Do we have a bad, good, or great roster in 2023?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

NCF wrote:
29 Jun 2023 16:32
Half Empty wrote:
29 Jun 2023 16:29
It's been a while, and this is the perfect thread, to remind everyone how much screen space and reading time can be saved by Ignoring one poster (and those that reply to him, generating more posts). Just sayin', it works for me.
If we all do that then we are right back where we started tomorrow. Not sure exactly what you mean. Start ignoring today, and it'll last until you stop. Just once, I want him to say, “Ah, I see. You guys were right.” Certainly agreeThis is one of those times that I will not look the other way. There is no gray area here. Yes, but as long as he gets mileage out trying to counter the facts, he'll keep it up. You'll never convince him, and you don't need to convince anyone else.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
Half Empty wrote:
It's been a while, and this is the perfect thread, to remind everyone how much screen space and reading time can be saved by Ignoring one poster (and those that reply to him, generating more posts). Just sayin', it works for me.
If we all do that then we are right back where we started tomorrow. Just once, I want him to say, “Ah, I see. You guys were right.” This is one of those times that I will not look the other way. There is no gray area here.
why would I do something I know is not true, Read option is a option play just as is RPO just as always has been play action, what your trying to do is tell me one or the other is not a option, for 70 years or better QB's have opted to run or pass out of play action schemes, it's just recently that the term RPO has been used, basically the same with Read option.

as to band width H E, there are on average about 6 to 7 people that post here a stinking day, we don't have a band width problem, hell the vids take up more band width then I ever do., and NO ONE including you has to participate in these convos, what goes on here is unless I conform to the consensus group of book worms in this forum I'am shouted out, NCF I'll never cave to your opinion when your wrong and IMO you are now along with Brandon and anyone else that tells me play action isn't a option play

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 16:50
NCF wrote:
Half Empty wrote:
If we all do that then we are right back where we started tomorrow. Just once, I want him to say, “Ah, I see. You guys were right.” This is one of those times that I will not look the other way. There is no gray area here.
why would I do something I know is not true, Read option is a option play just as is RPO just as always has been play action, what your trying to do is tell me one or the other is not a option, for 70 years or better QB's have opted to run or pass out of play action schemes, it's just recently that the term RPO has been used, basically the same with Read option.

as to band width H E, there are on average about 6 to 7 people that post here a stinking day, we don't have a band width problem, hell the vids take up more band width then I ever do., and NO ONE including you has to participate in these convos, what goes on here is unless I conform to the consensus group of book worms in this forum I'am shouted out, NCF I'll never cave to your opinion when your wrong and IMO you are now along with Brandon and anyone else that tells me play action isn't a option play
Play action is not an option play. Never has been. RPO and Read Option are option plays. They are literally in the name. No QB has EVER opted to run out of play action, ever. The reason being is that it would not be play action, it would a draw play or some other running play.

RPO and Read Option are not the same. RPO has the pass option, Read Option is strictly a run.

This is not about consensus, you are literally arguing against facts. That is why everyone is arguing against you. This isn't opinion.

Show us any source that says play action is an option play. Any one.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 16:23
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
29 Jun 2023 14:54
Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 14:14

to be blunt, it just doesn't play out that way, the RB in play action has to sell the run, that is his job first, then it's blocking or fading out for a dump off, prior to all this he still has to pay attention for the QB signal that he might be given the ball...
No, no, no, the RB can't be given the ball on a play-action. The "action" in play-action is the fake hand off. If the QB actually lets go of the ball, it's a mistake, a broken play.
Trip no's, waaaaaaha, PLay action has been around forever, RO and RPO for a little overt a decade :thwap:
Nice try, but the forward pass wasn't allowed until 1906. Can't have play-action without the forward pass! Hey, look, we've come full circle!
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jun 2023 16:55
No QB has EVER opted to run out of play action, ever.
I never said they do, but they hand the ball to the RB from a play action set, and that makes it a option play, and prior to all this RPO and read option terminology thats how it worked

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 17:22
Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jun 2023 16:55
No QB has EVER opted to run out of play action, ever.
I never said they do, but they hand the ball to the RB from a play action set, and that makes it a option play, and prior to all this RPO and read option terminology thats how it worked
No, they don't. Play action is never a run, that is why it is called play action pass. It is not an option. It has never been an option. Simply put you are confused about all this and wrong. There is no evidence ever that play action is anything but a pass.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 29 Jun 2023 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 16:50
NCF wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

Quote my other post on the bottom of page 7. Find one person. One.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Saying a Play Action can be a run is like saying a fake punt can be a punt. It's just an absurdity.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Would play action be an option if the RB grabbed the ball instead of pretending to take the hand off? It would be the RB's option then, right? Even if it were the last time he ever had that option. :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jun 2023 12:45
Please take a minute to read this on the RPO: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/nfl-fa ... tion-guide
I did, as it says they ran out of the shotgun in run pass option almost every time they pre set in shotgun, I get what RPO and RO is, my point is that play action isn't always a fake to the RB and a pass, we both have seen Rodgers fake a pass and then hand the ball off, all from the same pre set, this article explains it.

you brought it so I assumed you read it

obviously the Rams are running from the same formation to set up play action, I think thats where I'am confused, the play action pass formation is the same as the one they ran to set it up, so the option is they can do either from that look.

https://www.viqtorysports.com/what-does ... -football/

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
29 Jun 2023 21:28

I did, as it says they ran out of the shotgun in run pass option almost every time they pre set in shotgun, I get what RPO and RO is,
Correct RPO is run out of shotgun. Shotgun is not a pass formation in today's NFL. Shotgun allows the QB room to read without being suspectable to DL push. Read Option is different as it can also be run from under center.
my point is that play action isn't always a fake to the RB and a pass,
Your point is incorrect then. Play action is always a fake and then a pass.
we both have seen Rodgers fake a pass and then hand the ball off,
That is a draw play, not play action.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draw_pl ... situations.
A draw play, or simply draw for short, is a type of American football play. The draw is a running play disguised as a passing play.[1] It is the opposite of a play-action pass, which is a passing play disguised as a running play.
Unfortunately I think you are getting stuck on formations. It really isn't about formations, but about play types.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

This is play action:

This is a draw:

These are RPOs:

And this unfortunately is read option:

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

For the next argument, can we debate if the color green is actually the color green?

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Acrobat wrote:
30 Jun 2023 06:42
For the next argument, can we debate if the color green is actually the color green?
Well you see, first we have to define what "green" really means, then we have to assign an upper and lower bound to that definition, and then blah, blah, blah... Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed!
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Just like the QB better pass if it is PA, he'd better hand it off on a draw. Cause as an OL I am inviting the DL to rush. I am going to use DLs momentum against him creating a lane for the RB. By letting the DL go up field, I'm clearing the line of scrimmage so once the RB is past the line he is free and clear. Also your receivers are tearing ass downfield not looking for the ball. So if the QB is looking to throw he's going to get his head taken off.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

All this discussion has done is remind me of how versatile an offense LaFleur runs. It has elements of all the things.

And it's easy to see how someone might get confused, since the whole beauty of an O like LaFleur's is that you can do run, pass, screen, sweep, play-action, RO, RPO, draw or designed QB run from one and same shotgun formation. There's at least potential for deception on majority of plays. No wonder shotgun formation is used so much these days.

I'm personally willing to accept Love taking some hits if it establishes him as a potential runner defenses have to account for. A millisecond of hesitation by a lb make a difference.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
29 Jun 2023 18:42
Saying a Play Action can be a run is like saying a fake punt can be a punt. It's just an absurdity.
really

first off, every term people have used is accurate.

but so is this, and all can be disguised as either one or the other, the term itself "play action" leans to some sort of deviant behavior from the pre set look, the simple act of faking a hand off, or not, can be performed from under center or the gun, and we as fans can't really know much till after the QB gets rid of the ball.

What is the opposite of a play-action pass?

A draw play, or simply draw for short, is a type of American football play. The draw is a running play disguised as a passing play. It is the opposite of a play-action pass, which is a passing play disguised as a running play.

https://www.google.com/search?q=can+pla ... e&ie=UTF-8

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

but so is this, and all can be disguised as either one or the other, the term itself "play action" leans to some sort of deviant behavior from the pre set look, the simple act of faking a hand off, or not, can be performed from under center or the gun, and we as fans can't really know much till after the QB gets rid of the ball.
Why would any of this matter in this discussion? We are discussing plays, the entirety of them. That we can't distinguish anything pre snap is irrelevant. In fact, if defenses can't, that is a bonus. In fact, everything we are and have been talking about is post snap.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Jul 2023 18:35
Why would any of this matter in this discussion? We are discussing plays, the entirety of them. That we can't distinguish anything pre snap is irrelevant. In fact, if defenses can't, that is a bonus. In fact, everything we are and have been talking about is post snap.
because everything can be a option when the QB has the ball in his hands, he can fake a handoff, throw a pass, or run the ball himself, all actions that encompass a play, obviously all have a given name, but to me it's all play- action, and designed to confuse a defense.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It's absolutely wrong to call it all play action.