Jordan Love Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Nov 2021 18:48
34 passes, 25 runs...are the run was clearly working.

Lafleur sabotoged Love so the Org will feel pressure to keep Rodgers.

Lafleur knows who butters his biscuits
Yeah you want those numbers flipped.

This is becoming a problem with MLF. The next day he always says "That's on me. I need to run it more like I planned going into the game"

I mean this is beyond McCarthy's pad level talk.

Obviously it was a bad game from the passing attack department. But I just felt the game plan and blocking assignments didn't help the passing attack at all. Like make it easy for your QB.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2021 19:20
Drj820 wrote:

This is becoming a problem with MLF. The next day he always says "That's on me. I need to run it more like I planned going into the game"

Obviously it was a bad game from the passing attack department. But I just felt the game plan and blocking assignments didn't help the passing attack at all. Like make it easy for your QB.
He needs to hire an offensive assistant that their only job is to say on the headset after each play "remember you want to run the ball", then Lafleur can take that reminder and do what he wants...but he needs the reminder that he said he was going to do that.

Also maybe mix in a "they are blitzing 6 guys, dont go empty set"
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

bud fox wrote:
08 Nov 2021 18:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Nov 2021 18:40
bud fox wrote:
08 Nov 2021 18:38

He was bad. No one evaluates a QB per play and says well he did have some good plays - you are evaluated on a whole performance.

It was much worse than what we have come to expect from the packers starting QB.
If you are not evaluating each play, then you aren't evaluating.
Was it a bad GAME by Love?
Jesus H….
Just stop

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

JKB wrote:
08 Nov 2021 19:43
bud fox wrote:
08 Nov 2021 18:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Nov 2021 18:40

If you are not evaluating each play, then you aren't evaluating.
Was it a bad GAME by Love?
Jesus H….
Just stop
What a silly comment - if you followed the dialogue you know there is a back and forth.

If you don't want to be involved just don't follow the thread. Basically the convo was over with 23 saying Yes to that question but you feel the need to bring it back up.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

bud fox wrote:
08 Nov 2021 15:02
go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2021 14:25
The stadium must have been REALLY loud because you can see our Tackles got SMOKED all the time yesterday. The Chiefs D Ends got such good jumps on the snap.
The tackles were fine. Love has no pocket movement. He can't resettle in the pocket. Once he moves off the drop it's bootleg.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2021 19:20
Drj820 wrote:

At least we have an answer on who's calling those plays. It's not just Rodgers checking to a pass every time. MLF has to do better. Jones and Dillon can win games too, not just Adams.

Young coach stuff officially wearing off. Won't be an excuse next season.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Those run/pass breakdown numbers are a bit misleading. The offense was behind schedule on many of their drives/down sequences hence requiring more pass calls. They were also facing 9+ defenders in the box that prompted Love to switch to a pass call. Hell, that happened on the first offensive play. Then being down two scores late in the game also required pass calls.

Yeah, I too wish they’d have run more but the run/pass mix wasn’t that one-sided and circumstances justify why more passes were called.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

BF004 wrote:
08 Nov 2021 22:00
bud fox wrote:
go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2021 14:25
The stadium must have been REALLY loud because you can see our Tackles got SMOKED all the time yesterday. The Chiefs D Ends got such good jumps on the snap.
The tackles were fine. Love has no pocket movement. He can't resettle in the pocket. Once he moves off the drop it's bootleg.
Yeah but if Rodgers sits on his drop instead of stepping up we see alot more pressures every week. The packers create an Arc for Rodgers to move up into the pocket and around - basically giving up outside wide rush.

Not many QBS can do this - Rodgers is the best at this and it is a massive help for the oline.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Love played bad. As a QB performance in a NFL game, that was not acceptable. And a lot of that is on him. I have no problem saying that.

I still do not understand people who enjoy Love, or any Packer, having a bad game. But then, I don't understand people who let their draft predictions or other self-centered opinions get in the way of supporting the team. Who pop up from the dirt like mushrooms after rain to only post when the Packers lose to yell "LOOK, I WAS RIGHT, PAT MY BACK!". I guess there has to be some fun in that, but it's definitely not for me. Like, I got the Kenny Clark pick right in a mock once, he's my biggest favorite on D, and think he's not getting the buzz or league-wide respect he should due to his non-sexy responsibilities as a NT, and due to being a quiet individual. But I can't even imagine rooting for our other DL to suck, or enjoying if they have bad games, so that Clark would look better. Instead, I was super happy Slayton and others had a good game when Kenny went down. It was good for the Packers.

