Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

bud fox wrote:
21 Mar 2023 01:10
The Jets can walk away from Rodgers and get another option. What do the packers do? They can trade to the jets, cut Rodgers or keep him and tell him to stay away from the team.
They can walk away but their other option had better be a home run or they invite their fans to stay home. They are not Green Bay whose fans endured 20 years of bad teams and still willed season tickets to their children. And actually since Namath, their teams have not been very good. Come December and no Rodgers and a 2-10 record they could be looking at an empty stadium.

No, realistically, the Jets management would have to be crazy to walk away.

Green Bay should hold out for that #13 pick or as others have mentioned, 2nd year players with equivalent value. And giving up their #15 or their 2nd round pick should be off the table. If the Jets need something to sweeten the deal, give them the Packers' 3rd round pick or make next season's conditional pick just a 3rd.

Gute / Murphy screwed up. Its time for them to do something right regarding Rodgers. Properly motivated, he is still a very good QB. Properly motivated he could take them deep into the playoffs. I think this situation will be a wake up call to Rodgers and he wants to go out on top rather than taking a lot of blame for last season. This is not the way to go out and neither is missing the playoffs:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Mar 2023 23:36
lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Mar 2023 19:26
Peter Bitchkowski mentioned Corey Davis and I’m starting to leave into that one. They have Wilson, Moore, just signed Lazard, and Mims as well. Davis going saves them $10M and also played under LaFleur in Tennessee.
The thing I don't like about Davis is that he's a pricey 1-year flier. We get him at $10.5 M for 2023 and that's it. The way things are going, I bet they'd add void years and restructure it so we get a guy for 1 year and pay for him over two years. That's just not where this team is. Davis has long been considered a likely cap casualty for the Jets. We'd basically be taking on a contract they're looking to get rid of. He's totally fine and all; as a player, I'd be interested in bringing him in for a free agent visit and seeing what the contract demands/expectations are. But he doesn't make a ton of sense for this deal, this team, this moment. If I'm paying vet money for a WR, I want someone that isn't an underperforming question mark, but more of a savvy vet
That’s not where this team is but it’s exactly where this management is. We need to build as much talent around Love as we possibly can to help him succeed. We have declined 2 years in a row and are now onto a new QB. If Love is bad or we decline again you have to fire Gutenbumst so it only makes sense to sacrifice even more future cap space for job security.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

Jets brass as well as Sala, have a losing record, and will feel the heat as this lingers! They need this to work! Woody Johnson needs this to work! #12 publicly trumpeted his arrival, no going back! He needs this to work! Do you think he wants to be remembered as the guy the Jets wasn't willing to give fair compensation to land? Windows in the NFL close fast! Guty, risks losing short term, but #10, plus the #23,#52,#9, #95, #7, and this years haul can put lipstick on this pig.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
21 Mar 2023 01:10
YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Mar 2023 00:35
bud fox wrote:
21 Mar 2023 00:27
Okay so the Packers pay but sit aaron rodgers - pay you but stay home.

I don't think you all realise the effect of this.

It will be every single press conference for years will be remembered by what they did to hof aaron rodgers.

This isn't a video game.

The most valuable thing is to just get a nice clean break - it is more valuable than a first round pick or any pick.
What are you talking about?

The Jets need Rodgers before the packers need to get rid of him. Period. That’s the whole story. They aren’t going two weeks into training camp without a QB. He can be wherever he wants DURING THE OFFSEASON. No one’s taking this all the way to the season. It can’t get there.
They have a QB, they could potentially draft another QB, they could get a vet.

They can easily build marketing stories around all these options.

The Jets can walk away from Rodgers and get another option. What do the packers do? They can trade to the jets, cut Rodgers or keep him and tell him to stay away from the team.
The Packers can actually trade him to any team the Packers want to.

The Packers can easily trade Aaron Rodgers to the Texans for a conditional 3rd round pick in August if Rodgers plays or nothing if Rodgers retires.

And would if Rodgers retires because he's a Texan?.....well I guess that accomplished the Packers goal now didn't it!

