Official 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 - NO SPOILERS!!!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:18
Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:17
TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:13

Thought the same thing. Guy is too slow for coverage. Don't look like he can turn very well.
He is too slow for coverage?
I think people read the NFL.com write-up and are taking that as the end all be all...
We can't really know. He wasn't a combine invite and there isn't a ton of scout report on him.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I picked him in the contest, but in round 7. YoHo got the right round, but wrong selection.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:13

Thought the same thing. Guy is too slow for coverage. Don't look like he can turn very well.
Between the ears. Or at least that's everything I'm reading.
Everything? You mean just NFL.com?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Waldo wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:15
Lets not forget the supplemental draft which figures to be absolutely massive.

The NCAA is going to be far, far more conservative than the NFL when it comes to playing games. While the NFL can certainly go to fan-less TV only, the NCAA is far less likely to do so. If it isn't certain the season is going to happen mostly normal by the time the supplemental deadline hits, there is going to be a massive surge of players declaring for it, and a decent % of the 2021 draft is going to happen in the 2020 supplemental draft.
I'll believe that when I see it. I'm certainly not going to COUNT on us using next year's picks to address a need in an unconventional manner that MAY be forced into action by the virus and may not.

I like the players we have drafted for the most part. But failing to add a dynamic pass catcher this offseason is a major and legitimate failure. It's one piece that could be sprinkled in and make a huge difference from day one. It's not THE ONLY PIECE we needed. But it is a key need that was readily available. Other teams manipulated the draft board to meet value and need and we weren't able to. It's a massive missed opportunity.

And now that that opportunity has closed, it's weighing on me. I had hope right up through the Texans taking Coulter, the Bears trading up to swipe Mooney 2 picks before us, our pick of a run-only LB two picks before the Jets took a more athletic LB, and another couple picks before DPJ went off the board. The opportunity is over. And I am deflated and I think that's totally fair.

But HEY! We got my OL!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:19
Pckfn23 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I think people read the NFL.com write-up and are taking that as the end all be all...
We can't really know. He wasn't a combine invite and there isn't a ton of scout report on him.
EXACTLY! Let's slow our role here a bit. Go watch some real film on him and come back later with a real report.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:20
Other teams manipulated the draft board to meet value and need and we weren't able to. It's a massive missed opportunity.
Its something Gutey specifically said he was looking forward to doing. Either the opportunities didn't align or he absolutely got gun shy after Round 1.

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Pckfn23 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

NFL, Forbes, Bleacher Report, SBNation
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:22
YoHoChecko wrote:
Other teams manipulated the draft board to meet value and need and we weren't able to. It's a massive missed opportunity.
Its something Gutey specifically said he was looking forward to doing. Either the opportunities didn't align or he absolutely got gun shy after Round 1.
A lot more different this year that's for sure.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
Yeah, the value aspect of this draft really has me down, and I don't even mean reaches or anything, because how do we know--especially this year--what NFL team boards looked like. But there has been very poor manipulation of the board. We didn't get what we needed to out of this. I won't criticize the PLAYERS for who they aren't, but I will criticize the overall draft class for what it missed.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Dang, an ILB I really like, Shaun Bradley, just went to Philly. He's Temple Tough and FAST. The rest you'd have to work on.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
Or, not to be Debby downer...but gutey likes to say things that the fans want to hear, and then...as any gm should...he does what he wants!
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:24
NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
You consider that in his first draft, this is the guy who traded back in the first, then traded back up, still got Jaire Alexander, and basically turned a 3rd round pick into a 1st the next year.

This is a guy who made sure we got the S and OL help we needed with players he liked last year.

And this year, the board just didn't fall right? Look, it didn't. It fell close to a worst case scenario by my eyes, and I said so at the time. But part of your job as GM is to get yourself into the right places. We moved for a QB and then sat there and took it the rest of the time. We didn't get what we needed. I'm sad. Even though we now have TWO of the FIVE guys I put on my "Guys I want to Add this weekend"
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 25 Apr 2020 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Waldo wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:15
Lets not forget the supplemental draft which figures to be absolutely massive.