Love having a bad game was in no way a good thing for the team you support. We lost, that's not good for the Packers. If you're an AR fan, it was not good for his chances at homefield advantage to get him another ring. Love's trade value likely went down a bit, that's not good for the Packers if we end up keeping AR long term and trading Love away. If AR wants out after the season, it's not a good thing the successor inspired no confidence.

The decision to move on from AR or not was not up to this game. It's just a small piece of the evaluation process. Patrick Mahomes had a BAD game, he was badly off and unable to run at home, versus a D that missed top 2 of it's CBs, top pass rusher, and then lost top inside pressure man. With the weapons he has, he shoulda carved us up, but I don't think anyone is going to say Mahomes is doomed to suck for all the rest of his career because he did bad in this one game.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

APB wrote:
08 Nov 2021 23:05
Those run/pass breakdown numbers are a bit misleading. The offense was behind schedule on many of their drives/down sequences hence requiring more pass calls. They were also facing 9+ defenders in the box that prompted Love to switch to a pass call. Hell, that happened on the first offensive play. Then being down two scores late in the game also required pass calls.

Yeah, I too wish they’d have run more but the run/pass mix wasn’t that one-sided and circumstances justify why more passes were called.
That's why I think the thing that killed us in this game wasn't not running more (although maybe we could've done little more of it), but failing at our blitz-beaters. Running into a blitzing heavy front is NOT gonna go well, no matter who is at RB.

Pretty sure those who say "just run Dillon until they stop him" would change their tune quick if we bone-headedly ran him into a wall of defenders and would go "why didn't we pass now that Dillon has forced them into a run-stopping front"... :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:

I thought about this a lot too. Except I can't understand why we were so successful against it anyways. Did they not blitz and fill the box so much in the 1st and 2nd quarter?

How come AJ Dillon was so successful on his runs when given the opportunity?

I always thought doing the screen pass was actually a very hard pass to make. Aaron Jones should have been far more involved in the screen game. He would have carved that blitz up if we could just get that ball to him behind the LB's.

Ultimately, Love needed to execute the screen passes better and didn't. Because he couldn't, the Chiefs just pinned their ears back.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:
09 Nov 2021 00:35
BF004 wrote:
08 Nov 2021 22:00
bud fox wrote:

Yeah but if Rodgers sits on his drop instead of stepping up we see alot more pressures every week. The packers create an Arc for Rodgers to move up into the pocket and around - basically giving up outside wide rush.

Not many QBS can do this - Rodgers is the best at this and it is a massive help for the oline.
both Patrick and Newman where like a swinging door, how the hell can Love sit in the pocket when the pressure was coming through the B gaps like a sieve, there is no stepping up in that situation, there is only the ability to scramble out, which Rodgers himself would have done..

lots of people blaming Love for just about anything they can think of, most of it is BS, sure Love needs to do better, Lafluer needs to game plan better, both did better in the 4th qrt.

28 pressures to some people means nothing, why cause they have a agenda to hate on Love.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:

will you just stop this nonsense, just because you see 9 guys at the los pre snap doesn't mean they rushed all 9, which they only did several times, they found the weak spot (B gap) blew Newman and Patrick open and brought a free rusher, sometimes two and that created 28 pass pressures, both where the lowest graded offensive players, they where better at run blocking, but not much

once Lafluer switched to more RO there defense had to play more honest and respect those short second level zones and Love had more time to throw, problem is Lafluer didn't start doing that till the 4th quarter, Lafluers game plan sucked from the start, he admited that, yet some here don't believe him, go rewatch the game.
Last edited by Yoop on 09 Nov 2021 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Realist wrote:
08 Nov 2021 18:25
Put Love on another team filling in for a game and objectively evaluate him. What separates him from just a guy? A first round pick as well.
Perhaps that's the point. If, on his debut, he looks like "just a guy", then how good is he going to be when he gets more experience? If you compare him today with present-day Rodgers, he was way below par. If you compare him with present-day average QB, he was below par. If you compare him with "just a guy" career backup, that's the level you put him at. If you compare him with a rookie who has never seen any meaningful action, he did pretty well IMO. (Certainly worse than Favre on his first meaningful action, but certainly better than Rodgers on his.)

