Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

salmar80 wrote:
25 Sep 2023 14:50
In your Packers news, Jordan Love is the real deal.

Will he be as good as BF or AR? Dunno. But he will be a QB to build a team around, and he's winning with backups already.
No no no, I hear he's Jay Cutler and we are going to be such a bad team we will be picking #1 overall in April.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Sep 2023 14:55
salmar80 wrote:

Will he be as good as BF or AR? Dunno. But he will be a QB to build a team around, and he's winning with backups already.
No no no, I hear he's Jay Cutler and we are going to be such a bad team we will be picking #1 overall in April.
Cutler went where all QB's fail. Can't imagine why any QB would go there. If drafted by or traded to Da Bears, hold out and demand a different team. Even the CFL is an option better than to play in Chicago.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
25 Sep 2023 13:04
Pugger wrote:
25 Sep 2023 10:56
YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Sep 2023 09:59
Honestly the way this team responds to Love gives me chills.

I don't think it's Rodgers fault that at 39 he didn't connect with a young team the way Love can. I know he put in way more effort at it in NY than in his final years in GB and that rubs me the wrong way a bit, but even if he tried his best, I don't think he could generate this kind of community and response of a team coming up together.

I mean the response to Gary getting the call was enthusiastic enough. And then they say Love and for the second time in 3 weeks of watching these videos, the locker room just ERUPTS.

This video of the guys in the locker room after the game was special. They do seem to rally around Love big time. :heart:
rousing applause for Players and obviously Coach Lafleur, almost nothing went right for 45 minutes, constant mistakes and broken plays, but no one gave up, surely not Matt, or Jarod, they continuously rallied the troops till the players quit beating themselves.

Now don't get me wrong, I specially like a beatdown from whistle to whistle, but turn around, come back wins like this one take center stage for firing me up, just been so long I'am out of practice, I had to pause the game several times in the 4th just to catch my breath from screaming so much, I had the the green towel in one hand, the Cheese wedge on my head, and hanker chief whipping away tears of Joy for our beloved Packers.

for me this season is dedicated to my brother who just passed a tad over a month ago, he was the level headed Packer fan of the family, we would have had so much fun watching this game and the way it ended.
I'm so sorry about your brother. I lost my baby sister to breast cancer that masticized to her brain a couple of years ago. It really hurts to lose a sibling. :cry:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

salmar80 wrote:

Doubt he’ll ever be as good as me, but Erin is definitely in play.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

thanks for the condolences everyone, many/some of us have lost close family members, tough to get over, my brother and I shared many happy times, hunting, fishing, and obviously watching our Packers come to mind, thanks again :aok:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
25 Sep 2023 13:04
for me this season is dedicated to my brother who just passed a tad over a month ago, he was the level headed Packer fan of the family, we would have had so much fun watching this game and the way it ended.
Sorry to hear that, [mention]Yoop[/mention]. The world somehow keeps turning, but as I get older, the more I realize, it turns a little differently every time someone new leaves this world.

Read More. Post Less.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Sep 2023 10:18
speaking of Loves extension, i think the Packers may have cost themselves a lot of money by not locking him up for the next few years on a deal he would have taken...something like 3 years, 70m, 60m guaranteed or something like that.

His next contract will probably be around 40m per. If he keeps up his good work.
Don't think there's any question he's gotten a LOT more expensive. Also don't think there's any question that, three weeks ago, there was no reason to think he'd perform this well.

What concerns me is that, while I'm glad to have them, there is also a strong movement to write a blank check for Aaron Jones (now that we see what he means to the O) and Gary (maybe Clark, Jenkins, maybe some other vets - and, if any of the kids really break out...). At some point, tough decisions are going to have to be made. Glad I'm not the one who has to do it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Half Empty wrote:
26 Sep 2023 09:14
What concerns me is that, while I'm glad to have them, there is also a strong movement to write a blank check for Aaron Jones (now that we see what he means to the O) and Gary (maybe Clark, Jenkins, maybe some other vets - and, if any of the kids really break out...). At some point, tough decisions are going to have to be made. Glad I'm not the one who has to do it.
Gary and Love are clearly the priorities.

I love Jones and want to keep him, but a) there's no market for writing a blank check to a RB. There's a reason he took a pay cut and backs around the league folded in their holdouts and signed their franchise tags and came to work. But b) sad as it is, Jones is in fact more cheaply replaceable than either of the other two guys. We have to keep Love and Gary and they will be expensive premium position players (but neither should be market-setters with their deals).

Any Jones decision will come to how much he's willing to play for. It'll be a RB draft this year for us, for sure.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 Sep 2023 09:24
Half Empty wrote:
26 Sep 2023 09:14
Gary and Love are clearly the priorities.

