Official 2020 Draft Thread - Day 2 - NO SPOILERS!!!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Definitely a weird draft this year. I will call it a draft for the most part as 5-7 round guys don't usually make an impact. For that matter I don't think our top 3 guys are going to make much of an impact in 2020. Pretty disappointing draft. It's almost like they had a ranking of players and picked the top one regardless of anything of else.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Dang, Davion Taylor was a Day Three ILB I was interested in; Guess he's a Day Two guy, though

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:52
Definitely a weird draft this year. I will call it a draft for the most part as 5-7 round guys don't usually make an impact. For that matter I don't think our top 3 guys are going to make much of an impact in 2020. Pretty disappointing draft. It's almost like they had a ranking of players and picked the top one regardless of anything of else.
I think I'm okay with the Deguara pick, but not at the spot we took him. Would have taken a couple of other TE's over him. Overall though, I agree with your feelings.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Vikings have 13 day 3 picks.
RIP JustJeff

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

any word on a conference call tonight?

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Silverstein said Gute will talk at 11:30
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Packers.com doesn't show us with pick 192 anymore. Nfl.com says it was sent to the Lions. I can't find any details.

Wtf?
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Maybe my expectations should just change. I thought we were close, and an ILB, WR, and OT might be all we need.

Maybe staff thought we were a lot further than just that, or lafleur didn’t like the weird mix that his style and Rodgers style mixing became. Maybe Rodgers just got told “get on with this new way, if not we have your replacement here”. Maybe we want to run the ball 70% of the time and Loves athleticism could be used like a kaepernick. Maybe the front office is committed to not getting better for next year, but looking at taking on the process of steering a big ship into the direction Lafleur wants.

Odd thing to do right here at the end of the HOF QBs career that we just signed to a mega deal. But that looks like the road they are taking. And if that’s the road, maybe the draft is more understandable. Maybe. Idk, that’s all I got.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

paco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:15
Packers.com doesn't show us with pick 192 anymore. Nfl.com says it was sent to the Lions. I can't find any details.

Wtf?
They fixed it now. On nfl anyway.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:15

Wtf?
Lions got 197 in atrade; someone made a typo entering it into the computer? 2s and 7s looks alike when hand written

JohnnyUtah
Reactions:

Post by JohnnyUtah »

I'm not any sort of expert that breaks down tape or anything but I watch and gamble on a ton of college football and here's my armchair takes on everyone so far.

Jordan Love - From a physical standpoint, he has literally everything. He has a cannon arm that can make every throw and he throws with good timing and accuracy. He has made a lot of throws in college that most NFL QBs aren't capable of. He has a ton of work to do from a mental standpoint though. He tried to force way too many throws into tight windows, and struggled to read zone coverage at times. There might be an argument that he was pressing due to the complete lack of talent around him last year. Overall, I think that his issues are correctable, and I think his decision-making problems will be easier for an NFL coaching staff to correct than accuracy issues.

AJ Dillon - I love this pick. I think he is a perfect fit for a ZBS. He has great vision which imo is the most important trait for a ZBS. He also offers great size at 250lbs, and it's almost impossible to arm tackle him. He is also very deceptively athletic for his size. He's shown the ability to run away from DBs in a P5 conference. I think he's going to be a problem for defenses to try to tackle when it gets to be December and January. RB is a bigger need than the media was reporting too. Both of our RBs have 1 year on their contract and I don't think we can afford to give Jones a second contract with Clark needing re-signed this season and Bakhtiari next season.

Josiah Deguara - I like him a lot, but I can't see how this wasn't a reach. I see his ceiling as a great ST player and as a #2 TE. He plays with extreme effort every play and I think he will be a fan-favorite. He's a good, but not great blocker but I think he can improve to be a difference maker here. He will offer little in the receiving game. I see him taking over the Marcades Lewis role in our offense, and I can't see any upside beyond that. I think you could easily find a similar player in the 6th or 7th round or even as a UDFA. He reminds me of Tom Crabtree, but Duguara is a better blocker.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Gutey presser:

Good day today... two versatile pieces that will really help our offenses

Ryan Wood: elephant in the room, not getting any receivers
Gutey: Not really; we have to trust our work and the board, the way it fell. After the way the first round fell, this was to be expected. We have six picks tomorrow. We thought we might have an opportunity with the 2nd round but it didn't work out and we're excited to get AJ

Q: Where do you see Deguara lining up?
Gutey: Everywhere. in line, backfield, fullback, H-back. A very smart kid. Both these guys are exactly the kind of culture guy we're looking to build and the versatility is something we're looking for.

