Joe Barry reportedly to be hired as DC

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Nov 2022 11:12
Foosball wrote:
28 Nov 2022 11:11
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t LaFleur hire Barry explicitly to run a specific defense?
Was supposed to be aggressive... Has even been commented on by LaFleur this season that it needs to be more aggressive.
It seems when Barry does get aggressive the Packers D gets burned more than not. Barry doesn’t have a good feel for the game.
Love is the answer…

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Nov 2022 11:12
Foosball wrote:
28 Nov 2022 11:11
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t LaFleur hire Barry explicitly to run a specific defense?
Was supposed to be aggressive... Has even been commented on by LaFleur this season that it needs to be more aggressive.
Yup. They talked about that when Barry came on board. But it’s become more passive than ever, save a couple of games this year.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Acrobat wrote:
28 Nov 2022 05:22
texas wrote:
28 Nov 2022 03:59
All the hate for Barry is just due to the echo chamber. Fact is, he's nowhere near bad enough to deserve to be fired. The problem with the team this season is the offense by far. A better offense stays on the field longer and makes the defense look better. Plus all our guys regressed slightly, and some important players have been hurt. No way should we fire Barry yet.

Jaire's worse
Rasul's worse
Campbell's worse (and injured)
Stokes is worse (and injured)
Gary is injured
P Smith is slightly worse
Savage is worse
Amos is worse

idk about the D Line. But the rest of those guys comprise most of the defense. And they all aren't what they used to be. I was thinking we should move on from Amos because he isn't what he was, but then someone pointed out that even if he's not what he was, he is still better, right now, than many safeties we've had over the years. It's just that in his first 3 years here he was an unsung all-pro caliber safety, and now he seems to be missing the kinds of tackles he never used to miss. Now apply what I just wrote to like every other player too. Rasul and Campbell regressed to the mean a bit.

Definitely should not fire Barry yet, even after last night's debacle. If that happens in the playoffs, sure, it's a fireable offense. But given the circumstances, he merely gets put on notice after the Philly game.
Player regression in the masses is a coaching issue. Fire him.
Sometimes it probably is, but you can't make that claim definitively in this case and in any event, the defense was playing alright until recently. You guys are all just doing that echo chamber thing again, and you're all wrong.

Rasul and Campbell probably just regressed to the mean. They played out of their minds last year.
P Smith has a documented history of alternating good and bad seasons
Gary is injured
Stokes got his roles elevated and couldn't perform at the same level (yet), not all that unusual for a young guy. But then he got hurt on top of it.
Amos probably is just declining with age
Savage and Jaire are the only ones for whom a coaching explanation is reasonable, and it could also be the case that something else bit them. Jaire missed a lot of time last season and maybe he's still getting over it, for example.

I'm not some big Joe Barry fan, and I wouldn't be too upset if we let him go this offseason (though I would oppose it), but you guys are engaging in scapegoat mob mentality here when the obvious (and correct) culprit is the offense, and it's not even close.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

As always all things hold some measure of truth. The offense has been an issue for the defense for many games, but last night wasn't really one of them. There are schematic things the defense does that doesn't play it the strengths of it's players. Lastly the safety position was neglected and Amos and Savage have been poor this season. All in all though, they were and are playing worse than the same of their parts, so to speak.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."