The NCAA is going to be far, far more conservative than the NFL when it comes to playing games. While the NFL can certainly go to fan-less TV only, the NCAA is far less likely to do so. If it isn't certain the season is going to happen mostly normal by the time the supplemental deadline hits, there is going to be a massive surge of players declaring for it, and a decent % of the 2021 draft is going to happen in the 2020 supplemental draft.
I'll believe that when I see it. I'm certainly not going to COUNT on us using next year's picks to address a need in an unconventional manner that MAY be forced into action by the virus and may not.

I like the players we have drafted for the most part. But failing to add a dynamic pass catcher this offseason is a major and legitimate failure. It's one piece that could be sprinkled in and make a huge difference from day one. It's not THE ONLY PIECE we needed. But it is a key need that was readily available. Other teams manipulated the draft board to meet value and need and we weren't able to. It's a massive missed opportunity.

And now that that opportunity has closed, it's weighing on me. I had hope right up through the Texans taking Coulter, the Bears trading up to swipe Mooney 2 picks before us, our pick of a run-only LB two picks before the Jets took a more athletic LB, and another couple picks before DPJ went off the board. The opportunity is over. And I am deflated and I think that's totally fair.

But HEY! We got my OL!
If there is not a widely available vaccine by mid-late summer, in-person football will not happen this fall. Period. The likelihood of a widely available vaccine in 2020 is incredibly low.

Major programs are the only ones that have any broadcast presence whatsoever. NCAA is in person first, broadcast second, unlike the NFL, which could play fanless games without issue.

In person sports and concerts were the first things canceled and will be the last things reopened.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:30
NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Or, not to be Debby downer...but gutey likes to say things that the fans want to hear, and then...as any gm should...he does what he wants!
I don’t think that’s being a downer. I think that’s just a fact. He is very unapologetic as every GM should be.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
NCF wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
Nah, in each of his first two drafts he manipulated the board to meet needs very well. It was as much of a strength as actual player selection, which still has yet to be fully determined. That's a thing he's done, a thing he can do, and a thing he didn't get done this year.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:24
NCF wrote:

You consider that in his first draft, this is the guy who traded back in the first, then traded back up, still got Jaire Alexander, and basically turned a 3rd round pick into a 1st the next year.

This is a guy who made sure we got the S and OL help we needed with players he liked last year.

And this year, the board just didn't fall right? Look, it didn't. It fell close to a worst case scenario by my eyes, and I said so at the time. But part of your job as GM is to get yourself into the right places. We moved for a QB and then sat there and took it the rest of the time. We didn't get what we needed. I'm sad. Even though we now have TWO of the FIVE guys I put on my "Guys I want to Add this weekend"
His first draft, first round was a work of brilliance. And at the time, getting Josh Jackson in the second, made it all look even better there up top. I'm still holding out for Jackson, I just don't think we play the D he specializes in.

This year, yeah, very little movement. I was actually surprised it took so long for the first trade in the first round by anyone.

Some teams are killing it this year though.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

NFL, Forbes, Bleacher Report, SBNation
I haven't found a scouting report from the latter 3...

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 15:35
His first draft, first round was a work of brilliance. And at the time, getting Josh Jackson in the second, made it all look even better there up top. I'm still holding out for Jackson, I just don't think we play the D he specializes in.

This year, yeah, very little movement. I was actually surprised it took so long for the first trade in the first round by anyone.

Some teams are killing it this year though.
Agreed on many fronts. Jackson isn't a nickel/inside CB. He's an outside CB that needs safety help; perfect for a cover-3. All the teams running the Seattle style D could better use him.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Vikings with 3 picks before us here.
RIP JustJeff

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Minnesota trades again