Q: Is there a theme or common thread in the group?
Gutey: All offensive players (wasn't necessarily by design). Got a couple skill positions on the roster today which the way the team looked was important for us. We've added a lot to our offense the last two days.

Q: Have you talked to Rodgers yet?
Gutey: Yeah, I spoke with Aaron last night; As I've always told you, conversations with players are between us, but I did get a chance to speak with him.

Q: RB and H-back, does this make the offense more of a run-oriented thing?
Gutey: Matt certainly wants to run the all; he's talked to you guys repeatedly about that. We wanted to add versatile pieces.. AJ is boviously a big brusing back with speed. Something something about being creative and using him more in the passing game; he didn't do a lot of that but he has the ability. Something something Deguara versatile

Q: Is moving to the run game a desire to move away from the meshing of the MLF scheme and blending it with things AR was comfortable?
Gutey: No, not really. We're always going to tailor what we do to the guys on the team, but with the run game and the pass game building off of that, we're always going to look... something.

Q: QB of the future, RB could replace Jones, and an H=back; long0-term investment, but did you think about being more aggressive to use Rodgers' time to get him more weapons?
Gutey: gotta weigh both of those but both picks we made today will help us in the short-term. A lot has been made of taking a QB in round one and how that affects Aaron; it doesn't really affect him. He's still our QB. Today, we got him weapons that cna help immediately.

Q: Are these long-term or potentially helping as rookies?
Gutey: there's potential for that. It'll take a little time and they gotta put in the work, but we like both these guys and they're talented enough to contribute right away.

Q: Were you surpised by the blowback?
Gutey: mumbles; I sort of knew when we made the decision that the way the media is there'd be some things, but inside the building I didn't see it like that.

Q: AJ, November, December, big back, dominant force?
Gutey: Yeah, I think he had that, but what people don't realize is how athletic he is. Will be used more in the passing game than BC did. He's built to last, has a lot of production over three years. We had Lacy here for a few years and I think he's that kind of back

Q: Did you try to move up in 2 for a WR?
Gutey: we looked at some things to see if it was possible; a lot of things involved extra (?) (next year?) picks because of where we were. There weren't good options to move up because of where we were sitting.

Q: Do you see Deguara taking Danny's role?
Gutey: he can do a lot of those things, but he's maybe more versatile than that. I don't want to compare him to anyone, but as he learns, he'll be on the field for more snaps than that

Q: Did you wanna go offense or is that just where the board fell
Gutey: a little bit of both; strong offensive draft and where the team is, we've invested a lot on defense.At the same time, gotta do the work, be honest with it, and not try to force it.

Q: workflow in weird time
Gutey: gotten into a good rhythm. nothing like being in the room, but the communication has been really clean. Yada yada preparation

Q: What signal or sense of urgency did you send? These guys were noth projected to go tonight, what made you feel confident to move for them?
Gutey: they were the highest guys on our board; we were excited. We didn't feel we could get these guys later?

Q: How raw is Deguara as a blocker? Is he ready to play that role?
Gutey: Yeah, he is. Tough kid, very very smart, will pick it up quickly, really excels at movement blocks that MLF does

Q: Say more about Aaron
Gutey: I never talk about conversations with players, Aaron's a pro's pro.
Q: So you don't anticipate it being a problem?
Gutey: no, He's always been a pros pro, I know how he works and he's always been a good teammate, so no.

Q: No fourth round pick...
Gutey: 6 picks tomorrow; we'll hit the phones and see if there's anything out there, there may be something that intrigues us to go up; but we feel good with the picks we have, too; the board is pretty strong where we sit

Q: Mentioned you're not privvy to the blowback, but there is a lot. How happy are you about social distancing?
Gutey: hahaha, it's funny how the reactions--especially for the draft and free agency; I saw it with TT for years how people were all over him, but what matters is the team we put out there each fall and I'm most concerned with that, not how we get there.

Q: AJ DIllon is a lot like Henry, testing, and MLF coached him; did we talk about that?
Gutey: We don't look at those guys as similar; I know they're both big backs, but they're different styles and I don't think either of us looked at him in that mold

Q: When did you seespeak to AJ in person?
Gutey: combine, size/speed/athleticism, had a chance to have him do some stuff he didn't do like run routes, catch the football; he really changed the way I looked at him a little bit.

