Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

If the pass was perfect Watson catches that in stride and probably scores. Instead the ball is behind, Watson needs to turn around and back pedal. You only need to do that if that was either intentional or underthrown. The ball just drops into him even as he had to massively slow down.

We have seen Love continuously throw inaccurately down the field mostly in the underthrown category IMO. I would lean towards that being unintentional and Watson making an incredible catch (anyone else notice he alligator arms a lot?).
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Turn around and backpedal definitely does not mean under thrown.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lafleur said exactly what I said lol. We are smart.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 Nov 2023 10:45
The broadcast mentioned it yesterday, Love is trying to place the ball right now, which is something that wasn't happened earlier in the year. That's why we are getting a lot of short balls. It stems from a lack of confidence. That is one thing I want out of this team and Love, continue to improve and play with a level of confidence on offensive. Really need to get into a good rhythm and be able to trust everyone on the field.
I'll pat you, if you pat me.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

It is kind of weird how it is just always underthrown.

I am thinking that is better than just completely randomly off? At least it is consistent.

Probably being told to not overcompensate on it, trust the process, improve the fundamentals, footwork, grip, release etc. and it will start correcting. Does seem more fixable than if all over the place.

I think if he was just simply inaccurate, you'd see more misses everywhere.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
06 Nov 2023 19:41
It is kind of weird how it is just always underthrown.

I am thinking that is better than just completely randomly off? At least it is consistent.

Probably being told to not overcompensate on it, trust the process, improve the fundamentals, footwork, grip, release etc. and it will start correcting. Does seem more fixable than if all over the place.

I think if he was just simply inaccurate, you'd see more misses everywhere.
I think that's a product of trying to place it/aim it. When he lets it rip, it's right on.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

We're hearing the same comments about Love that people say about Zach Wilson. "They need to just it rip." I'm starting to think this offense that MLF and Hackett have put in place are not friendly to young QBs. It worked here because our OL was better at pass blocking and Rodgers was experienced to handle the nuances of it. But it seems to me the pass routes are terrible and it's really hard for these receivers to get open quick.

McVay didn't have great success until Stafford. Kyle Shanahan is the only one who stays true to the run and he seems to have the best version of the offense.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

packman114 wrote:
03 Nov 2023 08:55
This team will never be one that trades draft picks for star-type veterans. I personally like the draft and develop strategy. Trying to figure out which of these young players becomes the next Driver, Nelson, or Adams is fun for me. As for 3 years of practice should tell you if you have the right QB, well they made that decision already. Maybe this year gets us a Justin Jefferson type rookie next year!
The Packers needed to be more aggressive trading for veteran players as long as Rodgers was around. It's fine to solely rely on draft and develop at a time when the team isn't considered to be a contender.
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
03 Nov 2023 13:11
Yes, but the Wolf years were long enough ago to be a different era of the NFL. When Wolf retired in 2001, he said it was partly because making trades and managing the cap had gotten more difficult since the early 1990s.
That's not a legit excuse. There are a lot of teams trading for veteran players in this era as well, the Packers just aren't one of them.
Scott4Pack wrote:
05 Nov 2023 11:09
He still has stuff to improve, no doubt. Improving his accuracy, not making pressured decisions that lead to bad throws, leadership, and crunch time plays are a beginning. But those come with experience.
Unfortunately I don't believe that a quarterback's accuracy and decision making improves with experience.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Love will never be Rodgers, but I think he can be good, at least good enough for a well built team to contend.

While I don't think one can go from average passer to pinpoint accurate passer, at least half of his miscues seem to come from either late reaction, unsure/low confidence in route/receiver/his eyes, or being too cool imo and not stepping and ripping it.

So not all, but a fair amount of his more poor passes I think can improve with playing. Of course that depends on him. How confident does he become in his eyes and what he's seeing, the receivers and doing their jobs etc. of course Favre seemed to need 5 throw a ways to start every game because he was always too juiced to start LOL. but he can't help it if he was a slow learner :)

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lol

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

CWIMM wrote:
09 Nov 2023 04:35
Crazylegs Starks wrote: ↑Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:11 pm
Yes, but the Wolf years were long enough ago to be a different era of the NFL. When Wolf retired in 2001, he said it was partly because making trades and managing the cap had gotten more difficult since the early 1990s.
That's not a legit excuse. There are a lot of teams trading for veteran players in this era as well, the Packers just aren't one of them.
actually I remember it more along the lines of, Since the addition of UFA it is so much harder to keep a great team together, and coupled with my wife's Illness, age, it's time to retire.

I thought that was a valid point, UFA has changed the landscape a lot, because of it, D&D no longer can be the main focus to building a team, with so many players opting to not sign what are fair contracts it's become a bidding war for there services, as a result player contracts have shot through the roof, and as Wolf said the quality per team suffers.

A GM works his tail off to build a great team, 4 or 5 years later he watch's all that work walk out the door

on one hand players should have the right to leave after rookie contract, my issue is the bidding war, always felt a cap of some sort would have helped GM's better retain there drafted players

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Those of you so quick to label Love as a bust, please read Cliff Christl's column about how long it took Bart Starr to establish himself and what he went through. https://www.packers.com/news/yes-vince- ... n-meredith

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

williewasgreat wrote:
09 Nov 2023 10:44
Those of you so quick to label Love as a bust, please read Cliff Christl's column about how long it took Bart Starr to establish himself and what he went through. https://www.packers.com/news/yes-vince- ... n-meredith
I am guilty of sort of calling him a bust. But he has the remainder of the season to prove me wrong and others.
I hope he does, because it is an innate quality of mine to "fall in Love" with all Packer QBs!! Cant tell you how much I loved as a youngster Lynn Dickey and Don Majkowski. Part of the problem is we having been watching mostly greatness the last 30 years

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

williewasgreat wrote:
Can't compare the eras.

Any current players that were this bad in their 4th year and then turned it around?

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

bud fox wrote:
09 Nov 2023 17:42
williewasgreat wrote:
Can't compare the eras.

Any current players that were this bad in their 4th year and then turned it around?
Matt Stafford in his 4th year had a 59.8% completion rate, 20 TDs and 17 INTs, QBR 79.8.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

dsr wrote:
09 Nov 2023 19:01
bud fox wrote:
williewasgreat wrote:
Can't compare the eras.

Matt Stafford in his 4th year had a 59.8% completion rate, 20 TDs and 17 INTs, QBR 79.8.
Just off the top of my head, Geno Smith is another one who struggled early but found latter career success.

TheWolfman
Reactions:

Post by TheWolfman »

TheSkeptic wrote:
11 May 2023 02:03
I do not expect Love to be as good as either Rodgers or Favre or even Majik. Those 3 had more talent than Love has. But I expect Love to be a good game manager, to take what the D gives him, to hand the ball to Jones or Dillon and let them and the Oline take the steam out of the opposing D. To make the 10 yard throw to Watson or Reed and watch them tag on YAC. To make the 7 yard pass on 3rd and 5 to the new TE's or a screen pass to the RB. To be careful with the ball but to also understand that punting is a failure by the QB and almost as bad as an interception.

This is a good O. Last season the Oline was not healthy. Watson missed half the season before he got healthy and then Doubs got hurt. Jones and Dillon did not have great years because the blocking was not consistent. Right now, the O looks the best it has been in a long time. Love does not need to win games, he just needs not to lose them. And that is precisely what he will do, just win.

As for comparison, well my all time favorite Packer. Bart Starr. Never had the greatest arm like Unitas, but good enough to make tough passes. Never a scrambler like Tarkington, but not a target for Dlinemen either. Just a leader. Just a winner. Just a teammate.

It's 11/9/23, would you like to modify this post or do you still stand by all of it?
If your not the lead dog, then the scenery never changes.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

:box: yu
APB wrote:
09 Nov 2023 19:15
dsr wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Can't compare the eras.

Just off the top of my head, Geno Smith is another one who struggled early but found latter career success.
Steve Young was 3 and 16 as a starter his first 2 seasons in Tampa as a Buccaneer.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
09 Nov 2023 23:24
:box: yu
APB wrote:
dsr wrote:

Steve Young was 3 and 16 as a starter his first 2 seasons in Tampa as a Buccaneer.
Bingo. :hail:

Love is where he should be if the goal is to be an above average NFL QB next season, considering that his most experienced receivers/TE's are 2nd year men and his Oline is missing its best player and starting two 2nd year players and others have been playing hurt.

No team needs a MVP QB to win a SB. What every team needs is a QB that is paid at or below his ability and production. No team can win a SB with a MVP QB and a poor Oline because that QB will be on IR at the end of the season. But you take that money you would spend on a MVP QB and spend it on 6 quality Olinemen and you can win a SB with a below average QB. Then your only problem is that below average QB thinks he is better than he is, and demands to be paid better than his worth.

Love is never going to be an MVP. But he is going to be better than average, about 10th in the league. That is plenty good enough to retire with more than 1 SB ring as Rodgers has. Or 1 SB ring and 1 SB loss as Favre has. Just hope the Packers don't ruin it all by paying a #10 QB as if he were top 5, as the Vikings did with Cousins.

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Yoop wrote:
09 Nov 2023 08:36
actually I remember it more along the lines of, Since the addition of UFA it is so much harder to keep a great team together, and coupled with my wife's Illness, age, it's time to retire.

I thought that was a valid point, UFA has changed the landscape a lot, because of it, D&D no longer can be the main focus to building a team, with so many players opting to not sign what are fair contracts it's become a bidding war for there services, as a result player contracts have shot through the roof, and as Wolf said the quality per team suffers.

A GM works his tail off to build a great team, 4 or 5 years later he watch's all that work walk out the door

on one hand players should have the right to leave after rookie contract, my issue is the bidding war, always felt a cap of some sort would have helped GM's better retain there drafted players
There's absolutely no doubt free agency completely changed the landscape for a general manager in the NFL. Wolf was partly responsible for that as it was him signing the first huge free agent contract when he lured Reggie White to Green Bay though ;)
dsr wrote:
Stafford had thrown for 41 touchdowns the previous season though.
APB wrote:
Smith is a good example although he only started a total of five games after his second season before becoming the starter in Seattle last year in his ninth season in the league.