Worst case scenario this turns into a Favre situation. Which honestly wouldn't be all that bad. The Packers ultimately won't be held hostage paying $60MM to a man to sit on the bench. There are so many other options before that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Our end of the trade is also being hurt by the fact that.... nobody else really wants Aaron Rodgers, QB-needy as many teams are.

Because HE BLOWS.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
21 Mar 2023 08:45
Our end of the trade is also being hurt by the fact that.... nobody else really wants Aaron Rodgers, QB-needy as many teams are.

Because HE BLOWS.
YOU BLOW a lot of hot air.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Rodgers isn’t elite like he was. But he’s still really good. Teams know that. They just don’t see a long-term future in acquiring him. He would only be a short term answer. That’s why he’s a good fit for the Jets. They know he’s better than what they’ve had. But they don’t pretend he’s their QB of the future.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:
21 Mar 2023 09:02
Rodgers isn’t elite like he was. But he’s still really good. Teams know that. They just don’t see a long-term future in acquiring him. He would only be a short term answer. That’s why he’s a good fit for the Jets. They know he’s better than what they’ve had. But they don’t pretend he’s their QB of the future.
right, the only teams that where ever interested where teams that thought there team was capable of a SB run, Rodgers has maybe two, or possibly 3 years left, if your team can't compete during that span why fork out compensation for a older QB? wouldn't make sense.

we also wont attempt to try and force a trade of Rodgers to a team he doesn't want to go to, that would amount to drama this team wishes to avoid, do people actually think Favre was only worth a 4th round pick? we sold him for chump change just to get him off the property and out of town, and he still came back like a fly in the ointment a year later with the Vikes, I think we've learned a lesson from that insanity.

At some point we'll take whatever we can get from the Jets, and welcome Rodgers back for his retirement and HOF enshrinement, believe me, thats just as important to our FO as whatever the compensation is now

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Packer fans forget that other teams have something to play for that's arguably more important than a SuperBowl: $$$

Green Bay doesn't struggle to put butts in seats. Many other teams do. Having star players, being (realistically) the playoff chase, and actually getting into the playoffs... all is good for business. Lots of teams can use that even if they are not legit SB contenders. And Rodgers does not seem nearly as interested in another ring as longevity records and individual accolades anyway.

But, there is just one problem... HE BLOWS. So you may get some excitement and sales for the star player, but that will fade when people realize he is no longer a guy that elevates mediocrity but a guy that needs to be carried by quality, and the teams that need sales have the former not the latter.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
21 Mar 2023 09:52
Packer fans forget that other teams have something to play for that's arguably more important than a SuperBowl: $$$

Green Bay doesn't struggle to put butts in seats. Many other teams do. Having star players, being (realistically) the playoff chase, and actually getting into the playoffs... all is good for business. Lots of teams can use that even if they are not legit SB contenders. And Rodgers does not seem nearly as interested in another ring as longevity records and individual accolades anyway.

But, there is just one problem... HE BLOWS. So you may get some excitement and sales for the star player, but that will fade when people realize he is no longer a guy that elevates mediocrity but a guy that needs to be carried by quality, and the teams that need sales have the former not the latter.
that is such over blown malarky, no owner is going to fork out 50 mil. or more for one season of Aaron Rodgers, he wont recoup that no matter how many fans it attracts :rotf: :rotf:

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
21 Mar 2023 09:57
Labrev wrote:

that is such over blown malarky, no owner is going to fork out 50 mil. or more for one season of Aaron Rodgers, he wont recoup that no matter how many fans it attracts :rotf: :rotf:
I don't know how all the merch money flows, but I guarantee you there will be a whole lot of Rodgers Jets jersey's flowing out of that pro shop this year... And If Rodgers takes them to the SB, it will be one of the highest selling jersey's ever, IMO. The money coming in is only a part of the equation, but it ain't nothing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:

you contradict yourself with every post you make, first Guty needs to help Love, and now it's Rodgers needs a great supporting cast to NO BLOW, reality is any QB will be and do better with quality support, specially so if the OL sucks or he isn't able to run as he was able years ago.

I'am sure that the Jets know just what kind of player Rodgers is at this stage, just as they new at the time how good Favre still was, YOU, well your itch seems to be getting worse, maybe some antifungal cream would help :idn: :rotf:

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

bud fox wrote:
20 Mar 2023 22:55
Packers can not have Rodgers return to the team. I don't how anybody can't recognize this.
Obviously it would be a mess...but...

This is essentially the nuclear option for all sides. It would mean Rodgers doesn't get to play anymore. From a cap perspective, GB could afford it. They wouldn't get any compensation for him, which would be a mess, but if I'm not mistaken the cap numbers become much better after this season.

I think the possibility of that happening is incredibly minute, but it's useful for GB to still be able to proceed without being completely screwed. Since that is the reality, the Packers aren't up against the wall as much as it could appear.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:

Made up numbers, while fun, don't do a whole lot to further discussion:
For 2023 and 2024 they would be getting him for an average of ~$25 million of a cap hit ($51 million in total). That would make his cap hit rank in 2023 around 11th and in 2024 around 12th.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
21 Mar 2023 10:04
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:

I don't know how all the merch money flows, but I guarantee you there will be a whole lot of Rodgers Jets jersey's flowing out of that pro shop this year... And If Rodgers takes them to the SB, it will be one of the highest selling jersey's ever, IMO. The money coming in is only a part of the equation, but it ain't nothing.
Jets fans, maybe, simply because it's a 2 year deal, but if we force him to where he doesn't want to go, it becomes a 1 year deal, a rental, fans wont fork out money on a 1 yr player

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

bud fox wrote:
21 Mar 2023 00:27
Okay so the Packers pay but sit aaron rodgers - pay you but stay home.

I don't think you all realise the effect of this.

It will be every single press conference for years will be remembered by what they did to hof aaron rodgers.

This isn't a video game.

The most valuable thing is to just get a nice clean break - it is more valuable than a first round pick or any pick.
Rodgers: "I'm going to play for the Jets."
Packers: "Then Love is our starting QB."
Rodgers: "The Jets don't want me. I'm going to play for the Packers."
Packers: "Love is our starting QB."

At least some of the people in these 20-year-hence press conferences will see Rodgers as being at least partly to blame. Obviously others will say that Rodgers should have got his own way.

Obviously if Love is a great or even good QB, then the whole palaver will be as relevant as the Favre meltdown twenty years ago - ie. not relevant at all. But however it ultimately turns out, it won't be as bad as you suggest. IMHO, of course.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Madcity_matt wrote:
21 Mar 2023 10:13
bud fox wrote:
20 Mar 2023 22:55
Packers can not have Rodgers return to the team. I don't how anybody can't recognize this.
Obviously it would be a mess...but...

This is essentially the nuclear option for all sides. It would mean Rodgers doesn't get to play anymore. From a cap perspective, GB could afford it. They wouldn't get any compensation for him, which would be a mess, but if I'm not mistaken the cap numbers become much better after this season.

I think the possibility of that happening is incredibly minute, but it's useful for GB to still be able to proceed without being completely screwed. Since that is the reality, the Packers aren't up against the wall as much as it could appear.
Any jersey sold at the Jets pro shop goes to the Jets. Any jersey sold at any other store goes into the NFL Revenue Share pool.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

… but the Jets don’t feel any pressure to jump for Rodgers. Nah.
Attachments
5FA06B94-F27A-444B-BB69-4005AED57C33.jpeg
5FA06B94-F27A-444B-BB69-4005AED57C33.jpeg (196.35 KiB) Viewed 662 times
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The Jets just got pick 42 from the Browns.

Picks 42 and 43 are worth pick 17 on the old school and still-more-reliable trade chart.

Now the deal can be swap 13 and 15, get picks 42, 43, and TE Jeremy Ruckert and I'd be in.

Packers with picks 13, 42, 43, and 45 would be very fun for draft fans.

I'd still prefer Jeremiah Johnson I think because he might be a stud. But whatevs. This can be fun.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Also, I would bet that this is an indication that the Jets offered Moore and the Packers didn't want him so they got the value for him elsewhere