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I agree with Waldo and Go Pack Go to an extent.

But I still think we pack team speed on offense and want to see that addressed

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 09:26

Definitely want to see some speed, but the utilization of Deguara is really starting to grow on me. Looks like someone that doesn't do anything perfectly, but can pretty much do whatever is asked of him.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 09:13
Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:51
I may not agree with the position or player (again), but one thing I definitely don’t care about is where Dane Brugler had him ranked.
Yeah, you can sell me on Dillon being a reach late in Round 2, but when we start getting to the end of Round 3, there are no reaches. Its 32 different boards and there is no consensus value here.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 09:26

Do you say that primarily because Lazard and Funchess are likely ahead of MVS and EQSB in the pecking order?

Because I would call Adams, Jones, MVS, EQSB, and even somewhat Sternberger speedier guys. Or at least not slow guys.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.