First quarter, he stunk.
Second quarter, hardly any better.
Third quarter, definite signs of improvement.
Fourth quarter, he looked a competent QB.

There's a progression.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

dsr wrote:
09 Nov 2021 05:33
Realist wrote:
08 Nov 2021 18:25
Put Love on another team filling in for a game and objectively evaluate him. What separates him from just a guy? A first round pick as well.
Perhaps that's the point. If, on his debut, he looks like "just a guy", then how good is he going to be when he gets more experience? If you compare him today with present-day Rodgers, he was way below par. If you compare him with present-day average QB, he was below par. If you compare him with "just a guy" career backup, that's the level you put him at. If you compare him with a rookie who has never seen any meaningful action, he did pretty well IMO. (Certainly worse than Favre on his first meaningful action, but certainly better than Rodgers on his.)

First quarter, he stunk.
Second quarter, hardly any better.
Third quarter, definite signs of improvement.
Fourth quarter, he looked a competent QB.

There's a progression.
we all know constant pass rush pressure will stymie almost any QB, at minimum it will force him to scramble and often simply throw the ball away, at worst it causes turn overs, Love had one pick and probably should have had another, otherwise he protected the ball pretty well and KC recorded 28 pass pressures, and most of those rushes arrived and forced Love to react to them in under a 3 count, not many QB's would do well under those circumstances.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I do find it interesting how people are super eager to call Week 1's performance vs the Saints a "preseason game that doesn't count" and given a pass but not wanting to give Love the same treatment.

He needs to grow a lot. He needed to beat the blitz which they knew was coming. But we also did see improvement in the passing game as the game went on.

Ultimately, I'm just mad we didn't because the defense provided a carrying the team on its back performance.
Last edited by go pak go on 09 Nov 2021 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
09 Nov 2021 05:44
I do find it interesting how people are super eager to call Week 1's performance vs the Saints a "preseason game that doesn't count" and given a pass but not wanting to give Love the same treatment.
there Rodgers worshipers :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
09 Nov 2021 05:49
go pak go wrote:
09 Nov 2021 05:44
there Rodgers worshipers :rotf:
I hate that term because apparrently I am an Aaron Rodgers hater which is ridiculous.

I just want to be objective. I am all for saying Love had a bad game. Because he did. But I also think we need to include that the coaching staff and Oline let Jordan Love down a lot. They didn't help him.

I also want to say it was his first start and this therefore has no bearing on future results and no decision should be made based on this one game.

I do see a lot of bias in this thread and I would like us to get away from that.

Like even yoop, I am agreeing with a lot more of what you're saying lately, but that shouldn't be because it is rooted in a vaccination shot. It should be rooted in playing data and general observations.
Yoop wrote:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Lets get 1 thing straight. The Packers can't keep Rodgers long term. The man will be 38 years old next month. He is already past the age when most QB's are in serious decline or have already retired. Only Brady has been effective after 37 years old. What good is having generational wealth if he does not have kids and grandkids to give it to - and that appears to be his priority now. If Rodgers is forced to choose between getting vaccinated every 3 months (as is in all our futures) and having a healthy child, he is going to retire.

And then there is the $46 million the Packers have to pay next year if they keep Rodgers. They can't force him to restructure, and they can't keep Adams and 2 more high salaried starter, probably Z and Tonyan if they keep Rodgers. Probably can't keep Preston and resign Alexander either.

The most that any team can hope for is 2 good years from Rodgers after this season. Odds are not even 2. Please explain to me, those of you that are considering whether Love should be traded, who will start in September 2023. Benkert? Bortles or someone like him? Or a QB who will be 40 in a few months and costs $40 million + in cap?

Like it or not Love is the Packers QB next season. And if the Packers go 8-9 next season with Love, that is a damn sight better than going 2-15 for the next 3-5 years starting in 2023. As those of us who were Packers fans in the 1980's can remember all too well.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote: