Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Plus. I genuinely think Rodgers would feel slighted by a lowball offer from his acquiring team. Carr already moved on because the Jets made him feel like an option, not The Guy.

I know people will say “why would Rodgers want to cripple his new team by costing them a 1st?”

The same reason he crippled his team with the terrible contract we’re dealing with. To feel wanted and appreciated.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
09 Mar 2023 15:29
Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 15:22
There is no way we would ever know this happened or is happening. I think a 1st is likely, but again, I wouldn't be angry/depressed if it doesn't happen exactly like that. I also don't think the Jets are as desperate as they are made out to be.
Their OWNER by all accounts wants Rodgers. Car was the fallback plan. Already gone. You think the GM and coach aren’t desperate to deliver? You think they don’t have a MANDATE to deliver? They absolutely do. Woody Johnson isn’t gonna get embarrassed standing in front of the press saying he will take extraordinary measures to acquire QB only to sign Jimmy G
No, I don't think they are as desperate to sign Aaron Rodgers as you are making them out to be. AND they very well may think Lamar Jackson is a better route to go even giving up more compensation.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

“We don’t have Aaron Rodgers because we just really wanted Paris Johnson Jr in the draft” Is an especially hard sell

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
09 Mar 2023 15:00
Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:36
where was your vision in 2018? thats when we should have traded Rodgers, instead we gave him shut up money and continued to dump money into a defense versus giving him some receiver talent, your not a visionary, every thing you spout depends on hind sight, and like others defend everything Guty does.
Oh c'mon, have all of you forgotten already? I was *the guy* driving the anti-Mac bandwagon in 2018, much like today with Rodgers.

The vision back then was simple, get a new coach who will bring our offense to the modern day, and help Rodgers transition to a style of play that will age well, basically to get someone like LaFleur.

I forgot what my draft vision was, although I may be able to find my mocks on the old site, but I remember wanting us to beef up our Front Seven. Devin Bush was my #1 draft day target if memory servers, but I also had a mock draft with us taking Gary in Round 1 months before the draft.

BTW you didn't explain this:
Labrev wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:04
Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2023 13:19
ya know what was dumb, giving Rodgers a 120 mil. the off season of 2018 when he still had 2 years left on his existing contract, that was just as dumb as giving him 150 mil. last year at this time,
I thought you didn't understand why people complain about his contract. So why was it dumb if the amount of money he gets doesn't matter?
:o
I honestly don't remember what your opinion was back then, what I do remember was that Rodgers was far less a problem then the lack of talent at WR was, if ya don't have the talent to use spread vertical pass schemes then ya need to do something else, so McCarthy was fired, and who knows what Murphy told Rodgers to get him to take that contract which now seems like a pacifier.

Rodgers did what Lafleur was installing, and has in 2021 and 22, I don't know where all this talk originated that he was strill doing McCarthys ol iso verticals, but I don't see that, since when don't teams use deep passing at times, I think people are confusing the need to strike deep in order to force deep coverage to open up underneath routes with what McCarthy used so much of years prior, we have all seen just how well Rodgers is at getting rid of the ball when receivers are open on schedule.

I hear so much talk now that goes against what I witness on the field, people talk of group thinking formulated mostly because people that couldn't pour !@#$ from a boot with instructions on the heel (just for you APB lol) simply agreeing with the best argument made by someone else, that is what I hear in this forum concerning the play of Rodgers since Lafleur was hired.

I have no problem concerning peoples feelings for the guy personally, I don't like most of who he has become either, but I'am no dummy, the Rodgers we say last year is not the QB he still is, people down play the thumb, the inexperience at WR, and just how inconsistent this OL was for all of last season, not just the start, I could go find vids of Myers being pushed back in Rodgers lap all season long, same with Runyan, Newman, even Jenkins, Bahk, people here defend them simply to make Rodgers look worse.

I brought up how our RB's are near tops in the league with Yac, are people so dumb they can't comprehend that is a reflection of lousy run blocking? I guess 2 and 2 isn't 4, at least not according to them.

I hope Rodgers does well no matter what, I hope the same for us with Love, but this whole situation didn't have to happen like this.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 15:35
YoHoChecko wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
There is no way we would ever know this happened or is happening. I think a 1st is likely, but again, I wouldn't be angry/depressed if it doesn't happen exactly like that. I also don't think the Jets are as desperate as they are made out to be.
Their OWNER by all accounts wants Rodgers. Car was the fallback plan. Already gone. You think the GM and coach aren’t desperate to deliver? You think they don’t have a MANDATE to deliver? They absolutely do. Woody Johnson isn’t gonna get embarrassed standing in front of the press saying he will take extraordinary measures to acquire QB only to sign Jimmy G
No, I don't think they are as desperate to sign Aaron Rodgers as you are making them out to be. AND they very well may think Lamar Jackson is a better route to go even giving up more compensation.
Woody Johnson isn't getting any younger how many more years can he wait for a shot at a :lombardi:?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
spot on :lol:

Jets fans don't give a hoot what Woody has to give for Rodgers, Blood will be spilt if Woody reneges simply because he wouldn't do whatever it takes to acquire Rodgers within reason.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

The reason that 12’s contract can be viewed as bad (or worse) is when it is looked at in hindsight. Given that the Packers knew 1) that 12 was coming off 2x MVPs, and 2) the uncertainty at the time of Love’s development, Guty was justifiable in making that contract. And as the market for QBs is now evolving in front of our eyes, it seems that much less back-breaking as we might’ve said last year.

