Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Jordan Love is better not simply in terms of having the ability to play longer and therefore potentially offering more good years of QB play, I will say he is better for this team right now.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Athletic reporter who wrote story about Russ Wilson wanting Pete Carroll fired was on mad dog sports radio today.

She said Hacketts downfall with Russ was that when he came in he wanted peace with Russ and wanted to accommodate his preferences too much. Said Russ was constantly changing hand signals and wanting to implement too much for a first year offense. Said Hackett gave Russ his own office not on the first floor where the players hang..but the second floor where management hangs. She said there was real tension Year one in GB with rodgers, Lafleur, and Hackett over Rodgers resistance to Lafleurs offense.

She said Hackett wanted to avoid that tension by accommodating russ fully and he simply went way too far, lost all control, and put his fate in a struggling QBs hands to the detriment of the full team.

Made me infer Rodgers PLAY in year one wasn’t why Love was drafted, but Rodgers being a pain in the a** and resisting the coach was the reason Love was drafted. Made me also think how Hackett and Lafleur bending knee to 12 year one, led to hacketts quick downfall in Denver.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Feb 2023 10:27
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
25 Feb 2023 08:47
This thread might be mislabeled. Why not PACKERS WATCH 2023 instead? Only because the PACKERS hold all of the cards with respect to Aaron Rodgers future this offseason. Aaron Rodgers can't do anything (besides retire) unless the Packers let him. The term "I OWN YOU" is a PACKERS term, not an Aaron Rodgers term. The Packers have the leverage regarding Aaron Rodgers' future.

It's simple: Either dump him for draft picks .......... or buy a black tent and wait him out.

:argue:
The Packers don’t have any leverage. Sounds good to say they do but the reality there isn’t any.

In terms of a trade if he doesn’t like where they’re trading him he threatens that team he will retire. They back out of the trade. No one is reading resources for nothing. He ends up on the books for us.

He comes back he is either the starter or the backup. Regardless it costs us $60M and there’s no way at that price he’s a backup. Gutenbumst would look more stupid than he already does.
It's basically a messed up / no clear win situation. Packers can't win monetarily ........... but can win the fans back by doing the right thing for the fans and for the near future of the Packers. Right now if the Packers QB wears #12 in 2023 the boo audio decibel levels will certainly be readily heard when the offense is announced at pre-game. From Butte College, #12 Aaron Rodgers ........ BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Maybe Gutey will only agree to announcing the defense at pre-game if #12 is still there. In any event I'd keep your Dickey (#10 or #12) and #12 Bratkowski jerseys........and burn your all of your Rodgers jerseys.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 25 Feb 2023 14:40, edited 3 times in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Feb 2023 12:22
She said there was real tension Year one in GB with rodgers, Lafleur, and Hackett over Rodgers resistance to Lafleurs offense.

She said Hackett wanted to avoid that tension by accommodating russ fully and he simply went way too far, lost all control, and put his fate in a struggling QBs hands to the detriment of the full team.

Made me infer Rodgers PLAY in year one wasn’t why Love was drafted, but Rodgers being a pain in the a** and resisting the coach was the reason Love was drafted. Made me also think how Hackett and Lafleur bending knee to 12 year one, led to hacketts quick downfall in Denver.
It sounds to me like Hackett and LaFleur did not bend the knee to Rodgers; and Hackett thought not bending the knee was a cause of tension; not that they did bend the knee.

They obviously accommodated him a lot. But there was enough pushback by the coach to create some tension. I would say it's also fairly obvious that the tension was alleviated in the medium-term. 2019 might have been tough, but 2020 and 2021 they were jiving together.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I felt bad for Hackett although I'm not convinced he's HC material, but I thought it was unfortunate that he took the fall for what was really Russ being a bad QB (ope, there I go again, it's never the QB's fault; obviously all fault is on the WRs, OL, and GM).

If that report is true, then I have a lot less sympathy. If you wanted to let one player have that much of an outsized importance on the team, then you kinda deserve to have your fate decided by them. And it's not like Russ was playing great before he got to Denver; he was struggling. You needed to get him right first and foremost, not make him king before he has even done anything.

Lol Hackett.
—Magneto

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

If I am being honest, a big reason I want Rodgers to come back is that I have him in a keeper league that goes back to 2007, and I have kept him every year that he has been the starter. And in 2007 I had Favre. So I've had the Packers QB for every season of the league's existence. And I have won the most championships.

