General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Doing a lot of season reflecting today, but taking that even a step further back to the beginning of the Matt LaFleur era, obviously back-to-back seasons with 13-3 records mean he is doing a lot of things right. I think the most important thing he has done, though, and with attitude and expectation is taking care of the business right in our own backyard.

Matt LaFleur vs NFCN

Bears - 4-0
Lions - 4-0
Vikings - 3-1

That brought me back to the end of the Mike McCarthy era:

McCarthy vs NFC North (2006 - 2016) & (2017 - 2018)

Chicago = 16-6 & 3-1
Detroit = 18-3 & 0-4
Minnesota = 16-6-1 & 0-3-1

Remarkable turnaround.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Jan 2021 15:07
BF004 wrote:
08 Jan 2021 15:03
Savage > Collins
King > Woodson
Redmond > Peprah
You SMOKING CRACK!

Collins >>> Savage
Amos >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Peprah
Woodson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Whoever our Nickel ends up being
Alexander > Shields
Williams >>> King

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Savage over Collins??

RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
08 Jan 2021 15:47
Doing a lot of season reflecting today, but taking that even a step further back to the beginning of the Matt LaFleur era, obviously back-to-back seasons with 13-3 records mean he is doing a lot of things right. I think the most important thing he has done, though, and with attitude and expectation is taking care of the business right in our own backyard.

Matt LaFleur vs NFCN

Bears - 4-0
Lions - 4-0
Vikings - 3-1

That brought me back to the end of the Mike McCarthy era:

McCarthy vs NFC North (2006 - 2016) & (2017 - 2018)

Chicago = 16-6 & 3-1
Detroit = 18-3 & 0-4
Minnesota = 16-6-1 & 0-3-1

Remarkable turnaround.
So basically MLF beat the Lions whereas 17 and 18 McCarthy didn't. :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Capers > Pettine

RIP JustJeff

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

from michael lombardi at the athletic

For me, the No. 1 statistic is the first-half point differential.
Teams that are in the top five of first-half point differential go to the Super Bowl

1. Green Bay
2. Baltimore
3. Buffalo
4. New Orleans
5. Seattle
6. Kansas City

On average, the Packers outscore their opponents 18-6 in the first half, taking a 2 score lead into the locker room
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
08 Jan 2021 23:24

Teams that are in the top five of first-half point differential go to the Super Bowl

1. Green Bay
2. Baltimore
3. Buffalo
4. New Orleans
5. Seattle
6. Kansas City

On average, the Packers outscore their opponents 18-6 in the first half, taking a 2 score lead into the locker room
Is there any statistic showing how predictive first half point differential is?

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
09 Jan 2021 07:07
My first reaction is yeah, look at what I posted !
Those 6 teams with best 1st half differential are essentially a list of the winningest teams. But I get what you're asking and yes there is a HUGE correlation between leading at halftime and winning the game. If I can find the article again,I'll grab a link. However, in the Packers 3 losses this year, at halftime they were ahead, behind and then tied.. so its obviously not 100 % predictive

This concept of "pass to gain a lead and then run to secure the win" really works - and it hints at why MLF and Gute wanted Dillon to close out the 2nd half. In 1st half, MLF's offense is number 1 in the entire league at 18.7 pts - that means he has the first part of the concept completed;gaining a lead. Now he needs to make the "run to secure the win" just a little bit more consistent and this Packers offense has another gear for the playoffs.
IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
BSA wrote:
08 Jan 2021 23:24

1. Green Bay
2. Baltimore
3. Buffalo
4. New Orleans
5. Seattle
6. Kansas City

Let me see if I can find it.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BSA wrote:
09 Jan 2021 10:34
BF004 wrote:
My first reaction is yeah, look at what I posted !
Those 6 teams with best 1st half differential are essentially a list of the winningest teams. But I get what you're asking and yes there is a HUGE correlation between leading at halftime and winning the game. If I can find the article again,I'll grab a link. However, in the Packers 3 losses this year, at halftime they were ahead, behind and then tied.. so its obviously not 100 % predictive

This concept of "pass to gain a lead and then run to secure the win" really works - and it hints at why MLF and Gute wanted Dillon to close out the 2nd half. In 1st half, MLF's offense is number 1 in the entire league at 18.7 pts - that means he has the first part of the concept completed;gaining a lead. Now he needs to make the "run to secure the win" just a little bit more consistent and this Packers offense has another gear for the playoffs.
Guess I was referring to the season long aggregate number vs playoff/super bowl success.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

https://stathead.com/tiny/Mc2Lp - Games over the last 10 seasons where the team leads by 1+

https://stathead.com/tiny/ncgIZ - Total scoring margin at half over the last 10 years per team

https://stathead.com/tiny/NcPWk - Current season halftime scoring margin.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

article on Nathaniel Hackett and the Goldmember theme

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football ... e73f.html?
IT. IS. TIME

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

BSA wrote:
09 Jan 2021 23:50
article on Nathaniel Hackett and the Goldmember theme

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football ... e73f.html?

Dis offense is toight like a tiger! :cheese:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Nice visual depiction of how bad it really could be next year for a lot of teams.

Read More. Post Less.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

NCF wrote:
11 Jan 2021 08:10
Nice visual depiction of how bad it really could be next year for a lot of teams.

I literally stared at this for like 45 seconds before I found the Saints. :lol: We're going to be kicking them Sparta-style into an NFL obscurity death pit when we beat them in two weeks.

Not pretty for GB either though - only like 5 teams in worse shape than us right now.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
11 Jan 2021 08:52
Not pretty for GB either though - only like 5 teams in worse shape than us right now.
Yep, as it stands. What this cannot show, though, is all the easy avenues teams have to access cap. Release players with high salary and little dead cap. Extend young stars with big cap numbers, etc. We know our own situation pretty well, but I wonder what some of these teams will have to do in order to break out of the red. I still think there is the potential for some sort of compromise that will avoid the massive cap shrinkage that is being projected.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
11 Jan 2021 08:10

Interesting.

Colts gotta do something to get a QB, man.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Undeniable facts. Rodgers has no Nickelodeon Valuable Player awards.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
11 Jan 2021 09:18
kyle.mccarroll wrote:
11 Jan 2021 08:52
Yep, as it stands. What this cannot show, though, is all the easy avenues teams have to access cap. Release players with high salary and little dead cap. Extend young stars with big cap numbers, etc. We know our own situation pretty well, but I wonder what some of these teams will have to do in order to break out of the red. I still think there is the potential for some sort of compromise that will avoid the massive cap shrinkage that is being projected.
Yeah I don't think cap worries me too much. You can clear out a cap issue in one season. So if our dealings ends up with a Rodgers SB ring in 2020...I say go for it in 2021 and 2022 and then clean house and restart with Love if they don't bear any fruit.

Only real players on offense I want to keep beyond 2022 is Jenkins, Dillon, Adams and Love. And Lazard too because I love the guy and his attitude.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
11 Jan 2021 11:02
Yeah I don't think cap worries me too much. You can clear out a cap issue in one season. So if our dealings ends up with a Rodgers SB ring in 2020...I say go for it in 2021 and 2022 and then clean house and restart with Love if they don't bear any fruit.
I think that should be the plan even if they DO bear fruit.

But we absolutely have to win one of the next three Super Bowls for me to feel content with this phase of the team (the early-MLF, late-Rodgers phase, we can call it. EMLR for short). I rarely put a standard that high, but we have a really great window right now.