Rasul Traded to Bills

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Suuuulll

Amazing
No votes
Good
11%
Ok
33%
Don’t like it
50%
Fire TT
6%

Total votes: 18

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Nov 2023 20:28
I know I got ridiculed for a while about “speculation”, but it was pretty obvious from the first report that Gutes communication was an F-

I mean rasul left the convo not sure if it was real or not and gutey didn’t call back to make sure he knew it was real.

Super problematic.
Yeah. You didn't know any of that until we actually watched the Rasul press conference.

Just wait. The tweets were incredibly lazy. You also implied Gute should have done it face to face when we now know that wasn't practical.

Yes Gute should have been better on the phone. He handled that poorly. Though even that we don't know the extent of the conversation outside of the Murphy comment making it sound like Mark was much better.

No Gute wasn't in the wrong for telling him he was traded over the phone like it was first insinuated. Douglas wasn't in the building. The phone made the most sense.

Just slow down on the assumptions. Let the info come out
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
02 Nov 2023 20:52
Drj820 wrote:
02 Nov 2023 20:28
I know I got ridiculed for a while about “speculation”, but it was pretty obvious from the first report that Gutes communication was an F-

I mean rasul left the convo not sure if it was real or not and gutey didn’t call back to make sure he knew it was real.

Super problematic.
Yeah. You didn't know any of that until we actually watched the Rasul press conference.

Just wait. The tweets were incredibly lazy. You also implied Gute should have done it face to face when we now know that wasn't practical.

Yes Gute should have been better on the phone. He handled that poorly. Though even that we don't know the extent of the conversation outside of the Murphy comment making it sound like Mark was much better.

No Gute wasn't in the wrong for telling him he was traded over the phone like it was first insinuated. Douglas wasn't in the building. The phone made the most sense.

Just slow down on the assumptions. Let the info come out
The tweet I originally shared was composed from quotes from rasul. They told me all I needed to know. Sorry I was right about the situation.
Last edited by Drj820 on 02 Nov 2023 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
02 Nov 2023 20:08
Drj820 wrote:
02 Nov 2023 20:04
Listen to what he says. Says gutey just said “we’re trading you” and then they hung up. Sounds like Gutey said so little rasul wasn’t even convinced it was real. Then Murphy called and they had a real conversation.

Weird
Yeah so this I have a problem with for sure. The person breaking the news needs to put a little more thought into what he’s going to say. Why is this Gutey decision to trade him but Murphy thanking him for all he’s done?

I think the trade makes all the sense in the world but now we have 3 straight years with Adams, then Rodgers, now Rasul traded. If I didn’t know any better I’d say Josh McDaniels was running this team like he did with the Broncos.
why didn't Guty just redial, why hand that off to Murphy, why would Sul think it was a joke? all far fetched to me, getting traded isn't something to joke about, leadership, being more vocal, accountability, these all of us feel have been missing with Lafleur, Barry, Gutekunst, I still think they where included when Douglas blamed or said he had to be a better leader, Guty said no, but who's going to publicly challenge him with that unless some player speaks up, which would put there stay in jeopardy, I love Alexander, as he said, I'am not biting my tongue any longer, makes me feel this experiment with Joe Barry is coming to a end, to bad it cost us Rasul

who cares if he was in the building, he was shortly later, did Guty take a walk down to the suana? just asking, I don't know, but since Guty didn't redial, ( maybe just busy, orrrrr) a face to face might have been awkward.
water over the dam now, not the first time, surely wont be the last.

there was some humor to be had though, when he talked about the compensation I near swallowed my dentures, no way that guy should ever consider sales as a profession, course when ya see Sweat, and Chase ??? go for 3rd rounders, getting what seems like a 4th is ball park, to me though all 3 where dead line steals.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Gotta say, the more I think about this move, and the more that comes out about the reception of it internally, the more I dislike it.

I get that we are probably not competing for anything this year, but establishing the right culture is important to a rebuilding team, and Sul was one of the only guys who exerted positive influence on the org's culture. The only guy like that in the secondary.

I think we should have just hung onto him, as long as he was willing to be here.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
03 Nov 2023 10:16
Sul was one of the only guys who exerted positive influence on the org's culture. The only guy like that in the secondary.
I strongly question the validity of both these statements.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Labrev wrote:
Gotta say, the more I think about this move, and the more that comes out about the reception of it internally, the more I dislike it.

I get that we are probably not competing for anything this year, but establishing the right culture is important to a rebuilding team, and Sul was one of the only guys who exerted positive influence on the org's culture. The only guy like that in the secondary.

I think we should have just hung onto him, as long as he was willing to be here.
Rasul was screaming at the offense in practices telling them how bad they were.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

lupedafiasco wrote:
03 Nov 2023 12:17
Labrev wrote:

Rasul was screaming at the offense in practices telling them how bad they were.
MY guess is he was right. Facts are facts. The offense is horrific. 'Sounds like a little bit like Jimmy 'Butler of the Heat

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
03 Nov 2023 12:13
Labrev wrote:
Sul was one of the only guys who exerted positive influence on the org's culture. The only guy like that in the secondary.
I strongly question the validity of both these statements.
why? we just heard Alexander say he wont bite his tongue any longer, which seems to say he had been, and we hear almost nothing from anyone else, the FO put Savage on the bench for speaking up last year, so there is some validity that Rasul was the only boat rocker, and now he's gone.

seems obvious to me that when Sul spoke about being a leader, he wasn't just referring to himself, or other players, imho that was directed at the coaches, and that was the main reason he is no longer here.

who can say who called who first, now maybe he wasn't going to sell Sul over the comments, however when the Bills called it made it to easy to do so, and thats if in fact the Bills reached out first, for all we know Ted may have called some other team, didn't work, that GM notified the Bills and then they called Brian, who's to know unless a insider says so?

I learned long ago that GM's don't open up completely, or even are truthful when they seem to, and nothing about us selling Rasul makes any sense to me not a thing. :dunno:

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

Yoop wrote:
02 Nov 2023 06:24
most of our problems this season are either health related or youth with lack of experience, no reason to call this a rebuild year, or do a fire sale as you'd hope for,
Gutekunst is the one responsible for the roster being that young though. While they might improve with more experience at this point the roster is mostly bad.
Yoop wrote:
02 Nov 2023 06:37
but who isn't, seems to me I read a lot of teams are in the same boat, we can both be competitive, as well as clean the books, I thought that was the plan :idn:
The Packers have the third most dead money counting against their cap this season. At this point they aren't on the hook for a ton of it for next season but that might change in the offseason.
musclestang wrote:
02 Nov 2023 08:22
I like Gute. I think all things considered he's done mostly a pretty decent job at a minimum. Factoring draft day, trades, selections FA, additions, subtractions etc, I don't have a problem with him at all.
Gutekunst did a great job up until the 2020 draft. Since then, he has definitely made more terrible, head scratching moves than good ones.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I wonder if the Packers FO now regrets trading away Rasul? I know I do. The youngin's have been good thus far but I'd say I'm far from trusting them in a big spot.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

APB wrote:
06 Dec 2023 15:56
I wonder if the Packers FO now regrets trading away Rasul? I know I do. The youngin's have been good thus far but I'd say I'm far from trusting them in a big spot.
weirdly the secondary play has improved since his absence.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

This is like me trading Herbert and then, magically, going 6-4 after that. Why can you not stop me? Why? :lol:
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I want us to play to make the playoffs, and I did not like trading Sul because he's a guy that helps win you games.

But if we make the playoffs anyway, that will nullify my criticism of the move, because we will have received the desired result -and- gotten a 3rd for him.
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
06 Dec 2023 15:56
Um. We are 4-1 post trade and 2-5 pre-trade.

So I think we know what the ACTUAL problem was in 2023. ;)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

seems it's up to a dis gruntled player to jump start this defense/team the last 2 seasons, last year it was Alexander, then Savage, this year Rasul Douglas, calling out the offense upset the coaches so much it got him a ticket out of town, however just look at the reaction, Barry has the defense firing off the ball, more heavy front, more man and tighter coverage, less of the soft cushion zone, all of a sudden the defense is trending up the way we've expected it to for the last couple years.

so to is the offense, since the call out, it has becomes one of the better offenses in the league

we lub you Sully :aok:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Bills only have a 13% chance of making the playoffs right now. Funny cause we are both 6-6. They got a real tough schedule.

Looking to keep it a pretty good pick.

I was projecting it would be more like a 92 for 135 pick swap at the time.

Now it might be looking more like an 80 for 155.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
07 Dec 2023 06:59
seems it's up to a dis gruntled player to jump start this defense/team the last 2 seasons, last year it was Alexander, then Savage, this year Rasul Douglas, calling out the offense upset the coaches so much it got him a ticket out of town, however just look at the reaction, Barry has the defense firing off the ball, more heavy front, more man and tighter coverage, less of the soft cushion zone, all of a sudden the defense is trending up the way we've expected it to for the last couple years.

so to is the offense, since the call out, it has becomes one of the better offenses in the league

'Kinda hard to jumpstart a team when you are not on it.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
07 Dec 2023 08:07
Yoop wrote:
07 Dec 2023 06:59

'Kinda hard to jumpstart a team when you are not on it.
duh, action has reaction, sometimes good, sometimes bad

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

If you've read any of Ty Dunne's 3 articles on the Bills - I don't think Rasul is enjoying it all that much
Sounds like a very dysfunctional situation in Orchard Park, which is unfortunate. But I won't cry too much if GB nets a better pick out of their recent struggles.

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-mcdermot ... t-ii-lost
IT. IS. TIME

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

When the trade was made, it looked like the Packers were out of the playoff hunt.

Rasul might have been the difference in the Giant's game. The Packers would be highly likely to make the playoffs had they beaten the Giants.

That trade looks a lot worse now