Someone else drafted Love last year and held him just to be able to keep him if he is the starter this year. I figured last offseason that Rodgers would be coming back in 2023 so I didn't target Love in the draft.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
Athletic reporter who wrote story about Russ Wilson wanting Pete Carroll fired was on mad dog sports radio today.

She said Hacketts downfall with Russ was that when he came in he wanted peace with Russ and wanted to accommodate his preferences too much. Said Russ was constantly changing hand signals and wanting to implement too much for a first year offense. Said Hackett gave Russ his own office not on the first floor where the players hang..but the second floor where management hangs. She said there was real tension Year one in GB with rodgers, Lafleur, and Hackett over Rodgers resistance to Lafleurs offense.

now your trying to compare Rodgers, who had every right in the world to know who was replacing McCarthy, with Wilson who had become a cancer in Seattle and openly wanted Carroll and the GM fired.

If it's true that Gute drafted Love because Rodgers wanted a voice in what Lafleur intended to do, then he should have taken out his grief with Murphy, who as you know extended Rodgers to the tune of over a 100 mil not six months prior, I don't believe that crap for 1 minute, these two circumstances don't seem the same even if they appear that way, Gute took Love in a draft following a 13-3 season, and if ya look back both Lafleur and Rodgers seemed to get along well, your turning a situation that is bound to have growing pains into Rodgers being un coachable, and thats BS.

what people wont say to degrade Rodgers. :box:

wizard 87
Reactions:

Post by wizard 87 »

Yoop wrote:
25 Feb 2023 13:43
Drj820 wrote:

now your trying to compare Rodgers, who had every right in the world to know who was replacing McCarthy, with Wilson who had become a cancer in Seattle and openly wanted Carroll and the GM fired.

If it's true that Gute drafted Love because Rodgers wanted a voice in what Lafleur intended to do, then he should have taken out his grief with Murphy, who as you know extended Rodgers to the tune of over a 100 mil not six months prior, I don't believe that crap for 1 minute, these two circumstances don't seem the same even if they appear that way, Gute took Love in a draft following a 13-3 season, and if ya look back both Lafleur and Rodgers seemed to get along well, your turning a situation that is bound to have growing pains into Rodgers being un coachable, and thats BS.

Yoop , what's happened to you? Aaron doesn't need you or anyone else to defend him at every lick? People have a right to their opinion on any player..they don't have to love him or not be critical to be a fan. Hell man that's why Jeff started news.net to get away from Julie's nazi crap. :police:

I think the world of you and a few more here but every Rodgers post looks like this ... :slapfight: and you guys are in the middle.

Seriously it's okay if people don't want Aaron Rodgers as their QB anymore, they don't need a justifying reason. It's really not worth getting worked up about.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wizard 87 wrote:
25 Feb 2023 14:04
Yoop wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Yoop , what's happened to you? Aaron doesn't need you or anyone else to defend him at every lick? People have a right to their opinion on any player..they don't have to love him or not be critical to be a fan. Hell man that's why Jeff started news.net to get away from Julie's nazi crap. :police:

I think the world of you and a few more here but every Rodgers post looks like this ... :slapfight: and you guys are in the middle.

Seriously it's okay if people don't want Aaron Rodgers as their QB anymore, they don't need a justifying reason. It's really not worth getting worked up about.
maybe the boxer from me was over board, and your right people have every right to there opinions even if they lack credibility.

again if we dump Rodgers and move on with Love I can understand, my point is if we don't I understand that to. :aok:

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Madcity_matt wrote:
25 Feb 2023 10:30
bud fox wrote:
24 Feb 2023 19:38
Madcity_matt wrote:
24 Feb 2023 16:24
I think what gets lost in a lot of these conversations/arguments is that a lot of the posters who prefer to move on this offseason aren't arguing that Rodgers isn't likely the better option in 2023. The undisputable reality is that Rodgers will not be our QB in 2029, while it is possible that Jordan Love is. I favor moving on because I don't think we have the ammo to win it all this year, and I would prefer to get something for Rodgers and see what we have in Love.
Love won’t be our QB in 2040 so should we move on?