Q: Uncertainty about offseason, are you and your staff looking at the situation where you might have 2 drafts before hitting the football field?
Gutey: No, we're preparing as if we're going to play the regular season; haven't put a lot of thought into not playing games this year. After the draft we may move forward looking at contingency plans, but free agency and the draft are approached as if we're playing this year.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Or by 2nd draft the supplimental draft, which is likely to be WAY more important this year. A decent % of next years draft is going to instead go this year in the supplimental.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

British wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:06
I'm a little surprised he hasn't been seen in his house when we are on the clock these past 2 nights.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

It's surreal we've spent three picks on O, and yet feel like we haven't gotten much better on O for this season... :messedup:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 01:03
It's surreal we've spent three picks on O, and yet feel like we haven't gotten much better on O for this season... :messedup:
Its not that you feel that way. Its the reality of matter. This team didnt get better. If anything they got worse or remained neutral. Our competition in the NFC... You can guarantee they got better.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Gonna put my overall thoughts on our draft thus-far here...

(I do not like the QB pick. I will elaboate on that later in the thread designated for that pick.)

I don't think either of the two offensive skill-player picks are poor prospects or draft value from what I'm reading about them (I do question the value of the TE somewhat, but it's not a big deal). I just don't think using up our Day 2 draft capital on O skill-players was appropriate for this team's situation, especially not when we traded up our 1st for our QB-of-the-Future.

The 9ers absolutely gashed us out of the playoffs. The blueprint on how to beat this team is very clear. I don't see how we are equipped to not let that happen again, especially with the league seemingly moving back to a run-emphasis. Sure, you can make the argument that an offense that controls the ball better helps take the load off of the defense, and of course, scoring helps, too...

... yet that somehow doesn't seem like adequate help for a unit that was SO BAD at stopping the run that the opposing QB that bounced us from the playoffs did not even make a double-digit number of pass attempts for his team to beat us.

Worse, there does not appear to be much young talent already on the roster whose progression could potentially solve this problem. Kingsley Keke, maybe builds off of what he flashed in pre-season and provides a nice complement to Clark, and mayyyybe between Kirksey, Greene and Bolton we have an ILB corps. that is serviceable. This just does not inspire much confidence.

Hey, good for LaFleur if he's getting the offense closer to his ideal. It's just not going to matter much if the D that can't stop anyone.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Gonna put myself in Guty’s and MLF’s shoes.

Round 1: This is obviously where you want a guy who can make significant impact to your team. That can be immediately, or in cases where an elite player is in the position, take a guy with all the potential in the world. He will get his opportunities. This week, I wanted a premier ILB or a special WR in round 1. But a guy that I really feel could be our next elite QB was on the board and ready for the taking. Yeah, he probably won’t play this year. But I won’t get this opportunity to draft our next QB as long as we get deep into the playoffs. We have him rated as somewhat raw, but he has all of the natural tools and he can throw every route. Did I just say he can throw every route? To all parts of the field? Do people realize how FEW of the QBs can do that? OK, he is the guy. He has the talent level. He’s the pick. Done. Feel good about it too.

Round 2: The defensive guys we considered aren’t there at this point. But there are a couple of offensive pieces that’ll actually diversify our team. This RB looks like he can move tacklers. I’d love to see him take some swing passes in open field too. He adds to a position group that’ll change next year and he will make it more diverse this year too. He isn’t highly rated by some. But he can add to the offense now and he solidifies the group for 2021. Done.

Round 3: Just about the same as round 2. A solid, not spectacular TE would help us a great deal. He fits what MLF wants to do in his scheme. How is it we’re finding these two guys who fit what the HC wants to do so well? This must be my lucky day. Yeah, he’ll rotate with the TEs. But he can already do more than Tonyan. And as an H-back, he’ll probably get more snaps than one of the other TEs. He has good value. Done.

See, in Guty’s shoes, this has been a good draft. They have a plan. And players are there that fit what they want to do. This is not as spectacular as many want. But it’s truly checking off the right boxes. Good job, Guty. I wouldn’t have made the picks that you did. But I can appreciate what you’re doing and I’m willing to see how well it works by December and January.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

he took a TE in the 3rd last year, now he needs another, who he is raving about, my impression is he is fixing last years foiled pick, and now he acts as though we don't know that with what he expects of this TE will take 2 years to coach up.

how much better can this RB do catching the ball then Jones, basically this whole draft so far is about replacing Rodgers Jones and Sternberger, I don't buy any of this talk about either of Dillion or this TE helping this offense this year, we already have more of what either can bring already on the roster, this talk of winning now, and Rodgers is a pro, we've helped him a lot is pure BS, he had WR's that would have actually helped Rodgers prior to every pick, he passed and instead reached for every one besides a player that would help Rodgers.