Browns @ Packers GDT: Saturday, December 25th, 2021; 3:30pm CST

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I mean the way I look at it is this: we kinda stunk today. I mean this was a C-grade performance. Some bright spots, obviously, including Rodgers just placing the ball into ridiculous places again. But we lived and died by some big plays and lucky calls/no-calls on both sides of the ball. We just laid an egg.

And our C-level performance from a banged-up, depleted roster was still good enough to hang in and defeat a playoff-contending team.

We're going to hear a lot of "if they play like that in the playoffs..." talk this week, beacuse it's true. We would lose this game to better teams. But we also have to know and to remember (or realize) that this was not the typical performance of this team. Even if it feels like a trend of letting teams back in it and whatnot, we have only played THIS badly like 3 or 4 games this year out of 15. And we still got the win.

So cheers to the Packers, cheers to Christmas, and cheers to the "we don't believe in the Packers" narrative gaining national momentum today and fueling our playoff run.

:beer2:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Dec 2021 18:37
Ugly win, but on other hand, 12-3 looks mighty fine. :banana: :beer2: :banana:

I love it when the talking heads drum up how injured our opponents are. Meanwhile we had LT4 out there for a few plays :messedup:
We want Dallas....We want Dallas....We want Dallas!!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I dont wanna hear from Joe Buck, Joe Blow, or any other talking head blowing smoke about how the refs robbed the Browns.

You throw four picks, 99% of the time...you lose the game. Period.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Dec 2021 19:47
I dont wanna hear from Joe Buck, Joe Blow, or any other talking head blowing smoke about how the refs robbed the Browns.

Well, when one of those picks is because the WR was knocked down by the defensive player 10 yards down the field..................

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Raptorman wrote:
25 Dec 2021 20:14
Drj820 wrote:

Well, when one of those picks is because the WR was knocked down by the defensive player 10 yards down the field..................
I think there were potentially callable penalties on 2 of the INTs, but let's be clear here: no one was knocked down on any of them.

There was some jersey grabbing going on within the normal allowable contact and both times there was enough of a tug to impede the route. I don't think it necessarily made the difference on the plays--might have--but both could have been called, certainly.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

That was bad. I understand having bad games but that defensive game plan was awful. 2 weeks in a row now they have played soft and passive. I dont understand the approach. These wrs the last 2 weeks are trash and GB is playing like its Justin Jefferson.
Chubb is good but not 9 yards a carry good. Why the Browns even threw the ball 1 time in the 2nd half is the real joke bc they were nit going to be stopped. Gary and Smith were terrible setting the edge (more a coaching prob here again)

The O went turtle in the 2nd half. Back to back 3 and outs when in the 2nd Q they could do no wrong.

Still got the win. And I'll never feel bad bc we have been screwed plenty also. 12-3. I think these issues can be cleaned up.... I really do and maybe this sad ass game will light that fire again. It starts with coaching and getting these guys in the best position to succeed. I'm concerned but thus team has the tools.

GPG. Next week is a real scrap

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

It seems like the identity of this team is “we will find a way to win”…. or even if it is close “we’ll figure out a way to win it”. Going into the playoffs this is a bad approach. The team needs to find some consistency throughout all three phases of the game. Or… I’m not going to say it.
GO PACK GO!!!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TJ Slayton is a good player.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Nice win but I am starting to worry about our defense. They had no answers for the Browns offense. Fortunately Baker stepped in and provided an answer.

But this is 2 games in a row where we couldn't really stop them very well.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Could only see the 2nd half, so cut me some slack. We are still winning which is :aok: but the how makes me :dunno:. As tx points out: our defense looks regressing and our offense was unable once again to lock the game away despite 3 INTs?

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Like some have said, why did the D change philosophy? Seems like they started the season playing soft and got burned too many times. Then they buckled up with a little pressure on the edge and the D was suddenly transformed. Now, the last two games they go soft again and it's just a "control the damage" (which hardly controls the damage at all) type of D and teams move the ball freely again.

I have to believe this is a temporary measure and that the D will play closer in January again. You can't give Brady and good QBs open spaces to throw to like this and expect to win. But then, if we can manage to steal a few balls... (Oh yeah, did that last year against Brady and still lost.)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I just finished the replay of the game. I couldn't help but think that this game was a lot like the NFC Championship last year. Whereas the Browns didn't have what it took to finish the game, the Bucs did. Even getting 4 turnovers from the Browns was almost not enough.

Maybe a team will still win more than half of the games like this. Maybe. But you can't let a very good running team come and dominate your defense on your home field and expect that to raise confidence one bit.

At least this Packer squad can no longer rely on thinking "We'll just do better than last January against the Bucs." This weekend proved that they need to do better than that. It'll only get tougher from here. And those stellar weeks in the middle of this season are gone.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
26 Dec 2021 06:43
I just finished the replay of the game. I couldn't help but think that this game was a lot like the NFC Championship last year. Whereas the Browns didn't have what it took to finish the game, the Bucs did. Even getting 4 turnovers from the Browns was almost not enough.

