Joe Barry reportedly to be hired as DC

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:12
salmar80 wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:04
YoHoChecko wrote:
18 Oct 2021 12:59

:aok:

I, too, prefer Burns as the measuring stick. Great post.
I have Burns, Sweat, Wilkins and Lawrence all ahead of Simmons as Gary pick alternatives.

But I'm tired of the same old conversation, and we all know yoop is never gonna give Simmons up, never gonna let Simmons down, never gonna run around and desert Simmons. That's unconditional draft love. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Oh we all know that isn't true. We just need to wait until some other player pops up from the 2019 draft to change his tune.

Jeff Simmons was hardly on his mind until midway through last year. During the fall of 2019, we all said yoop would never let go of not trading up for Devin Bush or taking Noah Fant. Now it's like those two were never in the conversation. :lol:
liar, liar, pants on fire :lol: I loved the way Simmons stood up for his sister and beat that raving lunatic off her, he's a stand up Bro don't ya know :lol:

I just hope Campbell plays at this level for 5 more years, and Jaylon takes his diaper off, he looks liked he's slowed down a lot, course we've hardly seem much of him yet, so I hope I'am wrong.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:18
Yoop wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:16
this is all water over the bridge now of course, and like everyone I hope Rashad gets 80 pressures and 19 sacks, but I won't hold my breath till he does that :lol:
We should fire that bridge builder. Sounds unsafe.
What do you mean? Give the bridge builder a raise! All he was tasked to do was build the bridge. It was the environmental study's job to discern how high the bridge should be.

By all means if that bridge is still standing, give him a raise. :lol:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:23
go pak go wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:12
salmar80 wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:04

I have Burns, Sweat, Wilkins and Lawrence all ahead of Simmons as Gary pick alternatives.

But I'm tired of the same old conversation, and we all know yoop is never gonna give Simmons up, never gonna let Simmons down, never gonna run around and desert Simmons. That's unconditional draft love. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Oh we all know that isn't true. We just need to wait until some other player pops up from the 2019 draft to change his tune.

Jeff Simmons was hardly on his mind until midway through last year. During the fall of 2019, we all said yoop would never let go of not trading up for Devin Bush or taking Noah Fant. Now it's like those two were never in the conversation. :lol:
liar, liar, pants on fire :lol: I loved the way Simmons stood up for his sister and beat that raving lunatic off her, he's a stand up Bro don't ya know :lol:
I recommend you keep thoughts like these to yourself.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:06
I still think the best thing to do would have been to give draft capital to get up to #9 or #10 in the draft and go get Ed Oliver or Devon Bush. Now those boys can play.
I still think the best thing to do would have been to trade BACK for Savage instead of up for him, and use the extra second round pick on DK Metcalf and a couple of mid-round guys including Maxx Crosby with one of the 4th rounders (who I loved at the time, but maybe mostly because my name is Max)

:lol:

But honestly I did like Maxx Crosby, I did like Burns, I wasn't thrilled with Gary, and I hated DK Metcalf as a projected top ten pick, but recognized the value by the end of the second round, so this is only like 40% hindsight.

Anyway, I'm fine with Gary. He's cool, he's pretty good; I hope he continues to build like Preston and Z did in years 3-5 of their careers.
C now any combination of what you just said makes more sense then just taking Gary to me Yoho, we could use a Metcalf, Crosby, even Fant, or as you said, just trade back and take Savage, I don't know who became enamored with Gary ( Guty, Pettine, Lafluer) but it seemed as though he was the target all along, and that I think bothered me the most, I watched a bunch of Mi. videos and was never impressed, hopefully he keeps improving though.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:31
YoHoChecko wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:06
I still think the best thing to do would have been to give draft capital to get up to #9 or #10 in the draft and go get Ed Oliver or Devon Bush. Now those boys can play.
I still think the best thing to do would have been to trade BACK for Savage instead of up for him, and use the extra second round pick on DK Metcalf and a couple of mid-round guys including Maxx Crosby with one of the 4th rounders (who I loved at the time, but maybe mostly because my name is Max)

:lol:

But honestly I did like Maxx Crosby, I did like Burns, I wasn't thrilled with Gary, and I hated DK Metcalf as a projected top ten pick, but recognized the value by the end of the second round, so this is only like 40% hindsight.

Anyway, I'm fine with Gary. He's cool, he's pretty good; I hope he continues to build like Preston and Z did in years 3-5 of their careers.
C now any combination of what you just said makes more sense then just taking Gary to me Yoho, we could use a Metcalf, Crosby, even Fant, or as you said, just trade back and take Savage, I don't know who became enamored with Gary ( Guty, Pettine, Lafluer) but it seemed as though he was the target all along, and that I think bothered me the most, I watched a bunch of Mi. videos and was never impressed, hopefully he keeps improving though.
I would have liked to have traded back from 12 and grabbed deebo samuel and someone else if we couldnt trade up for bush
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

go pak go wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:29
What do you mean? Give the bridge builder a raise! All he was tasked to do was build the bridge. It was the environmental study's job to discern how high the bridge should be.

By all means if that bridge is still standing, give him a raise. :lol:
:rotf:

:beer2:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I thought the two best player by far were DK and Simmons. I thought DK was a sure fire too 10 pick. I have no clue how the league missed so badly on this. It was obvious he was going to be a star. Simmons I felt was a top 5 pick had he not gotten hurt.

I was definitely right on DK. Not sure about Simmons. I would still have taken Simmons because I think that would have been a difference maker for us the last 2 years. The last few games Gary has really come to life. As I’ve said before I really think he is a lot like Bandon Graham. He was considered one of the best edge players in the league despite never hitting double digit sacks. Gary is impacting a lot of plays and setting up his team mates. As of right now I can’t say one is better than the other.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:41
I thought the two best player by far were DK and Simmons. I thought DK was a sure fire too 10 pick. I have no clue how the league missed so badly on this. It was obvious he was going to be a star. Simmons I felt was a top 5 pick had he not gotten hurt.

I was definitely right on DK. Not sure about Simmons. I would still have taken Simmons because I think that would have been a difference maker for us the last 2 years. The last few games Gary has really come to life. As I’ve said before I really think he is a lot like Bandon Graham. He was considered one of the best edge players in the league despite never hitting double digit sacks. Gary is impacting a lot of plays and setting up his team mates. As of right now I can’t say one is better than the other.
Yeah, I had to own my opinion on DK Metcalf if I referenced him specifically because I spent the whole pre-draft season arguing with you, specifically, that he was not as good as you thought he was and that I didn't like him.

But all of that was based on the idea of him as a top 5 pick. Once he was there at 60 I was like "wait, ok, NOW I' could do it." But cards on the table if Paris Campbell and DK Metcalf were both on the board for a pick, I would have taken Campbell.

So, ya know, can't win 'em all.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
18 Oct 2021 13:45
thanks, see this aligns more to what I've seen from Gary, I wish his pressures came a bit faster, but he does eventually get pressure, I also think eventually he'll get more sacks as he learns to get better hand leverage.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

After re-watching the game, Gary was very good in the 3rd quarter. He impacted plays on 3rd down in particularly on every drive.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
18 Oct 2021 10:39
Simmons has been producing since he was a rookie
Who??? Oh, you mean the turd who AJ Dillon made his bitch as a covid-ravaged rookie?!?! HAHAHAHAHA you a funny guy.

How many PLAYOFF GAMES has NOAH FANT been to??? Yeah, that's what I thought....
Yoop wrote:
18 Oct 2021 11:24
what is insane is myself
Fixed that for you. :aok:

#GaryGang
Last edited by Labrev on 19 Oct 2021 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
18 Oct 2021 10:59
Exactly. Both the Gary love affair and the Gary hate are hyperbole
No. The first one is correct; all other opinions are wrong.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
19 Oct 2021 09:46
Drj820 wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
19 Oct 2021 09:48
Labrev wrote:
19 Oct 2021 09:46
Drj820 wrote:
I feel like there are 5 people who care, and 90% who don't give a &%$@. Just watch the games and see if he is playing well or poorly and commenting off that, no agenda tied back to a draft one way or the other.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Drj820 wrote:
13 Feb 2021 23:23
No one Can call this a bad hire yet, it’s just too early and we gotta wait and see.

But just on paper..this seems like a pretty clown hire. Very underwhelming to say the least. I wish we either went OG old with Rex or Wade or young up and comer. Third attempt retread guy who has had some of the leagues worst defenses just doesn’t excite.

If you told me “bring back Pettine, or take this guy”. I would say give me Pettine back.
I stand by this…wade Phillips was my top choice…but given choice between Barry and Pettine, I would have kept Pettine.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Nov 2022 09:27
Drj820 wrote:
No one Can call this a bad hire yet, it’s just too early and we gotta wait and see.

But just on paper..this seems like a pretty clown hire. Very underwhelming to say the least. I wish we either went OG old with Rex or Wade or young up and comer. Third attempt retread guy who has had some of the leagues worst defenses just doesn’t excite.

If you told me “bring back Pettine, or take this guy”. I would say give me Pettine back.
I stand by this…wade Phillips was my top choice…but given choice between Barry and Pettine, I would have kept Pettine.
The only thing GB seems to do well at on DC's is the DC's first year. Our defense gets considerably worse in year 2 for the exception of Capers in 2010.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2022 09:58
Drj820 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

The only thing GB seems to do well at on DC's is the DC's first year. Our defense gets considerably worse in year 2 for the exception of Capers in 2010.
That is kind of a strange phenomena isn’t it?

But I also think Pettine got a bad rap. He was a really good defensive coach for many years. Pretty much got named a HC just because of his ability to coach defense. I bet he would have been excellent with this personnel. He had a lot less weapons at his disposal including a secondary he felt was vulnerable. He played a lot of bend but don’t break, but truth is they didn’t break thaaaat much. They just bent alot. But he was probably terrified of starting Kevin king or whoever his backup was going to be due him being out, also never had premiere ILBs (just passive but sure tackler Martinez), and he was having to start Lowry on the DL with Lancaster being his top backup.

Barry has it a LOT better than Pettine did.

Edit: I will say tho to be fair, Pettine did kind of make his own bed. It appears Gutey went to him and asked him what he needed to be successful and he was pretty much given his wish list. At that point, it’s time to make it work. He asked for OLB and not DL. He asked for Amos and ignored ILB. So he’s got to own some of that.

But I really don’t think he did THAT bad. It just seemed to be about Lafleur “wanting to get his own guy in there”. Well, that seems to be working out just great

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
20 Nov 2022 10:04
go pak go wrote:
20 Nov 2022 09:58
Drj820 wrote:

That is kind of a strange phenomena isn’t it?

But I also think Pettine got a bad rap. He was a really good defensive coach for many years. Pretty much got named a HC just because of his ability to coach defense. I bet he would have been excellent with this personnel. He had a lot less weapons at his disposal including a secondary he felt was vulnerable. He played a lot of bend but don’t break, but truth is they didn’t break thaaaat much. They just bent alot. But he was probably terrified of starting Kevin king or whoever his backup was going to be due him being out, also never had premiere ILBs (just passive but sure tackler Martinez), and he was having to start Lowry on the DL with Lancaster being his top backup.

Barry has it a LOT better than Pettine did.

Edit: I will say tho to be fair, Pettine did kind of make his own bed. It appears Gutey went to him and asked him what he needed to be successful and he was pretty much given his wish list. At that point, it’s time to make it work. He asked for OLB and not DL. He asked for Amos and ignored ILB. So he’s got to own some of that.

But I really don’t think he did THAT bad. It just seemed to be about Lafleur “wanting to get his own guy in there”. Well, that seems to be working out just great
Pettine was fired because his defensive play call on the final play of the 1st half in the NFC Title game cost the Packers a Super Bowl.

That play call was so bad that it was a fireable offense.
Yoop wrote: