Rasul Traded to Bills

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Suuuulll

Amazing
No votes
Good
11%
Ok
33%
Don’t like it
50%
Fire TT
6%

Total votes: 18

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
02 Nov 2023 06:31
Yoop wrote:
02 Nov 2023 06:24
lupedafiasco wrote:
01 Nov 2023 20:00
I’m honestly surprised by the amount of push back on this trade across various social media platforms and Packers bloggers. I think people really underestimated the extent of this rebuild.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by the incorrect amount of “re” words thrown around in the off-season. I heard retool or reload or reenergize. A lot of people are really scared to deep dive just how bad things truly are on this roster. There are very few real ascending players.
because we think your over stating how bad this roster is :idn:
We are probably eating around another $30M in dead cap next season. At least that.
but who isn't, seems to me I read a lot of teams are in the same boat, we can both be competitive, as well as clean the books, I thought that was the plan :idn:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I don't like the trade based on what Rasul brought to this team, but I understand why it was done.

Rasul's play and leadership was one of the few highlights on a, once again, underperforming defense. He was respected and he was accountable. He was also relatively young and affordable. It's tough to get past all of that when you consider he checks all the veteran blocks you're looking for on a young and inexperienced team.

Unfortunately, the rebuild is now in motion. Out with the old, in with the new. He was an asset the FO could turn for a day 2 pick and they did it. Got decent value and that's that.

My consequential fear coming out of this is that it now provides an excuse for Barry and the defense to struggle even further as this season goes down the toilet bowl. With 10 games remaining, there is plenty of time to rebuild a narrative around "playing young players" for the continued failures in coverage and whatnot when, as we all know, those failures have been happening for over two years. It would not surprise me to see Barry back as DC again next year now that the "rebuild" provides good coverage (good coverage - the irony) for his play-calling and soft scheme ineptness.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

what I understand about it still leads me to believe it was a poor move, the compensation is a promissory note, basically worthless till proven other wise with less then a 40% chance of success, Rasul's continued success is far higher, so that argument from Guty falls on these deaf ears.

I also question this defense being in rebuild mode, imho it's been in rebuild mode since 2014, I'am still convinced that the biggest problem we have on defense is named Joe Barry, and Gute should focus on that, he has the nucleus of a excellent front 7, just needs a DB or two.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

MY_TAKE wrote:
01 Nov 2023 13:09

There are rumors we may see Clifford soon if things don't get better.
I guess Chris Simms saying it on whatever NBC show he is on does constitute a rumor...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I like Gute. I think all things considered he's done mostly a pretty decent job at a minimum. Factoring draft day, trades, selections FA, additions, subtractions etc, I don't have a problem with him at all. But I do with this move. I just can't make it make sense. Moving a guy like Preston, yeah. who I also really like, I think he's underrated actually by a lot of fans, but he won't be here probably next year let alone 2 or 3 years from now. I think Rasul absolutely would have been, and given us good production at a premium position for not a lot of money.

But Rasul, and send a 5th for a late 3rd? we should have gotten a 3rd and a 5th for him and i'm more on board. "rebuild doesn't mean you gut a team. It means you keep good core guys that have some years left, move the old, replace the non producers with youth to show you what they have and shed aging vets with high cap numbers. He checks zero of those boxes that mean you send, and checks more than a couple that mean you keep.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Nov 2023 08:12
MY_TAKE wrote:

I guess Chris Simms saying it on whatever NBC show he is on does constitute a rumor...
Love is playing good enough for you?

Your standards have dropped from what I remember.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

musclestang wrote:
02 Nov 2023 08:22
I like Gute. I think all things considered he's done mostly a pretty decent job at a minimum. Factoring draft day, trades, selections FA, additions, subtractions etc, I don't have a problem with him at all. But I do with this move. I just can't make it make sense. Moving a guy like Preston, yeah. who I also really like, I think he's underrated actually by a lot of fans, but he won't be here probably next year let alone 2 or 3 years from now. I think Rasul absolutely would have been, and given us good production at a premium position for not a lot of money.

But Rasul, and send a 5th for a late 3rd? we should have gotten a 3rd and a 5th for him and i'm more on board. "rebuild doesn't mean you gut a team. It means you keep good core guys that have some years left, move the old, replace the non producers with youth to show you what they have and shed aging vets with high cap numbers. He checks zero of those boxes that mean you send, and checks more than a couple that mean you keep.
Gute is an egotistical retard ... we will recognise it when he gets fired.

I dont feel bad for a guy that had made millions

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
02 Nov 2023 08:23
Pckfn23 wrote:
MY_TAKE wrote:

Yes because that is what I said... :roll:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Nov 2023 08:43
bud fox wrote:
02 Nov 2023 08:23
Pckfn23 wrote:

Yes because that is what I said... :roll:
Anyone who thinks Clifford will do better obviously never watched him play at Penn State. He was unbelievably inconsistent and actually kept the team from being better than it could have been. To use his preseason play as the rationale for this is not a good argument, since Love looked pretty darn good in preseasons too.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

williewasgreat wrote:
02 Nov 2023 10:03

Anyone who thinks Clifford will do better obviously never watched him play at Penn State. He was unbelievably inconsistent and actually kept the team from being better than it could have been. To use his preseason play as the rationale for this is not a good argument, since Love looked pretty darn good in preseasons too.
I think he'd run around and sling some balls and make it exciting and we'd lose more spectacularly than we are now :) I foresee a lot of exciting plays and a lot of busted WTF plays and turnovers that would more than negate the good ones. Fun to watch in the preseason, not so much when the games really count.

There's enough going on around Love that needs to improve before I think of taking him out. Though he's not been near perfect or even really good, he's doing enough things right that unless someone else is clearly the better guy, he's not getting benched.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Based on what I've seen so far, Sean Clifford is basically Joe Callahan, but with a bit higher ceiling. Or Taylor Heinicke at best.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
02 Nov 2023 12:21
Based on what I've seen so far, Sean Clifford is basically Joe Callahan, but with a bit higher ceiling. Or Taylor Heinicke at best.
Bo Callahan?
image.png
image.png (118.03 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
image.png
image.png (383.95 KiB) Viewed 3747 times

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Nov 2023 12:23
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
02 Nov 2023 12:21
Bo Callahan?
Joe Callahan, one time preseason darling

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

APB wrote:
02 Nov 2023 06:56
I don't like the trade based on what Rasul brought to this team, but I understand why it was done.

Rasul's play and leadership was one of the few highlights on a, once again, underperforming defense. He was respected and he was accountable. He was also relatively young and affordable. It's tough to get past all of that when you consider he checks all the veteran blocks you're looking for on a young and inexperienced team.

Unfortunately, the rebuild is now in motion. Out with the old, in with the new. He was an asset the FO could turn for a day 2 pick and they did it. Got decent value and that's that.

My consequential fear coming out of this is that it now provides an excuse for Barry and the defense to struggle even further as this season goes down the toilet bowl. With 10 games remaining, there is plenty of time to rebuild a narrative around "playing young players" for the continued failures in coverage and whatnot when, as we all know, those failures have been happening for over two years. It would not surprise me to see Barry back as DC again next year now that the "rebuild" provides good coverage (good coverage - the irony) for his play-calling and soft scheme ineptness.
Agree with most of this. But my issue with the pick is that Gute got fleeced. I would be unhappy but understand if it was Rasul for a 3rd. But they also gave up a 5th. The 3rd they get will be low, and the 5th bill be high. Moving up 40 spots (at best) for giving up Rasul, the best playing DB this season, was getting fleeced. MLF and Gutenbumst just didn't like that Rasul is vocal and sent him packing. Simple as that. Awful message to send the team.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

bud fox wrote:
02 Nov 2023 08:26

Gute is an egotistical #$%!@& ... we will recognise it when he gets fired.

I dont feel bad for a guy that had made millions
AR made him millions. Him and MLF should have statutes of AR in their backyards that they pray to every day.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Gutes an ahole
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Gutekunst an ahole for doing his job??

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Nov 2023 13:54

Gutes an ahole
What was he supposed to do? Drive to his house and tell him hes being traded? Should he tell him theyre in talks of trading him and disgruntle him if the trade doesnt go through?

I hate Gutenbumst too. I think he is one of the worst GMs currently in the NFL but he made the right decision here and went about it the right way.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:

Gutes an ahole
I'm interested because unfortunately I have to terminate people too.

How else should Gute have gone about it? I guess he could have asked him to come to his office.

But it was a Tuesday (player day off) so Rasul would have had to drive to Lambeau.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go wrote:
02 Nov 2023 14:21
Drj820 wrote:

Gutes an ahole
I'm interested because unfortunately I have to terminate people too.

How else should Gute have gone about it? I guess he could have asked him to come to his office.

But it was a Tuesday (player day off) so Rasul would have had to drive to Lambeau.
Doesn’t matter what the tweet would have said how it happened. Would have been a derogatory comment towards gute. Surely will be a few more.