Rank the Roster 2020: #18

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 27 May 2020 08:23

Jamaal Williams
6%
Billy Turner
No votes
Alan Lazard
53%
Devin Funchess
18%
Dean Lowry
6%
Oren Burks
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
12%
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
AJ Dillon
6%
Ka'Dar Hollman
No votes
Kingsley Keke
No votes
Raven Greene
No votes
Robert Tonyan
No votes
Josiah Deguara
No votes
Jon Runyan
No votes
Tyler Lancaster
No votes

Total votes: 17

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Myself, I am not sure cutting quality depth to save $2.2 million is a smart business decision. At this point there is almost no chance that Dillon is as good a 3rd down back as Williams.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 28 May 2020 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
28 May 2020 08:40
Yoop wrote:
28 May 2020 08:29
NCF wrote:
28 May 2020 08:12

It isn't.
not in todays sports world.
Right. I should maybe have specified that. $2.2M would go a long way in my household, but not for the Packers salary cap.
heck I don't think I accumulated 1 mil. in all the years I worked combined. :bigcry:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 May 2020 09:46
Myself, I am not sure cutting quality depth to save $2.2 million is a smart business decision. At this point there is almost no chance that Dillon is as good a 3rs down back as Williams.
I agree.

Look, I'm a guy who was actively trying to find ways to squeeze Dillon into my mocks and love the way he fits our team and complements Jones. I am a Dillon believer. But the notion that he's going to beat out Williams off the bat will come down to pass protection, and that simply isn't likely. He has a role--it will cut into Williams' playing time. But he's not going to make the steady back-up RB who excels at pass pro instantly expendable. Getting the nuances of pass protection down as a RB is usually one of the things that tales a year of live practices with very rare exception. RBs can succeed in the NFL right away running the ball, but I think Dillon has an uphill battle to get on and stay on the field early in the season, and his role will expand as we go. Plus, the team REALLY seems to like Williams.

The Packers cap is going to be fine. There will be some tight elements and we may do a bit of tinkering and can-kicking given that the 2020/2021 numbers may be a bit uncertain. But the TV money and the new CBA are still there. We'll figure it out and I'd rather have the 6th round comp pick than the $1.2 million in savings.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

The only way that I could see J-Will getting cut is what I said about Dillon cleaning up his blocking -AND- Dexter Williams plays lights-out in camp and preseason -- not an impossible scenario, but an unlikely one. I think we are likely to keep at least 4 RBs this year: Jones, Dillon, Ervin, and J-Will. The run is going to be of new importance in this offense.

But there also is a reason why J-Will would be the first cut from that group if the other Williams came to play, and it's because his skill-set is relatively replaceable. It makes sense to keep him, but if we didn't have him, we could pretty easily find a RB in free agency right now who could fulfill the same role adequately.

And for that reason, I would not rate him too highly. There are a few players more worthy of votes right now.

As for the post above: Dillon may not start blocking as immaculately as Williams off the bat, but the point is that he can get the job done enough that the difference in how "well" they block -- between beautiful blocking to crude-but-effective -- will be negligible and then Dillon is way more valuable to have on the field in almost every other respect.

But that probably will not happen because LaFleur seems to value Experience(TM) very highly, ala Beav McCarthy.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
28 May 2020 12:38
But that probably will not happen because LaFleur seems to value Experience(TM) very highly, ala Beav McCarthy.
I think a lot of people very much underrate this aspect. It seems quite apparent to me that starting or even playing rookies is sort of a last resort for MLF, though one year is a small sample size and maybe that was circumstantial and maybe it's subject to change. But there is evidence of it.

For instance, Dexter Williams being behind elevated slightly more-experienced PS player Tra Carson, despite remaining on the 53 all year. For instance, Lane Taylor being awarded the starting job over Jenkins last year prior to injury. For instance, Rashan Gary playing less than 250 snaps as a rookie. For instance, Jace Sternberger being behind Robert Tonyan in camp even before his injury. For instance, Kadar Hollman balling out in camp (was routinely rotating in for nickel or dime with the 1s and playing with the 2s) and then disappearing from the gameday active roster.

The only Day One starter was Savage, and we had literally no other options.

I expect big second-year jumps from a lot of players simply due to expanded opportunity.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Maybe being a rookie coach has that effect -- you feel safer going with tested vets and/or fear that inexperienced players will $%@# things up.

It's not totally irrational; look at how Darius Shepherd (sp?) crapped the bed... though I maintain that Shepherd had similar lowlights during preseason that should have warned us.

Still, I hope he gets more comfortable putting first- and second-year guys out there more.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
Dillon may not start blocking as immaculately as Williams off the bat, but the point is that he can get the job done enough that the difference in how "well" they block -- between beautiful blocking to crude-but-effective -- will be negligible and then Dillon is way more valuable to have on the field in almost every other respect.
This very much overrates his current proficiency as a pass blocker. He has the physical attributes to take on blitzers. He lacks agility and know how, getting confused at times or not be unable to get there. Those later 2 are the most imprortant, see Darren Sproles.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 May 2020 16:14
Labrev wrote:
Dillon may not start blocking as immaculately as Williams off the bat, but the point is that he can get the job done enough that the difference in how "well" they block -- between beautiful blocking to crude-but-effective -- will be negligible and then Dillon is way more valuable to have on the field in almost every other respect.
This very much overrates his current proficiency as a pass blocker. He has the physical attributes to take on blitzers. He lacks agility and know how, getting confused at times or not be unable to get there. Those later 2 are the most imprortant, see Darren Sproles.
I think, even by your own provided quotes earlier in the thread, that your analysis understates his proficiency. It seems that primarily, the issue is that when he moves laterally to pick up the blitz, he overruns or doesn't stop his momentum to adjust and react in time. But he is excellent at it while moving forward, and reads things well enough to attempt to be in the right position. And he has the willingness to get in the way and be somewhat effective even when his technique or agility puts him out of position.

I agree with the general premise that this will require a learning curve, but my read on all the analysis I have read and seen is that "he lacks agility and know-how" is an overstatement of his detriments

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 May 2020 15:35
He can be a bit late to slide his feet and give up interior pressure vs. blitzers
Able to sort the rush and find his protection most of the time
Not helping in this matter, his pass blocking has received mixed reviews.
he did miss some blocks due to him not being in the best position or he was just late at times.
I believe he mostly had the know how in college, but things are faster in the NFL and the processing needs to happen quicker. As pointed out about his know how was just a bit lacking at times. As I have said, he is pretty good when he can recognize it and get there. Agility and know how(reading the blitz) are things he needs to improve upon as a pass protector. Those are important things. Him coming into TC and being good enough to supplant Williams is a pipe dream at best. He has the tools and willingness and he just might gain those as the season wears on, but at the start? Not a chance.