If you can’t compete for a sb with mvp, hof, best qb of all time … you should be moving on from your gm not the qb.
Engaging in this is, knowing that I'm almost certainly not going to change your mind. We both agree that Rodgers is one of the best QB to ever play the game. Your take appears to be that Rodgers is still at the absolute top of his game. I did not see that this past season. I saw a good to very good QB at times, but there was a regression last year in his ability to find and get the ball to the open man. Agreed that there was inconsistency among the receivers and offensive line, but there were plenty of plays that could have and should have been made but weren't. There is a natural arc that any player that plays for as long as he has follows. In his first few years he had a stupid amount of athleticism but not the knowledge and savvy. As that improved, he hit a very long period of prime years where he was at the top of his game both physically and mentally. And now, his physical skills are starting to decline. There is an adage that has been around longer than you or I that it is better to move on a year early than a year late. This is the point that we are at now. As I stated in my original post I do still think that Rodgers in 2023 is better than Love in 2023. The risk in keeping Rodgers is that he may (and to be fair, most likely will) further regress to some degree this year. If this is the case, Green Bay will not be able to get any capital for him next year, and will still have to deal with the massive salary cap implications, while also gaining no NFL game evaluations for Love. I favor the Love route because we can gain experience and further evaluation of him in NFL games while freeing up salary cap and gaining draft capital in order to make a looming decision on Love that could impact the next decade.
I'll respond in points.

This was the sentiment at end of 2019 - he then went on to win back to back mvp.

You are using a year in which it was the worst receiving group, poor oline and Rodgers had a broken thumb. On his throwing hand.

Biology will kick in and play will decline but I think he is still the best option for probably another 5 years ala Brady.

Fans need to see Love play to evaluate him. Not the team. Games would help but you can get enough information as a team from every practice etc. Why packers quickly packed up Favres locker and sent it to him.

Packers keep begging Rodgers to come back should tell you everything you need to know.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

FWIW, I went around town on errands today. I met two different guys in Packers colors (one in an Aaron Jones 33 jersey). Both of them agreed with me that we love Aaron Rodgers but it’s time to move on.

That is not scientific proof of our need to start Love. But hey, it’s Saturday and cloudy outside. Might as well talk about the local chats. Lol.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

bud fox wrote:
25 Feb 2023 14:23
Madcity_matt wrote:
25 Feb 2023 10:30
bud fox wrote:
24 Feb 2023 19:38

Love won’t be our QB in 2040 so should we move on?

If you can’t compete for a sb with mvp, hof, best qb of all time … you should be moving on from your gm not the qb.
Engaging in this is, knowing that I'm almost certainly not going to change your mind. We both agree that Rodgers is one of the best QB to ever play the game. Your take appears to be that Rodgers is still at the absolute top of his game. I did not see that this past season. I saw a good to very good QB at times, but there was a regression last year in his ability to find and get the ball to the open man. Agreed that there was inconsistency among the receivers and offensive line, but there were plenty of plays that could have and should have been made but weren't. There is a natural arc that any player that plays for as long as he has follows. In his first few years he had a stupid amount of athleticism but not the knowledge and savvy. As that improved, he hit a very long period of prime years where he was at the top of his game both physically and mentally. And now, his physical skills are starting to decline. There is an adage that has been around longer than you or I that it is better to move on a year early than a year late. This is the point that we are at now. As I stated in my original post I do still think that Rodgers in 2023 is better than Love in 2023. The risk in keeping Rodgers is that he may (and to be fair, most likely will) further regress to some degree this year. If this is the case, Green Bay will not be able to get any capital for him next year, and will still have to deal with the massive salary cap implications, while also gaining no NFL game evaluations for Love. I favor the Love route because we can gain experience and further evaluation of him in NFL games while freeing up salary cap and gaining draft capital in order to make a looming decision on Love that could impact the next decade.
I'll respond in points.

This was the sentiment at end of 2019 - he then went on to win back to back mvp.

You are using a year in which it was the worst receiving group, poor oline and Rodgers had a broken thumb. On his throwing hand.

Biology will kick in and play will decline but I think he is still the best option for probably another 5 years ala Brady.

Fans need to see Love play to evaluate him. Not the team. Games would help but you can get enough information as a team from every practice etc. Why packers quickly packed up Favres locker and sent it to him.