I see Guty as handling very complicated circumstances pretty well. The only way that I think he might’ve done better was if he would’ve signed 12 to a below market contract. Trouble is that 2x MVP assured that was an unrealistic expectation.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2023 15:50
YoHoChecko wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
spot on :lol:

Jets fans don't give a hoot what Woody has to give for Rodgers, Blood will be spilt if Woody reneges simply because he wouldn't do whatever it takes to acquire Rodgers within reason.
I have said for years that because some of us are “owners” of the packers, some feel that criticizing the org is like criticizing themselves. This leads to some giving built in excuses at every turn for poor decisions and outcomes.

The Jets sent the whole Armada to Cali to entice Rodgers. They can’t get a qb at 13, Zach Wilson sucks, carr is gone…they desperately need and want Rodgers. They haven’t done anything to pretend otherwise.

We now just wait to find out if Gutey did what a quality GM would do…get the 13th overall for one of the leagues best QBs.

Remember we just want one…usually a qb of Rodgers talent would haul in about 3 first rounders. But we accept the contract and his age hurts our Compensation…but it should reduce the number of 1s we get, not prohibit us from getting a 1 at all.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Mar 2023 16:01
The reason that 12’s contract can be viewed as bad (or worse) is when it is looked at in hindsight. Given that the Packers knew 1) that 12 was coming off 2x MVPs, and 2) the uncertainty at the time of Love’s development, Guty was justifiable in making that contract. And as the market for QBs is now evolving in front of our eyes, it seems that much less back-breaking as we might’ve said last year.

I see Guty as handling very complicated circumstances pretty well. The only way that I think he might’ve done better was if he would’ve signed 12 to a below market contract. Trouble is that 2x MVP assured that was an unrealistic expectation.
He didn’t have to give him a new contract. He could have told him to come back and play without touching the deal at all. He was already well paid.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Drj820 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:49
German_Panzer wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:43
Drj820 wrote:
09 Mar 2023 14:38
I want him gone too, but not getting a 1 in a world where QBs get what they get is just massive mismanagement and a fumble of resources.
So lets say you are the GM of GB right now and the Jets do not give you a 1st. Do you cancel off the whole thing and take back eccentric Aaron that will be pi**ed at you? I guess I mean: when the Packers went this far, arent they bound to let the deal go thru?
This is just waters for the big fish. Who is the shark, who is the minnow. As bad as we may be ready to part with Rodgers, the Jets are DESPERATE for a qb. Desperate for Rodgers. The fan base already thinks it’s happening. They believe!

Gutey must parlay that desperation into a 1. He must. If not, he got ate in the deep waters.

Here’s what I want:

Jets 13 overall and a 5 while we give Rodgers and a 3.
You might get what you want, but not without the Pack eating a sizable chunk of the current contract.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2023 15:41
I could go find vids of Myers being pushed back in Rodgers lap all season long, same with Runyan, Newman, even Jenkins, Bahk, people here defend them simply to make Rodgers look worse.

I brought up how our RB's are near tops in the league with Yac, are people so dumb they can't comprehend that is a reflection of lousy run blocking? I guess 2 and 2 isn't 4, at least not according to them.

I hope Rodgers does well no matter what, I hope the same for us with Love, but this whole situation didn't have to happen like this.
A. When pressed on this...you will become "too busy" :lol:

B. But more importantly, this continues to support my argument of moving on. Once again the ole talking point of "we had the worst WR group in the NFL and our Oline was swiss cheese". So why would I expect any difference in performance this year based on 1 WR having 8 games on his belt and the hope that Meyers, JRJ and Newman will take the proverbial 3rd or 4th year jump?

Come on people....you can't have one argument saying this offense sucks but then in the next breath say, "I think this same offense in 2023 won't suck"

If there is one thing the people who want to move on have going for them is they keep their arguments consistent. We aren't twising everything to contort to Rodgers.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

wallyuwl wrote:
09 Mar 2023 11:18
YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Mar 2023 09:54
I disagree with everything in that post @wallyuwl

It’s already a year too late.

Aaron Rodgers could not function better than even Andy Dalton with a broken thumb. It was awful. He played poorly and we lost five straight games.

Rodgers is not better for the team in 2023 because Rodgers refuses to adjust his game to account for receivers who lack experience and don’t know his brain inside and out.

Plus we have multiple sources, including a tacit admission himself, saying that Gutey wanted Love playing last year, but he’s the GM, not the coach.
Will AR have a broken thumb in 2023? The receivers won't be rookies anymore. But it would benefit AR and the team if he showed up to non-mandatory workouts/camps. Don't think it will matter, though, looks increasingly likely he will be traded.
I agree with this. If he did come back I think our offense could pleasantly surprise with the developing young weapons we have. But as both a Packers fan and a Rodgers fan, I'd actually be happy for both parties if he moved to a contender. I'd like to see him win another championship, and I also want (obviously) us to do what we can win ASAP.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
09 Mar 2023 16:01

Gute should have grown a pair and told Rodgers to honor his contract he relooked at and signed in 2021 or it's time to move on and deal with those consequences.

Gute gambled on bringing the band back for another crack at it and failed. It was a failure. I understand why he did it. He was so close for 3 years. But he held on one year too long and we are now paying the consequences of a wasted 2022 season, wasted cap space, and wasted draft capital.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

On a separate note, I think that BG deserves to be fired for his hand in creating/handling this whole situation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
09 Mar 2023 16:10
Yoop wrote:
I could go find vids of Myers being pushed back in Rodgers lap all season long, same with Runyan, Newman, even Jenkins, Bahk, people here defend them simply to make Rodgers look worse.

B. But more importantly, this continues to support my argument of moving on. Once again the ole talking point of "we had the worst WR group in the NFL and our Oline was swiss cheese". So why would I expect any difference in performance this year based on 1 WR having 8 games on his belt and the hope that Meyers, JRJ and Newman will take the proverbial 3rd or 4th year jump?

Come on people....you can't have one argument saying this offense sucks but then in the next breath say, "I think this same offense in 2023 won't suck"

If there is one thing the people who want to move on have going for them is they keep their arguments consistent. We aren't twising everything to contort to Rodgers.
your right I'am to busy to go dig up stuff you already know I'am right about :lol:

so you don't believe in 2nd year leaps, all 3 of last years drafted WR's looked to have more then they where able offer as rookies, and we had a coaching change with OL and we I think saw growing pains from that, so ya I expect that can and will be better this season.

and you have contorted and twisted a lot concerning Rodgers in order to make Love more attractive, and I'll be laughing at you and other when Rodgers goes to another team and his play reverts back to prior form, you have over looked every issue I've pointed out as though it shouldn't have affected Rodgers, when we both know it would have affected any QB.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gute had every right to beg Rodgers back last year. None of that means he should have given him a new contract that cripples the team for years to come and marries them to an aging drug user.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Random thought. I wonder if the Packers went into last year not feeling awesome about where Jordan Love was at and if that had to do with the new contract. And here we are a year later and Jordan Love has made the leap similar to what Rodgers did in year 3 of his development.

I think what's about to happen has as much to do with Jordan Love as it does Aaron Rodgers.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
09 Mar 2023 16:25
go pak go wrote:
09 Mar 2023 16:10
Yoop wrote:

your right I'am to busy to go dig up stuff you already know I'am right about :lol:

so you don't believe in 2nd year leaps, all 3 of last years drafted WR's looked to have more then they where able offer as rookies, and we had a coaching change with OL and we I think saw growing pains from that, so ya I expect that can and will be better this season.

and you have contorted and twisted a lot concerning Rodgers in order to make Love more attractive, and I'll be laughing at you and other when Rodgers goes to another team and his play reverts back to prior form, you have over looked every issue I've pointed out as though it shouldn't have affected Rodgers, when we both know it would have affected any QB.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Jets do well with Rodgers. That's why I think Rodgers moving on makes a lot of sense for all parties.

I also don't have high expectations with Love and the Packers this year. I think we can make the playoffs in 2023 but I'm not banking on it. I too think there is reason to be excited for our young WR group but I think we have to be real about our Oline situation. I think this Packers team is similar to the 2008/2009 Packers team. (much closer to 2008). Some exciting things to build around. But we need a few good drafts to start thinking of that next run.

2008 was probably a 10-6 team who just had a lot go against us and went 6-10 instead. We used that to our advantage with a great 2009 draft and we know what happened after that. I think our team is in a similar situation. Some exciting pieces. But we have some rebuilding to do. Our right side of our offensive line right now is pretty bleak. And that isn't going to get fixed simply because a coach has been here another year.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Acrobat wrote:
09 Mar 2023 16:31
Random thought. I wonder if the Packers went into last year not feeling awesome about where Jordan Love was at and if that had to do with the new contract. And here we are a year later and Jordan Love has made the leap similar to what Rodgers did in year 3 of his development.

I think what's about to happen has as much to do with Jordan Love as it does Aaron Rodgers.
I think this is the most logical and accurate description of why the Packers made the decision they made.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Jets know it’s not as simple as “miss on rodgers, we will just grab Jimmy G”

Jimmy G has a real market and it’s gonna be from everybody left without a dance partner. Raiders, Texans, falcons, Jets could all see little Jimmy as their desperation option or a bridge QB until their rookie is ready.

By the time the last dancers bid, he’s gonna make a good amount of money. Might as well throw a ton of money at a Rodgers instead of a good amount of money for a little Jimmy