Maybe a team will still win more than half of the games like this. Maybe. But you can't let a very good running team come and dominate your defense on your home field and expect that to raise confidence one bit.

At least this Packer squad can no longer rely on thinking "We'll just do better than last January against the Bucs." This weekend proved that they need to do better than that. It'll only get tougher from here. And those stellar weeks in the middle of this season are gone.
Unless Clark plays like the second coming of Reggie White our DL resembles swiss cheese, our edge rushers act as though there 3-4 DE's constantly trapped inside, and we get run over and around for most of the game, putrid.

what has happened with coverage? we either play super soft cushion or we make bone headed mistakes, it's a two fold illness, we can't stop the run, and we can't cover, even when the pass rush gets pressure we allow wide open spaces for receivers to set up shop and kill us with big plays, what was once a top 7 or 8 defense now plays like there battling for last place honors.

the injury's along the OL are catching up to us, our RB's must top the league with yards after contact, and Rodgers while not perfect has been a master at feeling pressure and getting rid of the ball to someone in G & G.

A game like this exposes a lot of issues that need fixing, hopefully Lafluer, Barry, and the rest of the coaches find some answers, a win is a win, ya take em any way ya can get em. :clap:

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Dec 2021 20:22
Raptorman wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I think there were potentially callable penalties on 2 of the INTs, but let's be clear here: no one was knocked down on any of them.

There was some jersey grabbing going on within the normal allowable contact and both times there was enough of a tug to impede the route. I don't think it necessarily made the difference on the plays--might have--but both could have been called, certainly.
I think the commentators were going over the top with looking for penalties. The fourth interception, the hold didn't look to be a big enough pull to pull the man's shirt away from his body. If it hadn't been an interception, it wouldn't have been remarked on. And another one was the false start that turned 4th-and22 to 4th-and-27 - number 77 never flinched, but the centre bobbed his head sharply and then turned it to the left before snapping - definitely a false start, just called on the wrong number.

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

texas wrote:
25 Dec 2021 23:40
Nice win but I am starting to worry about our defense. They had no answers for the Browns offense. Fortunately Baker stepped in and provided an answer.

But this is 2 games in a row where we couldn't really stop them very well.
I agree,

But there is a bright side. It's two games in a row where the other lot had a chance of a game winning drive with a field goal needed to win; and the defence got the stop both times. That's not something we're used to!

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

dsr wrote:
26 Dec 2021 07:27
YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Dec 2021 20:22
Raptorman wrote:

I think the commentators were going over the top with looking for penalties. The fourth interception, the hold didn't look to be a big enough pull to pull the man's shirt away from his body. If it hadn't been an interception, it wouldn't have been remarked on. And another one was the false start that turned 4th-and22 to 4th-and-27 - number 77 never flinched, but the centre bobbed his head sharply and then turned it to the left before snapping - definitely a false start, just called on the wrong number.
By rule, the grabbing of the receiver's shirt is a penalty. At least that's what has been discussed in many other games. It's also benefitted the Pack sometimes. That really should've been a flag. Even so, that doesn't mean that the Browns win the game.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Dec 2021 19:18
36 yards of offense in 24 minutes after we scored for the last time...
After MFL got cute with that failed reverse we never got going again in that game. :messedup:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Dec 2021 19:36
I mean the way I look at it is this: we kinda stunk today. I mean this was a C-grade performance. Some bright spots, obviously, including Rodgers just placing the ball into ridiculous places again. But we lived and died by some big plays and lucky calls/no-calls on both sides of the ball. We just laid an egg.

And our C-level performance from a banged-up, depleted roster was still good enough to hang in and defeat a playoff-contending team.

We're going to hear a lot of "if they play like that in the playoffs..." talk this week, beacuse it's true. We would lose this game to better teams. But we also have to know and to remember (or realize) that this was not the typical performance of this team. Even if it feels like a trend of letting teams back in it and whatnot, we have only played THIS badly like 3 or 4 games this year out of 15. And we still got the win.

So cheers to the Packers, cheers to Christmas, and cheers to the "we don't believe in the Packers" narrative gaining national momentum today and fueling our playoff run.

:beer2:
Yes, plus the better teams find a way to win even if they lay an egg.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
25 Dec 2021 19:44
salmar80 wrote:
25 Dec 2021 18:37
Ugly win, but on other hand, 12-3 looks mighty fine. :banana: :beer2: :banana:

I love it when the talking heads drum up how injured our opponents are. Meanwhile we had LT4 out there for a few plays :messedup:
We want Dallas....We want Dallas....We want Dallas!!
No we don't. Let's hope the Cardinals can find a way to knock them off. They are the lone team that can take the #1 seed away if we falter in the next 2 games.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:

You're right. I was just frustrated when I said earlier we didn't deserve that game. :oops: