The Rebuild

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Nov 2023 08:24
Labrev wrote:
16 Nov 2023 08:20
Drj820 wrote:
16 Nov 2023 08:08
the problem with the defense is draft philosophy.

The guys that were dogs in college are still dogs in the NFL: Basically guys like Jaire and even Quay.

But for years the packers have drafted raw talent that they project to be able to develop. These are guys that even though they had crazy amounts of talent, they STILL under produced in college. Gary is a good example.

.... your example is, the best player on this team? :dunno:
He is a perfect example of the draft philosophy. Low production in college, great measurables, years to develop.
Toss up outcome.
Josh Jackson had great production in college. He was so easy to fall in love with by watching his tape.

Honestly drafting just isn't straightforward at all.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
16 Nov 2023 09:15
Drj820 wrote:
16 Nov 2023 08:36
nobody wants to say it out loud, so i guess I will have to be the forum bad guy once again:

Rashan Gary has been a ghost since signing his big deal.
I was actually hoping someone would say this, so that I would say THIS :twisted: : (1) it's been two games; (2) upon review, Gary drew extra attention from the opposing offenses we faced, especially PIT, which still benefits the defense because it takes pressure off of others i.e. makes it easier to make a play.
even though you have great hair, i would not expect anything different from the founder of the #garygang.

Only a member of GaryGang would consider paying 90m+ for 4.5 sacks in a season as a good return on investment.

Gary has been mid. those of us not in gary cult see it clearly.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Honestly, when college football fans talk about draft prospects, I mostly tune them out.

Now if it is related to a specific skill, like dropped passes, that has some actual value, but takes like "he got burned against Oklahoma State; he's not a Top 10 prospect" go into the wastebin.

Those people just don't get it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Nov 2023 09:50
Labrev wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
nobody wants to say it out loud, so i guess I will have to be the forum bad guy once again:

I was actually hoping someone would say this, so that I would say THIS :twisted: : (1) it's been two games; (2) upon review, Gary drew extra attention from the opposing offenses we faced, especially PIT, which still benefits the defense because it takes pressure off of others i.e. makes it easier to make a play.
even though you have great hair, i would not expect anything different from the founder of the #garygang.

Only a member of GaryGang would consider paying 90m+ for 4.5 sacks in a season as a good return on investment.

Gary hasn’t been mid. He’s been a terrific pressure generator. More finished would be nice. What’s holding him back is stopping the run. Something I think he is close to is being Brandon Graham, also from Michigan who was just terrific off the edge but never generated the sacks. If Gary is that it’s still good value.

He’s gotta start holding the edge better and stop over pursuing and losing his gap.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
16 Nov 2023 09:36
Drj820 wrote:
16 Nov 2023 08:24
Labrev wrote:
16 Nov 2023 08:20

.... your example is, the best player on this team? :dunno:
He is a perfect example of the draft philosophy. Low production in college, great measurables, years to develop.
Toss up outcome.
Josh Jackson had great production in college. He was so easy to fall in love with by watching his tape.

Honestly drafting just isn't straightforward at all.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_H ... hy_winners

Lot of college production on that list and a lot of NFL busts.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

college production is not a guarantee for a draft prospect

but i would wager someone who produced is more likely to succeed than someone who did not.

Not a hot take lol

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Wasn't the original take though:
Low production in college, great measurables, years to develop.
Toss up outcome.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Nov 2023 09:57
college production is not a guarantee for a draft prospect

but i would wager someone who produced is more likely to succeed than someone who did not.

Not a hot take lol
Name one elite NFL player that is not also a great athlete.

You can get away with being a JAG at the college level, but athleticism reigns supreme in the NFL.
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Nov 2023 10:00
Toss up outcome.
ya and the original take is still true lol

low production with good measurables is very much toss up territory.

Because there is a reason a player has the physical tools to dominate and yet does not.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Nov 2023 10:10
Pckfn23 wrote:
Toss up outcome.

Because there is a reason a player has the physical tools to dominate and yet does not.
Again, not the original take.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Here again I go with the data.

Thought this was interesting.

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/a ... -football/
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I will say that at ILB and RB, I make an exception, and to a lesser extent S and OL. Those are positions where you need the smarts to be at least solid (at RB, vision) and if you don't have it by college, it's probably not gonna happen.

Every other position (EDGE, QB, WR, TE, DL, most OL, and CB)... get great traits.
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 Nov 2023 10:14
Drj820 wrote:
16 Nov 2023 10:10
Pckfn23 wrote:

Again, not the original take.
a player with great measurables and low production against his peers with much worse measurables is even more of a red flag. Anything else?

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Simply one of the many variables that must be taken into account when drafting players.

Now that those goalposts are set, let's get back to Gary. Here is a nice article:
https://thepowersweep.com/blog/revisiti ... oductivity

Great measurables and great college production both come with their pitfalls when trying to predict NFL production.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
16 Nov 2023 09:50
Labrev wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

ahhhh, he's on pace for 50 pressures and has been recovering from a ACL and on a pitch count, I wish he could finish with more sacks, but he 's very close on many of his pressures, little better edge contain ( 99.5% edge rushers suck at edge contain)

I didn't like the pick, but not many complaints with the player.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

RAS is where it's AT! 8-) :mrgreen: :aok: :banana: :beer2:
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
16 Nov 2023 10:44
horse manure :lol: , nothing takes the place for a eye for talent, from a great scout, if all that mattered was ras scores there would be no need to employ scouts :idn: all that would be needed is data tabulators :rotf:, instead of general managers, you could just incorporate AI, the pressers would consist of a talking Robot :hide:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
16 Nov 2023 10:59
Labrev wrote:
horse manure :lol: , nothing takes the place for a eye for talent, from a great scout, if all that mattered was ras scores there would be no need to employ scouts :idn: all that would be needed is data tabulators :rotf:, instead of general managers, you could just incorporate AI, the pressers would consist of a talking Robot :hide:
Yeah because the 50% at bat rates of scouts in the first round gives me confidence in their eye for talent. :lol:
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Scouts serve certain purposes which can't be substituted with RAS but at the end of the day, there is a minimum athletic threshold needed to be an NFL player at all that every prospect has to meet to even have a chance to stay on a roster and see the field, much less be any good.

There are no sub-par athletes among the elite NFL players, they are all physical freaks.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
16 Nov 2023 11:11
Yoop wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Yeah because the 50% at bat rates of scouts in the first round gives me confidence in their eye for talent. :lol:
can you imagine the miss rate if all we went off was ras scores, and actually the hit rate does exceed 50% for all positions :)