I love Jones and want to keep him, but a) there's no market for writing a blank check to a RB. There's a reason he took a pay cut and backs around the league folded in their holdouts and signed their franchise tags and came to work. But b) sad as it is, Jones is in fact more cheaply replaceable than either of the other two guys. We have to keep Love and Gary and they will be expensive premium position players (but neither should be market-setters with their deals).

Any Jones decision will come to how much he's willing to play for. It'll be a RB draft this year for us, for sure.
jones is on contract for next year. If anything they might extend him a year to manage cap costs, but he's already making well above average money for a RB. I cant' see them signing him to a new 4 year contract simply due to the value drop for running backs.

Gary is an absolute priority, sooner rather than later. An extension for Love would seem to me to be more likely late season or even off season.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote: my thinking is that we can afford to have a couple big dollar RB's because all our receivers are on rookie contracts, and Jones I think will take a renogotiated deal next year for as Yoho guessed about 6 mil. so imo that makes the 10 or so we'd have to pay Jonathan warranted, production is expensive now days, does it matter how we get it? not to me
Do you honestly think low-balling Jones, a player who has been all about “team” since he got here, and then subsequently rolling out the big bucks for Taylor, a player who hasn’t played a snap for the Packers and isn’t appreciably better than Jones, wouldn’t have a negative impact on Jones, the team, and how the organization is viewed league wide?

I mean, you’re treating this like it Madden.

And when I say Taylor isn’t appreciably better than Jones, I mean from a talent perspective, not usage. If Jones got the touches Taylor has gotten, he’d be every bit as productive - my money says even moreso with his pass game acumen - as Taylor. And when you also consider Taylor’s replacement, Zach Moss, is having great success running behind Indy’s offensive line, you could make the argument Taylor is getting maybe just a little too much credit.

Now, this is the Detroit-Green Bay GDT so I don’t want to go off the rails here, but this is just crazy talk that needed a response. I’d be happy to continue this in the 2023 Packers News thread if you wanna pursue this crazy talk further.

Mod edit: this post and the ensuing post were moved from the week 4 GDT.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
26 Sep 2023 15:55
Yoop wrote: my thinking is that we can afford to have a couple big dollar RB's because all our receivers are on rookie contracts, and Jones I think will take a renogotiated deal next year for as Yoho guessed about 6 mil. so imo that makes the 10 or so we'd have to pay Jonathan warranted, production is expensive now days, does it matter how we get it? not to me
Do you honestly think low-balling Jones, a player who has been all about “team” since he got here, and then subsequently rolling out the big bucks for Taylor, a player who hasn’t played a snap for the Packers and isn’t appreciably better than Jones, wouldn’t have a negative impact on Jones, the team, and how the organization is viewed league wide?

I mean, you’re treating this like it Madden.

And when I say Taylor isn’t appreciably better than Jones, I mean from a talent perspective, not usage. If Jones got the touches Taylor has gotten, he’d be every bit as productive - my money says even moreso with his pass game acumen - as Taylor. And when you also consider Taylor’s replacement, Zach Moss, is having great success running behind Indy’s offensive line, you could make the argument Taylor is getting maybe just a little too much credit.
why not, we do so with other players, Jones knows he's near the end, knows he'll have trouble staying healthy, and knows we'll be bringing in his replacement, try and think like him, at 10 mil. next year could be his last, or a 2 or 3 year new deal at 6 per could mean retiring as a Packer, Taylor is younger and also very explosive, a 1, 2 punch of Taylor and Jones is what this offense needs, and the chance that we are able to draft that production ( zach moss) is no sure thing, as I said, I would have traded for Taylor 2 weeks ago.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

[mention]Yoop[/mention]

I move this tangent discussion here since you ignored the last paragraph of my previous post.

Anyway…

That level of disrespect to Jones, especially after he redid his deal last year to stay with the team, would be a black eye on the Packers organization for a football generation.

Jones isn’t nearly done. Jones has shown himself to be the most valuable piece to the offense THIS YEAR. That’s just….I don’t even know how to categorize it…nuts.

It’s also funny how you repeatedly bring up the injury concern for Jones but completely ignore Taylor’s own lengthy injury history.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
26 Sep 2023 16:36
@Yoop

I move this tangent discussion here since you ignored the last paragraph of my previous post.

Anyway…

That level of disrespect to Jones, especially after he redid his deal last year to stay with the team, would be a black eye on the Packers organization for a football generation.

Jones isn’t nearly done. Jones has shown himself to be the most valuable piece to the offense THIS YEAR. That’s just….I don’t even know how to categorize it…nuts.

It’s also funny how you repeatedly bring up the injury concern for Jones but completely ignore Taylor’s own lengthy injury history.
what lengthy injury history? he lost one season, and Jones has been in the league twice as long, and many here never even wanted to pony up and pay Jones in the first place.

why all this concern for Jones, there is no disrespect for Jones other then what your attempting to blame me for, and it's a figment of you imagination, I was the bandstand leader for signing Jones all along.

I seriously don't know where your coming from concerning this other then simply to trash talk a younger and just as potent a RB as Jones.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote: why all this concern for Jones, there is no disrespect for Jones other then what your attempting to blame me for, and it's a figment of you imagination, I was the bandstand leader for signing Jones all along.

I seriously don't know where you’re coming from concerning this other then simply to trash talk a younger and just as potent a RB as Jones.
No disrespect?

You suggested resigning him to a low ball offer and then turn around and take on Taylor at $10m per.

And if he’s just as potent as Jones… :thwap:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
24 Sep 2023 08:40
Great story, Ringo!

How’d you get down to the field? Did you somehow procure a sideline pass? Or just jump the barricade?

Nowadays you could just jump the wall without fear of prosecution…but that’s another topic entirely. ;)
How I got down there on the field is story all by itself. I did NOT have a sideline pass. When the game ended I mosied over to the front row behind the Packers bench and watched the stadium empty minus the Packers fans that clustered behind one of the endzone goal posts waiting for Green Bay TV to beam the post game interviews to wherever they went. Almost adjacent to the Packers bench was a San Francisco mounted police/sheriff on a horse. I got his attention after the equipment crew wheeled off all of the Packers bench equipment, and asked if it was OK for me to have my picture taken sitting on the empty Packers bench. He gave me the green light, and before I knew it I was sitting on the bench where I found someone to take my picture (I had a portable film camera something you'd get at Walgreens or Osco back in the day). Also almost simultaneously after the picture was taken the mounted police and his horse departed / disappeared (whereabouts unknown) ........... allowing me to freely wander wherever I wanted inside the area of the playing field.

I then mosied over to the endzone where the Green Bay TV was set up .......... met John Jurkovic and had a very short chat about the big win. Watched the TV interview happenings for a bit..........got bored because I couldn't hear what was being said ........... so I reached down and grabbed the endzone grass, and scurried out of there to get to SFO.

I look back and now realize that Packers history (basically inept playoff game results starting with NFC Divisional playoff game loss versus the Redskins at RFK in 1972, to playoff losses at Texas Stadium versus Dallas in 1982, 1993 and 1994) and the Packers first NFC Championship Game since 1967 in the 1995 NFC Championship Game versus Dallas in Dallas at Texas Stadium, was a very big deal in the eyes of the Packers historians, curators, etc.

In much less dramatic fashion I was able to buy a piece of artificial turf from Super Bowl 45 on eBay once it went on sale following the Super Bowl XLV win over Pittsburgh. I display the turf in my Packers room along with a couple of 2010 season Packers mini-helmets.

GO PACK GO!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Jones deserves a SB ring. :) (as a Packer)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
26 Sep 2023 17:23
Yoop wrote: why all this concern for Jones, there is no disrespect for Jones other then what your attempting to blame me for, and it's a figment of you imagination, I was the bandstand leader for signing Jones all along.

I seriously don't know where you’re coming from concerning this other then simply to trash talk a younger and just as potent a RB as Jones.
No disrespect?

You suggested resigning him to a low ball offer and then turn around and take on Taylor at $10m per.

And if he’s just as potent as Jones… :thwap:
no worries, where no longer interested in signing him, according to the latest news anyway.

6 mil is not a low ball figure, the plan according to most here when the deal was struck was that we'd keep Jones the first 2 years and renegotiate after that, I expect that will happen, your making a fuss over a predictable thing, do you just want to let the RB situation fester and decline the way the GM's let the receiver situation get to? I don't, we are seeing that happen with Jones on the mend.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

So LaFleur... If you knew we were doing the same things over and over again to stop the run and it isn't working, to which you deem this strategy insane, WTF have you done nothing about this and waited???? I am not sure I want Jim Leonhard, but he might be more innovating than Barry, and he's a damn analyst for $%@# Illinois. 1 game in 24 days. Now is the time!

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Huddle up ! Got to meet Jordan Love this afternoon at a signing event in Waukesha. Seems like a respectful young man. Glad he's our QB . Got a JLove autographed mini helmet. Sharpe, Watson and Van Ness were there as well. Go Pack Go!