Packers keep begging Rodgers to come back should tell you everything you need to know.
I am using last year because it is the most recent data. I get all of the underlying factors that went into last year, and certainly his level of play may return to the level it was the two years prior...but there is no guarantee that it does. As someone who feels as strongly as you clearly do about Rodgers, I get the sentiment that he has 5 more years left- and anything is possible- but Brady is the anomaly of anomalies. To operate under the assumption that Rodgers will be able to play at an MVP level for 5 more years because 1 other player in history did it is making an enormous leap.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
25 Feb 2023 14:14
wizard 87 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

maybe the boxer from me was over board, and your right people have every right to there opinions even if they lack credibility.

again if we dump Rodgers and move on with Love I can understand, my point is if we don't I understand that to. :aok:
:lol: :lol: lack of credibility? :lol: :lol:

Every post you have made regarding 2018 Rodgers play was to say he intentionally played poorly to boot McCarthy out the door.

Yet in this transactional argument, you go ahead and defend Rodgers's behavior with MM while criticizing Wilson for being an intetnioal cancer to boot out the GM and HC?...isn't that literally what you always said Rodgers did in 2018 to defend his crappy play?

Transactional arguments at its finest. :thwap:

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Longer this goes on, the more I would say the needle moves toward him staying and rodgers and the org pretending no one was ever even thinking about a divorce and we are all just crazy
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
25 Feb 2023 16:13
Yoop wrote:
25 Feb 2023 14:14
wizard 87 wrote:

:lol: :lol: lack of credibility? :lol: :lol:

Every post you have made regarding 2018 Rodgers play was to say he intentionally played poorly to boot McCarthy out the door.

Yet in this transactional argument, you go ahead and defend Rodgers's behavior with MM while criticizing Wilson for being an intetnioal cancer to boot out the GM and HC?...isn't that literally what you always said Rodgers did in 2018 to defend his crappy play?

Transactional arguments at its finest. :thwap:

this is so twisted I don't know where to begin, while you act as though Rodgers didn't see the check down receivers, I gave a logical explanation why at times he wouldn't throw to them, attempting to shed light on just how dis functional the whole situation was, McCarthy didn't have a short passing scheme, and we lacked receivers to make the spread vertical pass schemes work. :nono:

at the time it seemed like he did want to get rid of McCarthy, now with the advantage of hind sight it seems more that he was simply pissed off because the GM, both Ted and that off season and draft from Guty didn't alleviate those problems, actually not till this last draft was anything done to help our deep passing threat.

that you would drag this back up to compare Rodgers to the complete jerk ass that Russel Wilson has become :thwap: , isn't even a apples to oranges comparison, more like Arkansas ruby reds that ya pick first frost, but wont be ready to eat till march, fabulous for baking because they store so long compared to the blueberry's in my back yard that have a shelf life of about 30 days, Wilson was like a match, bright , but doesn't burn long, Wilson is on record for wanting a great coach and GM fired, Rodgers to my knowledge gave respect to Mike after he was fired, and countless times with Ted, adapted very well to the change to Matt Lafleur, and even said nice things about a GM that for no real reason at all Passed on several highly graded receivers and drafted his replacement instead, so no, imo thats not a good comparison.

and just so you know where I'am coming from, I think it was a huge mistake for Ted to not continue to use his 2nd round draft picks on WR every other draft, or even a first rounder, versus most of em on defense, but thats me, ya want a good comparison? it's like loading a target pistol with wad cutters what we've done with the receiver situation from 2015 to 2022 :lol:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
26 Feb 2023 13:25
Wilson is on record for wanting a great coach and GM fired,
He is on record denying it:
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
26 Feb 2023 17:38
Yoop wrote:
26 Feb 2023 13:25
Wilson is on record for wanting a great coach and GM fired,
He is on record denying it:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
26 Feb 2023 07:46
Longer this goes on, the more I would say the needle moves toward him staying and rodgers and the org pretending no one was ever even thinking about a divorce and we are all just crazy
I kind of think the opposite.

If we stays or retires, I think the news would break right away, no need to hide either.

If he’s coming back and they are starting trade talks, they might try to remain coy till they get some stuff figured out.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

My guess is we will know by the beginning of the new league year. All teams and prospective players need to know the situation so either team can have the knowledge of #12 being on the roster going into FA. It completely changes the offseason strategy.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The team can’t do anything until Rodgers says he’s playing in 2023 for this team or another. He holds all the power because of his contract. He decides if the team can trade him or do anything else.
Cancelled by the forum elites.